We are 222,922 members in 82 forums discussing 156,988 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: Can we have a forum for "older" people with bc?

Forum: Older Than 60 Years Old With Breast Cancer —

Meet other women who are similar in age and dealing with age-appropriate issues.

Posted on: Feb 7, 2009 06:29PM

Northstar wrote:

I am an "older" woman with breast cancer (I was diagnosed at 65 and am now 66).  I notice that most of the posts seem to be from people younger than I am (often by quite a bit...).   I'd love to "talk" with others my age, exchange info about their diagnoses, effects on their lives, etc.   I see that there is a forum for young women.

Someone suggested that maybe it's that older people aren't so computer-savvy or aren't used to being in online discussion groups.   However, for those who are, it would be great. 

DX 8/15/08, ILC, 5.1 cm, Stage IIb, Grade 1, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-, Oncotype DX 11.

Page 1162 of 1,164 (34,897 results)

Posts 34831 - 34860 (34,897 total)

Sep 6, 2019 09:19AM Beaverntx wrote:

Popping in for Jackie and hoping all is going better than expected!

Diagnosed at age 77-- Oncotype 17, dealing with this bump in the road of life!!🎆 Dx 1/24/2018, IDC, Right, 2cm, Stage IB, Grade 3, 0/9 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (IHC) Dx 1/30/2018, DCIS, Right, <1cm, Stage 0 Surgery 1/30/2018 Lumpectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Right, Sentinel Radiation Therapy 3/11/2018 Whole-breast: Breast Surgery 6/15/2018 Prophylactic ovary removal Hormonal Therapy 6/19/2018 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone)

Sep 6, 2019 01:07PM Wren44 wrote:

We're all still here Jackie. Sending healing vibes for your arm.

Lumpectomy and re-excision followed by mastectomy of right breast. Five years of anastrasole completed.

Sep 6, 2019 09:47PM Julesm59 wrote:

Hey Jackie, get better soon. I even came out of lurkerdoom to hope your feeling better.

Julie

Dx 10/12/2018, DCIS/IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (IHC) Surgery 10/21/2018 Lumpectomy: Right Hormonal Therapy 11/18/2018 Aromasin (exemestane) Radiation Therapy 11/25/2018 Whole-breast: Breast

Sep 7, 2019 01:44AM IllinoisLady wrote:

Awe enables us to see in the world intimations of the divine, to sense in small things the beginning of infinite significance, to sense the ultimate in the common and the simple, to feel in the rush of the passing the stillness of the eternal. -Abraham Joshua Heschel

Each day I am thankful for nights that turned into mornings, friends that turned into family, dreams that turned into reality and likes that turned into love. ~~~Elizabeth Kuebler-Ross Dx 9/27/2007, IDC, 5cm, Stage II, Grade 3, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2-

Sep 7, 2019 02:18AM IllinoisLady wrote:

much love to all. your bountiful good wishes for heath and recovery so appreciated. spent last several days in the v.a. hosp. they kept good care of me while looking for consults from trauma surgeons. saw three and am working with the final one. his opinion was that since ball joint area moved forward during the fall, rather than backward I am actually a good candidate for allowing the breaks to heal on their own. also safer health-wise with age/blood thinners, etc.

he said, after studying 3 sets of x-rays from v.a. and three other ortho institute consults that if current healing continued well it would heal w/o deformity and rehab would give me back a lot to work with in plenty of movement.

I see him again in about two wks. and final decisions then. i'm hoping for letting it go w/o being cut on. some strong meds early on, but only Tylenol the last few days of hospital stay and none of that since I got home. dull pain, but only jolts while riding in the car get me, but it returns fairly quickly to the dull pain so livable to me. slow working around the house carefully, and need dh for running can opener and like assorted for meals.

happy to be home. amazing what a place can look like with an 80 yr. old man home alone for a week.Singing

Each day I am thankful for nights that turned into mornings, friends that turned into family, dreams that turned into reality and likes that turned into love. ~~~Elizabeth Kuebler-Ross Dx 9/27/2007, IDC, 5cm, Stage II, Grade 3, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2-

Sep 7, 2019 10:15AM carolehalston wrote:

Good news that you can heal without surgery, Jackie. I also have an 80 year old dh, so I can well imagine what your house looks like!

