Topic: Anxiety in the middle of the night, how to get past it?

Forum: Mental Health: Because Cancer Doesn't Just Affect Your Breasts — Meet and support others who are affected by these issues around anxiety, depression & other emotional effects.

Posted on: Feb 2, 2022 09:09PM

Posted on: Feb 2, 2022 09:09PM

kksmom3 wrote:

Background - I think I know why this is happening ..... 3.5 years after diagnosis. The why is because a close friend just got diagnosed with a rare, lethal cancer, bile duct cancer. The stats are not good. He had an extensive surgery and is recovering but the long term outlook isn't good. I am scared for him and his wife, who is also a good friend.

At least I think that's why, it's very upsetting and disheartening and I guess it stirs up all my angst again. I was just starting to feel better.

Does this or has this happened to any of you? I suppose it's normal. It's all of a sudden, I wake up, and I feel this huge wave of despair come over me. It passes in a few seconds but it is the most awful physical sensation.

I try to remain calm, wait and pray. Remind myself to stay still and breathe. I manage to go back to sleep but this is bothering me.

I'm hoping in time it will pass. It seems my anxiety rears back up anytime I hear of a friend being diagnosed. It sucks. It's so lonely too.

Anyone else go thru this?

Dx 8/8/2018, DCIS/IDC, Right, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 10/1/2018 Lumpectomy; Lumpectomy (Right); Lymph node removal Radiation Therapy 10/29/2018 Whole breast: Breast, Lymph nodes

Page 3 of 3 (24 results)

Feb 7, 2022 11:29PM minustwo wrote:

Mia - that is Great. Hope you don't mind if I steal it. "Wait on the Porch"

2/15/11 BMX-DCIS 2SNB clear-TEs; 9/15/11-410gummies; 3/20/13 recurrance-5.5cm,mets to lymphs, Stage IIIB IDC ER/PRneg,HER2+; TCH/Perjeta/Neulasta x6; ALND 9/24/13 1/18 nodes 4.5cm; AC chemo 10/30/13 x3; herceptin again; Rads Feb2014

Feb 15, 2022 05:12PM homemom wrote:

I take a Zzquil every night, just one. I'll be asleep in 15-30 min after I climb into bed, the tv helps too. I like to watch House Hunters on HGTV. If I wake up in the middle of the night (usually between 2 and 3) I'll also try to solve the world's, aka as my family, ills. If I focus on relaxing my shoulders, that starts to help. Then I think of something mundane, like opening my car door, or taking a walk to the corner. Those are the kind of things your brain shows you when your "mind wanders" just before you go out. If I have to pee or blow my nose, it'll take longer!

Dx 3/31/2014, IDC, 2cm, Stage IIB, Grade 1, 3/29 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 4/15/2014 Lumpectomy; Lumpectomy (Left) Surgery 5/6/2014 Lymph node removal; Lymph node removal (Left): Underarm/Axillary; Mastectomy; Mastectomy (Left); Reconstruction (Left): Tissue Expander Chemotherapy 5/30/2014 AC Chemotherapy 7/25/2014 Taxol (paclitaxel) Radiation Therapy 10/16/2014 Hormonal Therapy 12/15/2014 Arimidex (anastrozole)

Jul 15, 2022 08:52AM gailmary wrote:

kksmom, I have been having a hard time of it too. So much anxiety , pain, depression, insomnia. Expetimenting with different sounds now. I try meditating without much luck some nights. Now I've got elevated blood pressure. I agreed to try antidepressants only to be hit with side effects. No surprise there. Back to experimenting with drugs.

Gailmary

Dx 11/25/2008, IDC, Left, 2cm, Stage IIA, Grade 1, 2/12 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx 4/13/2017, Stage IV, metastasized to bone Radiation Therapy 5/24/2017 Hormonal Therapy Faslodex (fulvestrant), Femara (letrozole)

Jul 16, 2022 10:44AM peacetoallcuzweneedit wrote:

I have dealt with the same thing since my diagnosis in 2017...and just like how I have processed the grief of losing someone I feel this is the same --> comes in waves (meaning I have good periods without it) and then periods of continual waves at 2am-4am....and I literally have to sit up in the bed and loudly say NO STOP! - it is everything, watching others pass in support groups, watching others get diagnosed and not make it one year, it is a crap load of crap.... the past two years with the pandemic and being in health care has been another crap load of crap...so I just keep going and pray the wave subsides until the next wave....I don't know how else to do it... you just get comfortable with "this is how it is" and keep moving.... until the next load of crap gets dumped at your feet, and you just figure it out from there...

5/2017 Left Breast DCIS 6cm Grade 3 6/2017 Right Breast IDC Stage 1A, Tmic 0.5mm, 100% ER+/100%PR+/ HER2- 6/2017 BMX, SNB left, TEs x 2 8/2017 TE deflated -Replaced Oct 2017 Hysterectomy + ooph 11/2017 Implant Exchange June 2018 Nipples.

Page 3 of 3 (24 results)

Scroll to top button