We are 220,472 members in 81 forums discussing 155,785 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: Can we have a forum for "older" people with bc?

Forum: Older Than 60 Years Old With Breast Cancer —

Meet other women who are similar in age and dealing with age-appropriate issues.

Posted on: Feb 7, 2009 05:29PM

Northstar wrote:

I am an "older" woman with breast cancer (I was diagnosed at 65 and am now 66).  I notice that most of the posts seem to be from people younger than I am (often by quite a bit...).   I'd love to "talk" with others my age, exchange info about their diagnoses, effects on their lives, etc.   I see that there is a forum for young women.

Someone suggested that maybe it's that older people aren't so computer-savvy or aren't used to being in online discussion groups.   However, for those who are, it would be great. 

DX 8/15/08, ILC, 5.1 cm, Stage IIb, Grade 1, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-, Oncotype DX 11.

Page 1132 of 1,152 (34,533 results)

Posts 33931 - 33960 (34,533 total)

Mar 20, 2019 04:13AM keywestfan wrote:

ChiSandy. Welcome back from NOLA.

So, day when the pathology report from lumpectomy came back. 1.9cm, stage 1, grade 2, Er+, Pr+,HER2-.All still the same from biopsy,except for one item which has me crazy “Lymph.Vascular invasion. Suspicious.” What do I do about suspicious? See MO for first time Thursday. Afraid and think he will say radiation, but at 85 in a few weeks, do not want to do that. Hoping for just the horrible, but good, Arimidex..Thought age was a benefit here with lumpectomy,no rad, no chemo,just arimidex for 5 years, but don’t know now.Am old, but in very good condition otherwise.And afraid of radiation

Anastrozole June 2019 Dx 2/14/2019, IDC, Right, 2cm, Stage IIA, Grade 2, ER+/PR+, HER2- (IHC) Surgery 3/24/2019 Lumpectomy: Right Radiation Therapy 4/30/2019 Hormonal Therapy

Mar 20, 2019 06:25AM karen1956 wrote:

Nanette - I had a bilateral based on recommendation from 2 breast surgeons. For me, it was the correct decision as my prophy left side came back pre-cancerous. Lumpectomy was never an option for BC right side. As much as I miss my old saggy middle age boobs, the bilat was the best decision as I wouldn't have wanted to go down the BC Tx road twice. Once was hard enough. BS and PS did the mastectomy and insert expanders (mine had saline and I had fills every 3 weeks - 3 total). PS surgeon did the exchange a year later and I have silicone implants. Medical oncologist for chemo (and he still follows me closely 13 years later) and radiation oncologist for radiation who followed me for 6 weeks post radiation and now medical oncologist sends her updates after every visit.

Scared - sounds normal to me - crying is great too. Wishing you and easy surgery and recovery on April 2.

Karen in Denver, Dx 02/03/2006, ILC, stage IIIa, ER/PR+, HER2-,

Mar 20, 2019 06:32AM HikingLady wrote:

keywestfan Thanks for the update. I'm glad you're through that surgery, and sorry you have more worries. Your MO will contextualize risk and explain everything on the path. report and the importance of whatever "suspicious" means in the big picture. Keep us posted.

Dx 3/2003, IDC, Right, <1cm, Stage IA, 0/2 nodes, ER+, HER2- Surgery 4/9/2003 Lumpectomy Radiation Therapy 6/10/2003 3DCRT: Breast Hormonal Therapy 8/8/2003 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Dx 4/25/2018, IDC, Right, <1cm, Stage IIA, Grade 3, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2- Surgery 5/22/2018 Lymph node removal: Right, Sentinel; Mastectomy: Left, Right; Prophylactic mastectomy: Left; Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Chemotherapy 6/25/2018 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel) Hormonal Therapy 11/7/2018 Arimidex (anastrozole) Surgery 1/2/2019 Reconstruction (left): Silicone implant; Reconstruction (right): Silicone implant