Today is gray outside and the forecast is for a high in the 60's. I changed my plan to go to the gym this morning. One of the golf ladies at Headwaters Golf Club is a talented jewelry maker. She's having a come and go party at her house to offer her jewelry for sale and I am going with the intention of buying a pair of earrings if I find a pair I like.

Afterwards I will do some tidying/cleaning in preparation for the arrival of the owners of this resort tomorrow.

Happy Saturday to all.

Nipple-Sparing BMX w/Alloderm & Silicone Implants 7/24/09, Oncotype Dx 9, No Chemo, No Rads, Arimidex Dx 6/25/2009, IDC, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 3, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Sep 8, 2019 03:34AM ChiSandy wrote:

Glad to hear you won't be setting off airport metal detectors any time soon, Jackie! So are you in a cast, brace or sling?

Got a clean bill of health from my MO on Thurs., though I was disappointed my fasting glucose hasn't improved despite ditching the starch & sugar and losing 31 lbs. Had my final Prolia shot, too. But when I told her about the nocturnal charley horses in only my R leg & foot, and showed her my swollen R ankle (which happened after that 12-hr flight from Tel Aviv-JFK and long slog through three airports)--and told her about my friend (barely 60) who had leg edema, kept blowing off the venous Dopplers Bob had ordered her, and then dropped dead Mon. morning of a pulmonary embolism, she ordered me a bilateral venous Doppler for this Monday. We also agreed I should wait to see how much more weight I can lose and how it settles out for a while before going for a contralateral breast reduction.

BTW, tomorrow at 9pm EDT on WTBQ's "Hootenanny Cafe," DJ Jon Stein will be spinning (well, you don't exactly "spin" an .mp3) my song "Devil Wind" as recorded by my singing partner & me, Andina & Rich. The station is in the Catskills, in Warwick, NY, but it does stream at wtbq.com.

Diagnosed at 64 on routine annual mammo, no lump. OncotypeDX 16. I cried because I had no shoes...but then again, I won’t get blisters.... Dx 9/9/2015, IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (IHC) Surgery 9/22/2015 Lumpectomy: Right Radiation Therapy 11/1/2015 3DCRT: Breast Hormonal Therapy 12/30/2015 Femara (letrozole)

Sep 8, 2019 12:59PM IllinoisLady wrote:

The moment one definitely commits oneself, the Providence moves, too. All sorts of things occur to help one that would never have otherwise occurred. A whole stream of events issue from the commitment, raising in one's favor all manner of unforeseen incidents and meetings and material assistance which no one could have dreamt would come one's way. Whatever you can do, or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it. Begin it now. -Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Sep 8, 2019 01:06PM IllinoisLady wrote:

in a sling for now with stretchy type ace bandage going all the way around me when I need a bit of extra stability. go on sept. 17 for re-check of healing progress and hoping at that time we can continue on just as we are doing.

Sep 8, 2019 07:30PM pingpong1953 wrote:

I had the ace bandage/sling combo a couple of years ago when I broke my right arm (yes, I'm right handed) and I remember what a hassle it was. Luckily, I live with my sister and she "wound me up" in the bandage and helped me keep my arm in the right position. Imagine how inconvenient it would be to have to have surgery for this?

Dx 4/12/2017, DCIS/IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IIA, Grade 3, 1/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 5/2/2017 Lumpectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Chemotherapy 7/5/2017 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Ellence (epirubicin), Fluorouracil (5-fluorouracil, 5-FU, Adrucil), Taxotere (docetaxel) Hormonal Therapy 12/8/2017 Femara (letrozole) Surgery 2/27/2018 Lymph node removal: Underarm/Axillary; Mastectomy: Right

Sep 9, 2019 06:07AM IllinoisLady wrote:

Looking for and enjoying beauty is another way to nourish the soul. The universe is in the habit of making beauty. There are flowers and songs, snowflakes and smiles, acts of great courage, laughter between friends, a job well done, the smell of fresh-baked bread. Beauty is everywhere, ready to nourish the soul. It must only be seen to begin helping us. - Matthew Fox

Sep 9, 2019 10:57PM ChiSandy wrote:

In June 2018, I had not only a torn TFCC in my L wrist and a broken L scaphoid, but also hairline fractures at both ends of my R radius. L forearm in a rigid brace, R in a soft one and a sling. Poor Bob had to drive us up to Lake Geneva for our godson's wedding--I got permission from my surgeon's office to take off the sling long enough to drive back home a couple of days later. We're at the age where it's getting easier to break, tear and twist stuff, not to mention taking the spills that cause that. Ugh.

