We are 219,480 members in 81 forums discussing 155,301 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: Can we have a forum for "older" people with bc?

Forum: Older Than 60 Years Old With Breast Cancer —

Meet other women who are similar in age and dealing with age-appropriate issues.

Posted on: Feb 7, 2009 06:29PM

Northstar wrote:

I am an "older" woman with breast cancer (I was diagnosed at 65 and am now 66).  I notice that most of the posts seem to be from people younger than I am (often by quite a bit...).   I'd love to "talk" with others my age, exchange info about their diagnoses, effects on their lives, etc.   I see that there is a forum for young women.

Someone suggested that maybe it's that older people aren't so computer-savvy or aren't used to being in online discussion groups.   However, for those who are, it would be great. 

DX 8/15/08, ILC, 5.1 cm, Stage IIb, Grade 1, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-, Oncotype DX 11.

Page 1093 of 1,145 (34,350 results)

Posts 32761 - 32790 (34,350 total)

Aug 10, 2018 11:27PM Wren44 wrote:

Busy day today. Took DH to an appointment with the pacemaker nurse. She verified that it was working correctly and made another appointment for 3 months. Very interesting to see all the electronic monitoring equipment in action. Then to the animal shelter where we took in 10 new cats (5 yesterday). At least 2 of the newbies were adopted right away. There were lots of people looking at cats and people looking for their lost cats. I never had time for lunch so was happy to see one volunteer brought in homemade cookies.

Lumpectomy and re-excision followed by mastectomy of right breast. Five years of anastrasole completed.

Aug 11, 2018 12:57AM ChiSandy wrote:

Hey Wren, do you remember a restaurant in West Seattle called Skipper's Galley? It was on the first floor of a house, and run by Wally Fischer, the former exec. chef at the Olympic Hotel. When we lived in the U. Dist. in the early '70s, it was our special-occasion place. It had this giant menu in a looseleaf binder, but whatever you ordered was preceded by Korbel champagne, half a rock lobster, lumpfish caviar, a bucket of steamed mussels, shrimp cocktail, salad; and finished with Baked Alaska. Well, tonight Bob & I went to RPM Steak. We perused the dessert menu, and when we saw Baked Alaska we looked at each other and said "hell, yeah!" We toasted Chef Wally, wherever he may be.

Diagnosed at 64 on routine annual mammo, no lump. OncotypeDX 16. I cried because I had no shoes...but then again, I won’t get blisters.... Dx 9/9/2015, IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (IHC) Surgery 9/23/2015 Lumpectomy: Right Radiation Therapy 11/2/2015 3DCRT: Breast Hormonal Therapy 12/31/2015 Femara (letrozole)

Aug 11, 2018 10:04AM IllinoisLady wrote:

When we think we're separate, we lose power. Whenever I say "my," I have lost my power. Power is not my power; it is not enlarging oneself as a separate individual. It is only gainable as part of a larger whole. Then you communicate with the rest of yourself--which may be a tree. You, reciprocally, are moved by the universe. Whenever you shut down connectedness, you get depressed. Psychic awareness breaks in as a gift. It's fearful to know we're connected to everything in the universe, because then we're responsible.

Glenda Taylor

Each day I am thankful for nights that turned into mornings, friends that turned into family, dreams that turned into reality and likes that turned into love. ~~~Elizabeth Kuebler-Ross Dx 9/27/2007, IDC, 5cm, Stage II, Grade 3, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2-

Aug 11, 2018 02:55PM Wren44 wrote:

Sandy, I've never been there. I looked Wally up online and he died of natural causes at 86 (almost 87). His obit mentions the restaurant and the baked Alaska. Sounds like it was a great place. Sorry I never got there.

Lumpectomy and re-excision followed by mastectomy of right breast. Five years of anastrasole completed.

Aug 12, 2018 10:50AM IllinoisLady wrote:

The number of the hours in a day is fixed, but the quantity and quality of energy available to us is not. It is our most precious resource. The more we take responsibility for the energy we bring to the world, the more empowered and productive we become. The more we blame others or external circumstances, the more negative and compromised our energy is likely to be. -Jim Loehr and Tony Schwartz

Each day I am thankful for nights that turned into mornings, friends that turned into family, dreams that turned into reality and likes that turned into love. ~~~Elizabeth Kuebler-Ross Dx 9/27/2007, IDC, 5cm, Stage II, Grade 3, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2-

Aug 12, 2018 01:56PM IllinoisLady wrote:

Beauty of a Sunday here. I did a couple of hrs. work and Dh invited me for a breakfast out -- even though I had steel cut oats ready -- I went. One big reason -- the Good Will store can be seen from the restaurant. So, made my usual run through and found a couple of treasures. Hate to admit I seldom go now to Salvation Army. Their prices are a bit higher now and I'm pretty sure it is because they don't get the business they use to. Good Will has things down pat as far as clean store, clean merchandise and great pricing. Sort of like Walmart running other businesses out. I hope the SA can hang on.

