Join Us

We are 221,192 members in 83 forums discussing 161,890 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: Can we have a forum for "older" people with bc?

Forum: Older Than 60 Years Old With Breast Cancer —

Meet other women who are similar in age and dealing with age-appropriate issues.

Posted on: Feb 7, 2009 03:29PM

Northstar wrote:

I am an "older" woman with breast cancer (I was diagnosed at 65 and am now 66).  I notice that most of the posts seem to be from people younger than I am (often by quite a bit...).   I'd love to "talk" with others my age, exchange info about their diagnoses, effects on their lives, etc.   I see that there is a forum for young women.

Someone suggested that maybe it's that older people aren't so computer-savvy or aren't used to being in online discussion groups.   However, for those who are, it would be great. 

DX 8/15/08, ILC, 5.1 cm, Stage IIb, Grade 1, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-, Oncotype DX 11.

Page 11 of 1,299 (38,966 results)

Posts 301 - 330 (38,966 total)

Feb 28, 2009 11:19PM Deb-from-Ohio wrote:

LOL I say "Merry Christmas!"  Nah, usually just get one gift per kid, it's all I can afford anymore...I kept telling these kids, that Christmas would be a thing of the past if they kept it up...of course being kids they don't listen, it's either that or they haven't found out what causes kids yet... <grin>

Dx 10/23/2008, IDC, 3cm, Stage IIIA, Grade 2, 1/5 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Mar 1, 2009 04:39AM - edited Mar 2, 2009 04:07AM by Peggle

Enjoy life one day at a time

Mar 1, 2009 05:10AM Marple wrote:

Sheesh, my brain isn't firing on all cylinders this morning.  Wrote a post and forgot to send.

Peggle, so sad to hear why you've come back to the boards.  Maybe the results of your scan won't be as bad as you fear.  Praying for you.

Would I know you from a few years ago?  I initially joined in 06 although my avatar says 07.

And if need be, ya, you've still got "lots of snort" left in you.  Try to just get through today......

Gentle hugs. Sharon. 

Dx 2006, IDC, Stage IIB, Grade 2, 1/14 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Mar 1, 2009 05:24AM GramE wrote:

Hugs for all and Happy Sunday morning.  Wish I had someone to make me breakfast, and/or bring me the paper.   The coffee pot is on if anyone wants to stop by for a bit, unless you object to me in my robe and slippers.    

Mar 1, 2009 05:46AM Marple wrote:

LOL just so long as our robe colours don't clash.

Mar 1, 2009 06:02AM kmccraw423 wrote:

Like Carol - no kids and therefore no grandkids; however, my uncle who is my age had two boys and each of them had a girl and a boy.  Because my uncle is my age and we grew up together I feel like he is a brother and his children nephews.  That makes their children my great nieces and nephews not first cousins once removed.  When my uncle's first grandson was born I lived within walking distance and my aunt frequently took care of him while his mother worked.  I decided he would have enough disciplinarians in his life so I would be his playmate.  I actually took that approach to all the children.  You can imagine, they love me!

After my bilateral mastectomy, my extended family came over and prepared a Christmas dinner for me.  Since I had only been out of the hospital 2 days, everything suddenly was a bit overwhelming and I laid down on the sofa and closed my eyes.  The next thing I hear is a soft little voice saying "Kathleen, are you all right."  It was my uncle's first grandchild.  God, I love that kid!

So while I may not have biological grandchildren, I still have grandchildren and the joy associated with them.

Btw SoCalLisa - those are some cute kids!  Aren't children the best!

Kathleen Dx 10/3/2008, DCIS, 4cm, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Mar 1, 2009 06:08AM samedaynurseJan wrote:

oh my gosh *laughing instead of crying today* I love all the grandchildren tallies and all the smiles that go with it, here I thought my 3 little boys were a big number....I always refer to it as Andy (my son) and his traveling circus, cause they can be a handful for us *only children*

It occured to me that I have my first follow up visit with the R. Onc in about ten days.....I will be 3 months post op (you too Paula!) , that should be a harmless one....Im going to hope this incision has closed itself again by then so no needles become appropriate.

Im sending sunshine your way today Jackie !

Happy Sunday everyone......jan

A life lived in fear....is a life half lived. Dx 12/1/2008, IDC, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Mar 1, 2009 06:11AM GramE wrote:

no grands - yet.  My dx was 3 weeks before my only son's wedding, last May.   They tell me they are planning on having children, but I do not bring up the topic.   My dil sister is preggo, due in July.  Does that make me a granny once removed?    

BTW, my dil parents and I call each other "outlaws", since we are not "inlaws".     

