Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Anxiety

Options

would seeing a therapist who specialized in cancer survivors help me get rid of anxiety. Meds don’t work. It’s 6 years. I feel terrible all the time, like I’m dying. I’m not dying now, will someday but want to stop it. i wake up with anxiety bd, then exercise it gets a little better by evening it is much better.
it’s very terrible in the morning. I’m writing this at 7am just before I exercise. I feel sad and terrible. Anyone who felt like this and got better please let me know what you did. Meds have not helped make me tired and depressed. Thank you

Praying for you al

Comments

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 7,903
    Options

Hi lovelau,

We're so sorry you're experiencing this anxiety. We're sure others will be by shortly to weigh in with their experiences also.

In the meantime, we wanted to share this helpful info with you from the main Breastcancer.org site:

We hope this helps a little and that you find some relief soon. Please let us know if there's anything else we can do to help.

Gentle hugs,

--The Mods

• gigil
    gigil Member Posts: 903
    Options

Hi lovelau. I think I wrote the book on anxiety. I am 73 years old and I’ve been battling anxiety since I was 7. When I was hit with a breast cancer diagnosis, the anxiety really hit hard. The things that have helped me most - and my anxiety usually hits in the morning too, are to listen to a meditation playlist before I even get out of bed. I like the ones by Belleruth Naparstak. You can find some on Apple and also YouTube. If you listen to them continuously, they become very soothing. I also very much like qigong, although yoga is wonderful too. I stay away from caffeine and limit sugar. Both are aggravating. Sometimes I go outside and try to focus on all of the nature around me. Other times I sit in a recliner and listen to a cheerful book. The main thing is to keep practicing these things as a ritual in the morning. The Calm app has lots of,good tools for anxiety as well.

In my case my worse fears were realized when I found I had mets 11 years after my initial treatment. I have had to work on a whole new set of anxiety now. It just takes practice to float past the initial flood of anxious feelings. Better times come along. It takes time, breathing and patience. Try to replace negative self talk with positive affirmations. Hope this helps.

• weninwi
    weninwi Member Posts: 747
    Options

lovelau,

It's good that you are reaching out…seeking support and guidance.

I started to see a therapist after my diagnosis of MBC 3 years ago. My family wanted me to start taking an anti-depressant to deal with the anxiety, but I refused. My doctor suggested I see a therapist and although I was reluctant, I agreed, and it turned out to be a good decision. I now see my therapist about every 2-3 months and over the past 3 years he has gotten to "know" me. He's gotten to know my strengths, weaknesses, vulnerabilities, interests, and my values. Often after a session of listening to me talk about what's on my mind and what's been going on in my life, he reflects back an encouraging insight - something I had not considered. It is just very healing to be listened to...in effect to be known. Since covid my visits with the therapist have been via Zoom and my husband is often sitting in the room with me. He doesn't participate, but he of course listens, and I think the outcome has been beneficial both for him and me.

I also practice my faith as best as I know how. This includes reading a daily reflection or meditation, seeking out guidance and direction in my faith walk, and asking for prayers when I'm struggling. The wisdom of the Bible helps so much to calm my fears and reassure.

Like you I find a "daily" walk (exercise) very therapeutic. And a good night's sleep of course helps. You don't mention if poor sleep is a problem for you.

I went through an especially rough patch (became more depressed, moody, crying all the time) when my Vit B 12 level fell below normal. Low Vit B12 can have both physical and psychological effects. I'm a meat eater so didn't suspect it, but it turned out to be the problem, and it was remedied with a sublingual supplement. You might want to ask your Primary Provider to order a Vit B12 test.

You'll be in my thoughts and prayers.

• smc123
    smc123 Member Posts: 30
    Options

Lovelau, I’m six years out too and still think about cancer every day. Over the last 3 years I had so many unresolved aches and pains that I’ve convinced myself the cancer is back and just hasn’t been found yet. I’m sure I sound pathetic but it’s the truth. What gets me through the day and moving forward is finding my “joy”…my family is my absolute joy and I don’t want to waste any day I have with them. My husband knows how anxious I am but my kids do not have a clue. So, regardless of how much time I have left they know how important they are to me and that has become enough.