Join Us

We are 219,578 members in 84 forums discussing 161,577 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: Can we have a forum for "older" people with bc?

Forum: Older Than 60 Years Old With Breast Cancer —

Meet other women who are similar in age and dealing with age-appropriate issues.

Posted on: Feb 7, 2009 06:29PM

Northstar wrote:

I am an "older" woman with breast cancer (I was diagnosed at 65 and am now 66).  I notice that most of the posts seem to be from people younger than I am (often by quite a bit...).   I'd love to "talk" with others my age, exchange info about their diagnoses, effects on their lives, etc.   I see that there is a forum for young women.

Someone suggested that maybe it's that older people aren't so computer-savvy or aren't used to being in online discussion groups.   However, for those who are, it would be great. 

DX 8/15/08, ILC, 5.1 cm, Stage IIb, Grade 1, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-, Oncotype DX 11.

Page 1247 of 1,280 (38,391 results)

Posts 37381 - 37410 (38,391 total)

Sep 19, 2020 12:26AM Cowgirl13 wrote:

Sandy, thanks for the information on the 25%. The office visit report indicates "Possible SCC" whatever that means.

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the Devil says: 'Oh crap! She's up! Dx 5/28/2009, IDC, Left, 2cm, Stage IIA, Grade 3, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+ Surgery 6/17/2009 Chemotherapy 8/2/2009 Carboplatin (Paraplatin), Taxotere (docetaxel) Radiation Therapy 12/21/2009 Hormonal Therapy 2/22/2010 Arimidex (anastrozole)

Sep 19, 2020 09:41AM IllinoisLady wrote:

Would that there were an award for people who come to understand the concept of enough. Good enough. Successful enough. Thin enough. Rich enough. Socially responsible enough. When you have self-respect, you have enough.

Gail Sheehy

Each day I am thankful for nights that turned into mornings, friends that turned into family, dreams that turned into reality and likes that turned into love. ~~~Elizabeth Kuebler-Ross Dx 9/27/2007, IDC, 5cm, Stage II, Grade 3, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2-

Sep 19, 2020 12:35PM carolehalston wrote:

My bc doctor told me that people who have cancer are more at risk for other cancers. I've seen this unfortunate statistic come true several times.

Fall has definitely arrived here in northern MN. The nights are cold enough that we have been setting the temperature for the heat pump to 50 or 55 degrees so that it cycles on. Otherwise, the camper is as cold inside as the outside temperature. We've had sunshine during the day the last few days. The leaf color is gorgeous.

I extended our gym membership another month. So far I feel fairly safe exercising there since the number of other people has been quite small. We will probably head south around the middle of October. We definitely want to avoid the first snow.

Wishing everyone a good day.

Nipple-Sparing BMX w/Alloderm & Silicone Implants 7/24/09, Oncotype Dx 9, No Chemo, No Rads, Arimidex Dx 6/25/2009, IDC, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 3, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Sep 19, 2020 03:18PM MinusTwo wrote:

Cowgirl - I believe SCC is Squamous Cell Carcinoma. I've had 5 or 6 MOHS surgeries on my face, but all were Basal Cell. In one case - both sides of my nose. The derm plastic surgeon did a marvelous job of fixing the holes. Let us know.

2/15/11 BMX-DCIS 2SNB clear-TEs; 9/15/11-410gummies; 3/20/13 recurrance-5.5cm,mets to lymphs, Stage IIIB IDC ER/PRneg,HER2+; TCH/Perjeta/Neulasta x6; ALND 9/24/13 1/18 nodes 4.5cm; AC chemo 10/30/13 x3; herceptin again; Rads Feb2014

Sep 19, 2020 04:20PM Cowgirl13 wrote:

MinusTwo, good to hear you have had the MOHS surgeries and that they turned out really well. i'm pretty sure that will be what's coming up for me. Thank you.

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the Devil says: 'Oh crap! She's up! Dx 5/28/2009, IDC, Left, 2cm, Stage IIA, Grade 3, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+ Surgery 6/17/2009 Chemotherapy 8/2/2009 Carboplatin (Paraplatin), Taxotere (docetaxel) Radiation Therapy 12/21/2009 Hormonal Therapy 2/22/2010 Arimidex (anastrozole)

Sep 19, 2020 04:39PM IllinoisLady wrote:

Carole when I read your post I was thinking brr for the night time temps like ours are warmer. They aren't by much. We haven't turned our a/c off, but then again, it won't come on at the temps we have had the last few days. A a/c reprieve is nice. It is too cool for us to open the windows though. We would have to put on our heat to be cozy inside afterward.

