We are 193,452 members in 81 forums discussing 143,470 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

All TopicsForum: Older Than 60 Years Old With Breast Cancer → Topic: Can we have a forum for "older" people with bc?

Topic: Can we have a forum for "older" people with bc?

Forum: Older Than 60 Years Old With Breast Cancer —

Meet other women who are similar in age and dealing with age-appropriate issues.

Posted on: Feb 7, 2009 06:29PM

Northstar wrote:

I am an "older" woman with breast cancer (I was diagnosed at 65 and am now 66).  I notice that most of the posts seem to be from people younger than I am (often by quite a bit...).   I'd love to "talk" with others my age, exchange info about their diagnoses, effects on their lives, etc.   I see that there is a forum for young women.

Someone suggested that maybe it's that older people aren't so computer-savvy or aren't used to being in online discussion groups.   However, for those who are, it would be great. 

DX 8/15/08, ILC, 5.1 cm, Stage IIb, Grade 1, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-, Oncotype DX 11.

Page 1039 of 1,040 (31,193 results)

Posts 31141 - 31170 (31,193 total)

Sep 11, 2017 11:06AM joycek wrote:

Anne, so sorry you have damage. Thank goodness your friends noticed the sliding door off its track...can't imagine what would have happened had that been left open to the elements.

We heard from one of neighbors in West Palm and our house is ok. We never lost power...that's a miracle.

Dx 2/23/2010, IDC, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 1, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 3/10/2010 Lumpectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Right, Sentinel

Sep 11, 2017 02:04PM ChiSandy wrote:

Anne, sorry about the damage but thankful it wasn’t worse.

Diagnosed at 64 on routine annual mammo, no lump. OncotypeDX 16. I cried because I had no shoes...but then again, I won’t get blisters.... Dx 9/9/2015, IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 9/23/2015 Lumpectomy: Right Radiation Therapy 11/2/2015 3DCRT: Breast Hormonal Therapy 12/31/2015 Femara (letrozole)

Sep 11, 2017 03:09PM IllinoisLady wrote:

Anne, count me in as well being happy that you had good neighbors to stand in for you with your patio door. Whew!!!! Hoping that it will turn out not difficult to manage and repair. Prayers for all of your family for their safety and well being continue as well as for you.

Sandy, glad to get your news as well. I think it is going to be a long haul for those in Texas as well as Fla. and I am concerned that there is further hurricane activity going on so thoughts and prayers will be on the tip of my pen for some time to come I think.

Each day I am thankful for nights that turned into mornings, friends that turned into family, dreams that turned into reality and likes that turned into love. ~~~Elizabeth Kuebler-Ross Dx 9/27/2007, IDC, 5cm, Stage II, Grade 3, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2-

Sep 12, 2017 01:16AM Joan811 wrote:

It is a relief that for now the storms are past - although I know that some rains are still spreading across the region.

I am glad to hear that damages among our friends here are manageable.

I worked from 8am to 9:45pm today and am still up...trying to unwind. But I have to get up soon and start again - shorter day on Tuesday.

Have a good tomorrow, everyone.

Joan

Courage is not choosing to be brave; it is standing firm in the face of adversity when choice is limited. Dx 7/20/2011, IDC, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 2, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 8/30/2011 Lumpectomy: Left Radiation Therapy 11/30/2011 Hormonal Therapy Femara (letrozole)

Sep 12, 2017 12:38PM VelvetPoppy wrote:

Being retired doesn't mean not working! I cleaned one bathroom mini-blind (took it outside to scrub, rinse & hang to dry) and the window. Also just finished hanging several freshly washed throw rugs. I guess I will do one window everyday until I finish..except my bedroom, living room & kitchen (2 windows each).

I got a bit of a scare this morning. I was here on the computer, doing some paperwork for an upcoming oncology appointment, when I heard movement in the kitchen. I thought it was odd because I was alone in the house; H was at the dentist and then had to go to the DMV to renew his license. I looked at the clock -10:24-too soon for him to be back. I thought :Okay, you're alone in the house; someone is in the kitchen; so are the knives, the landline and your cellphone; what are you going to do? I couldn't get to the front door without being seen, so I looked around the room I was in...a curtain rod! Well, it was sturdy enough to give a good wallop to the head & then I could get to the backyard & out the gate or the curved part was sharp enough to do some serious damage to a face. I moved quietly to the kitchen ready for whatever (& scared at the same time).

My son is in the kitchen, going through the desk, looking for something.