Mar 20, 2019 08:38AM - edited Mar 23, 2019 11:00AM by jo6359

This Post was deleted by jo6359.
Dx 1/29/2018, DCIS, Right, Stage 0 Dx 1/29/2018, IDC, Right, 2cm, Stage IIB, Grade 2, 1/18 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2+ (FISH) Targeted Therapy 2/16/2018 Perjeta (pertuzumab) Targeted Therapy 2/16/2018 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Chemotherapy 2/16/2018 Carboplatin (Paraplatin), Taxotere (docetaxel)

Mar 20, 2019 09:41AM nanette7fl wrote:

My story in a nutshell....I have prepared for this BMX, it wasn't an easy decision. When my journey started out I had 1 IDC lump and a lumpectomy was planned...but 3 weeks later it 1 became 4 more, only 1 of those was benign and they were all in different areas in my breast. My breast had just recovered from 1st biopsy and then I had more biopsies for the new tumors. This time things didn't go do easily. I suddenly became allergic to the glue on the steri-strips. My MO didn't know what was wrong with my breast as it was red and angry so he sent me immediately over to see my BS. As soon as she saw it she said "you've got blisters here" as the strips were off. I've had small areas on and off in the past but not blisters. She asked of I was allergic to tape and I told her not that I was aware of...well I am now. While I was there we all talked about surgery.. a lumpectomy was no longer possible and would leave me horribly disfigured so a Uni was tossed into the mix. OMG!! Over the next few weeks pre-chemo she & I & my MO had many talks. I told them that my left has been through so much..the 2nd set of biopsies were so much more painful in recovery than the 1st single one. I wasn't sure I could do that again.... I have a LOT of scar tissue in there now and horrible scars from my tape blisters....so the option to have a BMX came up..not just for that reason but many reasons. I couldn't decide then so they gave me the option of starting chemo and taking my time. So over the course of those 12 weekly taxol & Herceptin treatments I did think and prayed. I was on the fence about a BMX and meeting my PS helped out a lot. He talked to me about my options and then explained even with all the advances he would never be able to match up healthy breast with a reconstructed breast due to aging. But he didn't make me decide then... he sent me home to think and pray. Saw BS again and she told me how she could help get rid of the major scars in the surgery and we talked about meeting with the PS. She listened and never gave her opinion and then she too sent me home to think and pray. Well I did just that and within the week I called the PS office and told them to get ahold of BS and set up the BMX. My family agrees with my reasons why I'm doing this and I have peace about it. Yes I'm scared and worried but I think it's normal to be so. I have confidence in my team and they are the best in my area and very experienced. I was offered rads when it was once a simple lumpectomy but I guess God had other plans or maybe He was sparing me from it...

~Nanette Dx 10/23/2018, IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 3, ER+/PR+, HER2+ (FISH) Chemotherapy 12/4/2018 Taxol (paclitaxel) Targeted Therapy 12/4/2018 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Targeted Therapy 2/28/2019 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Surgery 4/1/2019 Mastectomy: Left; Prophylactic mastectomy: Right; Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Radiation Therapy 6/29/2019 Whole-breast: Breast, Lymph nodes, Chest wall

Mar 20, 2019 09:49AM IllinoisLady wrote:

Sing like no one's listening,
love like you've never been hurt,
dance like nobody's watching,
and live like its heaven on earth.
- Mark Twain

Each day I am thankful for nights that turned into mornings, friends that turned into family, dreams that turned into reality and likes that turned into love. ~~~Elizabeth Kuebler-Ross Dx 9/27/2007, IDC, 5cm, Stage II, Grade 3, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2-

Mar 20, 2019 09:54AM IllinoisLady wrote:

Learning to roll with the punches is about all anyone can do. Sometimes I just use my old stand-by --- it is amazing what you can do when you have no choice. All of us here were not given a choice about getting cancer. But, with patience and help from our medical teams and knowledge we can do what we have to do. It is all anyone can do.

