Join Us

We are 220,443 members in 84 forums discussing 161,933 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: Can we have a forum for "older" people with bc?

Forum: Older Than 60 Years Old With Breast Cancer —

Meet other women who are similar in age and dealing with age-appropriate issues.

Posted on: Feb 7, 2009 06:29PM

Northstar wrote:

I am an "older" woman with breast cancer (I was diagnosed at 65 and am now 66).  I notice that most of the posts seem to be from people younger than I am (often by quite a bit...).   I'd love to "talk" with others my age, exchange info about their diagnoses, effects on their lives, etc.   I see that there is a forum for young women.

Someone suggested that maybe it's that older people aren't so computer-savvy or aren't used to being in online discussion groups.   However, for those who are, it would be great. 

DX 8/15/08, ILC, 5.1 cm, Stage IIb, Grade 1, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-, Oncotype DX 11.

Page 1246 of 1,292 (38,733 results)

Posts 37351 - 37380 (38,733 total)

Sep 14, 2020 02:16AM ChiSandy wrote:

I haven't tried to "cast" anything from my computer to the older smart TV in the front room--my laptop is a Mac. The front room TV has built-in Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon Prime; but since it isn't an Android OS (like the one in the den) I can't use it for Disney+. I am definitely not a fan of watching stuff on a laptop, much less a mobile device. We got Disney+ (watch it in the den) for "Hamilton," but I have no desire to watch animated or Marvel stuff. We were going to wait for the live-action "Mulan" to stream free in Dec. (no way am I paying $20+ extra on top of the subscription fee to see it now), but there's a huge controversy over it not only having been filmed in the part of China where as many as 2 million Uighurs were killed or persecuted but Disney actually thanking the gov't of that province in the credits!

The only theater-only movie out right now I want to see is "David Copperfield," but I'm not sure I want to risk my health to go see it. I'll wait for it to come out on DirecTV PPV.

Diagnosed at 64 on routine annual mammo, no lump. OncotypeDX 16. I cried because I had no shoes...but then again, I won’t get blisters.... Dx 9/9/2015, IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (IHC) Surgery 9/22/2015 Lumpectomy: Right Radiation Therapy 11/1/2015 3DCRT: Breast Hormonal Therapy 12/30/2015 Femara (letrozole)

Sep 14, 2020 08:55AM IllinoisLady wrote:

Thank someone for something. Go out of your way today to acknowledge the generosity of a person you know. It doesn't matter if you have known this man or woman your entire life, or have just met him or her and don't know if you will ever see the person again. Thanking them for a service rendered, or a favor given, or for help of some kind will enlarge your personal community to include yet another person. Thanking someone builds community as well as friendship. It makes even the most insignificant encounters, like a stranger holding the door for you at the deli, all the more meaningful. It's a way for two people who will probably never know each other's names to connect, even for a moment. -Alan Epstein

Each day I am thankful for nights that turned into mornings, friends that turned into family, dreams that turned into reality and likes that turned into love. ~~~Elizabeth Kuebler-Ross Dx 9/27/2007, IDC, 5cm, Stage II, Grade 3, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2-

Sep 14, 2020 01:39PM Cowgirl13 wrote:

My current streaming preferences are running towards international streaming services. I love Acorn which is mostly British and its just terrific. Since I've watched a lot of the series on Acorn, I now have Britbox which is BBC. Love it. I also have MHz which is international and has series/movies from about 15 countries. I absolutely love crime/detective stories. Since I threw out my TV several years ago, I now only watch on my MacBook and really like that I can see the subtitles very clearly. My hearing is so bad, even with my hearing aids turned up, that I need to be able to stop the movie several times so that I can get all the subtitles. This in no way diminishes my enjoyment of watching a series.