Why aren't you at work?

I'm on lunch.

At 10:30 in the morning?

Tuesday is crazy, I'm on a desk from 11-1, then on call from 1-3. This is the only available lunch time.

What are you doing here?

I need an envelope & stamp to give to Don (his supervisor) so he can mail my practicum waiver application, after he signs it.

This couldn't wait until tomorrow?

No, it was due last week, but the school extended the deadline because of the storm. I need to get this in by next week.

That's when he spotted the curtain rod.

Were you going to hit me with that?

Yep.

Happy

I imagine I was a topic of conversation when he got back to the library and it will trickle down to former co-workers that I 'attacked' my only child with a curtain rod!

Shocked Should make for a few laughs.

Oncotype Dx: 11 Dx 12/9/2015, DCIS, Right, <1cm, Stage 0, Grade 2, 0/5 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx 1/7/2016, IDC, Right, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 1, 0/5 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 1/27/2016 Lumpectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Sentinel, Underarm/Axillary Radiation Therapy 3/16/2016 Whole-breast: Breast Hormonal Therapy 7/29/2016 Femara (letrozole)

Sep 12, 2017 03:14PM IllinoisLady wrote:

Our lives are to be used and thus to be lived as fully as possible,
and truly it seems that we are never so alive as when
we concern ourselves with other people.
- Harry Chapin

Each day I am thankful for nights that turned into mornings, friends that turned into family, dreams that turned into reality and likes that turned into love. ~~~Elizabeth Kuebler-Ross Dx 9/27/2007, IDC, 5cm, Stage II, Grade 3, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2-

Sep 12, 2017 03:18PM IllinoisLady wrote:

Poppy, that is just too funny. I hear noises too, but since we have household furries around here, I'm usually convinced they are up to something. Worked last night and then went to an in-service lesson, came home to do my morning chores. Had a small bit to eat and then slept for about an hr. and a half. I'll do a bit of baking and make something for supper ( a little early ). Then try for another doze. Back to work tonight at 7 p.m. I will also work on the week-end.

Hope I'm up to all this.

Sep 12, 2017 04:50PM VelvetPoppy wrote:

~IllinoisLady~

I remember shifts like that. They weren't too bad when I was younger, but they got harder to do as I got older. My usual schedule ran something like this: I worked 8a-5p Mon.,Tue.,Thur., & Fri.; 12p-9p Wed.; every 3rd Sat. (8a-5p) & every 6th Sun.(12p-5p). If I worked a weekend day, I would get all-day Friday off for Saturday & Friday afternoon off for Sunday; if I worked the whole weekend I got Thursday afternoon off for Sunday & all day Friday for Saturday. Every six weeks, I would work 10 1/2 days straight. That late night changed with each department I worked in & with each manager/supervisor I had, but the weekend schedule didn't.

Oncotype Dx: 11 Dx 12/9/2015, DCIS, Right, <1cm, Stage 0, Grade 2, 0/5 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx 1/7/2016, IDC, Right, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 1, 0/5 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 1/27/2016 Lumpectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Sentinel, Underarm/Axillary Radiation Therapy 3/16/2016 Whole-breast: Breast Hormonal Therapy 7/29/2016 Femara (letrozole)

Sep 13, 2017 10:47AM Anneb1149 wrote:

Happy Birthday, Jackie

Hope your day goes exactly the way you want it to!

You deserve only the best. You are the glue that keeps all us crazy peopletogether!

Thank you for being you and always, always encouraging and supportive.

You have walked with me through some of my darkest moment during my tx, and you have also helped me thru all the craziness that is in my life.

Anne

Dx 9/25/2013, IDC, 1cm, Stage IIIA, Grade 2, 3/9 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2+ Targeted Therapy 10/3/2013 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Targeted Therapy 10/3/2013 Perjeta (pertuzumab) Chemotherapy 10/9/2013 Taxotere (docetaxel) Surgery 1/27/2014 Lymph node removal: Right, Underarm/Axillary; Mastectomy: Left, Right Radiation Therapy Breast, Lymph nodes

Sep 13, 2017 12:53PM Wren44 wrote:

Happy Birthday, Jackie. Celebrate for a week at least.

Lumpectomy and re-excision followed by mastectomy of right breast. Five years of anastrasole completed.

Sep 13, 2017 12:57PM - edited Sep 13, 2017 12:59PM by IllinoisLady

Thank you --- so far a fantastic birthday. I'm grateful to be alive and continue having the opportunity ( hope the ability can make a match ) to do things that help the world at large and those I love in particular. Work is hectic at the moment with three jobs coming all at once, but nothing is static so it is for now just a busy interlude.

