Join Us

We are 219,697 members in 84 forums discussing 161,627 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: Can we have a forum for "older" people with bc?

Forum: Older Than 60 Years Old With Breast Cancer —

Meet other women who are similar in age and dealing with age-appropriate issues.

Posted on: Feb 7, 2009 05:29PM

Northstar wrote:

I am an "older" woman with breast cancer (I was diagnosed at 65 and am now 66).  I notice that most of the posts seem to be from people younger than I am (often by quite a bit...).   I'd love to "talk" with others my age, exchange info about their diagnoses, effects on their lives, etc.   I see that there is a forum for young women.

Someone suggested that maybe it's that older people aren't so computer-savvy or aren't used to being in online discussion groups.   However, for those who are, it would be great. 

DX 8/15/08, ILC, 5.1 cm, Stage IIb, Grade 1, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-, Oncotype DX 11.

Page 1248 of 1,282 (38,444 results)

Posts 37411 - 37440 (38,444 total)

Sep 22, 2020 12:25PM CindyNY wrote:

This morning was 43 when I met my niece for home schooling. I'm in jeans, tank top, and a big fuzzy pull over from Eddie Bauer. Temp now says 59, high may hit 66...4 PM or later. Heat is on 65, not real warm but not bone chilling either.

Sandy - all the waiting tests us. You're more patient than I am. And RBG, some cried, I said (YELLED) really bad curse words multiple times - not at her, but for what will happen with this loss. And I immediately ordered my RBG tee shirt, "fight for what you believe in..."

We had a small vacation planned at a resort for our 25th anniversary. That needs to be cancelled still. It's a new world.

Ladies, I hope your day goes well!

dx at 58, no family history, onco = 19 Dx 10/6/2017, DCIS/IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/5 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 10/31/2017 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Surgery 11/13/2017 Lumpectomy: Left Radiation Therapy 12/26/2017 Whole-breast: Breast Hormonal Therapy 3/1/2018 Arimidex (anastrozole)

Sep 22, 2020 04:01PM - edited Sep 22, 2020 04:01PM by ChiSandy

We're holding off on scheduling our previously-postponed Hilton Grand Vacation stay at NYC's 57th St. location because Hilton is closing a lot of its Manhanttan hotels--including its flagship Times Sq. location. I don't feel comfy getting on a plane, and NY would require anyone coming from IL to quarantine for 14 days. We can't afford a stay that long, and what kind of a vacation is 2 weeks locked inside a small hotel room with just a microwave, Keurig and mini-fridge (and no room service)? We wouldn't be allowed to eat outdoors or even walk to Central Park!

Diagnosed at 64 on routine annual mammo, no lump. OncotypeDX 16. I cried because I had no shoes...but then again, I won’t get blisters.... Dx 9/9/2015, IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (IHC) Surgery 9/23/2015 Lumpectomy: Right Radiation Therapy 11/2/2015 3DCRT: Breast Hormonal Therapy 12/31/2015 Femara (letrozole)

Sep 22, 2020 04:19PM MCBaker wrote:

May be a long time before you experience that again, Sandy.

Mary Dx 10/3/2018, DCIS, Right, 6cm+, Stage 0, Grade 3, ER-/PR- Surgery 11/15/2018 Lymph node removal: Sentinel; Mastectomy: Right; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Dx 11/16/2018, IDC, Right, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 1, 0/5 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2+ (IHC) Targeted Therapy 12/18/2018 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Chemotherapy 12/19/2018 Taxol (paclitaxel) Surgery 6/27/2019 Reconstruction (right): Fat grafting, Saline implant

Sep 22, 2020 07:25PM - edited Sep 22, 2020 07:26PM by ChiSandy

Yup--the word "nevermore" has leapt off the pages of "The Raven" into our general vocabulary. Life will be forever different, because certain activities will never again be safely possible and certain industries will never come back. We may be culturally catapulted back several centuries: before restaurants, resorts, mass transit, cruises, live theater, concerts, spectator sporting events, in-person school and college classes, music festivals, wedding receptions, funerals (other than online graveside), etc. Unlike the 1918 flu, we may never get an effective vaccine against SARS-CoV-2 (we still don't have one against malaria, HIV or herpes, much less the common cold); so until we get a reliable, tolerable and affordable drug prophylaxis (such as the "cocktail" that prevents HIV from becoming AIDS), social distancing and masking--or throwing caution to the winds and accepting as routine the resulting massive death rates--will become the new "normal."