Had my venous Doppler today--no clots, though I do have a couple of varicosities and perhaps some "deep venous insufficiency" in my R ankle. Oh boy--how am I supposed to exercise with my foot elevated (as they're telling me to do toward the end of every day). I'm also mildly anemic again (so it's probably back on iron, and double up on the stool softener as prunes are verboten due to their sugar content). But as Tom Lehrer (91!) said, I'm still vertical & ambulatory. I get my orthotics tomorrow--will see what shoes they fit into besides the Hoka sneakers I bought, and whether they'll ease my toe pain. (Probably have some degree of foot pain from now on--all non-conservative solutions would likely hurt way more in the short term and not be fully effective long-term).

Diagnosed at 64 on routine annual mammo, no lump. OncotypeDX 16. I cried because I had no shoes...but then again, I won’t get blisters.... Dx 9/9/2015, IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (IHC) Surgery 9/22/2015 Lumpectomy: Right Radiation Therapy 11/1/2015 3DCRT: Breast Hormonal Therapy 12/30/2015 Femara (letrozole)

Sep 10, 2019 06:04AM IllinoisLady wrote:

As I look back at the entire tapestry of my life, I can see from the perspective of the present moment that every aspect of my life was necessary and perfect. Each step eventually led to a higher place, even though these steps often felt like obstacles or painful experiences. -Wayne Dyer

Sep 11, 2019 01:02AM ChiSandy wrote:

So I picked up my new custom orthotics today, and wore them home (between traffic and a stop at Buffalo Wild Wings to pick up dinner, I wore them for the prescribed 2 hrs/day, for at least the next week or two). Also got some high-heel orthotics (actually, any heel higher than 1-1/2" is considered "high" at Waxberg's House of Extremely Unfashionable Shoes---er, Walk Shoppe), and arch-support gummy rubber slides to wear at home (I've been advised by my podiatrist to never go barefoot again except in bed, the shower, or while swimming) and thongs for when I need to go for my mani-pedis. (Have Fit-Flops, which are cushy, but the toe post irritates me and they have no arch support). I also was given the plaster casts of my feet in case I ever need a second pair made--those suckers are heavy!

Alas, my deformed L 3rd toe (big callus at the tip, overlying a wart with a blood vessel in it; malformed thick toenail that snags on socks) still burns at the bottom, despite my putting the orthotics in my cushiest running shoes (Hoka Bondi). I also have trouble wearing those "no-show" socks (even the pricy Bombas, which do stay up) because they tend to be tight in the forefoot, smushing my toes together and causing my big toenails to ingrow--no matter what size I buy. I decided it wasn't the healthiest thing to go sockless with vinyl-covered orthotics (recipe for sweat & blisters), so I ordered a bunch of "yoga socks" (five separate toes), "geta" or "flip-flop" socks (big toe separated), and open-toed socks (I already have 3 pair of the compression version for flying). The cheaper yoga socks--with little anti-skid nubs on the soles--are a disaster, because they're impossible to put them on over my "nonstandard" toes (especially the pinky one, which is half as long as the others). They're going back...or to Care for Real or The Ark for donation. One pricy pair meant for walking was a little easier to put on and despite still having toes too long for my own, fit everywhere else on my feet so I'll give them a try with my orthotics. Wish they made socks shaped like feet, the way they do orthopedic shoes.

Haven't heard back from my primary about my anemia resurfacing (albeit mildly); Bob says to at least resume tsking iron tomorrow and double up on the stool softener. He says I should definitely get a ferritin level drawn. The rest of my CBC raised no red flags--acc. to my MO, the components that would indicate a need for bone marrow testing or at least smears to rule out MDS or leukemia are fine.

