We are 204,677 members in 81 forums discussing 148,321 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

All TopicsForum: Older Than 60 Years Old With Breast Cancer → Topic: Can we have a forum for "older" people with bc?

Topic: Can we have a forum for "older" people with bc?

Forum: Older Than 60 Years Old With Breast Cancer —

Meet other women who are similar in age and dealing with age-appropriate issues.

Posted on: Feb 7, 2009 06:29PM

Northstar wrote:

I am an "older" woman with breast cancer (I was diagnosed at 65 and am now 66).  I notice that most of the posts seem to be from people younger than I am (often by quite a bit...).   I'd love to "talk" with others my age, exchange info about their diagnoses, effects on their lives, etc.   I see that there is a forum for young women.

Someone suggested that maybe it's that older people aren't so computer-savvy or aren't used to being in online discussion groups.   However, for those who are, it would be great. 

DX 8/15/08, ILC, 5.1 cm, Stage IIb, Grade 1, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-, Oncotype DX 11.

Page 1059 of 1,076 (32,269 results)

Posts 31741 - 31770 (32,269 total)

Jan 13, 2018 09:39PM ChiSandy wrote:

Jackie, is that the Chinese buffet near the cluster of motels off I-57? I love their fried noodles--just like the ones I used to get at Cantonese restaurants during my Brooklyn childhood.

Felt much better today than yesterday, when I seemed to be having some sinus issues. Went to pick up Rx'es for all three of us. I had run out of bupropion (generic Wellbutrin) and drove myself nuts going through the cabinets looking for the refill I thought I'd bought back in Nov. Went online to CVS, and learned it was "last filled 11/28/17, 90 day supply," so it was ineligible for a refill till the end of Feb. WTF?? I called them, and found out they were "holding" it. Suddenly I remembered: I had brought in the 'scrip with a bunch of others just before Thanksgiving, but my insurance wouldn't cover it till the 28th. I'd asked the tech if they could hold it, then fill it on the 28th and give me the usual "your prescription is available for pickup" robo-call. They never did. Last night Bob had called in a 'scrip for Tamiflu--the infectious disease guys at his hospital recommended it. If you take it as soon as flu symptoms hit, you might be able to knock it out within a day or two. But one of the i.d. docs said that the symptoms (headache, fever, muscle aches) come on so suddenly and severely that you're in no shape to have a Tamiflu 'scrip called in & go to the pharmacy to pick it up in time for it to work well. Bob is going to keep one pill in his glove box, and one in his coat pocket; he says to give Gordy two--one each for him & Leslie, one in my purse and the other five in our medicine cabinet. It's supposed to be taken B.I.D. for 5 days--but if we take that first pill soon enough it'll buy us enough time to get full 'scrips filled for each of us. Not bad for $2.50 per pack of 10.

I also went to my little combination Kosher deli/pharmacy to pick up my letrozole--it was expiring, so a couple days ago I went to my patient portal, clicked on "request Rx refill," clicked on "letrozole, last filled 12/12/17, expires 12/11/18," and clicked the name of the pharmacy. The next screen said "Your prescription will be refilled on 1/12/18." So I went to pick it up, and the pharmacist told me I had better call my MO--the refill was "denied." I said I couldn't understand why, since she wants me taking it at least through 2020. He replied that it was probably because she wanted me to do an office visit first, so she could get paid. I replied that she's on salary at the cancer center, an I have an appt. for 1/22 anyway (supposed to be 1/11, but her NP told me she had to reschedule for travel plans); and I couldn't imagine she'd want me to take a drug holiday. The pharmacist winked and said he didn't think so either. "Ten bucks. This didn't happen," he said, handing me the stock bottle with my prescription label on it. "Don't tell her I refilled it," he warned. I told him I would tell her my excuse for not calling her personally would be that I was able to dip into my stash of branded Femara (which was true). One more reason I'm not switching that Rx to CVS or Walgreen's. (Bet CVS would probably charge more). I will, however, message her on my portal and ask why the refill had been denied, since last year at this time it went through without a hitch. Bet her office never checked the portal and therefore failed to call it in this time.

