Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

"Friend" calls and asks to be put in my will WTF

Options

Who needs friends like that? Seriously, a drunk friend called and said she was broke and would I put her in my will.....since obviously she thinks I'm heading for my grave. I had Stage 1A, lumpectomy, clean nodes, radiation, Letrozole.....doing great life goes on. :) Career, life, health is going well!

What the hell is wrong with people? This is someone that I have known for over 40 years. Would like to send her an email to point out her lack of compassion, but where do you even start. I'm a very positive person. My response to her was that I have plans to live a very long life....then I heard her husband yell "put us in your will".

We live in a time where humans have become so self centered that it's hard to believe. In disbelief....

Just venting, thanks for listening!:)

Comments

• exbrnxgrl
    exbrnxgrl Member Posts: 4,766
    Options

I’m so glad you put the word “friend” in parentheses. Now you can change it to ex-friend. You mentioned that she was drunk and I’m sure some will urge you to forgive her due to her state. I admit to having little tolerance for ugly drunks (married to an alcoholic for 23 years). You may be more forgiving of such situations than I am but only you can decide if this can be forgiven and if you want your friendship to continue. Her ignorance and crudeness may have just been the alcohol but as they say, in vino veritas.

• farmgirl888
    farmgirl888 Member Posts: 14
    Options

Thank you...yes indeed, often the ugly truth comes out when someone is intoxicated. You see the true person and their motivation. I truly think I will be ending the friendship. This is why I was hesitant to share my diagnosis with people...but then made the decision I could help people by talking about it, and letting them know to get their mammogram as that's how mine was caught. Exbarnxgirl, are you a former horse girl? This "friend" is an old trainer of mine.

• exbrnxgrl
    exbrnxgrl Member Posts: 4,766
    Options

LOL! Quite the opposite. I’m an urban gal through and through. My username, exbrnxgrl, stands for ex-Bronx girl. I was born and raised in the Bronx, NY. I currently live in downtown San José, CA. Not quite as urban as NYC, but definitely no barns despite a long history of farming here in Silicon Valley.

• cowgirl13
    cowgirl13 Member Posts: 774
    Options

If you decide to cut her out of your life, be sure to let her know it is her drinking. And do not get into a conversation about it. You may be helping her reach her 'bottom' which is about what has to happen to get her to deal with her alcoholism. Don't take it personally -- its alcoholism. Again, don't discuss it with her because you can't argue with a drunk.

• alicebastable
    alicebastable Member Posts: 1,940
    Options

Drunk truth is what comes out when the inhibitions are unmasked - so it's what she was thinking underneath all along. NOT a friend, and it's good that you found out.

• XfitMama2
    XfitMama2 Member Posts: 18
    Options

Drop that “friend” like a hot potato. If cancer has taught us anything, it’s that there’s no time to waste on fools. I’m sorry that happened, farmgirl

• kotchaj
    kotchaj Member Posts: 210
    Options

I'm speechless. Seriously speechless. My thought would be to not respond to her. Ever again. I'm so very sorry. Cancer has definitely changed so many things in our lives and some things like this are just awful. Can you leave her your debt? :-) You know, when you die in 50 years or so??

• chicagoan
    chicagoan Member Posts: 964
    Options

Farmgirl,

Of all the crazy things that get said to breast cancer patients, this one really takes the cake! It actually makes me laugh. I like your response to her and now would cut off all contact. I'd be afraid to be around her and her husband in case they wanted to speed up your demise! Thanks for the afternoon chuckle.

• sunshine99
    sunshine99 Member Posts: 2,595
    Options

This title caught my eye as I was scrolling through the posts. WTF is right! And I agree that she was drunk and I'd not even respond to her. I had a whack-a-doodle church dude call me about five times, telling me had a "healing ministry" and could cure my (Stage IV) cancer. I never did answer when he called, and I ended up blocking his number.

This "friend" sounds NUTS! (But I'm still going to mark this as a "Favorite" so I can keep up with this thread.) And like Chicagoan said, thanks for the chuckle.

Carol