We are 224,420 members in 82 forums discussing 157,743 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: Can we have a forum for "older" people with bc?

Forum: Older Than 60 Years Old With Breast Cancer —

Meet other women who are similar in age and dealing with age-appropriate issues.

Posted on: Feb 7, 2009 05:29PM

Northstar wrote:

I am an "older" woman with breast cancer (I was diagnosed at 65 and am now 66).  I notice that most of the posts seem to be from people younger than I am (often by quite a bit...).   I'd love to "talk" with others my age, exchange info about their diagnoses, effects on their lives, etc.   I see that there is a forum for young women.

Someone suggested that maybe it's that older people aren't so computer-savvy or aren't used to being in online discussion groups.   However, for those who are, it would be great. 

DX 8/15/08, ILC, 5.1 cm, Stage IIb, Grade 1, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-, Oncotype DX 11.

Page 1172 of 1,175 (35,231 results)

Posts 35131 - 35160 (35,231 total)

Nov 6, 2019 07:23AM IllinoisLady wrote:

Humility accompanies every experience wherein we let ourselves fully listen to others, to learn from them, to be changed by their words, their presence. Each opportunity we take to be fully present to other people, totally with them in mind and spirit, will bless us while it blesses them. Offering and receiving the gift of genuine attention is basic to the emotional growth of every human being. -unattributed

Each day I am thankful for nights that turned into mornings, friends that turned into family, dreams that turned into reality and likes that turned into love. ~~~Elizabeth Kuebler-Ross Dx 9/27/2007, IDC, 5cm, Stage II, Grade 3, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2-

Nov 6, 2019 07:29AM MCBaker wrote:

I went to the dentist yesterday, got an assessment of what I need. I have a pair of appointments next Monday, once the insurance gives a quote. Every time I vacuum, I get a 24-hour headache, always on the side of that bad upper tooth. Hoping this will resolve the problem.

Just two more Herceptin infusions to go!

A person from senior services will be visiting me today to assess my need for adaptive equipment. I already have a hyper-sensitive burglar alarm, and an amplified doorbell, but telephone is a problem. I have Magic Jack hooked up to a specialty phone, but if I receive an emergency message during the night, zippo. I have not had a cellphone for over a year, the last one I had was totally useless. And weather warnings are totally impossible. I probably ought to straighten up the apartment before she arrives.

Mary Dx 10/3/2018, DCIS, Right, 6cm+, Stage 0, Grade 3, ER-/PR- Dx 11/16/2018, IDC, Right, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 1, 0/5 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2+ (IHC) Surgery 11/16/2018 Lymph node removal: Sentinel; Mastectomy: Right; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Targeted Therapy 12/19/2018 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Chemotherapy 12/19/2018 Taxol (paclitaxel) Surgery 6/28/2019 Reconstruction (right): Fat grafting, Saline implant

Nov 6, 2019 07:36AM IllinoisLady wrote:

Sorry about that cable. I dislike it too. Ours ( we are not sure where the actual problem was ) was out twice in that many weeks. Lasted for several hours so since we use bundled services I ( phone, Internet and t.v. ) we have nothing. I'm sure they don't deduct for their billing when you gone 5 to 8 hrs. waiting on repairs from perhaps even the next town over. Sigh !!! It should be great once you get a 'clean' line.

I say let the kitties be happy. Have a friend with the same general description you gave of your two Sandy. She finally gave up since her two always nudged each other to get the food ( how did they know ) they weren't supposed to have. One had medicated -- one not. Now they both get the medicated. Eating isn't nearly as fun but the Vet is okay with it and the kitties are fine. Maybe no sun today, but we will be okay I think. Chance of rain but doesn't sound like it would amount to much if it does come. Cooler temps coming though.

I am so enjoying driving my car again. Fortunately we don't have a lot of traffic here so once I read there was no law against a person driving with a broken arm, I jumped back into the driver's seat. Some adjustments, but nothing that can't be handled okay. Now I can make appts. for some of the things I needed to do that have been hanging fire. Need the V.A. Podiatrist as well as Audiologist to reset my hearing aids. Hopefully will be able to make those appts. close together on the same day.

Wishing you all a really nice day.