Diagnosed at 64 on routine annual mammo, no lump. OncotypeDX 16. I cried because I had no shoes...but then again, I won’t get blisters.... Dx 9/9/2015, IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 9/23/2015 Lumpectomy: Right Radiation Therapy 11/2/2015 3DCRT: Breast Hormonal Therapy 12/31/2015 Femara (letrozole)

Jan 13, 2018 10:14PM IllinoisLady wrote:

There is a Chinese buffet off I-57 but I was here where I live in Centralia. I think we have two Chinese restaurants, 2 Mexican, 1 Italian, 1 barbecue, and a few other assorted as well as lots of fast food. It always seems odd to me to have so many places to eat ( 3 or 4 pizza places as well ) for such a small place -- and of course, off the Interstate are lots of places too. Lots of choices, but naturally I miss some of what we don't have -- like IHOP, Bob's Big Boy, Carls' Jr. Sigh !!!!

Each day I am thankful for nights that turned into mornings, friends that turned into family, dreams that turned into reality and likes that turned into love. ~~~Elizabeth Kuebler-Ross Dx 9/27/2007, IDC, 5cm, Stage II, Grade 3, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2-

Jan 13, 2018 11:02PM Wren44 wrote:

With so many Asians in the family, it's a treat to go out for something else. We do dim sum every couple of months and Thai in between. My parents wanted American food when they visited and we were a complete blank on where to find some. We have a couple of Middle Eastern places, a Central American place and a Mexican place. Those plus a couple of seafood places and pizza cover our eating out. We don't eat red meat, but most burger places here have veggie burgers.

Lumpectomy and re-excision followed by mastectomy of right breast. Five years of anastrasole completed.

Jan 14, 2018 02:52AM ChiSandy wrote:

You're not missing anything re: Bob's Big Boy (except the strawberry pie in summer), IHOP, or Carl's Jr. (but you do know Hardee's is exactly the same place--right down to the same ads, except w/o the bikini-clad supermodels washing cars; just as Best Foods mayonnaise is Hellman's here, and Dreyer's Grand on the coast is Edy's here). I'm more familiar w/Mt.Vernon (never stopped in Centralia) and Carbondale/Marion--the latter has a branch of 17th St. BBQ from Murphysboro. (The best branch used to be in the National Shooting Center just outside Sparta, but the owner closed it and it's been replaced by a mediocre Italian joint).

Diagnosed at 64 on routine annual mammo, no lump. OncotypeDX 16. I cried because I had no shoes...but then again, I won’t get blisters.... Dx 9/9/2015, IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 9/23/2015 Lumpectomy: Right Radiation Therapy 11/2/2015 3DCRT: Breast Hormonal Therapy 12/31/2015 Femara (letrozole)

Jan 14, 2018 10:41AM IllinoisLady wrote:

The value of all service lies in the spirit in which you serve and not in the importance or magnitude of the service. Even the lowliest task or deed is made holy, joyous, and prosperous when it is filled with love.

Charles Fillmore

Each day I am thankful for nights that turned into mornings, friends that turned into family, dreams that turned into reality and likes that turned into love. ~~~Elizabeth Kuebler-Ross Dx 9/27/2007, IDC, 5cm, Stage II, Grade 3, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2-

Jan 14, 2018 10:56AM IllinoisLady wrote:

Yes, Hardee's and Carl's Jr., is the same place. But they ( in the yrs. BOTH restaurants were here ) had fairly different menu's. The Carl's is gone now and Hardee's has d/c'ed their fried chicken which was one of the big draws for me. The two pretty much have the same food now. We don't eat out that often, though run into the fast food places if we are out and get hungry .

We got a brand new McDonalds on our east side. Thought about moving it I think, but the spot was good for a number of reasons so in the end they stayed there. I don't mind the new restaurant, though I have several big dislikes. The ordering kiosks are right at the front door as you pile in which to me is rotten on a busy day. Also, I have no wish to go through computer pages to order. I 'compute' enough at home. As well, they put in two drive-thru lanes which in my view really 'messed' with the parking areas and the parking lanes are now too close together. If there is a drive-thru back-up -- you will possibly be stuck in the lot or the line until it clears. Still, it is close to us --- and so far, seems to not be super crowded. That helps quite a bit.

