We are 204,758 members in 81 forums discussing 148,354 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

All TopicsForum: Older Than 60 Years Old With Breast Cancer → Topic: Can we have a forum for "older" people with bc?

Topic: Can we have a forum for "older" people with bc?

Forum: Older Than 60 Years Old With Breast Cancer —

Meet other women who are similar in age and dealing with age-appropriate issues.

Posted on: Feb 7, 2009 06:29PM

Northstar wrote:

I am an "older" woman with breast cancer (I was diagnosed at 65 and am now 66).  I notice that most of the posts seem to be from people younger than I am (often by quite a bit...).   I'd love to "talk" with others my age, exchange info about their diagnoses, effects on their lives, etc.   I see that there is a forum for young women.

Someone suggested that maybe it's that older people aren't so computer-savvy or aren't used to being in online discussion groups.   However, for those who are, it would be great. 

DX 8/15/08, ILC, 5.1 cm, Stage IIb, Grade 1, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-, Oncotype DX 11.

Page 1058 of 1,076 (32,278 results)

Posts 31711 - 31740 (32,278 total)

Jan 6, 2018 10:16AM IllinoisLady wrote:

The great gift of human beings is that we have the power of empathy.

- Meryl Streep -

Each day I am thankful for nights that turned into mornings, friends that turned into family, dreams that turned into reality and likes that turned into love. ~~~Elizabeth Kuebler-Ross Dx 9/27/2007, IDC, 5cm, Stage II, Grade 3, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2-

Jan 6, 2018 10:33AM IllinoisLady wrote:

Beautiful sun out this a.m. It is zero outside so we need that sun. Makes me feel like if I don't put a lot of mental attention on it that I'm a bit warmer. It will go higher during the day, but not all that much I don't think.

Carole, so good to hear of your mom's progress. It is VERY true that some medications for older folk can have quite an effect on memory, ability and even temperament. Glad her hospice nurse was able to get her on either better meds, or in some cases less. I do recall my last patient getting meaner than a snake for awhile and it was due to one of her meds. It is a difficult balancing act for the older citizens as older bodies process meds differently and when you are 'old' enough sometimes I think it might be harder to tell if reactions are normal aging processes or actual 'reactions'.

Good for you too on the WW. The Nutrition Class I've taken ( and just re-done for any new info that may have come out ) is one where the instructor is more into much more healthful eating rather than focusing on wt. loss. For most, I think the theory is that people have a set weight for their body and it will adjust pretty much given mainly the right foods. As well, of course, it depends somewhat on age. The older you are, the harder it can be to actually lose weight -- and even our coach Linda lost 10 more lbs. than is her 'normal'. She let that wt. come back because she said she just never felt comfortable or at her best.

That may be good news for a lot of people -- was for me. I also have known many overwt. people who were very healthy because they were very active despite the wt. That does not mean I wish to be too overwt. which I am right now after holidays, etc. but just to say that maybe trying hard to reach a certain point on the scale may set you up for frustrations you don't need to have.

Hope you all have a really good day and that despite any temps. you have some sun if they are cold ones.

Each day I am thankful for nights that turned into mornings, friends that turned into family, dreams that turned into reality and likes that turned into love. ~~~Elizabeth Kuebler-Ross Dx 9/27/2007, IDC, 5cm, Stage II, Grade 3, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2-

Jan 6, 2018 11:43AM Chevyboy wrote:

That's so good Carole!  My SIL's Mom, was kicked out of Hospice after almost a year!  She just kept getting better!!!  But they put her in a nursing home, for some reason, and didn't get as good of care....

It's just hard to know, really, how to help them sometimes....  And it's better for them, if we don't try and take care of them ourselves, .....  It all depends on what is going wrong with them....  

And yes Jackie.... some medications can really do a number on us!  Between the antibiotics and pain pills my Husband was taking for that bad infection, his temperament changed so much!   He will still get those "sinking" feelings once in awhile....  We are going back for a check-up and blood-work from our PC Thursday morning...  I just hope he gets a clean bill of health, and nothing else was affected by that infection!