Each day I am thankful for nights that turned into mornings, friends that turned into family, dreams that turned into reality and likes that turned into love. ~~~Elizabeth Kuebler-Ross Dx 9/27/2007, IDC, 5cm, Stage II, Grade 3, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2-

Sep 19, 2020 05:06PM Beaverntx wrote:

Cowgirl, DH had SCC on his cheek that was treated topically (guess who got to put on gloves to apply the medication!). That was a number of years ago and there has not been a recurrence.

Diagnosed at age 77-- Oncotype 17, dealing with this bump in the road of life!!🎆 Dx 1/24/2018, IDC, Right, 2cm, Stage IB, Grade 3, 0/9 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (IHC) Dx 1/30/2018, DCIS, Right, <1cm, Stage 0 Surgery 1/30/2018 Lumpectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Right, Sentinel Radiation Therapy 3/11/2018 Whole-breast: Breast Surgery 6/15/2018 Prophylactic ovary removal Hormonal Therapy 6/19/2018 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone)

Sep 19, 2020 05:10PM Cowgirl13 wrote:

Bevernix, thank you. Good to hear.

Sep 19, 2020 08:55PM ChiSandy wrote:

Cowgirl, hope your SCC can be treated topically too; but as others here have pointed out, Mohs surgery can be managed with good cosmesis by a plastic surgeon working in concert with the dermatologist. (My BFF's DH had Mohs for a SCC on his temple, and if I didn't know where to look for the scar I wouldn't know it). And "suspected SCC" might turn out to be just an atypical nevus (as was the "suspected melanoma" on my back in 2016). Wait for the biopsy.

I learned today that one of the "fun" things about aging is that drugstore readers might not fill the bill. My prescription readers (and my progressives) have a +2.5 correction in each eye, but even before the brachytherapy it was getting tougher to read. I ordered a pair of +3.0s from Peepers, but they're too strong. And now my R eye needs a stronger distance correction. (I have to hold a page close to read it with my R eye, but further with my L). So a refractive eye exam it will be. Will wait a week more and then schedule one at Warby Parker.

Diagnosed at 64 on routine annual mammo, no lump. OncotypeDX 16. I cried because I had no shoes...but then again, I won’t get blisters.... Dx 9/9/2015, IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (IHC) Surgery 9/23/2015 Lumpectomy: Right Radiation Therapy 11/2/2015 3DCRT: Breast Hormonal Therapy 12/31/2015 Femara (letrozole)

Sep 20, 2020 07:02AM keywestfan wrote:

Cowgirl- I just had Mohs Friday. Terrified going into removal of 2 SCC microinvasive lesions on opposite side of my forehead.And a lot of PTSD from other non skin surgeries. The handsome Mohs surgeon was reassuring and so relaxed, I almost relaxed too. Unhappy, after the first pass with the scalpel, when he said I needed a second, but then then he came back with a thumbs up. Young woman plastic surgeon, who I saw immediately after, was super friendly, talking about it being pizza night with her husband and 8 and 9 year old children.None of this, to my great surprise was an ordeal.Just now took off bandages,applied lots of Aquaphor as directed. Boy, such tiny neat stitches, pretty blue thread. Looks like the plastic surgeon did an amazing job. Stitches out Friday. Facebook Mohs Surgery page was super scary- but it wasn’t like that at all

Anastrozole June 2019 Dx 2/14/2019, IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, ER+/PR+, HER2- (IHC) Surgery 3/23/2019 Lumpectomy: Right Radiation Therapy 4/30/2019 Hormonal Therapy

Sep 20, 2020 11:11AM CindyNY wrote:

Fall temperatures are here too. Yesterday I was freezing in my house, so I was checking the ap on my phone to find the temp. It's a Wi-Fi thermostat. It wouldn't connect, and said the device had lost internet 1:11 AM. I had to get off my butt and go look at it. When I saw it, the screen was blank, and I noticed black "dirt" on it. I'm first to admit I could use the help of a housekeeper but I knew we didn't install it at the end of January with that dirt on it. I took it off the wall, wiped it off w a paper towel, and started to put it back on the wall. As I did that, a puff of smoke came out the top.