The upside to being "older" is that we at least have the memories of pleasures past.

Diagnosed at 64 on routine annual mammo, no lump. OncotypeDX 16. I cried because I had no shoes...but then again, I won’t get blisters.... Dx 9/9/2015, IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (IHC) Surgery 9/23/2015 Lumpectomy: Right Radiation Therapy 11/2/2015 3DCRT: Breast Hormonal Therapy 12/31/2015 Femara (letrozole)

Sep 22, 2020 07:43PM IllinoisLady wrote:

We are very adaptable to change though Sandy. At least I hope we are. In general nothing ever stays the same. That said, it would be the ultimate to be able to live as we had been doing before the dreadful covid, but unless or until we do find something we will have to adapt to a far different style. I think we are not only adaptable but creative too. It would take time to appreciate changes since we lived for so long with great joy, but we are troopers and resourceful. I have faith. We have gotten through a lot, and we can get through this. We have a lot of young people around and many of them love a good challenge. We can do this and most of us will relish being able to explain to the young- in's about the real good old days.

Each day I am thankful for nights that turned into mornings, friends that turned into family, dreams that turned into reality and likes that turned into love. ~~~Elizabeth Kuebler-Ross Dx 9/27/2007, IDC, 5cm, Stage II, Grade 3, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2-

Sep 22, 2020 07:48PM ChiSandy wrote:

We have been inured to the concept of historical change being evolutionary and progressive (even if at times oxymoronically, conservative). The worst we'd experienced before was two steps up, one step back. Now it's the reverse--and maybe no "steps up."

Sep 22, 2020 11:11PM karen1956 wrote:

Someone my husband met today works for the airlines - he told my husband that no matter how much the airlines cleans the planes, people are people and not everyone is truthful and still fly when not well and he said he wouldn't get on a plane!!!

Karen in Denver, Dx 02/03/2006, ILC, stage IIIa, ER/PR+, HER2-,

Sep 23, 2020 07:44AM petite1 wrote:

Good morning, Ladies. We returned last night and did not stay over. The little waterfront places we wanted to go to were closed. Since we were on the far side of Beta, the water was sucked out, making the Gulf front very smelly. That county is not as far along in reopening and dining inside was not an option. So we ate fish sandwiches in the car. It was still wonderful to do a one tank wander and sleep at home. It is 66 degrees and perfect for the morning walk.

petite Dx 8/23/2019, ILC/IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/7 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2- Radiation Therapy 10/20/2019 Whole-breast: Breast Hormonal Therapy 12/19/2019 Arimidex (anastrozole)

Sep 23, 2020 08:08AM Betrayal wrote:

petite1: Sorry your minication wasn't what you had planned but it seems the change of scenery worked.

karen1956: I love to travel, retired in 2019 so we could travel more and we see how that turned out. I would not get on a plane now if they flew me for free to a "bucket list" destination. As far as cleaning a plane, they didn't do a good job pre-Covid and I am sure what they think is a good job now is not a vast improvement over past practices. When I learned they never really cleaned the blankets, just refolded and rebagged them, I was appalled. The pillows at least got a new cover but in this day and age of bedbugs, not a safe practice either. So thanks for sharing that feedback.

Surgery 1/31/2016 Lumpectomy: Left Surgery 1/31/2016 Lymph node removal: Sentinel Surgery 3/3/2016 Lumpectomy: Left Radiation Therapy 3/31/2016 Whole-breast: Breast Hormonal Therapy 6/24/2016 Arimidex (anastrozole) Hormonal Therapy 5/18/2017 Femara (letrozole) Hormonal Therapy 6/16/2020 Aromasin (exemestane)

Sep 23, 2020 08:27AM IllinoisLady wrote:

Letting go can be a gentle process. Our trust in our Higher Power and our faith that good will prevail, in spite of appearances, eases the process. And we must let each experience end, as its moment passes, whether it is good or bad, love or sorrow. It helps to remember that all experiences contribute to our growth and wholeness. -unattributed

Each day I am thankful for nights that turned into mornings, friends that turned into family, dreams that turned into reality and likes that turned into love. ~~~Elizabeth Kuebler-Ross Dx 9/27/2007, IDC, 5cm, Stage II, Grade 3, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2-

Sep 23, 2020 08:33AM IllinoisLady wrote:

Going to be nice here again. Not getting over 75 if it reaches there and no humidity. This time of yr. we generally do have a lot less. At our age we are a bit immune to some of it. I have not been able to travel for a long time. Last time was in 2008 when I went to California ( 25 yr. home ) to visit my daughter and her family after cancer txs. were all done.

