We are 190,706 members in 81 forums discussing 142,323 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

All TopicsForum: Older Than 60 Years Old With Breast Cancer → Topic: Can we have a forum for "older" people with bc?

Topic: Can we have a forum for "older" people with bc?

Forum: Older Than 60 Years Old With Breast Cancer —

Meet other women who are similar in age and dealing with age-appropriate issues.

Posted on: Feb 7, 2009 11:29PM

Northstar wrote:

I am an "older" woman with breast cancer (I was diagnosed at 65 and am now 66).  I notice that most of the posts seem to be from people younger than I am (often by quite a bit...).   I'd love to "talk" with others my age, exchange info about their diagnoses, effects on their lives, etc.   I see that there is a forum for young women.

Someone suggested that maybe it's that older people aren't so computer-savvy or aren't used to being in online discussion groups.   However, for those who are, it would be great. 

DX 8/15/08, ILC, 5.1 cm, Stage IIb, Grade 1, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-, Oncotype DX 11.

Page 1011 of 1,029 (30,851 results)

Posts 30301 - 30330 (30,851 total)

May 17, 2017 10:34PM carolehalston wrote:

Good picture, Ducky. You look great. I like your hair style and color.

Gray hair makes "elderly" women look older even when it's lovely gray hair. I went gray about three years ago. Actually four years ago because I went out to lunch for my 70th birthday with golf friends. There were eight of us at a long table. I looked around and I was the only one with gray hair and it made me "feel" old. So I went color again. People tell me all the time that I don't look my age and I think the hair color is part of it. Also staying in shape and walking and moving around more like a younger person.

With all that said, I do hate looking in the mirror and seeing all the lines and wrinkles in my face. The 70's have not been kind on the complexion. I feel like I look old.

I have seen some younger women with gray hair and admired their looks.

Nipple-Sparing BMX w/Alloderm & Silicone Implants 7/24/09, Oncotype Dx 9, No Chemo, No Rads, Arimidex Dx 6/25/2009, IDC, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 3, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

May 17, 2017 11:09PM Anneb1149 wrote:

Hi all

I am with you all feeling younger inside than I look outside. My late husband did not like makeup, so I hardly ever wear any. I used a little when I was working, but not since retiring. My hair has always been both thin and fine, and completely straight. Back in the day, I slept with rollers in my hair every night. My white hair comes from my dad's family and started turning in my early thirties. It is a true white, no gray or yellow. I avoid mirrors as much as possible.

I am getting frustrated with my new kitchen. What's done is great, but it's not finished, so we can't move back in. The contractor, who I like, asked if he could not have anyone do anything Fri. We agreed (he really was not asking- he was telling). Sat, he came and put most of the new cabinet doors. No work again n Sun, then Mon,the granite came. Yesterday, the backsplash was put up and then grouted this morning. We are still till missing several cabinet drawers, and we have no hardware at all, and the microwave is still in the middle of the dining room floor, and we haven't had a home cooked meal in 2 weeks. I asked him what time he would be here today, and he responded askng if he could come tomorrow instead. I don't think I would be as frustrated if I wasn't leaving next Thurs for Georgia. I will be traveling with my daughter and her three kids, so my packing is different. I need to find things to keep the kids busy at the airport and on the plane.

Then I stayed up till 2am Mon night. My son drove down from South Carolina and I wanted to see his face when he saw the kitchen and garage. Especially the garage. All I can say is it was worth it. He was so tired, it took a minute for him to react. But I got the "OMG- this is fantastic" reaction I wanted. I told him I didn't want him stressing about cleaning the garage all summer- now he can focus on the shed. He said, "Oh, no- did you just shove everything from the garage into the shed?" I was very happy to be able to tell him no, we only put the generator back in there from when we took it out because of a possible hurricane. But staying up till 2 and getting up again 6 hrs later has really kicked my butt. Yesterday I was pretty much a zombie, and today I am extremely tired. I've always needed 8-9 hrs of sleep a night.

If the kitchen is ever finished, I will post a picture.

Anne

Dx 9/25/2013, IDC, 1cm, Stage IIIA, Grade 2, 3/9 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2+ Targeted Therapy 10/4/2013 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Targeted Therapy 10/4/2013 Perjeta (pertuzumab) Chemotherapy 10/10/2013 Taxotere (docetaxel) Surgery 1/28/2014 Lymph node removal: Right, Underarm/Axillary; Mastectomy: Left, Right Radiation Therapy Breast, Lymph nodes

May 17, 2017 11:42PM Tappermom383 wrote:

Wren - love the idea of all those colorful streaks!