Then hopefully you are on the way to living a long healthy time.

Each day I am thankful for nights that turned into mornings, friends that turned into family, dreams that turned into reality and likes that turned into love. ~~~Elizabeth Kuebler-Ross Dx 9/27/2007, IDC, 5cm, Stage II, Grade 3, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2-

Mar 20, 2019 10:26AM MCBaker wrote:

Thank you, Nanette, for your explanation. Multiple different tumors in one breast does make one nervous about the other. Sorry for being critical about your decision.

Mary Dx 10/3/2018, DCIS, Right, 6cm+, Stage 0, Grade 3, ER-/PR- Surgery 11/15/2018 Lymph node removal: Sentinel; Mastectomy: Right; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Dx 11/16/2018, IDC, Right, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 1, 0/5 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2+ (IHC) Targeted Therapy 12/18/2018 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Chemotherapy 12/19/2018 Taxol (paclitaxel) Surgery 6/27/2019 Reconstruction (right): Fat grafting, Saline implant

Mar 20, 2019 10:50AM HikingLady wrote:

nanette7fl What a journey you've been on! Thanks for sharing that difficult bunch of issues and decisions you've been facing. I'm glad that you've had good guidance from the docs, and glad that you had time to process everything and make the decisions. You have a good treatment plan, and you'll get through it all, one thing and one day at a time. I send you warm wishes for comfort and good healing going forward.

My skin is VERY reactive to all surgical tapes, and I have to have an application of "skin-prep protective barrier wipe" ointment before any tape. My husband is an RN, and he put himself in charge of all my surgery wound-recovery care, and this magic potion was very helpful.

Dx 3/2003, IDC, Right, <1cm, Stage IA, 0/2 nodes, ER+, HER2- Surgery 4/9/2003 Lumpectomy Radiation Therapy 6/10/2003 3DCRT: Breast Hormonal Therapy 8/8/2003 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Dx 4/25/2018, IDC, Right, <1cm, Stage IIA, Grade 3, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2- Surgery 5/22/2018 Lymph node removal: Right, Sentinel; Mastectomy: Left, Right; Prophylactic mastectomy: Left; Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Chemotherapy 6/25/2018 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel) Hormonal Therapy 11/7/2018 Arimidex (anastrozole) Surgery 1/2/2019 Reconstruction (left): Silicone implant; Reconstruction (right): Silicone implant

Mar 20, 2019 11:42AM - edited Mar 20, 2019 11:42AM by Puffin2014

First day of spring and Fargo mayor has declared a state of emergency because of upcoming predicted flooding, volunteers are being recruited to make a million sandbags.

Here's my yard on this first day of spring.

Dx 5/23/2014, IDC, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 6/16/2014 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Left, Sentinel Chemotherapy 7/17/2014 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel) Radiation Therapy 10/13/2014 Breast Hormonal Therapy 11/10/2014 Arimidex (anastrozole)

Mar 20, 2019 12:37PM IllinoisLady wrote:

Puffin, two words. How incredible !! and sigh !!!

Mar 20, 2019 01:32PM Wren44 wrote:

Puffin, I hope you won't be affected by flooding. I've always dreaded flooding the most of disasters. I grew up in tornado alley and at least they're quick and your house is either gone or it isn't. Now that I live in earthquake country, I have to worry about those. I remember standing in my living room and watching the wall go up and down like a ship. It's weird to think something can't happen while watching it happen.

Lumpectomy and re-excision followed by mastectomy of right breast. Five years of anastrasole completed.

Mar 20, 2019 01:58PM pingpong1953 wrote:

I feel your snow pain. I hope your mayor is being extra cautious and the flooding will be well controlled. Water is lovely but so destructive!