I would definitely ( had this happened back then ) not have gotten on a plane no matter how bad I wanted to go. So, good fortune for me at this time since I'd just as soon take day trips close to home though some of those are iffy too.

I hope you all have a wonderful day, get good test results if you have had tests, and good news for anyone having to see their Dr.'s. To those away from home I wish you well or a safe journey back.

Sep 23, 2020 08:40AM carolehalston wrote:

I played golf yesterday at the nearby golf course and on every hole there were trees with glorious colored leaves. Eagle View is a lovely little course and I have enjoyed playing it this summer and meeting some of the nice women in the women's golf league. My companion yesterday was Merrie Ellen, who is 90. She was very welcoming the first day I played with the women's group and I have played with her a number of times.

We are fortunate this week to have some weather with sunshine and comfortable temperatures during the day. We haven't set a definite date but will be heading south in a couple of weeks. The Covid cases have crept up gradually but still remained relatively low. The situation has been worse at home in south Louisiana. Nothing much will change when we go home. Masks, distancing, staying at home. I probably won't be comfortable getting together with family members. Basically it will be exchanging one location for another that is more comfortable. Going back to "normal" isn't in sight.

Nipple-Sparing BMX w/Alloderm & Silicone Implants 7/24/09, Oncotype Dx 9, No Chemo, No Rads, Arimidex Dx 6/25/2009, IDC, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 3, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Sep 23, 2020 09:01AM CindyNY wrote:

Petite1- day trips are sometimes the best trips! Glad you got out & about.

dx at 58, no family history, onco = 19 Dx 10/6/2017, DCIS/IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/5 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 10/31/2017 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Surgery 11/13/2017 Lumpectomy: Left Radiation Therapy 12/26/2017 Whole-breast: Breast Hormonal Therapy 3/1/2018 Arimidex (anastrozole)

Sep 23, 2020 01:01PM Wren44 wrote:

Carole, Any chance of posting a photo of those trees?

Lumpectomy and re-excision followed by mastectomy of right breast. Five years of anastrasole completed.

Sep 23, 2020 06:28PM ChiSandy wrote:

We will likely have Gordy & Leslie over for Thanksgiving (probably carry out a Southern-style version from Big Jones, a local "low-country" restaurant). We have a big enough dining room table that we can stay far enough apart between dropping our masks for each bite & sip. They're going to Houston for Christmas & New Year's to see her family (whom she hasn't seen since last Christmas).

Sep 23, 2020 09:30PM Taco1946 wrote:

Carole - one of my regular golf partners is also 90 - and plays better than I do! Oh well - it's the sociability and the chance to get out of the house.

Flying right now creeps me out - as does standing in line in airports. Our BFFs are returning from Michigan and we are trying to decide how long we want to wait before we get together with them. I thought we had decided on 10 days but Ken seemed to be backing off that today. So, to be negotiated. Neither of us has family here, so we have been a "family bubble" for years. Just upped our time together when other activities closed.

In the meantime, I am having trouble finding the positive. In my opinion, we have taken far more than 2 big steps back. The "pro-life" people don't seem to care that people are dying, especially if they are old. Or that people are unemployed, facing eviction and are food insecure, particular if they are people of color. Today I am just sad....Wish I'd bought that RBG teeshirt before January's woman's march. Another thing that for me will probably only be a memory.