Aug 13, 2018 10:07AM carolehalston wrote:

It has been hot enough here to keep the a/c running for several days. Tomorrow the pattern will break and we will return to nice days. Just in time for my Tuesday golf! Yay!

I haven't been outside yet this morning but will water my plants on the deck. And may go out to the little playground and pull some weeds that grow in the gravel.

Glad you will have an operating refrigerator, Sandy, and that part of your life can return to normal. Hope the healing in your body continues.

Glad your dh is doing well, Wren.

Too bad about the ear issue, Puffin. Maybe the train trip will be more fun than a flight.

Guess I should get moving and try to accomplish something today. This afternoon we will head to Bemidji for my WW meeting and dinner at a restaurant afterwards.

Happy Monday.

Nipple-Sparing BMX w/Alloderm & Silicone Implants 7/24/09, Oncotype Dx 9, No Chemo, No Rads, Arimidex Dx 6/25/2009, IDC, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 3, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Aug 13, 2018 10:21AM IllinoisLady wrote:

To live content with small means; to seek elegance rather than luxury; and refinement rather than fashion; to be worthy, not respectable; and wealthy, not rich; to study hard, think quietly, talk gently, act frankly; to listen to stars and birds, to babes and sages, with open heart; to bear all cheerfully, do all bravely, await occasion, hurry never; in a word, to let the spiritual, unbidden, and unconscious to grow up through the common. This is to be my symphony. -William Henry Channing

Aug 13, 2018 10:34AM IllinoisLady wrote:

Going to be pretty here but rain is coming soon. Bill goes to the doggie beauty shop at noon today. Had to get a special shampoo for him as he is an 'allergy' dog. Vet wanted me to bathe him weekly, but I'm not at all positive that I can. He is pretty big even for our oversized garden tub, and trying to get him lathered up is difficult for me. So, gave him a bunch of prednisone and hoping that every two wks. will hold him.

I pulled some weeds this a.m. So much land here that it is not un-common for me ( if I am out early enough for the coolness ) to stop along my path to haul things out to the garbage can, at any of several places along the way to grab a few. This could almost be a daily chore. Our house sets back from our road a good distance so plenty of areas for the weeds to rear their not too attractive heads.

Wednesday will take my friend to the Dr. At least I think so. She has to get approval for everything as all the Dr.'s she needs right now are not in her network. She insists on going to lunch since I refuse gas money. I do insist on paying the tip though. No one around here has any money and certainly not her.

Mulling over going to a Veteran townhall meeting that will be in Mt. Vernon ( one of the towns quite close to us ) as things are different now and while we haven't had any issues there are things it would be nice to know. Knowing some of the things that might change in advance ( since this is the only form of insurance Dh and I have ) would be pretty beneficial. We will see -- may depend on when Dh gets off work that day.

Aug 14, 2018 10:02AM carolehalston wrote:

Dh helped me weed the little graveled playground yesterday. He loosened the weeds with a shovel, which really made the job easier. He also pulled some of the weeds. Afterwards I gathered them all up into plastic grocery bags and threw them into the dumpster.

I was up 1.6 lbs at my WW weigh in last evening. I obviously didn't do as well with my healthy eating and exercise last week. The heat kept me indoors quite a bit and I didn't take my exercise walks. Will have to do better this week.

Despite the gain we went to dinner at a BBQ restaurant and had a good meal and a nice cold mug of draft light beer.

This morning it's hazy out, presumably from the fires in Canada. The air quality has not been good lately for people with breathing problems. I will be playing golf with the women's league at noon.

Happy Tuesday.

Nipple-Sparing BMX w/Alloderm & Silicone Implants 7/24/09, Oncotype Dx 9, No Chemo, No Rads, Arimidex Dx 6/25/2009, IDC, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 3, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Aug 14, 2018 10:41AM IllinoisLady wrote:

The paralyzing effect of fear makes us as helpless as babies and blinds us to the truth that God didn't send us here to be powerless spectators, but to become powerful initiators. We are spiritual beings having an earthly experience, and we have the power to break the cycle of negativity that is fueling a very dangerous world. It's not only possible, it's why we are here.

Susan L. Taylor

Aug 14, 2018 10:49AM IllinoisLady wrote:

Carole, I guess without the weeds, we not appreciate all the beautiful flowers as much. Our driveway is still full of nut casings ( in many cases that still have nuts in them ) and lots of little tid-bits that fell out of the trees as the squirrels were eating them. At certain times -- going out around the drive-way can sound almost like rain as all these 'pieces' rain down out of the trees. Hard to guess how many squirrels are up there but it makes the drive-way quite a mess and a little dangerous if you step on one of the almost whole walnuts. They are fairly big when they come out of the trees. Golf ball size at least -- so we have to watch it walking out there. Not only to avoid turning an ankle, but not being hit by a falling one.