Frigid again overnight and this a.m. Don't know if we will get sun, but looks like most of the week we will have some. By Saturday -- it should be 51. I'll be glad to see it, but as usual it seems for this yr. we are swinging back and forth a good deal. Hurry Spring !!!

Jan 14, 2018 01:21PM Wren44 wrote:

Supposed to be 50 here and the sun is lovely. Just wish I had my energy back to go out and enjoy it more.

Lumpectomy and re-excision followed by mastectomy of right breast. Five years of anastrasole completed.

Jan 14, 2018 04:25PM carolehalston wrote:

Sunny, cold day here. I'm cooking chicken and sausage gumbo for dinner so the house has some lovely smells coming from the kitchen. I've also been catching up on bc.org threads. The football game between JAX and PIT is on but I haven't been paying a lot of attention. I'll watch the next game with the Saints and the Vikings. I'm much afraid the game won't be a lot of pleasure for Saints fans.

In regard to the discussion of fast food places, I have become a McDonald's fan the last few years. Their coffee is good and so are the sausage biscuits. If calories weren't a concern, I would have a couple of those biscuits every day! I find the chicken sandwiches make a good lunch in a pinch.

Wren, I didn't know you have an Asian background. Are you Chinese American?

Hope everyone is enjoying the day.

Nipple-Sparing BMX w/Alloderm & Silicone Implants 7/24/09, Oncotype Dx 9, No Chemo, No Rads, Arimidex Dx 6/25/2009, IDC, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 3, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Jan 14, 2018 06:13PM Wren44 wrote:

Carole, I don't have an Asian background, more like German. DD's husband is from Burma. His mother is Shan tribe and his father was Chinese. DS's wife is half Japanese. It's the guy from Burma who always picks Chinese food. His father took the whole family to China 6-7 years ago and showed them the village where he was sent to school. At the end of the war, he had been in China so long that he had problems getting back into Burma. He finally remembered a few Burmese words so they decided he really was from there. The GS have been back several times and are experienced travelers.

Jan 15, 2018 02:48AM ChiSandy wrote:

Well, I went and did something really stupid:

I fell very late last night/early this morning (was coming back upstairs, and I didn't notice as I was climbing that one of my backless clogs had fallen off). Got up to the second floor landing, and the sudden imbalance between the shod and barefoot leg length threw me for a loop and I came down hard on the oak floor, in front of the bedroom door. (Someone must have been watching over me because I fell away from the staircase). I knew from experience to land on my side rather than my back, and so I landed on my right side. Big bruise along the skin over the side of the femur, and I scraped exactly the same elbow in exactly the same place as when I fell outside a Milwaukee parking garage two years ago--only this time I was in a T-shirt and the abrasion is shallower than it was when I'd been wearing a coarse-metallic-knit top under a leather jacket in Milwaukee. I never knew how much damage a scratchy lamé knit can do when it rubs hard between leather & skin. There wasn't a mark on the leather. I took a Lyrica (couldn't do an NSAID and already had Tylenol three hrs. earlier). Was out like a light (after Heidi, my little black girl-kitty, jumped on my chest and head-butted & purred me to sleep) till 11:30 am. I found I'd slightly sprained my left wrist as well.

So here I am, stuck inside (snowing all night, and part of tomorrow, icy streets & stairs), hurting too much to exercise, with a whole bunch of guitars...none of which I can play comfortably right now. If I can't go out and can't play music, I either watch too much TV, spend too much time online (and sometimes, shopping), and (most dangerous of all) eating. I think to distract myself tomorrow I will just do a lot of instrument care: refilling case humidifiers, changing strings (I have a battery-powered motorized winder), polishing guitars, etc. This afternoon I went through my spice cabinet, sniffing & tasting to see which ones had gone stale (actually, none of them, not even the paprikas I brought back from Hungary five years ago).

Gonna take my meds, ice my wrist, rub arnica gel on my bruises, change my elbow bandage (sigh--looks like the scrape is oozing), and go upstairs to cocoon myself. Just saw a news rebroadcast: we're in the midst of the year's biggest storm. (Okay, the year is only two weeks old, but still...). Bob has to work tomorrow. Carrie (housekeeper) is off for the holiday. Gordy has been at Leslie's since Friday night, and since she's off tomorrow too, he won't be home till Tuesday. I might start talking to my cats. If they talk back, and start making sense, it's definitely time to call my shrink.