Don't walk ahead of me, I might not follow. Don't walk behind me, I may not want to lead. Just walk beside me & be my friend. Dx 11/2009, IDC, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+

Jan 6, 2018 01:26PM IllinoisLady wrote:

Just so ya'll know.......

Image may contain: text

Jan 7, 2018 10:26AM IllinoisLady wrote:

Life rushes us along and few people are strong enough to stop on their own. Most often, something unforeseen stops us and it is only then we have the time to take a seat at life's kitchen table. To know our own story and tell it. To listen to other people's stories. To remember that the real world is made up of just such stories. Until we stop ourselves or, more often, have been stopped, we hope to put certain of life's events "behind us" and get on with our living. After we stop we see that certain of life's issues will be with us for as long as we live. We will pass through them again and again, each time with a new story, each time with a greater understanding, until they become indistinguishable from our blessings and our wisdom. It's the way life teaches us how to live.

Rachel Naomi Remen

Jan 7, 2018 10:33AM IllinoisLady wrote:

Cloudy today but a bit warmer ( 23 degrees ) than the mornings have been starting out. I have lots to do inside, but will go later to feed the feral cats. Got huge amts. of things done the other day ( and well into the night ) so we really are fairly good here -- but it is never the end. There are always those refinements to put into the mix -- like changing shelf paper etc. We have no snow on the ground and not sure we will get any. The cold snap ( could it break soon, that would be nice ) is plenty to handle for now.

Hope you are all staying safe, warm, and not too busy. If cold where you are, I hope you have sun to make it seem warmer.

Jan 7, 2018 11:00AM - edited Jan 7, 2018 11:01AM by bonnets

It was -3 when I got up, made it up to 11 now! Supposed to be 50 by Friday! Crazy, after 2 weeks of freezing. Think I'll put away the last of the Christmas decorations, hate to take the tree down. One of the good things about a fake tree!

Bonnets Dx 8/30/2012, IDC, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 9/14/2012 Lumpectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Right, Sentinel Radiation Therapy 10/22/2012 Breast

Jan 7, 2018 08:10PM ChiSandy wrote:

31F now, but a wintry mix is predicted (causing severe icing) before changing to all-snow. Stayed inside today trying to get acquainted with my new Cuisinart (Custom 14) and its accessories, including wondering where to put it. ("Where the sun don't shine" is not an acceptable answer). It differs from my old Pro 11 (DLC-8) not just in appearance (the old one looks brand-spanking new after I cleaned it up) but capacity and incompatibility of blades & discs. The shaft of the old one's detachable disc stem did is too narrow to fit on the spindle of the new one, and the new stem's "male" attachment flanges are too big to fit into the smaller discs' "female" receptacles. (I'm using audio cable terms here--plugs are male, sockets or jacks female). Bummer is that for the old machine, I collected an array of specialty discs, including a julienne disc they don't make for the new machine, and finer (1 & 2mm) and coarser (6mm) slicing & shredding discs. The new one comes without a plastic dough blade, which has been found redundant, and with only two discs: 4mm slicing & medium shredding. For the new one I bought the 3-disc "specialty" set: 8mm slicing, fine grating and French-fry discs and a case to hold them.

What was wrong with the old one? Mostly, the lid design. Its original lid had a wide feed tube and separate wide pusher, but they broke long ago. The newer lid and feed tube assembly had a smaller pusher inside the wide pusher, which doesn't detach from the lid. It got to be a royal pain to insert vegetables for slicing by loading from the bottom of the lid, only to have some of them slip out of alignment when I'd put the lid back on--there was no way to rearrange them. The 11-cup bowl had its limitations when it came to liquid volume capacity (max. on food processors is less than stated bowl size). And America's Test Kitchen top-rated the new one, which has a new redesigned non-riveted steel blade to replace recalled prior riveted ones, which were known to crack off--both pieces of blade and plastic hub. (My old one has that recalled riveted blade, but it's perfectly intact).

So I'm going to practice with some veggies, making a batch of mirepoix (carrots, onions, celery) to freeze.There's supposed to be a way to julienne using only the 4mm slicing disc to slice twice, but the instructions on how to do so had no pictures and the description is difficult to envision. So I'm about to see if there are any YouTube videos on how to do that.