Each day I am thankful for nights that turned into mornings, friends that turned into family, dreams that turned into reality and likes that turned into love. ~~~Elizabeth Kuebler-Ross Dx 9/27/2007, IDC, 5cm, Stage II, Grade 3, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2-

Nov 6, 2019 12:22PM petite1 wrote:

9 treatments down and 12 more to go!

petite Dx 8/23/2019, ILC/IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/7 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2- Radiation Therapy 10/22/2019 Breast

Nov 7, 2019 04:20AM Rosanne7 wrote:

Thanks for starting a forum for "olders"..... I'm 60 & thankful to have made it to this birthday!

Dismayed, however, at being treated "differently" this year by healthcare providers... it's as if they use geriatric guidelines for "age 65 & over" already.

Memo to condescending doctors: I am still a woman. A powerful & effective member of the human race. Deal with it.

Roseanne7

Dx 5/2007, DCIS, Left, Stage 0, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx 9/2007, LCIS, Left Surgery 3/1/2008 Lumpectomy Dx 8/2011, DCIS/IDC, Left, 2cm, Stage IIA, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx 11/1/2018, IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR- Surgery 2/15/2019 Lymph node removal: Sentinel; Mastectomy: Right; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Hormonal Therapy 4/30/2019 Arimidex (anastrozole) Radiation Therapy Breast, Lymph nodes Surgery Lumpectomy; Lymph node removal: Sentinel; Mastectomy: Left, Right; Reconstruction (left): Saline implant, Tissue expander placement; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Surgery Lumpectomy: Left

Nov 7, 2019 06:27AM petite1 wrote:

Roseanne7, I know what you mean. While I was still working, some people treated me a little different, like I was weak, demented and incontinent. Glad I am retired. My PCP, when I first met him, assumed since I was a Boomer, that I was a Hippie. LOL

petite Dx 8/23/2019, ILC/IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/7 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2- Radiation Therapy 10/22/2019 Breast

Nov 7, 2019 06:58AM Rosanne7 wrote:

petite1 -- LOL... these days I'm channeling my "inner hippie chick" into adding healthy veggies. Packing half an avocado & pre-washed greens in morning; add them on top of $5 frittata at local breakfast place. Gets me outside for a walk & helps w/ dizziness, etc.

Glad you're retired now...people can be silly sometimes. Someday they'll grow older, too! :)

Dx 5/2007, DCIS, Left, Stage 0, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx 9/2007, LCIS, Left Surgery 3/1/2008 Lumpectomy Dx 8/2011, DCIS/IDC, Left, 2cm, Stage IIA, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx 11/1/2018, IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR- Surgery 2/15/2019 Lymph node removal: Sentinel; Mastectomy: Right; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Hormonal Therapy 4/30/2019 Arimidex (anastrozole) Radiation Therapy Breast, Lymph nodes Surgery Lumpectomy; Lymph node removal: Sentinel; Mastectomy: Left, Right; Reconstruction (left): Saline implant, Tissue expander placement; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Surgery Lumpectomy: Left

Nov 7, 2019 09:53AM IllinoisLady wrote:

I believe that the first test of a truly great person is his or her humility. I do not mean by humility, doubt of his or her own powers. But really great people have a curious feeling that the greatness is not in them, but through them. And they see something divine in every other person.

John Ruskin

Sense shines with a double luster when it is set in humility. An able person and yet humble person is a jewel worth a kingdom.

WilliamPenn

Nov 7, 2019 10:12AM IllinoisLady wrote:

Rosanne, so glad you found us here. Good for you recognizing that you are not less. You are more for the time you have been on this earth and not allowing people ( male or female ) to diminish you is a good attribute.

I had a sister ( gone from out lives now ) whole name was Roseann. Spelled a bit different. Don't know for sure but I think that name could haver a number of spellings and be just fine. My name was crucified in my mind's eye. The Nuns at our local hospital at the time I and my sister, born first actually, were not always the best at spelling. I would have spelled my name Jackquelynn. Neither my mother or the Nuns could figure it out so to this day my name is Jackolin. If pronounced as spelled ( why couldn't anyone see it then ) it does not actually, to my way of thinking, sound like what I think and see in my mind to be much like what my folks and friends always pronounced when they used my first name.

Going thru changing it for a number of yrs. came to mind but it would be somewhat troublesome and I felt like in the end, I'd learn to be happy with what my Mom gave me and move on. People are sometimes surprised though and say to me -- what an unusual spelling.