It hit me that I'm only 9 lbs. away from my interim weight loss goal: to get my BMI down below 30 and become officially "overweight" instead of "obese." Funny how 3 months ago, I'd have been so tempted on my way home to stop for donuts or fro-yo; now they're almost poison for me. I do indulge at the winemaker dinners, but only a few bites of dessert--I can do that now without saying "OK, I've blown it, might as well go to town." (Those dinners are only once a month, so temptation is time-limited). Most times when we go out, if I even have room for dessert and it's part of a prix fixe menu or buffet, I can always get berries or a cheese course. But the closest I come to dessert at home are sugar-free fiber gummies and sugar-free very dark chocolate (and only a tiny bit at that).

Have the first Black Tie Gala From Hell of the season weekend after next. Normally, I'd view it as an excuse to get a new outfit at the plus size dept. at Bloomie's or Nordstrom, or try to put together pants, top & jacket from the fat-formal-wear section of my closet(s). Instead, I'm pulling out stuff I wore back when I was this size (and nobody at these banquets will remember).

Sep 11, 2019 06:01AM IllinoisLady wrote:

Blessed are they who have learned to admire but not envy, to follow but not imitate, to praise but not flatter, and to lead but not manipulate. -William Arthur Ward

Sep 11, 2019 10:01AM carolehalston wrote:

DH is off to town with a list of errands. I have nothing on my schedule. Sending out fond, healing thoughts to Jackie and anyone else with an ailing body.

It looks gloomy outside and rain is in the forecast. At women's golf yesterday, I was asked, "Aren't you ready to go south?" I pointed out that it still very hot and humid back home. Plus September is a big hurricane month.

Speaking of hurricanes, the pictures of the Bahamas make me sick at heart.

Wishing everyone a good Wednesday.

Nipple-Sparing BMX w/Alloderm & Silicone Implants 7/24/09, Oncotype Dx 9, No Chemo, No Rads, Arimidex Dx 6/25/2009, IDC, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 3, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Sep 11, 2019 11:59AM Wren44 wrote:

Sandy, I have very wide feet (toes, not heels) and have problems with no show socks. I have one set that DH found in his drawer (denies ever buying or wearing) that fit just great. Plenty of room for my toes. They didn't have a brand name on them, but I just realized the toe decoration looks like Addidas and I'm going to look at theirs. I hate going without socks unless I'm wearing sandals and didn't like the gel insoles because they're all sticky after I've had them on for awhile. I want to get some memory foam insoles to put in my older sneakers. I think the bottoms of my feet have lost weight.

Carole, I remember having the first cool weather on my birthday which we were celebrating in New Orleans. It's toward the end of Oct. In Houston we called the first cool fronts 'blue northers'. The charity hospital kept track because there was a baby boom 9 months later.

Lumpectomy and re-excision followed by mastectomy of right breast. Five years of anastrasole completed.

Sep 11, 2019 06:39PM ChiSandy wrote:

We hit >90 today for the second day in a row--think I'll try to cedar-plank a salmon filet on the grill before the forecasted storms start.

We do tend to lose our essential fat "padding" as we get older: palms, soles, gluteal fat near the tailbone, hipbones (iliac crest). Unfortunately, the fat we don't want stays put unless we work to burn it off (and that doesn't always work).

My housekeeper says the pricy no-shows also crowd her toes and aggravate ingrowns. I tried on the "thong" and "anti-bunion" socks and they work fine, as do the open-toed ones. Seems that "yoga" or "toe" socks aren't shaped like feet--they just line the toes up straight across, so that the pinky toes can't even get near the "pocket" reserved for them. I notice that most low-cut ankle or quarter socks, as well as crew or knee-length, tend not to scrunch my toes or aggravate (or cause) ingrowns. I think that by their nature, "no-shows" tend to have more elastic in them to keep the heels from slipping down (which isn't always successful if the socks are too short, low-cut, and lack adequate silicone heel grips). I might go up a size in the Bombas to see if that does the trick--I don't mind them "showing" a little at the heels of my lace-up shoes if my toes aren't being strangled.

Sep 11, 2019 06:42PM MinusTwo wrote:

Wren: I've had luck with buying men's ankle & no show socks. Much more room & no crowding.