Dx 4/12/2017, DCIS/IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IIA, Grade 3, 1/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 5/2/2017 Lumpectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Chemotherapy 7/4/2017 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Ellence (epirubicin), Fluorouracil (5-fluorouracil, 5-FU, Adrucil), Taxotere (docetaxel) Hormonal Therapy 12/7/2017 Femara (letrozole) Surgery 2/26/2018 Lymph node removal: Underarm/Axillary; Mastectomy: Right

Mar 20, 2019 02:56PM - edited Mar 23, 2019 11:00AM by jo6359

Dx 1/29/2018, DCIS, Right, Stage 0 Dx 1/29/2018, IDC, Right, 2cm, Stage IIB, Grade 2, 1/18 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2+ (FISH) Targeted Therapy 2/16/2018 Perjeta (pertuzumab) Targeted Therapy 2/16/2018 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Chemotherapy 2/16/2018 Carboplatin (Paraplatin), Taxotere (docetaxel)

Mar 20, 2019 04:06PM ChiSandy wrote:

Nanette, thanks for clarifying. Puffin, Mother Nature has a sick sense of humor, doesn't she?

Keywestfan, what "suspicious for lymphovascular invasion" means is that there are signs that the tumor may (emphasis on "may") have developed its own blood & lymph vessels. But the whole thing's out now, so it's likely moot. If you are recommended to get radiation, the stage, grade, hisological type (Luminal A) of the tumor and your age qualify you for accelerated (16 stronger zaps rather than 33 regular) partial-breast radiation targeted to just the "tumor bed." ("3DCRT APBRI"). Side effects are less likely and if you nonetheless get them, milder. My RO at Kellogg/Evanston was Dr. Shah, who is compassionate, gentle and one of the docs who participated in the clinical trial of that protocol for women >65. (I was almost 65 at the time, so he said I qualified). For women who qualify, overall survival is exactly the same as full-length whole-breast radiation.

Diagnosed at 64 on routine annual mammo, no lump. OncotypeDX 16. I cried because I had no shoes...but then again, I won’t get blisters.... Dx 9/9/2015, IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (IHC) Surgery 9/23/2015 Lumpectomy: Right Radiation Therapy 11/2/2015 3DCRT: Breast Hormonal Therapy 12/31/2015 Femara (letrozole)

Mar 20, 2019 04:51PM keywestfan wrote:

ChiSandy, you are my role model, teacher for how to go through this. Thank you again. Have heard Dr. DM adheres to no rad for women over 70, so we will see tomorrow, but the LVI if there might be decisive. A friend,MO at Beth Israel Boston and prof at Harvard, says radiation and 3mm margins if not radiation. Mine were clean, but closer. So either radiation or rexcision, If Dr. DM disagrees, I’ll have to do as he says. You’ve educated me about radiation and, Dr. Shah. I must admit radiation terrifies me and all the decisions and unknowns. I look like a very calm person, but tremble mightily on the inside. You are leaving again soon, right?

Anastrozole June 2019 Dx 2/14/2019, IDC, Right, 2cm, Stage IIA, Grade 2, ER+/PR+, HER2- (IHC) Surgery 3/24/2019 Lumpectomy: Right Radiation Therapy 4/30/2019 Hormonal Therapy

Mar 20, 2019 08:56PM nanette7fl wrote:

McBaker... Mary I wasn't upset with you.... I admire you for all you've been through.

Keywest so glad things look good. How are you doing/feeling?? Other than nervous...

Puffin OMG that is a lot of snow. When people ask me why I moved to Florida 24 years ago that snow bank was in my driveway during the 96-97 blizzards in Poughkeepsie NY I grew up there went back there after my divorce (with my kids) but somehow being snowed in the house for 10 days was definitely enough!! The kids and I decided we were done with snow!!