Anyway -- go glad you are here. WE are not so much older, as wiser and better for that as something we can share to those coming up. We keep each other and that is why ae are all here.

Nov 7, 2019 04:12PM petite1 wrote:

Women grow radical with age. One day an army of gray-haired women quietly take over the earth. Gloria Steinem

Nov 7, 2019 09:37PM - edited Nov 7, 2019 09:42PM by ChiSandy

I hear you, Jackie. What drives me nuts is how many people think I spell my name "Sandi" or even "Sandie." I'm ok with it ending in "y." Always have been. Never been one for foo-foo cutesiness anyway: first person who writes "Sandi" with a heart instead of a dot over the "i" is gonna get a boatload of invective--being over 65 means we have a license to cuss! (At least those of us with no religious restrictions).

My PCP is a boomer himself--he was Bob's Chief Resident at UIC Hospital, but because Bob took 5 years to get his PhD before med school he's the same age as we are. Same with the dentist. And my MO is only a decade younger. So we don't get condescended to...yet.

Rummaged through my old clothes brought down from the attic and found the pink suede trucker jacket I bought at a Boca Raton Costco in 2005. (Also wanted lime green, but they were out of XL back then. My mom snagged an S, however). I'm really loving pulling outfits together these days. Saw the podiatrist yesterday, and he remarked my toenails weren't ingrown enough to be operated on so long as I need to be active & on my feet. (Toenail surgery requires at least a day or two of downtime, wearing sandals and elevating the foot). So we'll do the ingrown toenail surgeries in Dec., after the run of the Bar Show is done and we've played the WDCB "Holiday Hoot" Tues. night Dec. 12. (7-10pm CST--our time slot TBD). If you're in the Chicago area, it's on 90.9 FM; but also streaming online at wdcb.org. Meanwhile, he did a great job trimming my calluses (I don't let the pedicurist go near them with anything stronger than a pumice stone or emery foot file). My shoes fit better, and my socks are looser & comfier already.

So the DirecTV guy came by today--he said the landscaper did a proper splice, but the cabling itself had deteriorated with age. He replaced the entire cable, from dish to the house, and everything is back to normal. Bob will be happy that he won't have to figure out how to switch to the basic cable (which is bundled with the landline and Internet) to watch his sports channels--but in the interim he's been having a blast ordering Alexa to bring up various shows on Amazon Prime. (Our TV in the den is Alexa-enabled, but I haven't set up the Amazon Echo I got for free last year--I find the whole concept a bit creepy). We didn't set up the Internet on our fridge, have an old-school thermostat, use light switches, have a brass knocker on the front door rather than a doorbell (regular or "Ring"). When we switched our home phone to RCN from AT&T, it went from conventional landline to VOIP--when the 'net goes down we have to use our cells. I refuse to ditch the basic cable, since satellite goes out in storms and we're too clase to the lakefront high-rises for decent antenna reception. And I won't ditch the DirecTV because it has HBO & Showtime. (We don't get out to movies except during Oscar season, due to Bob's work schedule and my occasional rehearsals & gigs--who knows, we may see a flick in London when we go there in a couple of weeks). I guess that makes me a Luddite, even though I use more and more apps these days. The "Internet of Things" sort of skeeves me out. Too Orwellian, if you ask me.

Decided that except when it gets super-cold in the house, I like wearing scrubs as lounging PJs, instead of nighties or actual PJs. I can always throw a hoodie or jacket on over them. (I'm resisting wearing cardigan sweaters--too geriatric for my tastes. They seem one step away from tucking a tissue into my sleeve cuff and keeping hard candies in my purse).

Diagnosed at 64 on routine annual mammo, no lump. OncotypeDX 16. I cried because I had no shoes...but then again, I won’t get blisters.... Dx 9/9/2015, IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (IHC) Surgery 9/23/2015 Lumpectomy: Right Radiation Therapy 11/2/2015 3DCRT: Breast Hormonal Therapy 12/31/2015 Femara (letrozole)

Nov 7, 2019 10:11PM Wren44 wrote:

We have computers and wired in computer access, iPhones, a doorbell that goes ding-dong and a landline with an answering machine. A GS gave us an echo but we haven't set it up. We basically don't watch TV except for July 4 and New Year's Eve. Last 4th we couldn't remember how to change the channel on the complicated remote we had when we had cable. We never used the cable so had it removed and saved our money. We both love to read. I got an iPad and an Apple pencil for my birthday because I want it for art. I'm excited but haven't started really using it yet.