Mar 1, 2009 06:56AM Springtime wrote:

I'll be 51 in May. Am I old enough? LOL. Let me know, don't want to crash...

Springtime...

Psalm 91: 14-16 "Because she loves me," says the LORD, "I will rescue her; I will protect her, for she acknowledges my name. She will call upon me, and I will answer her; I will be with her in trouble, I will deliver her and honor her. W long life... Dx 7/10/2008, IDC, Stage II, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Mar 1, 2009 07:07AM klp wrote:

I have 3 kids, 5 grandkids and 2 great grandkids...

Nice to see all the new ladies on our "hen" forum....welcome

Lumpectomy,SNB, 33 rads Oncotype DX 5...no chemo!!!! Started Tamoxifen and stopped almost 3 years later.. Dx 10/10/2008, IDC, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 2, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Mar 1, 2009 07:38AM Mandy1313 wrote:

Not everyone in their 50s, 60s or  70s has grandkids. I have two wonderful kids who are in their 20s.

Dx 6/2008, IDC, 1cm, Grade 1, 1/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Mar 1, 2009 07:40AM Marple wrote:

Hey Springtime, welcome. 

Shoot, I don't have any children.........so no grans.

Mar 1, 2009 07:46AM JO-5 wrote:

Good Morning Ladies!

I'm usually in church this time Sunday morning - but couldn't go today - so I came here and have just finished reading the newest posts since yesterday when I logged out.

We have 3 daughters / 6 grandchildren - 4girls & 2 boys / 9 GREAT GRANDCHILDREN! 4girls and 5 boys - ages 7, 5,4, two 2yr. olds, 3, 1, 5mons and newborn. When we have Christmas there are 30 of us --- and we may rent a hall next year!  I was an only child and my husband is oldest of 4. I can tell you all their names but I have to look at the calendar for the birthdays!  LOL

Deb,

Just wait until all those grands start having kids!   whew!

Peggle,

I will remember you, as well as all the rest, in prayer! Let us know and hang in there...... We can do what we have to do ---- that is why we are as far as we are!

God bless!

JO

IDC 04 Stage 1 Grd 3 no nodes Lumpectomy rads plus boosts ER+PR+HER- AI 5 yr 2014 secondary angiosarcoma from rads lumpectomy recurrence 1 yr Mastectomy with lat flap 1/2 flap went necrotic skin graft to center of chest.

Mar 1, 2009 08:04AM - edited Mar 1, 2009 08:06AM by IllinoisLady

Hmmm, Nancy I'm almost there....my coffee pot just went empty and I need more this a.m.  Thank goodness the sun it out though.  Mandy, my granddaughter is 18.  Can't imagine if my kids were still that age.....I'd feel much younger than I do though I bet.  Big hi to Springtime.  Love the name.  Peg, soothing vibes and gentle hugs coming your way.  Kathleen ( my daughter's name with the nick-name of Kate or Katie ) that is so wonderful about your family and the fact that you ARE a Grandmom.  What lucky grandchildren. 

I'm off and running for the day, but usually check back in several times to see what is happening.

Happy Sunday,

Jackie

Each day I am thankful for nights that turned into mornings, friends that turned into family, dreams that turned into reality and likes that turned into love. ~~~Elizabeth Kuebler-Ross Dx 9/27/2007, IDC, 5cm, Stage II, Grade 3, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2-

Mar 1, 2009 08:17AM - edited Mar 1, 2009 08:18AM by swimangel72

Springtime - you're definitely welcome! I'm 54 - just a bit ahead of you - it's like joining AARP......the first time I joined (4 years ago) I felt like an "imposter".........but now that I have a grand-niece, I realize that I do belong! No grandkids yet for us - I didn't have my first child until I was 31 - she's now 23 and in grad school. Plenty of time for grandkids - but I am enjoying my grandniece through Facebook photos  (they don't live close.) Hopefully we'll get to see her again this summer. We try to have a family reunion every year - I'm one of 8 kids, my mother is still alive (84) so there are a LOT of relatives on my side of the family! Makes for one nice big party when we get together!

My coffee is ready.........ttyl everyone! coffee

3/3/08 Right-side mastectomy with immediate muscle-sparing free tram; 3/9/08 Developed abdominal MRSA staph infection and hernia;Completed 4 months Navelbine and 1 year Herceptin; Arimidex - 3 more years! Diagnosed at age 53 Dx 2/5/2008, IDC, Right, <1cm, Stage IB, Grade 1, 0/7 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+ (FISH)

Mar 1, 2009 08:50AM samedaynurseJan wrote:

Springtime......it would take you forever to read back to all of our posts , we are a *chatty* bunch but if you could you would see that just like *young* is a state of mind , so is *older* now dont anybody yell at me for saying that.....we are all young/old .....new/not so new.....this is just a great place to make more new friends.....who happen to dwell on things like BELLY FAT :)

I too have lots of friends here at home who in their 50's etc are still raising children and dont even have a sort of grandparent state of mind yet......there is common ground for all of us no matter what.......