Anne and Wren,your words bring a spring to my heart and a tear to the eye, but then again -- one of the biggest reasons to be alive and on Earth is to help one another along the way. Every day of my life someone has helped me in some way and no other way to show my appreciation than to try in whatever way I can to help back.

Hoping the sun shines for all today. Prayers still for Texas and Fla.

Sep 13, 2017 01:13PM joycek wrote:

Happy Birthday 🎂🎂🎂🎂🎂

Dx 2/23/2010, IDC, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 1, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 3/10/2010 Lumpectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Right, Sentinel

Sep 13, 2017 01:27PM IllinoisLady wrote:

Thank you Joyce -- life is a good thing. Where would I be without it, huh !!! I'm 72 today -- or as of about 10 a.m. this morning and it is about 12:30 p. m. here right now. Dh gets off work a bit earlier today -- about 3:30 -- so a little time to spend with him before I go to work at 7 tonight. He has been putting in some crazy hours too.

Sep 14, 2017 02:37AM ChiSandy wrote:

A little late, but have a happy extended birthday, Jackie!

Diagnosed at 64 on routine annual mammo, no lump. OncotypeDX 16. I cried because I had no shoes...but then again, I won’t get blisters.... Dx 9/9/2015, IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 9/23/2015 Lumpectomy: Right Radiation Therapy 11/2/2015 3DCRT: Breast Hormonal Therapy 12/31/2015 Femara (letrozole)

Sep 14, 2017 07:50AM Chevyboy wrote:

Morning gals.... HAPPY BIRTHDAY JACKIE!  You are only 72???  That's how old I was when I was told I had breast-cancer...!Now, 8 years later, here I am.... Hah!  

Just been so wrapped up in watching the hurricane coverage, and hoping that our Daughter & my youngest Grandson would make it to San Diego from Orlando for his NEW JOB!!!  And after cancelling 3 flights, they made it yesterday!!!!!  YAY!!!  Janie, met them out there to help my guy get settled in his shared house with a retired fire-fighter...  and (well, I sort of mentioned that if HE didn't want to live with him, I would......)  JUST KIDDING!!!!!!!!  

They are not right in San Diego, but nearer his "job"...  in the Medical implements business...in Carlsbad Ca.....  STILL, anywhere near a beach sounds good to me...  Isn't it funny how remembering how close we have always been since he was born, that you always know that in your heart, no matter how old they get, those memories take you back to the sweetest times??   

So a new life is beginning for him....  and I'm trying to be happy like he is........   But I just remember how we cried when they left Denver, and moved back to Orlando when he was in 8th grade....  He's 28 now...  

But I guess it's not possible to expect families to live together or close... forever...  right???  

Well....  you take it easy working.... okay Jackie?  Everyone take good care....

Don't walk ahead of me, I might not follow. Don't walk behind me, I may not want to lead. Just walk beside me & be my friend. Dx 11/2009, IDC, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+

Sep 14, 2017 01:31PM IllinoisLady wrote:

Encouragement is being a good listener, being positive, letting others
know you accept them for who they are. It is offering hope,
caring about the feelings of another, understanding.

Gigi Graham Tchividjian

Sep 14, 2017 01:54PM IllinoisLady wrote:

Thanks again to all for the birthday wishes. It has been a happy one. Of course, I worked thru it, but then for many years I've worked thru all holidays, birthdays, anniversaries -- so it is fine with me. In fact, I feel like I got a really nice gift. I will work thru tomorrow night ( night shift ) and then the lady I went to work for can't find anyone for day time. Her mom ( since she is over her fall and minor confusions ) can stay alone at night --- but there are some day time issues and this lady has talked to about 30 people trying to find a day time person.

It, I think would be perfection for me. Not too long in the day and timing placed well enough for me to get other things done around being needed for a couple meal times, some very light house work, and playing with a cat. Since I never take vacations etc. due to animal care --- it suits me fine. So, we will discuss it tonight to see if we can make it work. I had lots of issues coming into this -- no steady work as yet, and some small jobs set up that I can still attend too, so I see it as the universe setting in motion opportunities when I most needed it. Hooray.