2/15/11 BMX-DCIS 2SNB clear-TEs; 9/15/11-410gummies; 3/20/13 recurrance-5.5cm,mets to lymphs, Stage IIIB IDC ER/PRneg,HER2+; TCH/Perjeta/Neulasta x6; ALND 9/24/13 1/18 nodes 4.5cm; AC chemo 10/30/13 x3; herceptin again; Rads Feb2014

Sep 11, 2019 08:38PM - edited Sep 11, 2019 08:42PM by ChiSandy

Chatted online with Bombas--they dissuaded me from ordering a size L, because the wrinkling would cause blisters. They suggested that if I want to wear no-shows I get the merino-wool ones instead, because they'll stretch without compression. Meanwhile I'm in my daily 2-hr orthotic break-in period, and the Abeo cotton/polypro blend quarter socks (not particularly thick) I'm wearing with them in my new Hokas aren't bothering my toes but are making the shoes way too tight--could barely pull them on. I almost bought another pair of this model of Hoka, in black leather, yesterday for winter or wet-weather wear, but all they had was a D width which was way too big in the heel and forefoot (tried them on w/o socks). But if I'm going to be wearing wool socks, it might be the right size. Think I'll go back to the store tomorrow. I fear that even if these orthotics fit in other shoes of mine, I won't be able to wear any but the thinnest of socks.

Sep 11, 2019 09:53PM HikingLady wrote:

ChiSandy In February of 2018, I had a big foot re-build surgery. Correction of bunion + 5 fusions, to solve midfoot arthritis pain. I have worn custom orthotics every day for 25 years, due to ongoing foot issues. Mine are 1/2 length, and they stop before the toes. For all of my shoes, I trim the insole that comes with the shoes, and then I set my orthotic on top of that partial (front) section of insole, so that the front of my foot also gets some cushion--I have my orthotic overlap the original (trimmed) insole by 1/2".

I don't have the other toe issues you've described, and I'm so sorry---that sounds very challenging, for sure. My orthotics line my toes and arch up properly, so I mostly don't get foot pain anymore. I do well with Smart Wool and Bomba socks.

I also wear Hokas! They have solved my challenge of walking and standing on hard surfaces. After my foot surgery, that foot is more susceptible to future arthritis, and walking around on city concrete is hard on it. My Hokas (Bondi 6) have so much cush that my fussy foot is much happier. I find that walking on hiking trails that are dirt or fir needles/'duff' is just fine in a hiking boot (always with orthotic inside), but walking on concrete has been no fun, until Hoka One One entered my life!

I tried on my first pair of Hoka One Ones (strange name; my salesperson averred that the pronunciation is O-nay O-nay) in a running shoe store, and bought one pair, then found same thing online to buy my Outside shoes. They are now my Almost Always shoes---I got basic black for wearing outside the house. My foot does not agree to be barefoot, or walk without orthotics, so I have to wear shoes in the house. So, I have Inside Hokas and Outside Hokas. It's a pain to take out the orthotic every time I change shoes, but I've done this exact thing for decades, so I guess I'm used to it, which is not the same as enjoying it, ha ha.

I hardly ever wear sandals, but Abeo sandals work for my feet, so I have several cute ones that can work when I have to wear something cuter, usually with a long dress (I am grumpy about short dresses---too complicated to sit!). I actually sometimes put my orthotics inside sandals. That's pretty weird, but they're not very visible, and feet are happier.

Dx 3/2003, IDC, Right, <1cm, Stage IA, 0/2 nodes, ER+, HER2- Surgery 4/8/2003 Lumpectomy Radiation Therapy 6/9/2003 3DCRT: Breast Hormonal Therapy 8/7/2003 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Dx 4/25/2018, IDC, Right, <1cm, Stage IIA, Grade 3, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2- Surgery 5/22/2018 Lymph node removal: Right, Sentinel; Mastectomy: Left, Right; Prophylactic mastectomy: Left; Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Chemotherapy 6/25/2018 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel) Hormonal Therapy 11/6/2018 Arimidex (anastrozole) Surgery 1/2/2019 Reconstruction (left): Silicone implant; Reconstruction (right): Silicone implant