MJ

Diagnosed at 70 after four excisional biopsies over the course of 47 years. MammaPrint came back Low Risk. DexaScan: osteopenia. Dx 3/23/2017, DCIS/IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 3/31/2017 Lumpectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Radiation Therapy 5/22/2017 Whole-breast: Breast Hormonal Therapy 7/17/2017 Arimidex (anastrozole)

May 18, 2017 01:26AM ChiSandy wrote:

Lookin' gorgeous, ducky! I had stick-straight dirty-blonde hair till I was 8, then it gradually went medium-dark brunette and began to get a bit wavy-frizzy though still fine (my Ashkenazi Jewish ethnicity asserting itself) around 16. Discovered my first gray hairs a year later—very wiry. So I started dyeing my hair chestnut/auburn, and did until my early 20s when as an impoverished law student married to an impoverished grad (who became med) student I couldn't afford to go to a salon and was too klutzy to go DIY, so back I went to brunette (having to blow-dry it to keep the frizz at bay). I tried some Sun-In for highlights when I was 31, and of course it was so patchy that Bob said to go get a professional dye job. So for five years I was strawberry blonde; at 35 I decided the red tones weren't flattering anymore so I've been a blonde now for over 30 years.

My gray roots are coming in slightly more pepper than salt, but despite the gray wiry texture I seem to have a few “dye-resistant" pure white baby-fine straight streaks—which saves me a bundle of $ because people think they're highlights. I still wear it below shoulder-length, because that's how Bob likes it and the length & volume balance out my considerable bulk. I get keratin treatments 3x/yr to keep it strong and straight (-ish), and as long as I clip it up for sleep, it doesn't get frizzy in the heat & humidity. I wash it 2-3 times a week, using dry shampoo in between. And like our young whippersnapper Toronto bc sister Jill (LovesToFly), I like to wear makeup—although I wear a lot less foundation and shadow lately, usually just fill in the blank spots in my brows, a very light touch of liner, concealer where it’s needed, a little blush for contour and mascara & lip stain (which doesn’t come off on my coffee cup or wine glass). When I wear foundation at all, it’s a tinted mineral serum with sunscreen. I never leave the house in daylight without sunscreen on my exposed skin.

Diagnosed at 64 on routine annual mammo, no lump. OncotypeDX 16. I cried because I had no shoes...but then again, I won’t get blisters.... Dx 9/9/2015, IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 9/22/2015 Lumpectomy: Right Radiation Therapy 11/1/2015 3DCRT: Breast Hormonal Therapy 12/30/2015 Femara (letrozole)

May 18, 2017 12:19PM duckyb1 wrote:

Thanks for the compliments ladies....but this is an old face no matter how you fix it....LOL.....When people who have not see me say "oh my God you haven't changed at all", I think.........Good Lord did I always look this bad........LOL....that is not a compliment.........haha.

Now the reason for not coloring right now...I was told by the Derm, I have scalp psoriasis.....thus, dye and bleach are not recommended...so I have to be careful.....which means I am showing gray.....really have to think about what I am going to do....I am due for a cut, so might do that one more time, and then make a decision what I will do about color.....my hairdresser does a double process...covering the gray first (which is not a lot), and then highlighting it as the second process...not sure how it would look if I forgo the dye process, and just do the highlights..not sure if the gray will blend in...or I will have 3 different colors of hair...LOL.....some decisions to be made here.........And the beat goes on!!!!!!!

Ducky Dx 2/15/2011, IDC, Right, 1cm, Grade 1, 0/8 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Radiation Therapy 4/25/2011 Whole-breast: Breast

May 18, 2017 01:20PM carolehalston wrote:

Wren, I hope you do the colored streaks! Post a picture.

Anne, I sympathize with your frustration over the slow transformation of your kitchen. Just think how happy you will be with the finished kitchen. A good contractor is going to be busy.

Happy Thursday

Nipple-Sparing BMX w/Alloderm & Silicone Implants 7/24/09, Oncotype Dx 9, No Chemo, No Rads, Arimidex Dx 6/25/2009, IDC, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 3, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

May 18, 2017 05:26PM IllinoisLady wrote:

That best portion of good people's lives,
Their little, nameless, unremembered acts
Of kindness and of love.