Lumpectomy and re-excision followed by mastectomy of right breast. Five years of anastrasole completed.

Nov 8, 2019 06:10AM petite1 wrote:

IllinoisLady, I have 2 kitties. A black one name Midnight Louie, 3 yrs. and a calico named Felix, 21 yrs. 11 RADS done. I saw the RO. He's not too concerned with my rash. Everything else is doing good, so far.

Nov 8, 2019 06:25AM - edited Nov 8, 2019 08:26AM by MCBaker

Money has been a big problem with upping my technology game. This building has a good antenna. We are getting Eau Claire and Rochester channels. I had some problems with withdrawal from cable, but did succeed, with the help of Prime video. Tippy and I watched a show about dogs last night, but he couldn't get into it, I need a bigger screen TV, I watch up close, to get more from the audio, lips, and captioning. I have dog music going all the time to keep him calm, and distract him from the sound of people walking outside.

Now I have no option other than to get into the tech game. Yes, there is no way I will use Siri or Echo or whatever their names are.

I have had some serious Mom attacks, with communication getting difficult, and son in Missouri and daughter in California (daughter hopes to return to Midwest). Tippy and new hearing aids have reduced the intensity of my Mom attacks. Most of my communication with daughter is through Messenger. Remember the ad about the squirrels in the attic and Zumba? It seems my phone calls to son were getting like that. He is living in Fulton MO, where Missouri's deaf school is. The local parish is likely to have better accommodation for the hearing impaired, only two people here need that. My hearing has been getting worse for the past twenty-some years, and will, of course, only continue to get worse. Eventually I will be moving down there.

She called back, had made contact with deaf & HoH services which apparently has only one office statewide.

Mary Dx 10/3/2018, DCIS, Right, 6cm+, Stage 0, Grade 3, ER-/PR- Dx 11/16/2018, IDC, Right, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 1, 0/5 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2+ (IHC) Surgery 11/16/2018 Lymph node removal: Sentinel; Mastectomy: Right; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Targeted Therapy 12/19/2018 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Chemotherapy 12/19/2018 Taxol (paclitaxel) Surgery 6/28/2019 Reconstruction (right): Fat grafting, Saline implant

Nov 8, 2019 08:00AM carolehalston wrote:

It turned out a good thing that I made an appointment with the gynecologist. Actually with her NP. The exam explained the burning and itching that I had thought was another UTI until a urine culture ordered by my kidney dr. ruled that out. I have a skin problem with the vaginal tissue that raised a flag with the NP. She prescribed a steroid cream and I'm to go back in a month to see the gynecologist herself. If the skin condition hasn't improved, the dr. will do a biopsy.

I also had blood drawn for a cancer markers test associated with detecting ovarian cancer. My father's mother had ovarian cancer. I also had an ultrasound of my ovaries. The tech said everything looked normal but the final reading would come from Dr. Schultis. All in all, it was a productive appointment and not at all stressful.

Afterwards I went to the Toyota dealer nearby and had my Prius serviced. This process went smoothly, too. The wait wasn't long. Goodness, things were really going well for me!

A stop at the bank and then I picked up roast beef poboys at Bears, a hole in the wall poboy place that is famous with locals around here. DH was waiting when I got home and we feasted on the sandwiches, which are a treat.

Today it's dark and gloomy outside. I will skip Friday golf with my group and go to the gym.

Happy Friday.

Nipple-Sparing BMX w/Alloderm & Silicone Implants 7/24/09, Oncotype Dx 9, No Chemo, No Rads, Arimidex Dx 6/25/2009, IDC, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 3, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Nov 8, 2019 08:28AM MCBaker wrote:

Genital itching for me stopped when I quit using perfumed laundry soap. There are so few options available. It seems like they keep loading more and more perfume in them. Might as well dump a whole bottle of it in when you buy some, and simplify things for folks like me.