Sep 12, 2019 12:28AM ChiSandy wrote:

My new Hokas are also Bondi 6--surprised because they're a "neutral" support shoe (I was always told at running shoe stores I need stiff motion control or at least stability shoes) and very cushiony. My first Hokas were (still are) Conquests, bought in 2015, took me on walking tours around Italy on a Mediterranean cruise and training every other day in the gym for over a year (till I fell and had hand/wrist/arm surgery). Also a "neutral" support, high-cushioning shoe, which I've been wearing with Powerstep Pulse running-store orthotics. The comfiest shoes I've ever had. Really loud lime green/turquoise, though. (My Bondis are navy with pink accents). I guess it's the orthotics that provide the motion control.

Ever since I got a 5th met stress fx (acc. to the orthopedist; my podiatrist at the time said "cuboid syndrome") in 2010 after my Croc got stuck to a linoleum floor and I pitched forward w/o falling, I have been wearing only orthopedic (or "healthy" wallking or dress shoes. Used to wear Mephistos until my L bunion & bunionette made them too narrow in the forefoot (the brand doesn't offer widths) and New Balance for fitness; switched to Finn Comforts. At a shoe store that no longer exists, I got some really clunky old-lady-looking Drew "extra-depth" flat-heeled Mary Janes to accommodate the orthotics I had recently been prescribed. Wore the Finn Comforts on a Viking river cruise (Budapest-Amsterdam) 3 mos. after my first knee replacement in 2012, leaving my sneaks at home because I didn't want to look like the stereotypical Ugly American Tourist with fanny-pack, gym shoes, and tacky sweatshirt or graphic tee. Unfortunately, while they served me well for business and city-walking, the soles were too thin for sharp pointy irregular cobblestones in small-town German streets, and by the time we hit Nuremburg I had a nasty set of bruised soles--and no German shoe stores had any cushy shoes to fit my wide, bunioned forefoot. (Europeans apparently are skinny all over, including their feet). Best I could do were snowboarding socks.

When I got home I went to the orthopedic shoe store and tried to have orthotics made--but w/o a 'script from a podiatrist, all the pedorthist could do was suggest rocker sole "Finnamic" rocker sole Finn Comforts for outside (2 pr oxfords, one pr Mary Janes) and Alegria mules as house shoes (which patent leather uppers gave me blisters); and put metatarsal pads in them. As the years went by and my weight fluctuated, my feet changed and I developed that dang callus at the end of my third toe. And it was agony, even in my thickest-soled Finnamic oxfords, walking over slippery cobblestones in Amsterdam in the rain this spring. (Even led me to buy a pair of deeply discounted black Hoka Mach 1s in Jerusalem that were a size too small to wear with socks or even aftermarket orthotics--but quite adequate for walking tours and navigating airports).

Quite frankly, that stupid, burning toe is why I hadn't gone back to the gym once my arm healed and why I rarely take fitness walks. (On vacations, though, I regularly hit 10,000 steps, not without pain). And it's why I finally gave in and went to the podiatrist--a new one, whom I hoped would be able to cast me for orthotics or at least suggest proper padding to take the weight off my poor toe, which I also hoped he might de-calllus. Instead, he began to shave that callus--and it bled because of a hidden wart or fissure beneath the hardened skin. He also wrote me a script for soft full-contact custom orthotics--to be filled at the same orthopedic shoe store where I got the Finnamics. Different pedorthist this time. He might have to modify these if after 2 wks of acclimation my toes still burn (especially when I lift my foot or take the shoes & socks off) till they calm down after several minutes.

The podiatrist talked me out of surgery--which he says should be a very last resort, has a painful recovery, and may improve shoe fit but actually make the pain worse. Everyone I personally know who had foot surgery (except to internally fixate a severe dislocated fracture) regrets it. I guess there's always the stationary bike or rower should I have to start doing cardio. (I can't do ellipticals except recumbent ones--and only PT clinics have them because they take up too much room),

Sep 12, 2019 10:48AM carolehalston wrote:

I have "Hoka friends" on this forum! Oh, the trials of foot problems. This summer I have gone for on-the-street walks several times and my feet haven't bothered me afterwards. For several years after foot surgery my exercise walking has been restricted to the treadmill.