William Wordsworth

Each day I am thankful for nights that turned into mornings, friends that turned into family, dreams that turned into reality and likes that turned into love. ~~~Elizabeth Kuebler-Ross Dx 9/27/2007, IDC, 5cm, Stage II, Grade 3, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2-

May 18, 2017 05:32PM IllinoisLady wrote:

Got Dh off on his flight to S. Dakota. He said it was a very bumpy ride as well as a very late flight. Had to ride on the golf carts things to his plane change for second and last half of the flight. So arrived there late, but not having to wait to board the second plane.

I'm enjoying the solitude immensely though the trade-off is no help with morning chores. It is an okay trade. I don't like being alone too long as I'm not much of a loner, but sometimes a little break from a loved one reinvigorates things.

Off and on cloudy though only 20% change of rain. Quite warm so I don't mind not having FULL on sun. We don't have the A/C part of our new furnace in yet and while the house is fine -- I open certain windows, close one door and some blinds and we do okay --- but we are early on so far heat-wise so most anyone could do well. Be glad though to get that A/C project done.

Each day I am thankful for nights that turned into mornings, friends that turned into family, dreams that turned into reality and likes that turned into love. ~~~Elizabeth Kuebler-Ross Dx 9/27/2007, IDC, 5cm, Stage II, Grade 3, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2-

May 19, 2017 03:40PM IllinoisLady wrote:

We can stop waiting for life to become perfect and start working
with what we've got to make it as satisfying as we can.We can accept, bless, give thanks, and get going.Today, we can begin to call forth the riches from our everyday life.Procrastination has robbed us of too many precious opportunities.Call a friend for lunch, begin to read or even write that novel, organize your papers.Try a new recipe for dinner, smile at everyone you meet, sit and dream before a blazing fire, pick up your needlepoint again, act as if you're grateful to be alive, scatter joy.Think of one thing that would give you a genuine moment of pleasure today and do it.

Sarah Ban Breathnach

May 19, 2017 03:50PM IllinoisLady wrote:

Hot and muggy today --- not a great day to be w/o air --- not so much for the temp itself as for the accompanying humidity. There is a 80% chance of rain though and 70% chance tomorrow --- so it will likely be okay. Dh is enjoying ( so far ) his time away. Unfortunately -- one of his brothers had to go to emergency room with a heart attack on the day he left ( late Wednesday.) The brother was taken to a slightly larger hospital with more testing equipment and last night was picked up by air ambulance to be flown to our big teaching hospital over in St. Louis, Mo. Barnes Jewish Hospital. He needs some sort of by-pass ( Dh thought it was different in some way from most by-passes ) and that was to take place this morning.

Hopefully he will come through okay, but you never know. If so, hopefully uppermost on his list will be to stop smoking. Been after the BIL'S for a long time. I don't mind that they smoke --- it is a personal choice, but more after them because their diets are not good and they do not exercise. It is not a good combination. If you smoke I think it is better to watch a bit more carefully what you eat ( cholesterol ) and to exercise to keep as much plaque built-up from happening as you can. The bill's are basically around my age 70's -- so more important I think since we all slow down. Fingers crossed.

May 19, 2017 03:59PM Chevyboy wrote:

Isn't it funny how our lives change? I remember when DH used to go hunting for days at a time! I hated to see him leaving, and then I would be so happy to see him come home, I would just fall in his arms and cry!

And life goes on... We are still so fortunate to have our partners.... even though 50 years later, given a couple hours apart, is really nice now! Like Ducky, and so many women, who have lost their Husbands.... we still have ours, and for better or worse, we live to please them.... or sometimes stay out of their way! Bawling

You GUY'S !!! It snowed all day yesterday, with heavy rain, and today it is just plain COLD out! Like 33 degrees right now. Not much to do outdoors, except cross my fingers that my bedding plants have survived under all the plastic buckets I put on them. I taped them up, after the golf-ball sized hail pounded holes in them.... Glad I saved them for this freezing weather!

Maybe run to the store.... pick up a few things.... Making stuffed peppers for dinner.... Think I'll make like a meat-loaf mixture, and then cut peppers in half...(maybe green & red peppers) and fill them, cover with ketchup, and bake!

Don't walk ahead of me, I might not follow. Don't walk behind me, I may not want to lead. Just walk beside me & be my friend. Dx 11/2009, IDC, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+

May 19, 2017 04:44PM duckyb1 wrote:

Yea, I would have been married 61 years May 5th....I made 35.....then again some don't even make that...so I guess I did ok....

Love stuffed peppers...we would mix ground beef with cooked white rice, and the usual spices, stuff them into peppers, cover them with tomato sauce (canned), and put them in the microwave to cook..they come out delicious.......years ago we would put them on the stove to simmer, bt that required par cooking your peppers first which I hated..........the micro way is so darn easy its amazing......now my mother did them in the oven too........so many ways to do them.....really love them...