Jan 15, 2018 04:14AM ChiSandy wrote:

As I was laying out my meds tonight, it dawned on me how I sprained my left wrist even though when I fell I landed entirely on the right side: early Saturday evening I was trying to open a brand-new bottle of CVS' generic Zyrtec, and got so frustrated I nearly took a hacksaw to it before the cap finally budged. (Yes, I WAS pressing down hard while twisting the cap). Had a flashback to the first episode of the first season of SNL, which had a fake commercial for the pain reliever "Triopenin," in which the frustrated patient ended up smashing the bottle with a hammer.

Jan 15, 2018 10:18AM IllinoisLady wrote:

I have learned to recognize and celebrate my gifts, to enjoy my calling, to revel in my unique place in God's plan.There is genuine satisfaction in who I am, what I have, where I'm going, and what I can give to others.It is enough. -Roger C. Palms

Jan 15, 2018 10:28AM IllinoisLady wrote:

Omg, sure glad it wasn't worse Sandy. Your house must be warm on the stairs if you don't notice being barefoot. Well, I've likely got it backwards -- my feet ALWAYS feel strange since chemo txs. so I'm usually REALLY aware ( not that I haven't walked out of my own backless slippers ) of what is going on with my feet. I have a couple of pairs of shoes and slippers I change throughout the day and sometimes night -- and then I don't get the ache ( upper and lower ) in the feet so much. Good that you know what to do to alleviate most of your issues.

Now about those pesky bottle caps. Sure would be nice if we didn't have to have safety caps on so much of what we use. I am mindful though that it is protection for babies and youngsters. My cousin by first marriage ( actually a Canadian ) is the one who designed those caps which likely were later refined. He passed on some yrs. later, but he were he still around would be having the same issues trying to open those bottles as we do.

Some of the bottles ( it always seems to throw me till I re-figure it out ) have a sort of outcropped lip and if you push on it, the lid just turns ever so nicely. This comes to me usually after long minutes with sweat building on my brow and immense frustration. You have I think hit on something very real -- that hands and wrists can ache and we don't always connect it to opening pill containers.

Jan 15, 2018 11:05AM carolehalston wrote:

Sandy, sorry about your accident but the English major in me appreciated your narration of the event. The good news is that you weren't hurt more seriously.

I am such a lazy slob these days. It's almost 10 am and I am still in my gown and robe in the living room, having drunk my pot of coffee. It's a bright sunny day and I will do some household chores today, including laundry. I give dh the blame for not going to the gym even one time this past week. He woke up on Monday morning with dizziness/vertigo and nausea and I was Nurse Carole for several days.

I have been busy crocheting hats to donate to a church that makes up gift bags for breast cancer patients. I will take a picture and post it. So far I think I have made about 30 hats, using leftover balls of yarn.

Have a good Monday.

Nipple-Sparing BMX w/Alloderm & Silicone Implants 7/24/09, Oncotype Dx 9, No Chemo, No Rads, Arimidex Dx 6/25/2009, IDC, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 3, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Jan 15, 2018 12:24PM IllinoisLady wrote:

Great way to use leftover yarn Carole, and I'm sure ( though they don't know who ) the patients getting the gift bags with the cancer hats are thrilled. Especially with the winter we are having. Good karma to you.

Jan 15, 2018 01:26PM Wren44 wrote:

Sandy, I was holding my breath for you to say you'd fallen back down the stairs. Sorry you fell at all, but better than the stairs, I'm sure. Sprained wrist is a bummer. I worry about falling here since we sleep upstairs and the bathroom is downstairs. We do have a lamp that burns all night.

Carole, Do you have a pattern for the hats? I have a friend who crochets afghans from yarn bits. These are given to people in rehab. They have them while they're in a wheelchair and take them home at the end. She goes to Goodwill and gets those bunches of leftover yarn that people donate.

If you don't have small children around, you can request the reversible caps. One side has the push down and turn lock and turned over it's an easy open. I took a bottle back to the shelter because I couldn't get it open. One of the volunteers managed to do it and then taught me the reversible cap trick. I was ready to use a hammer.