As far as our loved ones -- the older I get the more important family is because they are the people who will be your continuance. They will carry on a part of you after you have finished your time here and moved on to a place in eternity. That makes them special, very loved, and deeply appreciated as the future caretakers of the life we gave to their parents. For this, I live to a degree in the past with the memories of my parents and the creation they made to carry them forward and so it goes with all of us. Love is such a lasting attribute and if you love your family deeply -- even if there is distance between you, that love will go forward. Family makes you strong, proud, and humble all at the same time. Family is a special treasure, and a blessing like no other.

Sep 14, 2017 03:30PM Wren44 wrote:

Chevy, Think how much closer San Diego is than Orlando. Driving distance for a vacation.

Lumpectomy and re-excision followed by mastectomy of right breast. Five years of anastrasole completed.

Sep 15, 2017 10:54AM carolehalston wrote:

Belated Happy Birthday, Jackie!

Happily, all my bc.org friends in TX and FL are safe.

I have very little on my schedule today. Chat with my mother on the phone. Call the Park Rapids post office and arrange to have temporary mail forwarding stopped and mail delivery to our home resumed. ??? Oh, make up the bed. Eat breakfast. I have developed a little skill with my knitting needles and am enjoying small projects.

The leaves are turning red and gold very rapidly. My neighbor Mary is lamenting the change of seasons heralding winter. She lives in Fargo, ND, and dreads the long winter. In contrast, many of our MN and ND friends who have winter activities like snowmobiling and ice fishing enjoy the winter.

Soon dh will park the cargo trailer outside our rv and I will start packing up for our departure on Oct. 1, a Sunday. Our last-minute jobs are winterizing the rv by draining the pipes and filling them with antifreeze. The icemaker in the refrigerator has to be drained, too, but no antifreeze.

Tonight we are going out to dinner at LaPasta restaurant in the village of Dorset, which has four restaurants. This is the last weekend that LaPasta will be open. The summer season has come to an end and soon only the year-round residents will remain in this area. I think some of them are glad to return to their quieter life with much less traffic.

Hugs to all.

Nipple-Sparing BMX w/Alloderm & Silicone Implants 7/24/09, Oncotype Dx 9, No Chemo, No Rads, Arimidex Dx 6/25/2009, IDC, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 3, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Sep 15, 2017 07:23PM IllinoisLady wrote:

We ought not to progress in life by a series of violent jerks, but should learn to navigate our lives upon the flowing stream of change. By being amenable and adaptable we should cease to resent either life or conditions, and seek to "change" them by changing ourselves. -Ronald Beesley

Sep 15, 2017 07:56PM - edited Sep 15, 2017 09:33PM by marijen

Oops! Wrong place

Sep 16, 2017 08:30AM duckyb1 wrote:

Hi everyone.....just checking in........still above ground and taking nourishment.........lol

I have been told how lucky I am that out of 6 children, 18 grandchildren, and 8 great=grandchildren only 2 (grandchildren) are not within 20 minutes of my hone...........so I guess I am very lucky........one is Chicago, the other Dalls.......so God is good..........have to show you my 2 new GG kids....one is 3 weeks, the other 3 months.......I am so blessed......

Ducky Dx 2/15/2011, IDC, Right, 1cm, Grade 1, 0/8 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Radiation Therapy 4/25/2011 Whole-breast: Breast

Sep 16, 2017 10:09AM IllinoisLady wrote:

"What does love look like? It has the hands to help others. It has the feet to hasten to the poor and needy. It has eyes to see misery and want. It has the ears to hear the sighs and sorrows of men. That is what love looks like."
Saint Augustine

Sep 16, 2017 10:24AM IllinoisLady wrote:

Ducky -- just gorgeous. You are fortunate so many of your loved ones are so close. Trying to keep up with them all would keep my head spinning, but in a delightful way. Good for you.

We are back in a mini-heat wave. That is okay -- this time of year no weather can have much of a lasting quality if it is of the harsher variety. Wondering Carole is your summer went as fast as mine seem to have. Some of the trees have started shedding some leaves -- not too many right now, but it foretells quite easily what is to come. Seemed I barely got a good start and still have so many 'warm' weather things I need and want to do. Oh well, there is still enough to accomplish a lot.

Good to hear that you, your family and all you know are okay after those horrid hurricanes. Difficult to think of all the WORK that will need to be done by individuals and Uncle Sam to try and get through the destruction. Not meant as 'political' discussion by the way but just a statement of how enormous the task will be and that it will HAVE to be shared and carried by so many.