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the Devil says: 'Oh crap! She's up! Dx 5/28/2009, IDC, Left, 2cm, Stage IIA, Grade 3, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+ Surgery 6/17/2009 Chemotherapy 8/2/2009 Carboplatin (Paraplatin), Taxotere (docetaxel) Radiation Therapy 12/21/2009 Hormonal Therapy 2/22/2010 Arimidex (anastrozole)

Sep 14, 2020 03:05PM keywestfan wrote:

I use name brand Arimidex from Eagle Pharmacy. Have been on it for 15 months with just a little leg and finger stiffness( but I'm 86.) I had blood tests this week,was worried that there would be SE's I wasn't aware of and, lo and behold, it was in the lipids and a smidge in the glucose which was 96. LDL Cholesterol was 102, Triglycerides 58, but Cholesterol had risen 30 points to 222. However, the shocker was HDL, the good cholesterol, was 108. That is really really high and there is some confusion in medical journals as to whether it is a good thing or whether it is associated with cardiovascular problems and with- gasp- yikes- BC. Report says my CHOLESTEROL/ HDL value is <0.5x Avg Risk. I have been on 10 mg. Lipitor for about 12 years. It does worry me the unseen stuff these anti estrogenic hormones do.

Anastrozole June 2019 Dx 2/14/2019, IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, ER+/PR+, HER2- (IHC) Surgery 3/24/2019 Lumpectomy: Right Radiation Therapy 4/30/2019 Hormonal Therapy

Sep 15, 2020 02:52PM IllinoisLady wrote:

It takes more courage to reveal insecurities than to hide them, more strength to relate to people than to dominate them, more "manhood" to abide by thought-out principles rather than blind reflex. Toughness is in the soul and spirit, not in muscles and an immature mind. -Alex Karras

Each day I am thankful for nights that turned into mornings, friends that turned into family, dreams that turned into reality and likes that turned into love. ~~~Elizabeth Kuebler-Ross Dx 9/27/2007, IDC, 5cm, Stage II, Grade 3, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2-

Sep 15, 2020 06:01PM petite1 wrote:

keywestfan, I tried to post earlier, but it seems to have gone off into cyber space. Hope I am not posting twice. I had the same thing happen with my Cholesterol, but my labs this time are normal, without any med changes.

petite Dx 8/23/2019, ILC/IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/7 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2- Radiation Therapy 10/20/2019 Whole-breast: Breast Hormonal Therapy 12/19/2019 Arimidex (anastrozole)

Sep 15, 2020 09:19PM ChiSandy wrote:

Letrozole raised both my glucose & LDL/total cholesterol and sent my HDL plunging from the 90s down to 65 (not awful but not as protective, especially for women). Crestor lowered my LDL/total and triglycerides, and restored my HDL to the mid-80s. As to very high HDL, there are two things associated with it. One is that it is sometimes a sign of high alcohol consumption; the other is a matter of how large the HDL "particle size." It's the large HDL particles that "mop up" the bad lipids so they can be excreted; small particles aren't as effective at that. Usually, a low-to-normal triglyceride level goes hand-in-hand with large-particle HDL (the actual test of particle dimension is very expensive and not all labs do it).

Still no word on my eye biopsy path report. Three possibilities: either it was so inconclusive that it had to be farmed out to a more sophisticated path lab; the sample was too small to analyze; or (gulp) the ocular-onc is afraid to tell me lest I go into a deep funk over learning my birth certificate's projected "expiration date." Complicating matters is that not only have the nurses at UIC Hosp. gone on strike, but they've been joined by custodial and even some clerical staff. Elective procedures (including cataract surgeries, vitrectomies, imaging) have been canceled for the duration; and the surgeons have to work with agency nurses (even in the O.R.) with whom they're unfamiliar (& vice versa). At least the strike will end Saturday.

Meanwhile, my vision in my R eye is improving nearly to the point it was before this all started. But there's still that one pesky piece of undissolved "absorbable" suture sticking out my eyeball and irritating my eyelid. The sutures are supposed to take 4-6 wks to dissolve/absorb, and Mon. was 4 wks. I also was told to wait 4-6 wks post-op to get re-refracted. I think I will buy a pair of +3.0 drugstore readers, as my prescription readers are only +2.5 and I still have to squint to clearly see the tiny-font numbers in my NYTimes double-acrostic puzzle books. (I like to do those with a fountain pen--I use pencil only for diagramless crosswords).