Nov 8, 2019 09:52AM IllinoisLady wrote:

Life is not merely a series of meaningless accidents or coincidences, but rather, it's a tapestry of events that culminate in an exquisite sublime plan. -unattributed My life is but a weaving
Between my God and me.
I cannot choose the colors
He weaveth steadily.

Oft' times He weaveth sorrow;
And I in foolish pride
Forget He sees the upper
And I the underside.

Not 'til the loom is silent
And the shuttles cease to fly
Will God unroll the canvas
And reveal the reason why.

The dark threads are as needful
In the weaver's skillful hand
As the threads of gold and silver
In the pattern He has planned

He knows, He loves, He cares;
Nothing this truth can dim.
He gives the very best to those
Who leave the choice to Him.

unattributed (often attributed to
Corrie ten Boom, who used it in a
book and often quoted from it.) We are one people forever woven together in a tapestry, . . . And it is our job, our duty and our great challenge to fight the voices of division, and to seek the salve of reconciliation. -Roy Barnes

Nov 8, 2019 02:02PM Cowgirl13 wrote:

MCBaker, I thought I would respond to your post re hearing and share what I have been able to do so that I can at least watch tv/movies at home. I have 2 kinds of hearing loss, had a stapedectomy to see if it could help and it did not. Fortunately I have hearing aids and am on my third set which was purchased at Costco and are quite good and reasonably priced. Much, much cheaper. Fortunately I can hear on the telephone but I can't make out a lot of words when I am speaking to people in person, but then it is different with different people.

So I live on a budget--social security and petsitting and am very fortunate to be able to cover my basic expenses but I have very little disposable income. Meeting friends for meals is a real extravagance plus I can't hear much really. So tv shows and movies are big in my book and what I have done to make this work is to watch all this on my laptop with subtitles. Laptop?!!! My sister told me that she has watched things on her laptop and I thought no way, this is rediculous. I tried it and got used to it and love it, especially as I can pause captions because I'm a slow reader. I found low cost streaming services, mostly british. Britbox is $5.99/mo, Acorn 6.99 and there are one or two more. Didn't mean to hijack this thread but just wanted to share what has worked for me. Hope this can be of help to you, possibly.

Happy weekend to all.

Elizabeth

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the Devil says: 'Oh crap! She's up! Dx 5/28/2009, IDC, Left, 2cm, Stage IIA, Grade 3, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+ Surgery 6/16/2009 Chemotherapy 8/3/2009 Carboplatin (Paraplatin), Taxotere (docetaxel) Radiation Therapy 12/21/2009 Hormonal Therapy 2/23/2010 Arimidex (anastrozole)

Nov 8, 2019 04:46PM IllinoisLady wrote:

Cowgirl -- you aren't hijacking a thread, you are offering marvelous help. I have hearing aids, live on social security and make extra money pet sitting too. We never know while helping one if we might accidentally help more than one. My friend Chevy ( who has posted here but doesn't come often ) has Cosco hearing aids as well. I have to say -- I generally do okay with my aids that I get from the V.A. though lately it is a struggle as I need to go to the Marion V.A. and have them adjusted up. I'm no longer hearing well at my first level. I'm on my second set. Am VERY fortunate that the V.A. provides the aids and the batteries. Every four yrs. they give me brand new hearing aids.

I'm sure MC Baker will be highly appreciative as well.

Nov 8, 2019 05:19PM MinusTwo wrote:

How is Chevy? She used to post on several threads I followed, but we haven't crossed paths in awhile.

2/15/11 BMX-DCIS 2SNB clear-TEs; 9/15/11-410gummies; 3/20/13 recurrance-5.5cm,mets to lymphs, Stage IIIB IDC ER/PRneg,HER2+; TCH/Perjeta/Neulasta x6; ALND 9/24/13 1/18 nodes 4.5cm; AC chemo 10/30/13 x3; herceptin again; Rads Feb2014

Nov 8, 2019 05:52PM Betrayal wrote:

I actually have an Acorn subscription as a gift from my son. I love British shows and I can watch them at my leisure or when there is nothing of interest on TV or even cable. I use the closed caption for most of the shows because I have tinnitus. So my hearing varies from day to day. I got Acorn for $5.99 per month and you can do a free trial on both Acorn and Britbox before you have to commit; both are for about a week. I love Midsomer Murders and Vera so that made the decision easy. I am still working my way through Midsomer Murders. Give them a try.