Dh had yesterday and today off. More work for me in a way, but nice too. I tend not to be nearly as productive, but I was able to sleep in my own bed last night. Been doing some night work and now don't need to do it, so just fantastic. Is it a sign of getting older ??? no other place feels so right and so welcoming as my own bed. I always think of myself as flexible, but it does seem that in the where I sleep regard, apparently I'm not. Oh well --- its a learning experience so is all right.

Hope you are all going to have a great Saturday.

Sep 16, 2017 01:31PM Wren44 wrote:

It's supposed to be 76 here today, but that's the last for a while. The next week is supposed to be in the 60's and raining for the first few days. We really need the rain; the trees are stressed from the drought. I'm hoping DS gets rain too to help with the forest fires. This coming week we're flying to OK for my 60th high school reunion. Supposed to be 92 the day we arrive. I suspect we'll wilt if we have to be out in it very much. We've been up here so long I'm missing the rain.

Ducky, You have a nice supply of gorgeous grandchildren. Isn't it amazing how much they change at first?

Sep 16, 2017 02:04PM - edited Sep 16, 2017 02:04PM by bonnets

Ducky, 2 cutie pies! You are very lucky to have kids so close. I see so little of mine. Lovely day her. Sat in the sun for a little while.

Bonnets Dx 8/30/2012, IDC, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 9/14/2012 Lumpectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Right, Sentinel Radiation Therapy 10/22/2012 Breast

Sep 16, 2017 03:31PM duckyb1 wrote:

I am lucky...I am going to the shore tomorrow morning with my daughter who just bought the new home down there.....her house up here is for sale she doesn't want to keep 2 homes..........even with that she wi ll only be 1 hour away, and I have my own bedroom and bathroom in that house..........we will leave tomorrow morning around 8, and come back late monday night.......she has to be in the office on Tuesday......will work from the shore on Monday.........its always good to get a change of scenery......

2 of my 3 daughters work for GlaxoSmithKline.....I worked there too for 20 yearsbut retired in 2000 to take care of my youngest daughters son, and 2 years later a daughter.....did that for 16 years until my grandson said "Mom I don't think we will need Nannie to come over to watch us anymore......I am 16, and I can get Makayla (14) off the school bus everyday)........that whole lot of sweetness is now 19 and a Sophomore in college.......I loved every minute of it when I did it......

Now even at 82 I help my grandaughters take care of the new littlel girl......not by myself, but I do it while my daughter takes care of the litttle girl one day a week....along with her brother....I'm the entertainer, and the feeder......LOL...........that daughter works too but with a company my son owns....., on Tuesday she takes care of the 2 kids, and I give her a hand, cause she works from my grandaughter's house on Tuesday, and in the office the rest of the week.......

I do believe taking care of my grandkids, and now my great-grandkids has kept me sane.........

Ducky Dx 2/15/2011, IDC, Right, 1cm, Grade 1, 0/8 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Radiation Therapy 4/25/2011 Whole-breast: Breast

Sep 16, 2017 07:58PM VelvetPoppy wrote:

Quiet day today. Went to a book club meeting and enjoyed some interesting conversation. Then I had lunch with a former co-worker & caught up on the latest gossip. Tomorrow, it's back to the windows & blinds.

Sep 16, 2017 09:55PM freshstarter wrote:

Hi! I just joined this community, I am 66 and have had a double mastectomy 6 months ago. This week I had the tissue expanders removed and implants put in with some liposuction from my tummy. The pain is really bad... but I know I will get passed it. Just looking for some others to compare notes...

Sep 17, 2017 01:15AM Joan811 wrote:

Jackie, I do believe I missed a timely opportunity to wish you Happy Birthday! I hope it was a special day, as you are very special to so many.

I am still recovering from a long oral surgery but tonight DH got take out seafood from my favorite local restaurant. I had no problem eating the meal, and there is more left for tomorrow. I will be having work done for the next 5 months. My speech is still affected slightly; but I did teach three classes and the students are very nice.

I hope that everyone here has recovered from brushes with hurricanes. This week Jose will be close by; but today the weather channel says it will move east (away from the coast). I hear we will get the rain and some breezes. I have Yankee tickets for Tuesday PM which is when the storm may bring that rain. I hope not!

Happy week end, everyone...for those of us who are working, it seems way too short.

Courage is not choosing to be brave; it is standing firm in the face of adversity when choice is limited. Dx 7/20/2011, IDC, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 2, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 8/30/2011 Lumpectomy: Left Radiation Therapy 11/30/2011 Hormonal Therapy Femara (letrozole)

Page 1039 of 1,040 (31,193 results)