Sep 12, 2019 01:11PM Wren44 wrote:

I've been wearing size 9 New Balance and went to 9.5 for my new pair. How do the Hokas fit in comparison? Anyone know?

Sep 12, 2019 08:57PM MinusTwo wrote:

Wren: I went to a New Balance 10 several years ago to give my foot room to swell. I've own 3 pair of Hoka Mach in a 10. The toe box is significantly wider than New Balance but the shoes are much more comfortable. I always wear them with socks - and not thin socks. Just spent 10 days tromping all over CA for 8-10 hours a day, including up & down hills in San Francisco. Never had any painful area or blisters.

2/15/11 BMX-DCIS 2SNB clear-TEs; 9/15/11-410gummies; 3/20/13 recurrance-5.5cm,mets to lymphs, Stage IIIB IDC ER/PRneg,HER2+; TCH/Perjeta/Neulasta x6; ALND 9/24/13 1/18 nodes 4.5cm; AC chemo 10/30/13 x3; herceptin again; Rads Feb2014

Sep 12, 2019 10:10PM Wren44 wrote:

I think I'm going to start wearing Smartwool socks all year round. I had them on to buy my new shoes and they were comfortable even on a hot day. Cotton sox just get soaked. I may go ahead and get the Hoka shoes I saw on line. Nordstrom is good about taking things back.

Sep 13, 2019 01:02AM CindyNY wrote:

Orthotics - I've been wearing them for about 6 years now. I buy Asics sneakers, remove the insole (store them in a drawer) to get the orthotic in them. Normal size foot 7.5-8; with orthotic I buy 8.5. After 6 months I replace the sneakers with a new pair. I put the original insole back in the old sneakers and donate them to Good Will.

I have to wear the sports socks over my ankle, otherwise during a workout (or sometimes just walking) other lower socks end up off my ankle & under my foot.

PS - when I first started wearing orthotics my knees, hips and back ached from being put into correct alignment. I've had bunion surgery on both feet, the right foot twice (and my big toe is still crooked!). My gait changed from these surgeries. I'm going to look up the Hoka brand. Thanks.

dx at 58, no family history, onco = 19 Dx 10/6/2017, DCIS/IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/5 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 10/31/2017 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Surgery 11/13/2017 Lumpectomy: Left Radiation Therapy 12/26/2017 Whole-breast: Breast Hormonal Therapy 3/1/2018 Arimidex (anastrozole)

Sep 13, 2019 10:31AM IllinoisLady wrote:

Faith is a friend by our side. When we allow it in, faith acts as a floor beneath our feet. When we make choices rooted in faith, we trust that there is a power, an unseen force, guiding us. When we have faith, we know that we are being taken care of. Faith gives us the ability to look beyond our immediate circumstances and imagine brave new choices for the future. Faith means trusting in something beyond what we know. Having faith that we are part of a bigger whole allows us to melt away our separateness. Faith gives us strength and reassurance and leaves us bathed in the wisdom that we are never alone. -Debbie Ford

Sep 14, 2019 10:35AM carolehalston wrote:

I wear a 9 1/2 narrow and a 10 in athletic shoes. One advantage of New Balance is that narrow sizes are available. I wear thick socks with my Hoka size 10's and tighten the laces. They were recommended for me because of the heel lift and wide toe box.

I shudder when I see the shoes women wear. Men's fashions are kinder to men's feet. However, dh has foot issues at age 80. He no longer wears golf shoes to play golf. Instead wears athletic shoes like I do.

It was in the 40's this morning. I stayed under the covers and outwaited dh, who finally got up and got the heat pump going and closed windows. Our time is growing shorter here in northern MN. We were thinking about staying a week or two in October but the weather will be the deciding factor. We don't look forward to going home to heat and humidity but being indoors in a 5th wheel can get claustrophobic.

Happy Saturday.

Sep 14, 2019 10:39AM IllinoisLady wrote:

The simplification of life is one of the steps to inner peace.
A persistent simplification will create an inner and outer well-being
that places harmony in one's life.
- Peace Pilgrim

Page 1162 of 1,164 (34,897 results)