Dx 11/22/2016, IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+ Radiation Therapy 12/29/2016 Balloon-catheter: Breast Chemotherapy 2/3/2017 Taxol (paclitaxel) Targeted Therapy 2/3/2017 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Hormonal Therapy 12/4/2017 Femara (letrozole) Surgery Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Sentinel, Underarm/Axillary Targeted Therapy

Sep 23, 2020 10:16PM Betrayal wrote:

Or that those babies they insisted be born do not have a roof over their head, are going to bed hungry and that their poor nutrition early in life dooms them to cognitive impairment for the rest of it. Thereby guaranteeing they will be unable to break the poverty cycle, and have little or no access to health care. An unwanted pregnancy does not make for a wanted child just because a pro-lifer says this is what should be.

Surgery 1/31/2016 Lumpectomy: Left Surgery 1/31/2016 Lymph node removal: Sentinel Surgery 3/3/2016 Lumpectomy: Left Radiation Therapy 3/31/2016 Whole-breast: Breast Hormonal Therapy 6/24/2016 Arimidex (anastrozole) Hormonal Therapy 5/18/2017 Femara (letrozole) Hormonal Therapy 6/16/2020 Aromasin (exemestane)

Sep 24, 2020 12:40AM Cowgirl13 wrote:

I heard back from the dermatologist that the thing under my eye is something pre-cancerous. He called while I was out walking so it was hard to really hear him Anyway, I'll see him in 3 weeks and he is going to try to freeze it and then maybe some cream. Before I knew it wasn't something really serious I was stressed at the thought of having to have a plastic surgeon in the mix too. So we will see how it goes. Big thanks to you who shared about your skin cancer experiences and to those of you who offered encouragement.

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the Devil says: 'Oh crap! She's up! Dx 5/28/2009, IDC, Left, 2cm, Stage IIA, Grade 3, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+ Surgery 6/17/2009 Chemotherapy 8/2/2009 Carboplatin (Paraplatin), Taxotere (docetaxel) Radiation Therapy 12/21/2009 Hormonal Therapy 2/22/2010 Arimidex (anastrozole)

Sep 24, 2020 12:58AM ChiSandy wrote:

Whew! "Pre-cancerous" beats "malignant" hands-down, any day.

Sep 24, 2020 05:51AM petite1 wrote:

Good morning, Ladies. It is 69 degrees. Today my tiny cat goes to the vet for his license and shots. He will get his claws cut while he there.

petite Dx 8/23/2019, ILC/IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/7 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2- Radiation Therapy 10/20/2019 Whole-breast: Breast Hormonal Therapy 12/19/2019 Arimidex (anastrozole)

Sep 24, 2020 08:20AM IllinoisLady wrote:

"See yourself in others. Then whom can you hurt? What harm can you do? "

~ Buddha

Sep 24, 2020 08:27AM IllinoisLady wrote:

Taco, count me in as liking pre-cancerous far better. As always, finding issues and dealing with them early is always better or you might say pre-cancerous. I really wish I would have insisted on getting something 'started' way back when I first had hematuria ( which isn't normal ) but since I had no pain, burning, urgency I waited. The same outcome may have taken place, but the difference is the risk. Had it not been papillary I likely would not be here -- so glad that your Dr. will start working on ridding you of this sort of for now -- non-issue so it won't become a big issue.

We will be under-going a slight warming trend. Mainly will result probably in getting rid of the long sleeve shirts for a bit which is okay. We are in that transitional period where inconsistency is more the norm. Otherwise all is well.

Hope you all have a beautiful day.

Sep 24, 2020 07:17PM MinusTwo wrote:

Cowgirl - about 99% of my pre-cancerous lesions are treated just with freezing. Acitnic keratosis. One or two have to be frozen a second time.

Was actually at a substitute derm doc today. My regular doc has severe asthema and I've had two appointments cancelled since March. New doc wanted to biopsy a spot by my nose where I'd already had MOHS for basal cell. Her thought is it might be a recurrence or a new cancer. I convinced her to freeze the thing first. I'll see my regular derm doc next month - or at least hoping she won't have to take another 'time out' if our virus numbers rise again.

2/15/11 BMX-DCIS 2SNB clear-TEs; 9/15/11-410gummies; 3/20/13 recurrance-5.5cm,mets to lymphs, Stage IIIB IDC ER/PRneg,HER2+; TCH/Perjeta/Neulasta x6; ALND 9/24/13 1/18 nodes 4.5cm; AC chemo 10/30/13 x3; herceptin again; Rads Feb2014

Sep 24, 2020 10:26PM Reader425 wrote:

Hello all my foot has been bothering me since DH and I took a longish hike in a nature preserve last weekend so I did a 30 minute walking video with Leslie Sansone today. I guess more cushioning helped as so far it's good.