I text a cousin, SOS. He said to call Honeywell. I called, automation call said they could call me back. Approx 4 hours later, I received the call back. It's a long convoluted story - comes down to me having to prove it wasn't my low voltage plug, vs faulty thermostat. 9 PM last night my cousin used his voltage meter ($300 piece of equipment), my plug was fine.

Awaiting the next call back from Honeywell. I believe they send me a return mail package to put the defective thermostat in, and provide me a code to go to Home Depot or Lowe's for free replacement.

By the way, Home Depot saw me there 3x w returns (volt meter). Their service desk manager had me go get a replacement thermostat, charged me $1; so when Honeywell gives me the code (if they give me the code) I'll provide it to her, so it would be a wash. She didn't have to do that, and I love her for it! Lowes is where I purchased it; they wouldn't take it back w/o receipt.

PS- I put the heat on at 68 and once it hit that, I dropped it to 65 on hold. I know it's sad, Sept 20 and I have heat on!

dx at 58, no family history, onco = 19 Dx 10/6/2017, DCIS/IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/5 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 10/31/2017 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Surgery 11/13/2017 Lumpectomy: Left Radiation Therapy 12/26/2017 Whole-breast: Breast Hormonal Therapy 3/1/2018 Arimidex (anastrozole)

Sep 20, 2020 11:42AM petite1 wrote:

Good morning, ladies. Feeling better, today. I have been able to sleep for 2 nights in a row. Love getting 8 hours. Midnight Louie can open the bedroom door when it is opening in, he can't when opening out. So, he gets to sleep by himself in another bedroom. The problem comes when husband lets him out. Miss Felix will meow at the top of her lungs when she thinks she should be fed. She is loud.

I had MOHS surgery for SCC just before BC. I can't see the scar. I did the topical treatment for precancerous areas on my face and arms. That was after BC. I wrote about that during the time.

It is overcast and 75 degrees.

petite Dx 8/23/2019, ILC/IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/7 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2- Radiation Therapy 10/20/2019 Whole-breast: Breast Hormonal Therapy 12/19/2019 Arimidex (anastrozole)

Sep 20, 2020 01:27PM IllinoisLady wrote:

There is a serene and settled majesty to woodland scenery
that enters into the soul and delights and elevates it,
and fills it with noble inclinations.
- Washington Irving

If you go off into a far, far forest and get very quiet,
you'll come to understand that you're connected with everything.
- Alan Watts

Sep 20, 2020 01:33PM IllinoisLady wrote:

It is a beautiful coolish morning here. Our thermostat in the house says 67 which is a lot cooler than we like. During the cool months we have it on 72 or 73. Dh is more cold natured than I am, but no matter what temp. for me if my shoulders get cold I am miserable all over period. Anyway I once heard the perfect temp. ( who knows where I got that info ??? ) was 72 so were it just me I'd likely keep it at 70 I do allow Dh to have the few extra degrees. No matter what as long as I watch and do something about my shoulders I'm ok -- and I do need something a lot of the time even at 72.

Should get a bit warmer today -- maybe 75. It will likely take most of the day and the house will tend to stay cool unless we open the windows or something. A slight breeze comes up so we won't do it now -- too early.

Not a lot going on today so I'll putz at things.

I hope you all have a good day. Stay warm Carole in MN., and you too Cindy.

Sep 20, 2020 02:42PM ChiSandy wrote:

I had to turn the heat on Fri. night, as the thermostat read 66. I keep it set to 72, because downstairs in front (where I spend most of my waking hours at home) always seems colder than the rest of the house. But have now gone 2 nights w/o needing the ceiling fan upstairs in the bedroom. Couldn't fall asleep last night so came down at 4:30 am to watch TV and do a puzzle. Disturbingly, when I have insomnia is when I want carbs--but I try to keep them as high-fiber as possible. Unfortunately, you know the side effects several hours later (not to mention the relatively large dinner we had). Slept till 11:30 and fed the cats. It's after 1:30 and I still don't even want my coffee, much less breakfast. Can't even think about dinner reservations. Went to Gibson's Oakbrook's website, but the only availability they have is indoors. Not gonna happen. (One of the docs at Holy Cross is also the mayor of Oakbrook, and told Bob that Gibson's steakhouse has plenty of patio space. If it does, it must have been sold out for days).