Really hot here....93 yeaterday, and 90 today, but the a cold front comes through......a graduation tomorrow morning at 9:30 ..outside....thank heavens it will be cooler....not sure I can handle that crap....but of course I would have if it was 110 degrees.....its my grandaughter.....

All you ladies have a great weekend.....stay warm if its cold in our part of the country, and cool if its hot.....hugs

Ducky Dx 2/15/2011, IDC, Right, 1cm, Grade 1, 0/8 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Radiation Therapy 4/25/2011 Whole-breast: Breast

May 19, 2017 06:57PM ChiSandy wrote:

All you E. Coast ladies, get ready for another “pneumonia front:” our latest came through late last evening (as I was headed to the gym in capris, natch) and I awoke to 45 degrees today. Not gonna get past 50, and rainy—gotta take the CTA “L” downtown & walk to the Opera House to see My Fair Lady. Leather parka weather again. Two days of A/C, followed by having to turn the heat back on and wear a jacket downstairs. This is getting very old…older than anyone here...

Diagnosed at 64 on routine annual mammo, no lump. OncotypeDX 16. I cried because I had no shoes...but then again, I won’t get blisters.... Dx 9/9/2015, IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 9/22/2015 Lumpectomy: Right Radiation Therapy 11/1/2015 3DCRT: Breast Hormonal Therapy 12/30/2015 Femara (letrozole)

May 19, 2017 07:16PM duckyb1 wrote:

90 today, and high tomorrow 70.....rain, and a cool front coming tonight which will knock the hell out of the 90 degree weather....then 70;s for Saturday and Sunday.......

May 19, 2017 08:04PM Chevyboy wrote:

Well, I just put the peppers in the little oven. I cut them in half, them stuffed them with the meat-loaf mixture, & a diced tomato....They take awhile, but the pepper skins get really toasty & tasty.... I'll put white potatoes in to bake with them.... We never eat a "whole" 1/2 one.... but cut them in half, and it's good for about 3 more meals...I have even served them heated, for breakfast, with an egg, & part of that baked potato.

The high here is 41 ! And with that WIND, it feels like 32! Oh well tomorrow is another day.... Sure hurts a lot of graduation planning!

Don't walk ahead of me, I might not follow. Don't walk behind me, I may not want to lead. Just walk beside me & be my friend. Dx 11/2009, IDC, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+

May 19, 2017 08:24PM duckyb1 wrote:

Peppers sound yummy.......will be on the next plane.......can you hold dinner for me......LOL.....like the mea loaf mix idea......beef, pork veal....like any good italian would serve anything with ground meat.......never straight beef.......that is the Cardinal sin in any italian household...LOL

May 19, 2017 09:22PM carolehalston wrote:

Yum, the peppers and potatoes sound good. I use cooked rice in my stuffing along with ground meat. Which reminds me that there are two servings of stuffed peppers in the freezer. And an eggplant casserole. Only three dinners to be eaten here if we depart on Monday morning as planned.

I was definitely walking like an old lady this morning when I got up. I had leg cramps in the wee hours this morning caused by a combination of dehydration and overworked leg muscles during a two-day golf tournament. Wednesday wasn't too hot thanks to a brisk wind but yesterday was hot and sticky and I was soaked with perspiration and tired when I finished. And I drank lots of water on the golf course.

Minnesota here we come. I sure hope climate change doesn't spoil the nice Minnesota summer weather.

Today was busy. A trip to the bank for cash, next Sam's Club for prescriptions and other provisions like mixed nuts, then a pedicure and manicure, on to the hairdresser's to have my hair cut, and finally a stop at the gas pumps to fill up my car. Whew!

We're supposed to have some rain this weekend.

Happy Friday to all.

May 19, 2017 09:43PM ChiSandy wrote:

Sorta sore after a vigorous workout last night, but nothing like when I first started out. I added Co-Q-10 once I began taking Crestor, hopefully to keep muscle aches at bay.

When I couldn’t get us a table at the bistros inside the Civic Opera House (and poor Bob’s head was spinning when he tried to decipher Mapquest’s directions to the closest garage I texted him—he refuses to learn how to work his car’s nav. system), we decided to just grab a snack before leaving the house—Bob will try to make it home so we can at least grab a cab or Uber if there’s no time to take the train down there. We’ll have actual dinner at Russian Tea Time after the show.