Jan 15, 2018 06:28PM - edited Jan 15, 2018 06:28PM by ChiSandy

Well, the cap in question was on a prepackaged OTC bottle of store-brand cetirizine. Never occurred to me to request a pharmacy tech to repackage it in a reversible-cap bottle (if they even stock them), especially with the long lines at the pickup & dropoff windows. I usually have no trouble with those push-and-twist (nor, on Listerine bottles, squeeze-and-twist) caps--and they generally don't put them on OTC meds & supplements other than acetaminophen--but this one was a doozy. Those little detents that keep the cap from unthreading are thicker and taller than usual. I didn't full close the cap to the point where it clicks, for fear of not being able to reopen it. Wrist feeling a bit better after taking that Aleve at bedtime.

But oh, boy, did I ever pay for that Aleve! Couldn't sleep for an hour because Bob kept kicking the bed as he slept. Finally fell asleep after he got up to go to the bathroom. Awoke suddenly from an interesting dream, 3 hrs. in, with sharp midepigastric pain: colicky, in waves, just below the breast crease & sternum. Couldn't burp or fart. Poked Bob awake and asked him where the pain from his small bowel obstruction started, and he replied "periumbilical" (around the navel). Nope, not mine. Asked if it were a heart attack: nope--regular normal (low 60s) heartbeat, not sweating, no trouble breathing. Went to the bathroom & consulted the Merck Manual on my iPad (my "loo library"), and thought maybe pancreatitis or the retained common duct stone from my 1994 lap. choly. Not the latter--I think I passed it in 2005 just before I was about to have an ERCP done. And my temp. was absolutely normal. No unintended weight loss either, even gained a couple of lbs--not a surprise, as I've been craving carbs more than ever and usually giving in.

That left either food poisoning or norovirus. Not the former--Bob's fine. Not the latter--no nausea or diarrhea. And again, no fever. Meanwhile, sitting up, I was able to force a burp or two, and the pain began to lessen. Then a teensy fart. Went back to bed (after an hour awake) and my big cat Happy jumped on to me and began to knead on my chest & stomach while purring like crazy--then he flopped his neck on to my face and purred himself, and me, to sleep. He woke me up at 1 pm--this time for food (2 hrs late, mea culpa).

Also noticed my elbow bandage had loosened (I was sleeping in short-sleeved PJs). Rather than replace it with some more antibiotic ointment, I decided to follow a Parisian pharmacist's advice two years ago and let it air out and scab over, which after a few hrs. it has. Not oozing any more. No cellulitis yet, so I'm hopeful.

Not taking any chances for breakfast: boiled egg, 1/3 of a toasted bagel (nothing on it) and black coffee. System making up for lost time, but still normally. TMI.

OMG, I'm turning into my mother--only 15 years before she started giving "organ recitals!"

Jan 16, 2018 11:00AM IllinoisLady wrote:

The roots of love sink down and deep and strike out far, and they are arteries that feed our lives, so we must see that they get the water and sun they need so they can nourish us. And when you put something good into the world, something good comes back to you. -Merle Shain

Jan 16, 2018 11:06AM IllinoisLady wrote:

Sandy, sometimes you are just too funny or when did I start sounding just like my mother. Of course, I'm okay with sounding like mine. She was 'who' she was her entire life so was easy to take. I miss her sooo much, but she did her time and moved on where things are better.

It will get up to ( swoon, not ) 15 degrees today. I'm hoping for some sun which might come and will make it feel better especially if there is no wind. In fact, there is the possibility of some sun most days going forward. Thurs. numbers are @ 44, Fri., 50 and by Sunday 55. These extremes. Wouldn't be surprised if some rain didn't come along then. We are having a weird winter though it is as cold as what has been predicted for at least the last three yrs. So, fingers crossed for that sun which seems to be trying.

Hope you are all going to have a good day.

Jan 16, 2018 11:14AM pingpong1953 wrote:

My sibs and I used to laugh when our maternal aunt made her annual visit and she and Mom would spend hours talking about who has what and who's died of this or that and then continue with their own health complaints. Now that we're in our 60's and 70's we find ourselves doing the same thing. We were even into competitive blood-pressure readings for a while.