Diagnosed at 64 on routine annual mammo, no lump. OncotypeDX 16. I cried because I had no shoes...but then again, I won’t get blisters.... Dx 9/9/2015, IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (IHC) Surgery 9/23/2015 Lumpectomy: Right Radiation Therapy 11/2/2015 3DCRT: Breast Hormonal Therapy 12/31/2015 Femara (letrozole)

Sep 20, 2020 11:06PM Taco1946 wrote:

Wow - you northerners are turning on your heat and we are still running AC 24/7. Highs in the 100's again today.

Sorry I didn't speak up sooner - DH has had a number of Moh's procedures and has always been fine - and he hates needles. Glad you had a good experience,

Went out for dinner last night to celebrate Ken's 77 birthday - only feeling comfortable at our private club. They had surf and turf last night and it was great. We usually do carry-out on Sundays. This week it was Arby's. Mutz loves the milkshakes!

Stay safe everyone.

Dx 11/22/2016, IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+ Radiation Therapy 12/29/2016 Balloon-catheter: Breast Chemotherapy 2/3/2017 Taxol (paclitaxel) Targeted Therapy 2/3/2017 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Hormonal Therapy 12/4/2017 Femara (letrozole) Surgery Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Sentinel, Underarm/Axillary Targeted Therapy

Sep 21, 2020 12:26AM ChiSandy wrote:

Bummed out that if I make 70 this Jan., we won't be able to have a party--the virus will certainly have resurged by then. We're hoping that we can do our 50th anniversary in late June outdoors at a restaurant.

Sep 21, 2020 12:55AM Beaverntx wrote:

Sandy, ditto for my 80th in December! I had said I would have two celebrations to bracket 2020, 2 years post surgery in January and big b'day in December. So much for planning ahead!

Diagnosed at age 77-- Oncotype 17, dealing with this bump in the road of life!!🎆 Dx 1/24/2018, IDC, Right, 2cm, Stage IB, Grade 3, 0/9 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (IHC) Dx 1/30/2018, DCIS, Right, <1cm, Stage 0 Surgery 1/30/2018 Lumpectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Right, Sentinel Radiation Therapy 3/11/2018 Whole-breast: Breast Surgery 6/15/2018 Prophylactic ovary removal Hormonal Therapy 6/19/2018 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone)

Sep 21, 2020 07:37AM keywestfan wrote:

It is all a bummer. Had reexcision lumpectomy on my 85th and we were in total lockdown in April on my 86th. Here’s hoping something going on for 87. Very disappointing not to be able to go to San Francisco for Thanksgiving to be with family, nor our wonderful trip every January to the Key West Literary Festival, but maybe Palm Springs for a week this spring. So many maybes and mammo and visit with easy on the eyes BS next Monday another.

Anastrozole June 2019 Dx 2/14/2019, IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, ER+/PR+, HER2- (IHC) Surgery 3/23/2019 Lumpectomy: Right Radiation Therapy 4/30/2019 Hormonal Therapy

Sep 21, 2020 09:23AM IllinoisLady wrote:

The Sufi poet Rumi wrote, "Your criticism polishes my mirror." If you understand who you are and respect yourself, you will not see criticism as a problem but as an opportunity to become a better person. When you feel inadequate or imperfect, the criticism is threatening and makes you feel that you have to defend yourself. When you are secure--not perfect, but secure--you can listen to the criticism and consider its value. You can say, "I'm sorry." And "thank you for polishing my mirror," and when it is appropriate you can learn from the criticism and improve your behavior. I say when it is appropriate because there are some people who love to find fault in others. That is their problem. -Bernie Siegel

Sep 21, 2020 09:34AM IllinoisLady wrote:

So yes, we get to miss so much because of covid. My 75th. came on Sept. 13 th. and went and was spent here in our woods and in our kitchen with a non-descript dinner that I prepared w/o desert. True we don't get too fancy with celebrations but likely would have gone to Mama Antonio's or the Chinese Restaurant or even Bigger Jigger. Well, next yr. should hopefully be somewhat better. I do remain grateful that I was able to take care of medical issues although having to wait till the local hospital was once again allowing surgical procedures after covid testing. Life worked out and in the end that is something to feel gratitude about and I do.

A bit warmer today but no humidity so likely also not in need of a long sleeved shirt, but lt. jacket this morning. Plenty to keep busy with and hopefully I can continue to dwell on the positive. Our county is on the warning list for possible going back to previous level. So far though not much indication that it is causing local issues. As has been the case for some time I keep my fingers crossed.

Hope you will all have a really good day.