Rain this afternoon or tomorrow and no matter when it starts --- sounds like it could pretty much go through Sunday. SIGH !!!

I'm up in wt. about the same amt. Carole. I have to curtain my bread again which gets me just about every time. I go in spurts and have apparently eaten more than I 'allowed' myself to notice.

Aug 14, 2018 04:42PM IllinoisLady wrote:

Had our first rain squall this afternoon. You might know the things I ordered showed up. So there I was in the VERY pouring rain getting the two wheel cart to try and get the big cartons into the screen room before they got any wetter. This will be the story for the next few days. At least our lawn is mowed and we are in the spate of time where it really doesn't grow fast anyway. Thank goodness I dusted off my car when I got back from feeding my cats.

There is one kitty/kitten. It's likely old enough to do just fine eating but is quite small. Had to devise a second feeding spot as some young raccoons have figured out where the little one is fed. So, I leave food at the kitten's little and then go on down several yards to where the adult cats eat. If the raccoons are around the first spot I go around in back and call the kitty. Then leave food there. The 'coons' are so busy in the first spot the little one gets plenty of time to eat her food.

Aug 14, 2018 06:43PM - edited Aug 14, 2018 06:44PM by ChiSandy

Rain coming late tonight, and over the rest of the week. (Hope not hard enough to trip the GFCI breaker in our detached garage--truly a multi-stage PITA to get the door working). Mid-80s. Mold very high, weeds & ragweed med-high. Bless my allergy meds & A/Cs.

Jackie, are your walnuts edible? Would love to have an edible nut tree. Walnut is also a great tonewood for guitar & dulcimer bodies (not tops--too stiff to resonate adequately).

Diagnosed at 64 on routine annual mammo, no lump. OncotypeDX 16. I cried because I had no shoes...but then again, I won’t get blisters.... Dx 9/9/2015, IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (IHC) Surgery 9/23/2015 Lumpectomy: Right Radiation Therapy 11/2/2015 3DCRT: Breast Hormonal Therapy 12/31/2015 Femara (letrozole)

Aug 14, 2018 06:53PM IllinoisLady wrote:

Sandy, they are but we don't bother with them at our age. They are hard to get out of the green shells which are very hard that encase them -- you get your hands all filthy and though you can eat them ( our neighbor did this ) it is such an ordeal. Guess you need to turn them over to someone who has the right equipment to deal with them. Or let the squirrels have them. Come to think of it -- maybe that ordeal is why so much of the nutmeats end up on the ground along with the hard green shells. Black walnuts now --- no matter what the trouble I'd likely try to get them.

Aug 14, 2018 07:34PM ChiSandy wrote:

Ah--didn't know they weren't black walnuts.

Aug 14, 2018 09:15PM Wren44 wrote:

Black walnuts make regular walnuts look like a breeze. We've tried to harvest them but gave up eventually.

Aug 15, 2018 08:39AM Jwb44 wrote:

Hi North star i was 72 when I got the news, had a lot side effects from chemo. I opted to have a mastectomy and now thinking that I might want reconstruction surgery just a lot more to think about. My hair is not coming back very quick.

Aug 15, 2018 10:11AM carolehalston wrote:

Welcome, Jwb. I also had a mastectomy back in 2009 and I opted for immediate reconstruction during the same surgery. Healing presented some challenges but that period is a distant memory now. We would be happy for you to join our conversation.

We badly need rain. It hasn't rained for weeks. The pollen count is medium. I get a daily message on my cell phone.

My schedule is clear today. In a little while I will go for a walk, probably about 2 1/2 miles. I also plan to do some cooking for tonight's dinner, an eggplant dish. I bought two lovely eggplants at a farmers' market and like to make a layered dish with tomato sauce and Italian cheese.

Dh will be playing golf today. Hope he enjoys himself as I did yesterday playing with the women's group.

Happy Wednesday.

Aug 15, 2018 10:30AM joycek wrote:

Carol, I’d be glad to send you some of our rain.....haven’t seen the sun in days. We are headed to Booth Bay Harbor on Friday for a couple of days.....hope the weather is better there. Looking forward to lobster!!!!!

Dx 2/23/2010, IDC, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 1, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 3/10/2010 Lumpectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Right, Sentinel

Aug 15, 2018 12:02PM Wren44 wrote:

Our air quality is "unhealthy" thanks to fires in British Columbia, Washington, Oregon and N. California. Good excuse to drive to the library rather than walk. I could use the exercise but I have a touch of asthma so it's probably not a good idea.