~Nanette Dx 10/23/2018, IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 3, ER+/PR+, HER2+ (FISH) Chemotherapy 12/4/2018 Taxol (paclitaxel) Targeted Therapy 12/4/2018 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Targeted Therapy 2/28/2019 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Surgery 4/1/2019 Mastectomy: Left; Prophylactic mastectomy: Right; Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Radiation Therapy 6/29/2019 Whole-breast: Breast, Lymph nodes, Chest wall

Mar 20, 2019 09:03PM keywestfan wrote:

Nanette7fl- There is nothing other than nervous and wonder if MO who I meet with for first time tomorrow will agree I should have radiation which would probably make me feel safer but truly scares me.

Mar 21, 2019 12:30AM - edited Mar 23, 2019 11:01AM by jo6359

Mar 21, 2019 10:13AM IllinoisLady wrote:

Virtue is not to be considered in the light of mere innocence, or abstaining from harm; but as the exertion of our faculties in doing good.

Joseph Butler

Mar 21, 2019 02:17PM Stitch wrote:

So I'm a 60 year old newbie with triple negative stage 0 DCIS.  So far, anyway.  I've done the MRI yesterday, and am awaiting DNA results to see where we go from here.  Next Dr apt is 3 weeks out, awaiting DNA.  I'm adopted, so we need to see if I have the gene.  Sounded to me like the Dr will push for lumpectomy, if I'm gene negative and the MRI shows nothing more.  That's fine with me if it's the case.  Just wanting to touch base, as with the triple neg results, I am terrified of both radiation and chemo.  I also have type II diabetes - under control with diet, metformin, and glimeripride - (generic of Amaryl).  It sure is scary!!  

My screen name is Stitch, because I love to sew both clothing and small quilt projects - and machine embroidery as well.  I'm hoping to be able to sew a few things the next few weekends before I'm too tired to think of it.  But my favorite with sewing is sewing tops.  I hope I don't have to give that up.   Does anyone here have similar interests?  

Dx 3/2019, DCIS, Left, Stage 0, Grade 3, ER-/PR- Surgery 4/25/2019 Lumpectomy: Left

Mar 21, 2019 03:27PM HikingLady wrote:

Hi Stitch ---I sew, too!

DCIS and non-invasive and Stage 0 means you can stay calm and form a plan without feeling rushed. Sounds as though your doctors are carefully covering all bases.

I have a friend who had DCIS and had just a lumpectomy as her treatment, and another friend who had radiation after a lumpectomy with DCIS. The various treatment protocols probably depend on path. report details and other risk factors.

This forum is full of support and hope, with many people who've gone through what you're facing, and can give you context and help you through the scare of it all. When I had the genetic testing done last year, I was told that only 10% of all breast cancers do have a (known) genetic connection. Keep us posted as you learn more.

Mar 21, 2019 06:23PM Wren44 wrote:

Hi Stitch and welcome. It sounds like you're in good hands and they're being careful. I used to sew a lot but my neck doesn't let me do much any more. I need a new wonder wallet and i keep putting it off. The following thread is for sewers, and there's also a thread for artists which has some quilt photos. Sorry I was unable to make the post live.

https://community.breastcancer.org/forum/84/topics/763353?page=129#idx_3864

Lumpectomy and re-excision followed by mastectomy of right breast. Five years of anastrasole completed.

Mar 21, 2019 07:12PM MCBaker wrote:

BC is highly unlikely to interfere with a person's ability to sew. I sewed eight headcovers for myself, and knitted four. I also made three triangular scarves that I can use whenever. I am putting the binding on a quilt for the club I belong to, and am in the process of piecing another quilt-top.

I need to use some more of the material I bought for headcovers to make some more for the cancer center. I am using McCall's 4116, it is discontinued, but you might be able to find it other places.

BC, like most everything else, generates plenty of opportunities for sewing.

You probably don't have to worry about it, but the best way of overcoming neuropathy is by physical activity-- like sewing and typing.