Dx 4/12/2017, DCIS/IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IIA, Grade 3, 1/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 5/2/2017 Lumpectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Chemotherapy 7/5/2017 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Ellence (epirubicin), Fluorouracil (5-fluorouracil, 5-FU, Adrucil), Taxotere (docetaxel) Hormonal Therapy 12/8/2017 Femara (letrozole) Surgery 2/27/2018 Lymph node removal: Underarm/Axillary; Mastectomy: Right

Jan 16, 2018 11:18AM bonnets wrote:

Snowing lightly here right now, but supposed to get heavy later. Depending on which station you listen to , they can't decide whether it will get heavy later today, tonight or in the morning! Time will tell.

Yup Pingpong, if we didn't have those things to talk about what wud we talk about, except Politics, No!!!

Bonnets Dx 8/30/2012, IDC, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 9/14/2012 Lumpectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Right, Sentinel Radiation Therapy 10/22/2012 Breast

Jan 16, 2018 01:19PM Wren44 wrote:

We have cats. Good topic of conversation.

Jan 16, 2018 02:48PM pingpong1953 wrote:

Luckily, all of us are on the same page, politics-wise.

Dx 4/12/2017, DCIS/IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IIA, Grade 3, 1/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 5/2/2017 Lumpectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Chemotherapy 7/5/2017 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Ellence (epirubicin), Fluorouracil (5-fluorouracil, 5-FU, Adrucil), Taxotere (docetaxel) Hormonal Therapy 12/8/2017 Femara (letrozole) Surgery 2/27/2018 Lymph node removal: Underarm/Axillary; Mastectomy: Right

Jan 16, 2018 02:49PM pingpong1953 wrote:

Luckily, all of us are on the same page, politics-wise.

Jan 16, 2018 03:20PM IllinoisLady wrote:

Yes politics and religion are not spoken about too much here. There are lots of other places for that and here is where we gather to enjoy each other and hear what is going on in our lives. Here to assist others who may be new to the journey of this disease, but otherwise to just be willing shoulders to share life after getting over the hurdle of a scary disease. It is nice to hear familiar voices living everyday life.

Sun hasn't stayed out as much as I'd like, but it did come out. Took my car to the dealership as I needed air in the tires and some prices on filters I will need when I go to get the oil changed soon and tires rotated.

As I bought the car used ( though it looked brand new ) the diagnostics said my brakes were still basically perfect. Nothing needed at this point but the filter for the inside air. Silly me ( you can tell I know little about cars ) I didn't know that cars ( don't know about other makes - mine is a Chevrolet ) now have a filter for the air inside your car -- or I guess that flows into the car. Tires are still just fine. It is in bad need of a good wash since there is road salt on it. When it warms towards the end of the week I'll go and get the big major wash. Costs $10.00 but does the underside, two washes, three rinses, and rain-x during the spot free rinse. Mainly doing this because I want the salt off the underside as well. Car is doing better now that I'm properly inflated. I could feel it being a little wishy-washy on the snow and ice and didn't like it. Dh is working long hours and so doesn't want to do my tires in the dark. Don't blame him -- I wouldn't have liked for him to mess with it after work in the dark and cold either.

Jan 16, 2018 05:50PM ChiSandy wrote:

Woo-hoo, all the way into the 20s today--but clear & single digits tonight, so back on will go the faucets.

Jan 16, 2018 08:24PM Anneb1149 wrote:

Sorry it’s been so long since I checked in.

Kate- I want to let you know I had problems with the nuelasta. I alwAys thought it was the chemo until one of my kids noticed the side effects came after the nuelasta. I felt like I had the flu and ached everywhere, and was very tired. Since I got the nuelasta 24 hrs after chemo, guess it could have been either, or a combo of both.

I have no idea what I have been doing, but I am tired. I did see a cardiologist who said my heart and circulation are good. I went to a pulmonologist today. They did a breathing test. Everything looked okay, except for my blood oxygen which dropped when they had me walk for two minutes. They are getting reports from my PCP, and the cardiologist, and are sending me for a CT scan,and blood work. I am so tired of doctors and tests. My brother’s girlfriend has been on a DR based diet and has lost about 60lbs. So we decided last weekend, we were going to try it. It turns out that it’s not a diet. It’s an eating plan, balancing carbs, protein and fat. It’s a change we both have needed to do for a long time. It’s very new, and takes some serious, but easy calculating. You need to plan a full day’s menu at a time! So you can get your carbs, fats and protein divided out to match your totals thru the day. So far, while we are not quite getting the numbers right in each group, we are not getting to the total calories they recommend each day. But we are not eating any junk food and we are full.