Yesterday was our first Zoom meeting for the Bar Show (this year it's called--duh--"Change of Venue"). Plan A--record individual parts at the Bar Assn.'s studio--is off the table, as the engineer who runs it already has his hands full and his and the space's hourly rate is too steep (and this year, the show has no budget available). So Plan B will be to record parts individually at our homes or offices (in front of a green screen if possible), over a soundtrack pre-recorded by the accompanist and played over a speaker. Then the scenes will be edited together and backgrounds added. 9 is the maximum number of performers per scene (and even that's a stretch--it was necessary for the demo video of the Supreme Court, which took 3 weeks to cast, score, shoot, and edit together). To do even one full-cast number would cost upward of $500. We will be getting our assignments soon (we've been promised we'll each get to be in at least one scene); meanwhile, that SCOTUS video goes live online next week, and there will be one video per week released until Election Day (when the writing team will have to kick into high gear and the entire show will be written, recorded and released en masse).

For the first time in the 90+ year history of the show, there will be no charge to see it: it'll be up for free on YouTube. We can't put it up on the show's Facebook page, because--acc. to my duo's social media consultant--beginning in Oct., FB is about to knuckle under to ASCAP/BMI/SESAC and forbid posting of videos and recordings of "cover" songs, upon pain of having the page taken down and the account cancelled. Yes, parody--which our numbers are--is "fair use," but there have been new cases challenging and seeking to narrow the definition of "parody." And as I said, we don't have a budget so we can't pay royalties. We are taking up a collection to pay the director, accompanist & band, and wigmaster--everything else is wholly volunteer (we're doing our own costumes & props, and the cast member who does our graphics is also doing the editing). At least we won't have to find venues & buy refreshments for "after-parties."

The first video going live this week is a "teaser" montage of stills from past shows, with "We're Still Here For You" (parody of the theme from "Friends") sung & played over it. Will let you know when & where to watch it. I don't think I'm in any of those stills, but they go by so fast...

Diagnosed at 64 on routine annual mammo, no lump. OncotypeDX 16. I cried because I had no shoes...but then again, I won’t get blisters.... Dx 9/9/2015, IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (IHC) Surgery 9/22/2015 Lumpectomy: Right Radiation Therapy 11/1/2015 3DCRT: Breast Hormonal Therapy 12/30/2015 Femara (letrozole)

Sep 16, 2020 08:29AM petite1 wrote:

Good morning, ladies. It was a beautiful sunrise, but now clouding up. I spoke with one of my BFF's whose son is in Pensacola. They have been without power for hours and the yard is flooded and full of debris. She will keep me posted with any updates. Thoughts and prayers to anyone dealing with storms and fires.

petite Dx 8/23/2019, ILC/IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/7 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2- Radiation Therapy 10/20/2019 Whole-breast: Breast Hormonal Therapy 12/19/2019 Arimidex (anastrozole)

Sep 16, 2020 09:29AM IllinoisLady wrote:

Over the years I have come to believe that life is full of unchosen circumstances, that being human has to do with the evolution of our individual consciousness and with it, responsibilities for choice. Pain and joy both come with life. I believe that how we respond to what happens to us and around us shapes who we become and has to do with the psyche or the soul's growth.

Jean Shinoda Bolen

Sep 16, 2020 09:43AM IllinoisLady wrote:

What a dichotomy. Fire all over three states in one place, on the opposite side of the U.S. at the bottom -- way, way too much rain from a hurricane. It has been cooler here which is very appreciated. Nights and early mornings feel cold and I put a sweater on most mornings to go to Sandoval. Some possibly positive news on that front. My friend's daughter is hoping to work out logistics around Thanksgiving ( first time she can get more time off ) to mover her mother home. My friend wants to be home -- she has not been happy with what she sees as pretty much institutional living. Breaks down to nothing much to do but sit all day. That is not my friend who enjoyed a lot of activity. Her eye sight is still not the best, and she would likely neve drive again, but she is okay with that. She has lived in her small town all of her life and beweep new-found friends and life-long friends her needs could likely easily be met were she at home. Possibly with one medically trained person checking up on her once in a while to be determined time-wise.