Mary Dx 10/3/2018, DCIS, Right, 6cm+, Stage 0, Grade 3, ER-/PR- Surgery 11/15/2018 Lymph node removal: Sentinel; Mastectomy: Right; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Dx 11/16/2018, IDC, Right, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 1, 0/5 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2+ (IHC) Targeted Therapy 12/18/2018 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Chemotherapy 12/19/2018 Taxol (paclitaxel) Surgery 6/27/2019 Reconstruction (right): Fat grafting, Saline implant

Mar 21, 2019 07:27PM IllinoisLady wrote:

Welcome stitch and glad you found us. So far you seem to have good control. I think everyone normally has some up and down times with this diagnosis. Still, if fortunate it can go fairly well and so far you sound as if things were caught early, so here's to great reports for you. Hope you will come often.

Mar 21, 2019 08:09PM - edited Mar 21, 2019 09:05PM by keywestfan

HikingLady, ChiSandy,Nanette7fl,Jo6359 my postop Lumpectomy was one week ago. All was fine and PA Jada explained all in path report, although all I was puzzled about was importance of L VI-Suspicious. She said BS and MO would talk its significance over in case conference on Monday.. Then met with MO for first time. Really liked him. He, to my surprise(and delight) saiid no radiation at my age, would not increase overall survival, why do it.He's very into statistics. Did say when he and BS and other oncologists, including ROs discuss this on Monday a reexcision may be recommended because of close, but clean, margins.. This would be because of LVI. Just hope they don't change his mind about radiation, though I admit, I probably would feel safer with it, but he thinks I'm safe enough with Arimidex which he said I could start every other day for a month. Talked about SE's, switching pills if necessary and the inescapable thinning of hair. Will see him in June again..Feel relief, much less anxious, hope he's right about radiation and doesn't change mind on Monday

Mar 21, 2019 08:16PM nanette7fl wrote:

Keywest that is all great news!!! So glad it went well even if the margins were close still had clear and clean margins!! Woowhoo!!

Mar 21, 2019 08:21PM nanette7fl wrote:

Wren thanks for the link. (I saved it) There is so much in this forum board I would never have found it lol

Mcbaker....Mary where did you find that pattern?? I have a huge supply of fabric..thanks to a neighbor unexpectedlyly dying a few years ago. That pattern is exactly what I've been looking for. I recieved several pre-tied hats from friends but the tails are too short to do anything but a bow tie in the back over that covered elastic 8( I was trying to find a pattern where I could make long tails and 'fake' a scarf on really busy days!

Mar 21, 2019 08:27PM nanette7fl wrote:

I got a text from a very old friend. Apparently she'll be down my way in May and wants to take me out to celebrate (surgery). I had to laugh...even though she and I are only a few yrs apart..she's the elder...she really is clueless about having a mastectomy let alone a BMX. I texted back and told her we might want to put off the celebrating off until at least mid-summer that way I have a chance to heal up some and feel better. "Why?" was her reply...omg the real world just has no clue do they sigh

Mar 21, 2019 09:59PM HikingLady wrote:

keywestfan Thanks so much for sharing this update. We're all on your team, and it's good to hear that your MO is a good communicator, and that you're getting so much good information. For me, knowing all the facts helps me settle down a bit!

The worst I can say about the AI for me is some additional joint stiffness. It made me sleepy for one week and then that went away. No hair thinning.

nanette7fl So true. People who haven't had a BMX + TE cannot possibly know how huge it is. I was able to go out and do things and socialize by 4 weeks after surgery. First 2-3 weeks, no. At 4 weeks or so, I was comfortable and had energy and could do something like go out for a meal if I planned my exertion for the day. Could plan an outing each day by then, just not a huge day full of activity yet. Still had to rest a bit and didn't have back-to-normal energy until 6-8 weeks. I did walk every day, even starting Day 2 when I got home, just very short distances, and then I worked up to a bit more each day as I gained strength. By week 3 I was walking 2-3 miles. Slowly. Rested a lot the first 3-4 weeks, for sure. Naps for the first week or two.

Page 1132 of 1,152 (34,533 results)