Diagnosed at 64 on routine annual mammo, no lump. OncotypeDX 16. I cried because I had no shoes...but then again, I won’t get blisters.... Dx 9/9/2015, IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 9/23/2015 Lumpectomy: Right Radiation Therapy 11/2/2015 3DCRT: Breast Hormonal Therapy 12/31/2015 Femara (letrozole)

Jan 7, 2018 09:04PM IllinoisLady wrote:

Wow...sounds like too much work for me actually. There are only two of us here and so I can easily slice what few veggies we need. If I have a recipe ( and I do have a couple or three of them ) I get out my Chop Wizard and make quick work of them. It also does apples easily which I often use in some recipes. I use my old, old Hamilton Beach food processor for chopping up big pieces of Jennie-O turkey ham to make ham salad and the Chop Wizard does a great job on the onions and sweet pickles for that. I also take a egg slicer and slice both ways for the diced eggs I put in. I actually have two Chop Wizards since I make a lot of salads and I don't have to wash as much in between chopping. The Wizard is pretty easy to clean and since I keep two of them --- sometimes if it is going to be a couple of days before I turn on the dishwasher -- no problem since I have the second Wizard to use. We don't have guests here much though I do on occasion make up food to take elsewhere.

Not sure what I did ( maybe without ) until I caught onto using the Chop Wizards for most of what I chop up ( lots of potatoes at times ) and it saves a lot of time for me as standing for a long period of time in one spot sometimes is irritating nowadays. I use to keep Mandolin slicers ( tricky now and then ) but gave them up for the Wizards.

It has been raining here tonight -- but it doesn't sound like it will get cold enough to freeze overnight and is supposed to warm up again tomorrow ( got up to 39 today ) some so we should be okay. Finally got the last indoor/outdoor cat inside so we are good for the night.

Jan 8, 2018 10:27AM IllinoisLady wrote:

There is an Indian proverb or axiom that says that everyone is a house with four rooms, a physical, a mental, an emotional, and a spiritual. Most of us tend to live in one room most of the time, but unless we go into every room every day, even if only to keep it aired, we are not a complete person. -Rumer Godden

Jan 8, 2018 01:42PM Wren44 wrote:

Weak sun here today. Very welcome after 24/7 rain the past few days. I'm wearing real clothing for the first time since Dec. 28 and I feel better than I have since then. Flu really made me sick. I spent many days lying on the sofa with a cat snoozing in my lap. Our 58th wedding anniversary was New Year's Eve and we didn't even kiss. Quite a change from most. Now to tackle some of the things undone in the past 2 weeks.

Lumpectomy and re-excision followed by mastectomy of right breast. Five years of anastrasole completed.

Jan 8, 2018 02:56PM IllinoisLady wrote:

Sorry to hear you have had all those flu issues. Glad you seem to be mending really well. Hope your Dh has made progress too. Sorta nice to have feline company when you are not yourself. They are such extraordinary nurses to have when a lot of what is going on is just inactivity. Hope you can have a sort of delayed anniversary -- though not quite the same. Hope for continued improvement for you both and hugs to you and your nurse. Job well done....

Jan 9, 2018 10:31AM IllinoisLady wrote:

Compassion is the basis of all truthful relationship: it means being present with love—for ourselves and for all life, including animals, fish, birds, and trees. Compassion is bringing our deepest truth into our actions, no matter how much the world seems to resist, because that is ultimately what we have to give this world and one another. -Ram Dass

Jan 9, 2018 10:37AM IllinoisLady wrote:

A little gray her this a.m., but some of the warmth the snuck in the past couple of days and brought rain has kept up without much sun --- and that gets to me, but I am happy that it is warmer. Just a reminder that we seldom have it all. It's so early for me to thinking about Spring but I am. Squirrels are out playing on the ground but also looking for their buried treasures. The cat inside is watching and likely salivating just a bit -- thinking of what he would do if he were outside right now.

I actually have a dog that chases squirrels and catches them now and then. Always thought it funny as she is a bit overwt., but that doesn't hamper her much when it comes to squirrels. I hate seeing it, or the results of it later, but no way much to get her not too.

I hope you are all going to have a fine day.

Jan 9, 2018 10:59AM duckyb1 wrote:

Heat wave coming 58 this weekend.........