All else seems fine. Taking one of our cats to the vet. He seems fine, his hair feels good, but he has been punk for a week now. Doesn't want to go out where before he begged constantly ( and he is and has been indoor/outdoor since we took him in, He lays around and only displays interest while eating. Otherwise he does what cats do a lot of which is dozing -- he is just over-doing it. I'm wondering if he can get something like West Nile because other than an almost total change in habits he seems fairly healthy. Hopefully we will know something today .

Hope you all have a great day.

Sep 16, 2020 03:53PM petite1 wrote:

Illinoislady, Hope your kitty is all right. Both of mine sleep a lot.

Sep 16, 2020 04:05PM ChiSandy wrote:

How old is that cat, Jackie? Older cats can develop inflammatory intestinal issues, which makes them lethargic but voracious about eating (because they're not absorbing as much nutrition from their food). Sometimes they'll puke from hunger pangs--or from scarfing down too much food too quickly. Staying indoors will help them, as it reduces their exposure to parasites and soil toxins such as pesticides and industrial waste runoff (yes, even in a semi-rural area). Happy has had IBD for over a year & a half--he rejects his prescription wet food, so we give him smaller amounts of Friskies, Fancy Feast or TinyTiger more often. Both my kitties have been indoor-only since we adopted them (Happy all his life, Heidi since she was picked up off the street at 6 mos. and fostered after having been badly injured by a dog or other ferals). They know how good they have it here, and Heidi still remembers what lurks outside.

Had my derm appt. this morning and the dr. was delighted to see no sun damage and no new freckles. Some "stress eczema" but I can use topical creams for that. She thinks that perhaps the reason I don't have a path report for the ocular melanoma may be that dueling pathologists may differ as to whether it is even a melanoma or a pre-melanotic nevus; or that the needle biopsy couldn't get enough cells. She has two other ocular melanoma patients and says "they're doing great."

Next up: mani tomorrow, Rosh Hashonah (online) this weekend, MO and chest CT early Oct.

Sep 16, 2020 08:07PM CindyNY wrote:

IllinoisLady- I hope your kitty is ok too.

Sandy - good information from your dermatologist. We're all hoping for the best.

Its been a very busy week. Masons worked for 3 days, completed foundation work. Plumber fixed cast iron pipe into PVC within 2 hours. Roofer never showed. Tomorrow I'll call a handy man we haven't used in years, in hope he's still doing it. Pool covered, chemicals in, no more swimming. Offically I have to lower the water, put in the skimmer plug, and clean out the filter before it's truly closed. But the worst is behind us.

Temperatures dropping here fast, especially over night. Next couple nights in the 30's.

Remote learning at my house w 11 year old niece is challenging. I have no idea how anyone could work while they do this. We did "common core" math today. I think it was stressful for me not to just multiply and have an answer. Only 3 days down...hahahah, I go to bed early and now I most certainly know what day it is. Can't wait for Friday. Tee hee!!

Those of us up north, get your winter woolies ready, because baby it's cold outside!

Blessings out to all - fires, floods, health challenges. HUGS

dx at 58, no family history, onco = 19 Dx 10/6/2017, DCIS/IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/5 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 11/1/2017 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Surgery 11/13/2017 Lumpectomy: Left Radiation Therapy 12/26/2017 Whole-breast: Breast Hormonal Therapy 3/1/2018 Arimidex (anastrozole)

Sep 16, 2020 10:16PM ChiSandy wrote:

Hit 80 today but didn't run the AC or ceiling fans. Here by the lake it's still 71, going down to the low 60s but staying there all day tomorrow. Tomorrow night we may even have to turn on the heat. Already swapped my Bermudas for jeans--will have to start wearing long sleeves again, jean jacket, maybe even a down vest over it. But next week will be almost-summer again. Next wine dinner at Cellars is in late Oct.--almost certainly entirely indoors (4 nights, 25 people/night in a place that pre-pandemic could handle 100). Bought lanyards for my masks, since I will have to wear them whenever not actually eating or drinking (by law, even at outdoor dining).