I think I made a mistake about the sunshine this morning.....its actually snowing a bit !!!!

love to all of you....jan

A life lived in fear....is a life half lived. Dx 12/1/2008, IDC, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Mar 1, 2009 08:57AM Lee18 wrote:

At 64, I guess my main wish is to see my grandchildren grow up -- for as long as I can enjoy them, to outlive my mother who is in her mid nineties and depends on me, and to spend as many happy years with my husband as we can.  This all influenced my decision to get a MX even though I "only" have DCIS.  These goals are no doubt different from many younger women.  I know my husband had similar goals some years ago when he was diagnosed with prostate cancer and opted for surgical removal.  So we are a bit short on sex but alive and happy and pray we will continue that way.

Mar 1, 2009 10:12AM Binney4 wrote:

Prayers, Peggle! Very hard to be awaiting tests again. Very bad feeling in your stomach. Prayers for the courage to look forward.

Warm Arizona sunshine to you and all,
Binney

Mar 1, 2009 10:25AM ritajean wrote:

Hi gals! 

Hey Jan, I still have meltdowns every so often and they come at the strangest times.  I think it comes with the territory and the journey we've been traveling. At first it bothered me but now I just accept them and move on.  After all, I've cried at weddings and graduations for years now so I guess an occasional meltdown isn't too out of the ordinary.  :-)  Also wanted to tell you that I only have one son, too, and will soon have that third grandson. 

Northstar..Often our special needs children give us a completely different outlook on life...and one that nobody should miss.

Binney, I'm jealous!  You not only have 11 wonderful grandchildren but it's warm where you live!  I don't know where you're at, but it sure sounds good to me.  Are you up for visitors?   LOL

So far it looks like Deb is leading the list with 17 grandchildren.  YEA!  Can anyone top that?

SoCal Lisa...so good to see you here, too.  Another lovely picture that you posted......and I do believe that this one is the greatest yet!  :-)

Springtime, you are welcome here. 

Speaking of chemo brain...somebody was talking about an 11-year old who couldn't remember to turn in his homework.  (I really think I need to take notes before I start typing because if I look back, my post will magically disappear.)  I taught JH for 33 years.  Sometimes a simple two-pocket folder did the trick.  When the homework is assigned, the student puts it on the right side of the folder.  When the homework is finished, it's transferred to the left side and he or she carries this folder with them all during the school day and home at night.  When homework is collected, they just have to reach into the left pocket and get it out.  The two-pocket system works better than the fancy multi-pocketed binders because there are less places to misplace things.

I hope everyone enjoys this lovely Sunday.  I have lots of things to accomplish this afternoon and we bowl in a league this evening.

Hugs to all of you in treatments right now and to those of you recovering from surgeries.  They'll be behind you shortly!

Rita

Dx 11/21/2006, IDC, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 3, 0/4 nodes, ER-/PR+, HER2-

Mar 1, 2009 10:25AM IllinoisLady wrote:

Lee, I like your no-nonsense priorities and those of your hubby as well.  You may have "only" had DCIS but that is cancer none-the-less.  You sound like you both have yours heads and your hearts working together.  Good for you. 

Jackie

Each day I am thankful for nights that turned into mornings, friends that turned into family, dreams that turned into reality and likes that turned into love. ~~~Elizabeth Kuebler-Ross Dx 9/27/2007, IDC, 5cm, Stage II, Grade 3, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2-

Mar 1, 2009 10:27AM ritajean wrote:

Ah Binney...we were posting at the same time.  Now I know you're in AZ.  Send that warmth East please.  We hope to be traveling through your state in late May.

Rita

Mar 1, 2009 11:11AM mzmiller99 wrote:

I must have missed the grands tally!!!  You see my yoonger babe as he's my avitar - the older is in Tampa and just turned 5!!  I have four grown kids, and as some of you might remember from last summer, my first daughter who I had to give up at birth 43 years ago, just found me last summer!!! 

I can't tell you the joy, the pure joy, of her first email..."I'm Suzanne.  I believe I'm your daughter."  We haven't met face to face, but we keep in touch on line. 

It was a life shaking summer.  First, the cancer, then Suzanne, and then, my Tampa son, who has had addiction problems all of his life, decides to get clean!!  And, since opium has been his crutch for many years, it has been an awful ride for him, but even with no medical coverage, he has kept at it.