May 20, 2017 03:51PM IllinoisLady wrote:

You cannot believe in honor until you have achieved it. Better keep yourself clean and bright; you are the window through which you must see the world. -George Bernard Shaw

May 20, 2017 10:39PM Anneb1149 wrote:

Hi Ladies, Here it is

Before:

AFTER

SENDING THESE BEFORE I DELETE THEM AGAIN

Anne

Dx 9/25/2013, IDC, 1cm, Stage IIIA, Grade 2, 3/9 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2+ Targeted Therapy 10/4/2013 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Targeted Therapy 10/4/2013 Perjeta (pertuzumab) Chemotherapy 10/10/2013 Taxotere (docetaxel) Surgery 1/28/2014 Lymph node removal: Right, Underarm/Axillary; Mastectomy: Left, Right Radiation Therapy Breast, Lymph nodes

May 20, 2017 10:40PM Anneb1149 wrote:

Here is a better picture of after

Anne

May 20, 2017 10:44PM IllinoisLady wrote:

Let me be the first to say a giant WOW. I love the color of those cabinets. It went from sort of a sterile look to warm and cozy and I haven't even mentioned backsplash, counters and floor. I think it is gorgeous and makes me want to come over -- even if I do live in Illinois ( long way away ) and sit and have a cup of coffee and a Krispy Kreme donut or two. Congratulations -- job well done. Floor blends really, really nice.

May 20, 2017 11:00PM letsgogolf wrote:

That is the perfect kitchen! Love it!

Oncotype DX = 3. IDC with Lobular Features. Sentinel Node had Micrometastases - Estrogen 100%, Progesterone 99.89%, Ki67= 3.3% Dx 2/14/2017, IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IB, Grade 1, 0/8 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 2/26/2017 Lumpectomy: Left Radiation Therapy 4/5/2017 Whole-breast: Lymph nodes Hormonal Therapy 5/31/2017 Arimidex (anastrozole)

May 21, 2017 12:53AM - edited May 21, 2017 12:53AM by Anneb1149

Here are some of my favorite "behind the door" favorites

Pot And pan organizer

Tupperware organizer

Hidden garbage bin - we have 2, the other one is for dog f

Still haven't put it all back together yet, and are missing some cabinet doors and a few other minor things, but we are definitely on our way. Jackie - my door is always open- I'll be especially lnelafter Tues, my brother is going home for the summer

Anne

May 21, 2017 01:29AM ChiSandy wrote:

Gorgeous, Anne!

May 21, 2017 03:38AM Jo6202 wrote:

Very nice Anne. Enjoy!

Jo

Someday your life will pass before your eyes. Be sure it's worth watching. Dx 8/8/2013, IDC, Left, 2cm, Stage IA, Grade 3, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx 8/30/2013, DCIS, Left, <1cm, Stage 0, 0/1 nodes Surgery 8/30/2013 Lumpectomy: Left Surgery 8/30/2013 Lymph node removal: Left, Sentinel Surgery 9/11/2013 Lumpectomy: Left Radiation Therapy 10/28/2013 Breast Hormonal Therapy Arimidex (anastrozole), Femara (letrozole)

May 21, 2017 04:44AM Wren44 wrote:

Anne, Beautiful! Love the colors.

Lumpectomy and re-excision followed by mastectomy of right breast. Five years of anastrasole completed.

May 21, 2017 12:16PM Chevyboy wrote:

I love your kitchen too Anne! I'm really into organization also! The last time I did anything with out kitchen was many YEARS ago... That's when I laid pretty commercial vinyl tiles down, and painted my cupboards a butter-cup yellow. NOW I am just happy to be able to get down on the floor to clean out stuff that is far back in those lower cupboards, Hah! And stand on a stool to reach the high top cupboards.

I also have a "grabber" to reach things in the bottom of the washer, and in the back of the dryer... Hah!

Image result for reaching in the washer

May 21, 2017 12:21PM duckyb1 wrote:

Very nice Anne....glad its done...........it sure makes a difference doesn't it.....I have the "self closing drawers"......nice unless you forget to move your finger......but they are a good feature especially for someone who walks away and forgets to close things.....(my daughter's pet peeve with me)...lol

The more cabinets the better....and isn't the pantry closet great....so happy for you

May 21, 2017 05:08PM IllinoisLady wrote:

We can choose to gather to our hearts the thorns of disappointment,
failure, loneliness, and dismay in our present situation.Or we can
gather the flowers of God's grace, boundless love, abiding presence,
and unmatched joy.I choose to gather the flowers.

Barbara Johnson

Page 1011 of 1,029 (30,851 results)