I'm not afraid of takeout food, nor of outdoor dining. You can't catch COVID from food itself, and when I bring it inside I disinfect the containers and the surface I've put them on--just like when I get groceries delivered. If you're afraid of catching the virus from the kitchen prep cooks, then you should logically be afraid to get anything delivered, which is crazy. Wear your mask, keep your distance, wash your hands, disinfect high-touch surfaces and keep your hands off your face.

Nothing in life is risk-free, regardless of the virus (and even mets). At our age, life can and will eventually kill us (to paraphrase Warren Zevon). Cars & buses jump sidewalks and into storefronts. Carjackings, shootings (whether deliberate or caught in crossfire), wildfires, house fires, floods, tornadoes--then there's heart attack & stroke, broken hips from falls, other infections & sepsis, yada yada.

We have to decide what level of risk we will accept--but in this day & age, those choices must take into account risks we may pose to others.

Sep 16, 2020 10:27PM IllinoisLady wrote:

Fairly good news on Buddy. He has some sort of viral thingy -- no name yet. Dr. was waiting on report from us in three days. I think we'll report tomorrow. She said he should show improvement ( she gave him an antibiotic shot before she brought him back out to us ) in three days. He was basically improved the minute he got out of his crate. He started walking around and looked with longing at the door. He is not going out though.

He is eating with gusto which is good as he has a capsule to be broken open and put in his food. Also a syringe of meds for the next 5 days. We will get ( by phone of course ) with Dr. Britt and see what she wants us to do since we don't have a history on Buddy. He is a beautiful boy of about 10#'s at the moment -- orange and white -- huge fluffy tail which is usually up in the air. He loves to chanse squirrels and like any cat very patient and enourmously quiet until they come down out of the trees. It looks like he will be okay. The vet told me that while the size of the cat is something of a hazard in that they can get ( at times ) really sick, REALLY fast, the up side is that they can also recover at times almost as quick. Sure seems to be happening for Buddy. Our estimate is that he is approx. 2 yrs. old so fairly young.

Another long day for me.

My own Dr. phone appt. went well. She will set up a mammogram for me and later a colonoscopy. Only the second one in my life. If it is "clean" then I likely won't be required to have any more she said. I am 75. In fact, I was waiting to have the second test just as I broke my arm and could not do it then. The first test found nothing -- but even she felt we should have a " comparison " and they will at the same time I do the colooscopy, put a tube down my throat and look at the bottom of my esophagus.

Seems when I broke my arm and came up with other items from the CT scan -- they may not be the issue it seemed back them. The lung nodule shrunk and is staying shrunk. The esophageal thickening as well as the annuerysm were not even mentioned with the last CT. So, they are not as issue at this point and may never be which is what Dr. Neely told me. While they still need some monitoring to an extent -- it is possible that it is not something that I ndeed to feed deep concern over. We have passed the yr. mark since I broke my arm which is when the first CT revealed the extra problems.

So hoping that all stays well. Also sending hope for the weather to settle on both coasts and relief for all those who have sufferred damanges or losses of any kind.

Sep 16, 2020 11:20PM ChiSandy wrote:

Amen to the weather wishes, Jackie! And good news re both your telehealth appt. & Buddy. At only 2 yrs. old, he has still all nine of his lives remaining. (Happy is 13, and Heidi 15). From the description, sounds like he & Happy may be doppelgangers but for Buddy's bushier tail.

My next 'scope isn't due till 2027, when I'd be (knock wood) 76. So maybe because I have a few diverticula they may move it up to 2025. Or not. Bob's 2 yrs. overdue, since he had polyps, but is understandably skittish considering the last time out his colon got perforated and he had to have a foot of it removed and sewn back together. (TMI). I reminded him that this time he can get it done by my GI guy (head of the dept. at NorthShore Evanston Hosp--the system's flagship) rather than the SW side freestanding endoscopy center that perfed him or the failing little faith-based hospital to which the Chicago Fire Dept. EMTs took him (Evanston Hosp. was considered too far north, so St. Francis was as far as they were willing to go) and tried to "medically (mis)manage" him until one surgeon said enough was enough and operated. Getting the EGD and colonoscopy together (while you're out cold on propofol) is the smart thing to do---that's what I had for my first baseline "screeener."