Dx 1/7/2016, DCIS/ILC/IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 1, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 1/31/2016 Lymph node removal: Sentinel Surgery 1/31/2016 Lumpectomy: Left Surgery 3/3/2016 Lumpectomy: Left Radiation Therapy 3/31/2016 Whole-breast: Breast Hormonal Therapy 6/24/2016 Arimidex (anastrozole) Hormonal Therapy 5/18/2017 Femara (letrozole)

Nov 8, 2019 08:44PM MCBaker wrote:

I also enjoy Acorn which I get through Prime. British mysteries are generally much less bloody, and much less gut-wrenching than American ones. have been through so much that the PTSD gets to me with so many mystery/suspense shows. Being a mystery aficionado with PTSD is not fun. I have Hamish Macbeth ready to binge on. My rocking chair is 60 inches from my TV, and my laptop positioned for videos is thirty inches further. They are both small-screen, TV is 19 inches diagonal, while laoptop is 15 1/2. I can still read the CC. Just don't want to use my desk-chair to watch video.

I have a new bit of technology with my new HA's. Basically, they pick up and amplify the loudest voice in the environment, which also depends on where I have my face pointed. So I am doing better at coping with groups of people. I went out to dinner with friends and a play after, just after I got the new ones, and had a riot! Better directionality, too. I can hone in on the face better, for lipreading. These are Oticon Opn. I am not hearing the high sounds as well as I was with my previous ones, but they sounded so harsh, I would rather do without.

Nov 8, 2019 09:32PM IllinoisLady wrote:

Chevy is doing well. She just I think has worn a bit thin on posting as much as she once did. We keep in touch off the threads in email form because we just clicked a long, long time ago so keep up with each other. I depend on her for 'sage' advice which is something I've always felt I needed so much and never really got from anyone else. We look on each other as family.

MC, I think my ha's are much like yours. I still have to remind Dh that I will hear the 'loudest' person in the room. Usually that is actually the t.v. Dh used to not understand but his hearing has changed enough that he now sometimes has trouble with people whose voice tones have softened ( he never understood when I would tell him ( he's 80 ) that his voice is mellower and doesn't carry like it once did ) and he would be a bit annoyed. The people on t.v. all have sharper, higher pitches and it pretty much nullifies hearing words clearly though I will hear the voice -- just the words at lower pitch are in-distinct.

So I too do better when I face the person who is talking. My ha's are set that way to help be less overwhelmed by too many distinct sounds at once. Trouble is it becomes annoying to be in crowds of people all talking. In fact, I try to limit situations because it is wearing to hear everything but almost nothing -- even from those close to you since it all becomes just in-distinct and conversation is difficult and often impossible.

Nov 8, 2019 10:32PM kathindc wrote:

Ahh, hearing aids. I can’t wear mine at 100%. They’re set at 90 but I have to turn them down, otherwise my breathing sounds like a tornado. I find it amusing that my daughters have toLtd me I speak softer when I wear them so they have to ask me to speak up. I would say I have a live hate relationship with mine.

Glad to hear Chevy is doing well. I miss seeing her on the threads. Love her sense of humor. I remember her saying how much she liked her hearing aids from Costco.

Nov 8, 2019 11:19PM MinusTwo wrote:

Thanks Jackie. Please tell Chevy I said 'hi' from Houston.

2/15/11 BMX-DCIS 2SNB clear-TEs; 9/15/11-410gummies; 3/20/13 recurrance-5.5cm,mets to lymphs, Stage IIIB IDC ER/PRneg,HER2+; TCH/Perjeta/Neulasta x6; ALND 9/24/13 1/18 nodes 4.5cm; AC chemo 10/30/13 x3; herceptin again; Rads Feb2014

Nov 8, 2019 11:23PM ChiSandy wrote:

I don't have hearing aids yet, but because of tinnitus I wear musicians' ear-filter plugs when attending concerts (or rehearsing with a loud band in a small space). My son always tells me I mumble when I have them in, because bone conduction amplifies my voice in my own ears. I am developing pulsatile tinnitus due to sinus issues, and the rubber ear plugs I have to wear for sleep to drown out Bob's snoring also amplify the pulses--which sound like marching through crusty snow or repeatedly jabbing a shovel into a pile of gravel. I have had to wear ear plugs at night for so long I find it hard to fall & stay asleep without them, even if I'm alone (especially in hotels).