Aug 15, 2018 02:14PM IllinoisLady wrote:

People only begin to grow when they cease to whine and revile, and commence
to search for the hidden justice which regulates their lives. And as they adapt
their minds to that regulating factor, they cease to accuse others as the cause
of their condition, and build themselves up in strong and noble thoughts. They
cease to kick against circumstances, but begin to use them as aids to their more
rapid progress, and as a means of discovering the hidden
powers and possibilities within themselves.

James Allen

Aug 15, 2018 02:27PM IllinoisLady wrote:

Just now getting back from taking my friend to the same-day surrey for her biopsy. The Dr. needed the biopsy to ascertain whether the second mass is a different kind of cancer from the first 'discovery'. One is in the chest, the other is behind her nose. Dr. is hoping they will be different which would give her a much better outlook. The area in the chest/lung is about an inch in size and she has chosen radiation for it. The Dr. thinks she will likely need not only radiation but chemo and I took it that the chemo would address the nasal area. It would be concurrent txs. so a lot going on.

So up at 4 a.m. and operating w/o coffee, or breakfast ( we both thought it would go a little quicker ) so am getting that taken care of now.

Had a couple of rain squalls yesterday and several already today. Ick, but nice that I don't have to water.

Aug 15, 2018 09:30PM cs1522 wrote:

are u still alive? I’m scared to death. Similar diagnosis

Aug 15, 2018 09:31PM cs1522 wrote:

are u still alive? I’m so scared

Aug 16, 2018 10:42AM IllinoisLady wrote:

"No matter who you are, no matter what you did, no matter where you've come from, you can always change, become a better version of yourself."

-- Madonna

Aug 16, 2018 11:07AM IllinoisLady wrote:

cs1522 -- Welcome --- although as always we here wish we did not have to have the welcome mat out. My thoughts are this. I think you can have benign results at any time. I just had one ( not this mammogram, but the one before ) at age 72. Age can be a factor in older women but it I think has a lot to do with reoccurrence. Getting a dx. is scary at any time in your life, but so much more is known now that many of us are able ( with our Dr.'s and oncology teams ) to get treatment and move on with our life in fruitful and satisfying ways. Also, as we age and better methods ( like 3-D digital mammos ) for X-ray mammography studies come up, there is the possibility that things will be discovered that might not have been seen before. This may or may not be the case -- in my original dx. I actually had two tumors in the same breast and they were both different kinds. One aggressive, one not. Had 3-D been available then -- maybe they both would have been seen before my lumpectomy.

It is normal to ( just my opinion, but certainly normal for me ) feel distress and panic. We have ( the medical/scientific branch ) made such great strides where a cancer dx. is concerned, but so long ago ( before so much was known ) the outcomes were not nearly so positive as they are now. So, a cancer dx. tends to rush us into thinking the worst and being full of fear.

It is okay to be afraid -- but the best thing anyone can do is to get all the tests needed to KNOW where you are, and then work with ( if need be ) your Dr. and medical team. They will be your guide. We are here for support, and all different kinds of hand-holding. We are cheer-leaders for getting through any diagnosis and give you a place to vent and find comfort. A lot of us are old-timers now though we always will remain vigilant.

Hoping for the very best for you.

Aug 16, 2018 02:49PM carolehalston wrote:

Busy morning. Off to the gym at 8 am. Then breakfast at West Forty, our favorite breakfast place. Then shopping at Walmart, mostly for groceries.

Our smoke haze from the fire in Canada has gone away. Seems to be a year for fires.

Jackie, I hope your friend's treatment does the job on her two cancers.

Aug 16, 2018 05:07PM ChiSandy wrote:

cs1522, if your diagnosis was pure DCIS, with such a small total tumor size (even if multifocal), your prognosis is excellent--and better than most of us here, who had invasive ductal or lobular. The word "carcinoma" is scary, but DCIS is pretty mild in the greater scheme of cancers--by definition it can't spread beyond the ducts. For instance, chemo is never given for it. Some with hormone-negative DCIS that's multifocal opt for mastectomy--one and done, as a friend of mine put it. No anti-hormonal therapy, no radiation. She chose bilateral due to her small breasts, advanced age and not having worn a bra in decades anyway. If the DCIS is small enough relative to the size of the breast (as was my IDC), lumpectomy is possible; and with subsequent radiation, the survival rate is identical to mastectomy.

You got this, girl--and we're in your pocket for what comes next. Meanwhile, expect to live long enough to spoil your grandkids.

Aug 17, 2018 10:45AM IllinoisLady wrote:

We all have choices to make about the quality of our presence and
how we will affect those around us. The quality of our presence is
dependent not on what we can or cannot "do" but on the essence
of who we are and how we relate to others. Becoming the presence
we would like to be is an intentional worksite grows while
we make peace with ourselves and with life.

Sallirae Henderson

Page 1093 of 1,145 (34,350 results)