Sep 17, 2020 05:50AM petite1 wrote:

Good morning, ladies. I woke up early thinking I was starving. Had an English muffin, fed the cats and might go back for a nap.

Sep 17, 2020 09:24AM IllinoisLady wrote:

I am the one and only me. I may not think of myself as a creative person, but I know that I have unique talents and skills to share. For instance, art may appear on a canvas, or it may appear in a meal prepared with love. Some hands sculpt clay or play a musical instrument, and some gently hold the hand of a child. Wisdom can be found in books, but it can also be found in quiet conversation across the kitchen table. I am creative in my own unique way. As I more fully express who I am, I bless others, and blessings flow back to me. I am creative, productive, and open to divine inspiration. I give my gifts to the world. -Unattributed

Sep 17, 2020 09:30AM IllinoisLady wrote:

Sounds like a nice day today. No more than 78. I haven't felt much for humidity the past couple of days either. Glad of that. Lots to do but with no humidity I always feel much more energetic. Still thinking about other tv services. We did get our Charter bill reduced a while back to $150.00 for our bundle so we have time. Just that in order for that to happen ( lower bill ) we had to go to only accessing 10 channels. We don't watch as much as we use to, but 10 channels is a bit skimpy. We needed some planning time though so we are still glad we did that. No need to rush into things now.

Deer are starting to roam through the yard now and they are such a pleasure to see. They will be changing their summer color to a lot darker. To me they are beautiful animals.

I hope you all have a delightful day.

Sep 17, 2020 12:30PM - edited Sep 17, 2020 12:38PM by Joan811

Hi ladies, I have been reading back but just cannot keep up with the prolific writers here! I see good news and some sad loss; and some in treatment (which will be tough but eventually good when it's done!).
The weather here has cooled a bit. We definitely have the smoky haze for the past few days. I am about 80 miles east of New York City. The smoke is from the western states and is very high in the atmosphere. I have not seen the sun today. When it does appear, it is through a haze, or very red-orange. Hurricane season is still in full force; but fortunately, nothing significant has hit Long Island so far. I can't forget that hurricane Sandy was a Halloween storm. While power was being restored, an early November snow storm had arrived bringing more trauma. But we survived!

Jackie, I am glad to hear your Buddy is doing better. And your medical reports sound good overall. You have fewer things to worry about now!

I have been hitting all the medical specialists this summer...still need pulmonologist. I also need a colonoscopy. My GI doctor from 2018 erred greatly when he mistook my ovarian cancer symptoms for irritable bowl syndrome. It cost me months of valuable treatment time. He had tried to do a colonoscopy but couldn't get past a blockage. I did not understand until many months later when I became an emergency. It was 2 years today (9/17) that I left my job at 9:15pm in discomfort, and two days later I was in the ER. It was the beginning of a journey I never imagined.
I am 17 months out from chemo and doing OK, and am grateful for the remission. But I still need that colonoscopy! Am searching for a trustworthy GI doc who can carefully navigate the areas of my 3 intestinal resections.

We are approaching the last week end of summer...it was a beautiful summer here on Long Island. Many beach days and evenings have filled our "quarantine" hours. I am grateful to have a green yard and a deck, birds, turkeys, deer, rabbits, a resident groundhog, and a peaceful neighborhood.
I'll keep "reading back" to catch up on your wonderful posts.
Joan

Courage is not choosing to be brave; it is standing firm in the face of adversity when choice is limited. Dx 7/20/2011, IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 8/30/2011 Lumpectomy: Left Radiation Therapy 11/30/2011 Hormonal Therapy Femara (letrozole)

Sep 17, 2020 07:19PM ChiSandy wrote:

Joan, so frustrating about your GI doc--when you're a hammer, everything looks like a nail. Hoping the chemo achieved a permanent remission.

Suddenly feeling like autumn--temp hit only 66 today and will be going downhill fast. 52 by Sat. a.m.--were we away from the lake, I'd be bringing all my plants in because the inland 'burbs may go down into the high 30s! But summer weather returns next week. Sunny & dry.