Ducky Dx 2/15/2011, IDC, Right, 1cm, Grade 1, 0/8 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Radiation Therapy 4/24/2011 Whole-breast: Breast

Jan 9, 2018 04:49PM ChiSandy wrote:

Same here tomorrow or Fri. before the snow & deep freeze returns. Might pick any of the weather-frozen-and-thawed garden herbs and re-freeze them under controlled conditions.

Diagnosed at 64 on routine annual mammo, no lump. OncotypeDX 16. I cried because I had no shoes...but then again, I won’t get blisters.... Dx 9/9/2015, IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 9/23/2015 Lumpectomy: Right Radiation Therapy 11/2/2015 3DCRT: Breast Hormonal Therapy 12/31/2015 Femara (letrozole)

Jan 10, 2018 10:19AM IllinoisLady wrote:

A rather big concept here, but dovetails pretty much with my thinking --- so I'm sharing.

You are not your mind. You, a Spiritual Being,
are neither your mind nor your body.
Mind and body are your tools - to use as you choose.
Sometimes your body appears to have a will of its own,
as when it twitches or pains.
Likewise, your mind often appears to have its own will.
That incessant chattering of regret, disappointment, guilt,
shame, foreboding, worry, and fear
is your Rattlesnake Mind striking off on its own.
Know that your mind can be a vicious rattlesnake, and be cautious.
The mind can be tamed, but only with conscious effort and patience.
- Jonathan Lockwood Huie

Jan 11, 2018 11:01AM IllinoisLady wrote:

You must not lose faith in humanity.
Humanity is an ocean; if a few drops of the ocean are dirty,
the ocean does not become dirty.
- Mohandas (Mahatma) Gandhi

Jan 11, 2018 01:30PM - edited Jan 11, 2018 04:39PM by IllinoisLady

It is raining today while the temperature gauge moves up to at least 60 degrees. Sigh !!!! Though it doesn't always come -- that is something we might expect ( temp wise ) in late February. Tomorrow, it could snow as it will return to 'cold'. I don't know ( save for the global warming ) what gives here. Guess just more of the strange stuff that seems to have found its way into life and what we can expect.

Otherwise life goes on. I'm grateful to be here and to meet often with friends here and to share together. Hope you are all having an okay day. Sun would be nice. I actually think we might see some tomorrow. That will put a nice face on things for me.

Jan 11, 2018 02:52PM Wren44 wrote:

Pouring rain here and Fred Meyer was out of cough syrup you could take during the day. I'm resting up from my 1.5 hour jaunt out of the house.

Lumpectomy and re-excision followed by mastectomy of right breast. Five years of anastrasole completed.

Jan 11, 2018 04:56PM IllinoisLady wrote:

Still warm out here in Illinois. I think the 'change' won't come for several hours. Too gray ( though some mild sun for a too brief for me time ) still. I think we will get more sun tomorrow and I can't wait.

Jan 11, 2018 08:55PM ChiSandy wrote:

Hit 58 at noon and began to drop--now 36. Calling for "wintry mix" tonight, including perhaps freezing rain, before "lake effect" snow tomorrow. Then back into the deep-freeze Sat. night. Oh, well, it was nice to turn the heat off and the ceiling fan on last night for the first time since late Oct. At least we won't have to run the taps again till Sat. night.

Jan 12, 2018 10:59AM IllinoisLady wrote:

The great affair, the love affair with life, is to live as variously as possible, to groom one's curiosity like a high-spirited thoroughbred, climb aboard, and gallop over the thick, sunstruck hills every day.It began as mystery, and it will end in mystery, but what a savage and beautiful country lies in between. -Diane Ackerman

Jan 12, 2018 11:02AM IllinoisLady wrote:

A layer of snow on the ground this a.m. -- after the 60 degrees of yesterday. Sigh !!! Could be a bit of ice under here and there. Won't know till we go somewhere which will be soon as I need to feed the feral cats. Dh has the day off and has said he would take me out to breakfast. Well -- sounds like a winner to me. Some times I like to 'keep' my kitchen clean.

Hope you all are going to have an all right day. Not too drastic -- though I know Chi town will have the kind of weather ( likely a slight bit worse ) we do here.