Sep 21, 2020 11:16AM petite1 wrote:

Good morning, Ladies. 79 degrees and breezy. We are planning a minication. Just need a little getaway and so looking forward to it.

petite Dx 8/23/2019, ILC/IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/7 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2- Radiation Therapy 10/20/2019 Whole-breast: Breast Hormonal Therapy 12/19/2019 Arimidex (anastrozole)

Sep 21, 2020 12:53PM Wren44 wrote:

My 80th is in Oct. I want to order takeout from my favorite Greek restaurant. Luckily it's on a day they are open. Last year we had a big family thing for DH's 80th and the kids gave us a trip to Hawaii. We haven't done that yet, but are still planning to go when possible.

Lumpectomy and re-excision followed by mastectomy of right breast. Five years of anastrasole completed.

Sep 21, 2020 03:03PM ChiSandy wrote:

Just made my flu shot appt. at N.Shore (don't want to hang out at CVS or Walgreen's this year) for 10/4, and my annual mammo--earliest I could get was 12/2! Hope they haven't cancelled all elective procedures again by then. I have an MO appt. 10/8--maybe she can pull strings to get me in earlier before things shut down again (will likely have a followup lung CT for that 2mm "incidentaloma" too). Appts. are scheduled further apart these days to permit social distancing and disinfection between patients.

Still no word on my eye biopsy. Afraid to e-mail my ocular-onc (seems to be the only way he communicates) lest I get news that will further depress me, especially since the results would not affect my treatment yet. I see him 11/18 for followup imaging & glaucoma screening anyway. Vision almost back to pre-op levels (although the R is a bit worse than it used to be), so I will make a refraction appt. (and choose new glasses) next week (or first available).

First Zoom rehearsal for the Bar Show number in which I am featured is Thurs. Should be interesting. Am sworn to secrecy as to the subject until the video is up online.

Sep 21, 2020 11:14PM Reader425 wrote:

Sandy my thoughts are with you during this time of waiting. It is similar to what my sister has experienced. She had her lumpectomy almost 2 weeks ago. No lymph node status yet. I'm starting to think with her they may be holding everything for her follow up appt at the end of the month. But yours isn't until November so I wouldn't think they are doing that for you. And of course there's always the possibility for both of you that things/processes have just slowed WAY down due to covid, staff levels etc. 🙏♥️

Dx 9/11/2014, IDC, Left, 2cm, Stage IA, Grade 3, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (FISH) Surgery 10/29/2014 Lumpectomy: Left Radiation Therapy 1/3/2015 Whole-breast: Breast Hormonal Therapy 2/28/2015 Arimidex (anastrozole)

Sep 22, 2020 02:25AM ChiSandy wrote:

Well, the UIC strike is over, but there's still no deal (nurses want a raise, better PPE and a smaller nurse-to-patient ratio; UIC will concede on the PPE, but only an incremental raise over 4 years, starting next year; and contending that a set ratio--rather than the current system of varying by circumstances of each shift--would increase ER wait times). There may still be a slowdown. As I said, whether the path turns out to have been benign, atypical, or a genomically dismal form of melanoma, it would have no bearing on the course of my treatment so long as the tumor remains localized. So in my case, though ignorance is not quite bliss, neither is knowledge exactly power.

Sep 22, 2020 05:52AM petite1 wrote:

Good morning, ladies. We are heading out for our minication. Weather looks good, only 5% chance of rain. Currently it is 70 degrees.

Sep 22, 2020 09:25AM IllinoisLady wrote:

The most important human endeavor is striving for morality in our actions. Our inner balance and even our very existence depends on it. Only morality in our actions can give beauty and dignity to our lives. ~ Albert Einstein

Living in balance and purity is the highest good for you and the earth. ~ Deepak Chopra

Sep 22, 2020 09:29AM IllinoisLady wrote:

Very cool mornings here as has been the case for well over a week now. I'll start out with long sleeve shirt and maybe change if it warms too much, but due to its being Sept. I often can wear long sleeves all day if I don't use my lt. jacket. Well, I have to say it is better this way than to not be able to be comfortable outside due to heat.

So, trying to accomplish a few small things while working on my bigger projects.

Hope you all have a good day.

Sep 22, 2020 11:27AM mistyeyes wrote:

petite 1 - Enjoy your minication and enjoy the nice weather. (hope the lower humidity and cooler weather lasts awhile)

IDC right- Stage IIA, Grade 3,ER-,PR+,HER2+ Dx 11/15/2016, Right, PR+, HER2+

Page 1247 of 1,280 (38,391 results)