But, for some reason, the damned bc seemed to bring such good things with it.

And, you know, ladies, I feel very comfortable sharing with you.  I never, ever would have told anyone about my daughter, ever.  And, how strange, it was a closed adoption, of course, back in the 60's, but she ends up with a  name that's very similar to mine!!  Her parents never knew my name, and yet...

Susan

Susan IMRT 09/08, Oncotype DX 15, Aromasin 03/09 Dx 6/16/2008, IDC, <1cm, Stage I, Grade 3, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Mar 1, 2009 11:27AM Sierra wrote:

Howdy Northstar:

Well then, I also love Mass.. was in Salem some years

ago at a very very ... old church

and had a reading as well

also was in  Plymouth, I belive

hope we get the forum going here

Have a great day all

Swimangel:  re the net.. kids

we recently had a teen here

whose parents took him off the net

or forbade him to use it

he went out in the cold and was found

dead several days later.. I believe he fell out of a tree

but you can imagine.. His parents were so concerned

when he was on the net.. a certain program he used

Take care all, those on treatments

and having medical work done :))

Sierra

The Time is Now! Dx 1/2000, 3cm, Stage IIB, Grade 3, 1/14 nodes, ER-/PR-

Mar 1, 2009 12:12PM Marple wrote:

Hi Sierra, do you live in Ontario?

Mar 1, 2009 12:27PM - edited Mar 1, 2009 12:30PM by bluewillow

This is my grandson Mason at his first birthday party this past January!  My daughter made his cakes, all in John Deere green, and this one had a small tractor on top.  He was more fascinated with the tractor than the cake!  Not like his granny! Wink  I'd have eaten the icing off the tractor, then the cake!

Mason is my only "human grandchild",  He belongs to my daughter and SIL, and they also have two mini dachshunds, who I count as grandchildren too.  My son and DIL have one dog and three cats, also my grandkids.  I guess I sound nuts, but I just love them all!!!!!!!

I love hearing of everyone's grandchildren, and SoCalLisa, yours are so beautiful!!  I hope to see more of your granny stories and pics here!

Nana of Mason, Hayden, and Addison~Lumpectomy, Re-excision, SNB, AC/Taxol, Radiation, 1 yr Herceptin Dx 7/26/2007, IDC, <1cm, Stage I, Grade 3, 0/4 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2+

Mar 1, 2009 01:04PM - edited Mar 1, 2009 01:05PM by ritajean

Blue Willow....Mason is adorable!  Thanks for sharing the picture.  I also think that your haircut is quite attractive!  I can't see where there is any need for improvement!  You're one sharp lady!  I'll try to get organized this week and post a pic of my two little guys!

Susan...what a lovely story about your first daughter.  That had to be an emotional "find" for both of you!  It's so neat that you keep in touch.

Gotta get moving.........

Rita

Mar 1, 2009 01:12PM Mandy1313 wrote:

Nice to see all of the beautiful photos and to hear the beautiful stories too.

Susan, your story about your daughter Suzanne brought tears to my eyes. What an emotional experience hearing from her must have been.   And hopefully your Tampa son will succeed in his attempt to kick his bad habit. Thank you for sharing that with us.  

Anyway it is hubby's birthday today and I need to bake a cake or something like that!

Dx 6/2008, IDC, 1cm, Grade 1, 1/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Mar 1, 2009 01:20PM SoCalLisa wrote:

The other day I was playing tennis with a gal who is exactly my age

she was telling me her granddaughter was getting married...I 

told her my granddaughter is in diapers....lol

BTW she is a great grandmother...

She started EARLY...

Biography: DX 11/2000 LCIS,DCIS,IDC 2B, Grade 1, ER+,PR+ Her2Neg 1 pos node Lumptectomy, CMF chemo X 6 mos, DX 8/2001, IDC same breast--Mastectomy , Left Breast Lumpectomy... Tamoxifen, one year...Armidex, Four years

Mar 1, 2009 02:09PM Deb-from-Ohio wrote:

Ok heres a pic of the gang.............all 17 of them.

Photobucket
Dx 10/23/2008, IDC, 3cm, Stage IIIA, Grade 2, 1/5 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Mar 1, 2009 02:16PM JO-5 wrote:

Beautiful Deb!

Some look like twins - but if I remember you said wham wham wham - one every year!  LOL What a sweet bunch!

JO

IDC 04 Stage 1 Grd 3 no nodes Lumpectomy rads plus boosts ER+PR+HER- AI 5 yr 2014 secondary angiosarcoma from rads lumpectomy recurrence 1 yr Mastectomy with lat flap 1/2 flap went necrotic skin graft to center of chest.

Page 11 of 1,299 (38,966 results)