Diagnosed at 64 on routine annual mammo, no lump. OncotypeDX 16. I cried because I had no shoes...but then again, I won’t get blisters.... Dx 9/9/2015, IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (IHC) Surgery 9/23/2015 Lumpectomy: Right Radiation Therapy 11/2/2015 3DCRT: Breast Hormonal Therapy 12/31/2015 Femara (letrozole)

Nov 9, 2019 06:43AM MCBaker wrote:

Because of my allergies, I need an air filter in my apt. It is especially bad at night, because the gunk in my head doesn't have a chance to flow into my stomach (mixed blessing, because it then causes heartburn). I scored a big one at a yardsale. In my bedroom, the sound, which would drive fully hearing people bonkers, is masking my tinnitus nicely. I generally wake up at 6:30, I think that is the time my tylenol with benadryl wears off. However, having changed my bedtime, I am waking up at 5:30. I generally have quiet time until about eight. Been playing dog-music most of the day, which helps me, too.

Nov 9, 2019 07:55AM carolehalston wrote:

I subscribe to Britbox and Acorn, too. Sadly we have watched all the Midsomer Murders and all of Vera. I really enjoyed Vera episodes. Recently we watched the last Morse. We're far along on Frost and also on the Lynley Murder mysteries, the latter based on the Elizabeth George novels. Neither of us wears hearing aids but we have both lost some hearing and conversation often requires raised voices especially if the topic of conversation isn't established. We use the captions on the British productions.

Pass along my hello to Chevy, too. She is a "character."

Nipple-Sparing BMX w/Alloderm & Silicone Implants 7/24/09, Oncotype Dx 9, No Chemo, No Rads, Arimidex Dx 6/25/2009, IDC, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 3, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Nov 9, 2019 08:32AM IllinoisLady wrote:

The Tao Te Ching says, When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be. When I let go of what I have, I receive what I need. Have you ever struggled to find work or love, only to find them after you have given up? This is the paradox of letting go. Let go, in order to achieve. Letting go is God's law. -Mary Manin Morrissey

The only things we can keep are the things we freely give to God. What we try to keep for ourselves is just what we are sure to lose. -C.S. Lewis

Nov 9, 2019 05:43PM Chevyboy wrote:

Hi you guys! Sorry I've been MIA.... Hah! It's just that when I got breast-cancer, at 72, it threw me for a loop....! I thought I was too old to get Anything like that! But radiation with the Mammosite Device, then Tamoxifen for 1 1/2 years, and I am going on a 10 year cancer-free anniversary!

And I depended on this site for so much friendship, and support... guess I felt like since I was all better, I shouldn't hang around as much, with the "newer" gals.... I remember how afraid I was, when they said "Well, it looks like cancer"..... DAMN, that news would knock your socks off! But 10 years out.... And I'm back to normal.. whatever that was... Hah!

Yes... Tamoxifen can cause a "stroke"... several women has had this happen.... if you have a "certain gene"... So I woke up one morning and couldn't hear! But, yes, hearing aids from Costco.... On my 2nd pair, and I love them! 1/2 as cheap as from the hearing Doc's!

So me and Hubby are good! He just got his 3rd pacemaker....and is okay! He just thinks he is getting old... I say, "yeah, but that's okay!" We have each other....

I broke my femur/hip probably 5 years ago? Something like that! But it's fine... A rod and a few screws put that leg back in shape again. But now, that EYE am getting older... My leg is sometimes not feeling all that great! It's okay.... you just deal!

Loopy

Winter is here! But we got our new roof put on just in time! This old Victorian was built in 1886! It's even older than I am! So after at least 5 layers of shingles taken off, and a new lid.... it's lookin' pretty spiffy!

Okay girls! Soon's I get to know you all better, I'll write more... Jackie is like my little sister... We can talk to each other about stuff we wouldn't say to anyone else....

Heart So guess that's all for now.... Love you all, and take good care! xoxo

Don't walk ahead of me, I might not follow. Don't walk behind me, I may not want to lead. Just walk beside me & be my friend. Dx 11/2009, IDC, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+

Page 1172 of 1,175 (35,231 results)