We are headed to GA this Fri to celebrate my second grandson’s 16th Birthday. I am going to see all my bc Drs for my yearly checkups, then we are going to my son’s in S.C. to see his girls. We are only going for a week because of the weather. Since my daughter moved to GA, her oldest (the one that started college this fall) has come into my room every night and we watch a TV show and talk. My daughter called last night and said one of his friends is coming home with him. Nancy said my bed may get kind of crowded. So I texted Mike saying I heard he was bringing a friend home and asked if he would be joining us for TV. Mike’s response was a quick and definite “No”. I said good cause we have a lot to catch up on. He replied, “Oh Grandma, we’ll never be able to catch up completely in two nights.”Gotta love that kid, he loves our alone time as much as I do.

Then my daughter said she was having a problem with the birthday boy, because she wanted to go to the Japanese restaurant I took the boys to on Michael’s 18th birthday and Andrew said no, that that was Michael’s special place and he wanted his own place. I told Nancy I totally agreed with Andrew, and if he picks Red Robin,that’s where we go. Without knowing anything about that conversation, he picked Red Robin. It’s above fast food, but not quite Chili’s or Applebee’s. Do I know my guys or what?

I’ll try to be more consistent with checking in. I miss knowing what’s going on with everyone

Anne

Dx 9/25/2013, IDC, 1cm, Stage IIIA, Grade 2, 3/9 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2+ Targeted Therapy 10/4/2013 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Targeted Therapy 10/4/2013 Perjeta (pertuzumab) Chemotherapy 10/10/2013 Taxotere (docetaxel) Surgery 1/28/2014 Lymph node removal: Right, Underarm/Axillary; Mastectomy: Left, Right Radiation Therapy Breast, Lymph nodes

Jan 17, 2018 10:10AM IllinoisLady wrote:

Magic is a sudden opening of the mind to the wonder of existence. It is a sense that there is much more to life than we usually recognize; that we do not have to be confined by the limited views that our family, our society, or our own habitual thoughts impose on us; that life contains many dimensions, depths, textures, and meanings extending far beyond our familiar beliefs and concepts. -John Welwood

Jan 17, 2018 10:24AM IllinoisLady wrote:

Good to hear from you Anne -- and I sure do hope you get some answers that indicate to you as to where you are health-wise. Doesn't sound too bad at the moment. Maybe you are tired because you keep an active life going mentally as well as physically. Also I realize that it is a 'simple' answer, but you have had many times of stress during many of the last months with storm issues etc. I just hope you get reports that help you.

On the other hand ( not sure what DR based diet might be ) changing a style of eating with a positive structure sounds to me like it could really help. I think that could ultimately help most people. I'm not structured at all -- so I think we are all a bit different in our responses to food. I also know exercise always should be there. For we older people that could be just walking a certain amt. Doesn't have to be REALLY aerobic -- but more consistent I think. Here's hoping.

Still cooler than I like today but we have a strong sun out today so all will be well with me. I do love the sunshine. It makes me whole. It will help usher in those warmer temps coming on the week-end. Just hoping we don't get rain as a result. We will see.

Otherwise my day will be like most of them -- interspersed with things that need doing around here. I have reached a nice milestone point where I'm able to keep up a lot more with the 'normal' things while fitting in some of the let go too long things. Feels good to have reached this point.

Hope all of you will have some warmth and lots of sun to enjoy.

Jan 17, 2018 10:51AM bonnets wrote:

Just dug the cars out while DH plows with his old tractor. Its up to 30 here, got 7 inches and still lightly snowing.Plows have been thru about once. Next week around 50 and rain! Crazy!

Bonnets Dx 8/30/2012, IDC, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 9/14/2012 Lumpectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Right, Sentinel Radiation Therapy 10/22/2012 Breast

Page 1059 of 1,076 (32,269 results)