Neighbor 2 doors to the east had his acoustic band rehearse in his yard again. Bassist has his amp too loud, is a lousy lead singer, the djembe player has no idea how to "swing" or play on the 2 & 4, so everything is in the wrong tempo. Besides, I don't think it's safe to sing without masks when sitting in a circle, even outdoors. Next-door neighbor to the east is having all his trees removed tomorrow, so it'll be noisy; Bob will have to park on the street lest his car be sealed inside our garage all day. If I go anywhere, it'll be on foot. Rosh Hashonah services will be online, of course.

Sep 18, 2020 07:02AM petite1 wrote:

Good morning, Ladies. Midnight Louie woke me up too early. Husband was already up. Something set off my nose and I had a sneezing spell, couldn't get to the bathroom fast enough (getting old is tough), so now I am showered dressed and doing laundry. Maybe I can get a nap in later.

Sep 18, 2020 09:28AM IllinoisLady wrote:

I have always disliked the idea that we are being "tested" by God when something awful happens to us. Bad things happen, and none of us are exempt from the possibility that they will come to us as well. I have pondered a different possibility inherent in crisis that in no way changes the fact that it is a genuine disaster: perhaps the events that devastate us carry within them seeds of spiritual "initiation" into a level of knowing we would not otherwise achieve. -Sallirae Henderson

Sep 18, 2020 09:33AM CindyNY wrote:

Petite1- some days the stars are just not aligned!

I took my Anastrozole at midnight. And then with the home schooling chaos and not being awake, I took it again around 8:15 AM.

dx at 58, no family history, onco = 19 Dx 10/6/2017, DCIS/IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/5 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 11/1/2017 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Surgery 11/13/2017 Lumpectomy: Left Radiation Therapy 12/26/2017 Whole-breast: Breast Hormonal Therapy 3/1/2018 Arimidex (anastrozole)

Sep 18, 2020 09:37AM IllinoisLady wrote:

Going to be cool ( for us ) at 73. Well, that works for me. I have been fairly busy lately, but that is not bad. It is time for me to take advantage of the cooler temps and get things done. We gave two desks away yesterday. Our next door neighbors reluctantly moved into town about a month ago, but upside was they now have 5 bedrooms. We had given them a desk for their older son, ( they have three children ) and now they have need of more desks and have the room to accommodate them. So the extra came out of storage and everyone is happy.

Petite: With my medical issues as of late I had to start closing my bedroom door -- so no cate or dogs now in my room. I disliked it at first, but have grown to enjoy sleeping alone again. So -- Dh now comes in if I don't appear soon enough and gets me up. You know what that comes to -- sometimes you just can't win. But it is all okay.

I hope you all have a really beautiful day.

Sep 18, 2020 10:08AM Betrayal wrote:

The pre-cancerous polyp that was found in June on a routine colonoscopy had a challenging placement. A biopsy was taken at the time of the initial colonoscopy and it was an aggressive pre-cancer. So I was referred to an interventional gastroenterologist and required a repeat colonoscopy on September 14th. So this time 3 more polyps were identified and I was called by the MD yesterday to discuss the pathology report. The pre-cancerous lesion was no longer evident and may have been completely removed during the initial colonoscopy. Hpwever, two more tubular polyps were found, they are also pre-cancerous and removed. Another area that appeared "iffy" was labeled acute colitis and is of no consequence according to the GI specialist. Initially post-procedure I was told, repeat colonoscopy in 3 years (my Dad had colon ca). However, because there was a discrepancy between the two colonoscopy findings, I now require a repeat in 6 or 12 months. I opted for the 12 months and I cannot return to my GI doc to do this, I need to return to the interventional gastroenterologist. Not happy about having to return to the large medical center for this since it had a tightly packed schedule and rapid turnover meaning I did not even see the GI after the procedure. I was "allowed" 20 minutes in recovery room, which was about 2 hours less than what I had spent in the "holding pattern" before the procedure, and then politely booted out. I did receive a print copy of my procedure and findings but no opportunity to ask questions about them. However, forewarned is forearmed so I will insist on an earlier procedure. This was supposed to be a 10:30 procedure which last minute was changed to the arrival time and never had the procedure until 12:40. Going over 40 hours with no solid food makes one cranky and then the options for a solid were really limited: graham crackers or saltines. Really? So while I am relieved by the results, I am not thrilled with a repeat in 1 year. Should not complain because my Dad had to have them annually as well.
Surgery 2/1/2016 Lumpectomy: Left Surgery 2/1/2016 Lymph node removal: Sentinel Surgery 3/4/2016 Lumpectomy: Left Radiation Therapy 3/31/2016 Whole-breast: Breast Hormonal Therapy 6/25/2016 Arimidex (anastrozole) Hormonal Therapy 5/19/2017 Femara (letrozole) Hormonal Therapy 6/16/2020 Aromasin (exemestane)