Jan 12, 2018 05:10PM 19501952 wrote:

Hi everybody,

Well my wbc was 1.7 and my ANC was low so I didn’t get chemo on 1/8. I did get a shot of neaulasta. I felt ok that night and then felt weak and tired then I think I got a cold or something and I just keep feeling worse and worse. I’m takin Tylenol for a slight rise in my temperature and I’m hoping if I did get a bug the Tylenol and my recovering wbc can get rid of it. If any of you had neaulasta by injection did you feel weak, tingly hands, headachy and just awful? Kat

Dx 9/8/2017, IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 3, 0/0 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 11/6/2017 Lumpectomy: Right Chemotherapy 12/5/2017 CMF

Jan 12, 2018 10:14PM IllinoisLady wrote:

I'm a long time past my txs, and I also had Neupogin ( older drug then Neaulasta ) but I never had any issues with the Neupogin like you describe. Hope others might chime in. I did have to take fast acting Tylenol a few minutes before I gave myself the injection -- otherwise I would often have headaches through the 7 days I was giving myself the shots. Chemo nurse had forgotten to tell me about the headaches.

Also, though it was long ago -- I think some of the other gals who were using Neaulasta were taking Claritin the day before and day of their Neaulasta which helped with how they felt after getting the shot. You might check with others about this as my chemo was in 2008 so it has been quite some time, and I don't know that I'm recalling it properly.

Jan 12, 2018 10:39PM 19501952 wrote:

thanks Illinois Lady,

How I feel has got to be more than just the chemo and neaulasta. I think I’ve got a cold which is hard to fight off. I am so tired I have been falling asleep every time I close my eyes. The Tylenol does seem to be helping to keep my temperature in the normal range. I am so sick of drinking. I ate a popsicle earlier for a little change. I’ll check in tomorrow and give an update. Kate

Dx 9/8/2017, IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 3, 0/0 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 11/6/2017 Lumpectomy: Right Chemotherapy 12/5/2017 CMF

Jan 12, 2018 11:48PM ChiSandy wrote:

Remember that fever is a symptom--your body temperature goes up because your immune system is fighting an infection--or in the case of a drug that affects bone marrow, trying to defend itself against a substance such as chemo drugs (which attack fast-dividing cells, not just tumors but hair follicles and bone marrow) and red-and-white-cell boosters like Neulasta & erythropoetin (which "prod" the bone marrow into making new cells to replace the ones killed off). Unless the fever itself is making you feel sick, there is no need to reduce it.

Jan 13, 2018 10:29AM IllinoisLady wrote:

You have not lived a perfect
day, even though you have
earned your money, unless
you have done something
for someone who will never
be able to repay you.

Ruth Smeltzer

Jan 13, 2018 07:06PM IllinoisLady wrote:

Today ( despite frigid temps ) was a really nice day. Took a friend to do some shopping and we stopped at the Chinese restaurant. I always get sweet and sour pork. I'm still sort of bad ( but for me its good ) about finding something I like and just not branching out. I know there are other dishes I would like, but my love for pork just keeps me going back for what I know will be so satisfying to me.

Dh had the day off so he went as well. It is always fun, though I've always told my friend to call me anytime and I don't require a lunch treat to do this for her. She doesn't drive ( I think she never has ) and right now I'm more free than ever since I'm between jobs. I am thinking of some work, just have to think about it for a bit more. It would likely be ( if they chose to use me ) at the new Best Western Plus that opened here around Christmas time. They have a variety of unfilled jobs. I was surprised to hear it -- so we will see how it goes. They want a breakfast person, maid, clerk, and maybe someone else -- wasn't able to see the scrolling any longer. Anyway, not looking for anything full time at my age, so this may be doable for me.

The cold will continue for this week, but hoping the frigid temps. ease up soon. It didn't snow today and I think a lot of the roadways got enough sun to melt the icy patches. Could re-freeze overnight, but maybe ( hoping ) most of it ran off after melting and will be gone. My car does pretty good so all is fine. Need a warmer day so I can go to the car wash and have the salt spray washed off. I don't have a very pretty car right now.

Page 1058 of 1,076 (32,278 results)