Yesterday i felt under the weather and so just rested mostly. I felt guilty but based on today I must have needed that. To listen to my body. Important in all ways.

DH goes back to work Monday after many months not working due to covid. We called it his fake retirement haha. It will be a change for both of us; I'm hoping to get more done around the house than I have been.

Tomorrow my sister who has breast cancer meets with her team to discuss her next treatment steps. She had her lumpectomy 2 weeks ago. She doesn't even know her lymph node status yet. That would have made me crazy but it seems that is how her doctors do it. 🙏 appreciated for her.

Dx 9/11/2014, IDC, Left, 2cm, Stage IA, Grade 3, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (FISH) Surgery 10/28/2014 Lumpectomy: Left Radiation Therapy 1/3/2015 Whole-breast: Breast Hormonal Therapy 2/28/2015 Arimidex (anastrozole)

Sep 24, 2020 10:38PM Wren44 wrote:

Reader, I wish your sister easy treatment plan and a good path report. I'm with you. I want to read every detail and research. Not knowing would really drive me crazy.

Lumpectomy and re-excision followed by mastectomy of right breast. Five years of anastrasole completed.

Sep 25, 2020 12:47AM ChiSandy wrote:

Reader, adding my wishes for your sister for an easy course of treatment and a path report with "indolent" prognostic markers. Petite, hoping your kitty does ok at the vet. My cats have always kept their claws--but we do get them trimmed at the vet. (My first four cats actually let me do the clipping so long as I bribed them with treats--Happy & Heidi are not so chill).

Sep 25, 2020 07:52AM petite1 wrote:

Good morning, ladies. Poor little cat meowed through the trip, but was fine during the examination, nail trim and shots. Both of my cats are indoor cats, but have their claws and need trims. My elder cat is 22 and grows very thick claws. She no longer uses the cat scratcher (or furniture) so they require more maintenance to insure they do not grow into her paws.

Warmer today 75 degrees this morning

Reader, hoping for the best for your sister

Sep 25, 2020 08:27AM IllinoisLady wrote:

We humans think we are smart, but an orchid, for example, knows how to produce noble, symmetrical flowers, and a snail knows how to make a beautiful, well-proportioned shell. Compared with their knowledge, ours is not worth much at all. We should bow deeply before the orchid and the snail and join our palms reverently before the monarch butterfly and the magnolia tree. The feeling of respect for all species will help us to recognize the noblest nature in ourselves. -Thich Nhat Hanh

Sep 25, 2020 08:37AM IllinoisLady wrote:

A lot of cats ( thinking of my what use to be large group ) make lots of 'noise' if they should have to travel to the vets. I'm sure they are anxious just like we are about trips to the Dr. They don't see need of it which I think in most cases is somewhat built into their DNA. They accept life on whatever terms present. Still, even if almost nothing is wrong, most visits are for something good in the end. It may be the cat will never feel/know it all that much, but we know much of why they go is to prevent issues they don't need to have.

Most cats and dogs sit still and behave once they are being examined because un-like us, the Vet presents an authority when they are out of their element so they generally behave unless they are a super aggressive personality.

Going to be another warmer day here. Nice because no humidity and only warmer, not hot. It looks cloudy and may stay that way since rain could come. Seems iffy now, but this time of yr. we can't be real sure.

I hope you all have a fantastic day. Saying hi to all those who aren't posting as much. You are being thought about for sure.

Sep 25, 2020 04:44PM ChiSandy wrote:

Whew, Petite--I had thought you meant you were getting your cat declawed. Glad to hear it was just a "kitti-cure." When I learned years ago that declawing surgery is actually amputation of the first joint of the toe, I vowed never to have it done. A cat with no claws can't defend itself, nor can it get down from a tree; and it tends to be aggressive in other ways. My aunt once had a declawed cat, and it had a habit of swatting and even biting people who walked past it. All the adoption agencies insist that adopters never declaw their cats, and breaking that promise is grounds for confiscation.

Page 1248 of 1,282 (38,444 results)