Sep 18, 2020 02:21PM IllinoisLady wrote:

That is a bummer Betrayal, but sounds like much safer for you especially since there is some history from your Dad. It may be possible to increase the time between if you can get two really good tests in a row done. Sure hope so. The pre-care/prep is not fun at all. I was always allowed to eat what I wanted afterwards within reason. No super spicy food for a few hrs. but pretty much anything else. White foods are always good since they digest well.

Sep 18, 2020 07:04PM Betrayal wrote:

The saltines and graham crackers were what the endoscopy suite offered after the procedure. Fluids offered were: water, gingerale or apple juice and the juice was room temp so not exactly what one wants after no solids for nearly 40 hours. My ususal endo suite offers Lorna Doones and I only get them then plus they also offer cranberry juice which is chilled.

I had no diet restrictions afterwards. Discharge wasn't until after 2 PM and it was after 3:30 when we finally got home due to heavier traffic. We had left home at 9 AM since medical center is about an hour away if no traffic problems. So it was a long day especially when you are up all night.

We hit Burger King on the way home because I was starving. It tasted so good after the lousy crystal light lemonade/ miralax concoction as a prep. Hate gatorade (and now crystal light lemonade) so that the chocolate shake I had was a real treat. Don't get Burger King often but savored every bite of that small burger.

Yes, I don't mind a repeat in 1 year and if no polyps then I will switch to 3 year cycle. Need to check when last upper endo was done so I could possible get both done at the same time. No prep for that but it's the anesthesia that's the issue there.

Surgery 2/1/2016 Lumpectomy: Left Surgery 2/1/2016 Lymph node removal: Sentinel Surgery 3/4/2016 Lumpectomy: Left Radiation Therapy 3/31/2016 Whole-breast: Breast Hormonal Therapy 6/25/2016 Arimidex (anastrozole) Hormonal Therapy 5/19/2017 Femara (letrozole) Hormonal Therapy 6/16/2020 Aromasin (exemestane)

Sep 18, 2020 08:12PM Cowgirl13 wrote:

Nice weather here today in SF. Bit of a touch of fall but after we have our first rain, indian summer will start and it is one of the nicest times of the year here. Also making it nice is the fact that the wind stops blowing for about 6 months. Went downtown today for an appointment with my dermatologist. He did a biopsy of something on my face and I have to say he had a big reaction to it. He said that he had seen a lot of patients with eyelid issues in the last week or so. Thank goodness I don't freak out over the word biopsy (I'll wait too hear). I'll hear in about a week. It's not in a good place actually as it is right under my eyelid. I do have to be careful as my sister had melanoma years ago. Is skin cancer a possibility if we have had breast cancer? Have a good weekend!

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the Devil says: 'Oh crap! She's up! Dx 5/28/2009, IDC, Left, 2cm, Stage IIA, Grade 3, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+ Surgery 6/17/2009 Chemotherapy 8/2/2009 Carboplatin (Paraplatin), Taxotere (docetaxel) Radiation Therapy 12/21/2009 Hormonal Therapy 2/22/2010 Arimidex (anastrozole)

Sep 18, 2020 10:28PM ChiSandy wrote:

Cowgirl, my ocular oncologist told me that if you've had one kind of cancer, you have a 25% risk of developing another kind. My MO never told me that. May your eyelid lesion be merely a wart or mole.

Page 1246 of 1,292 (38,733 results)