Join Us

We are 218,613 members in 84 forums discussing 161,137 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: Can we have a forum for "older" people with bc?

Forum: Older Than 60 Years Old With Breast Cancer —

Meet other women who are similar in age and dealing with age-appropriate issues.

Posted on: Feb 7, 2009 06:29PM

Northstar wrote:

I am an "older" woman with breast cancer (I was diagnosed at 65 and am now 66).  I notice that most of the posts seem to be from people younger than I am (often by quite a bit...).   I'd love to "talk" with others my age, exchange info about their diagnoses, effects on their lives, etc.   I see that there is a forum for young women.

Someone suggested that maybe it's that older people aren't so computer-savvy or aren't used to being in online discussion groups.   However, for those who are, it would be great. 

DX 8/15/08, ILC, 5.1 cm, Stage IIb, Grade 1, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-, Oncotype DX 11.

Page 1249 of 1,265 (37,949 results)

Posts 37441 - 37470 (37,949 total)

Sep 25, 2020 08:55PM IllinoisLady wrote:

I totally agree Sandy. We took in a cat that had ALL of the claws removed. Autumn was hissy and pushy for a long time. In her later yrs. with us though she was very loving towards us. We knew to expect different behaviors from her and never really chastised her and always let her decide how she wanted things. For a very long time we had an extra lg. dog crate with her own potty box and food and water. She would roam around the house during the day, but all meals and bathroom breaks and sleeping at night took place in the crate. Her last two yrs. with us she gave up the crate. I'm not sorry we gave her a home and if I were younger I'd probably look for someone just like her because I know I could handle it.

Each day I am thankful for nights that turned into mornings, friends that turned into family, dreams that turned into reality and likes that turned into love. ~~~Elizabeth Kuebler-Ross Dx 9/27/2007, IDC, 5cm, Stage II, Grade 3, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2-

Sep 25, 2020 09:57PM Wren44 wrote:

When I talk to prospective adopters, I go into gruesome detail about what declawing actually does. I also tell them it's illegal in the United Kingdom.

Lumpectomy and re-excision followed by mastectomy of right breast. Five years of anastrasole completed.

Sep 25, 2020 10:49PM IllinoisLady wrote:

Wren I am so glad to hear that. I always looked at Autumn with the idea of how would I like it if someone removed my feet or hands. It would be such a hard adjustment and always feeling something was wrong or missing. For a long time one of my biggest fears was that she would accidentally get out. She seemed to know it was bad for her and never got hear the door when it was open, but I always worried.

Each day I am thankful for nights that turned into mornings, friends that turned into family, dreams that turned into reality and likes that turned into love. ~~~Elizabeth Kuebler-Ross Dx 9/27/2007, IDC, 5cm, Stage II, Grade 3, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2-

Sep 26, 2020 09:25AM IllinoisLady wrote:

Finding the center of strength within ourselves is in the long run the best contribution we can make to our fellow people. . . . One person with indigenous inner strength exercises a great calming effect on panic among people around him or her. This is what our society needs--not new ideas and inventions; important as these are, and not geniuses and superpeople, but persons who can "be", that is, persons who have a center of strength within themselves. -Rollo May, Man's Search for Himself

Sep 26, 2020 09:33AM IllinoisLady wrote:

About 73 today which is almost the perf3ect temp. with no humidity. No sun as yet and maybe it won't come. I have the same long list of things to do but that is okay. Leaves, thin at the moment are building up on the ground. The summer always seems to have flown by at this time. I'll just enjoy it while we wait for the bigger part of Fall to begin. A little different this yr. Covid does change things. We were usually looking forward to the last Weiner roast of the yr. about this time and I think that is on hold for now too.

I hope you all have a really pretty day -- a just right day.

Sep 26, 2020 10:53AM MCBaker wrote:

I finally gave up on co-sleeping with my dog. My sleep reading on fitbit immediately started improving immensely. First night I tossed a treat into his kennel, and he walked right in to get it. Second night, I "poured" him in. Third night, he took his rawhide and toys out and put them in the bedroom, but I returned them to the kennel and put him in without resistance. Last night, he went into the bedroom and installed himself on the bed, waiting for me to go to bed. I put him in with a little bit of resistance. God only knows what will happen tonight. He is hungry for physical contact.

I have been making a series of seven dolls using my sister's wedding dress and my mother's collection of lace edging for her dollmaking. I am getting burned out on the project, and put it all away.

I think I will start writing again, and maybe working on the recipe book. So badly burned out on sewing that I am thinking of putting away my machine.

But right now Tippy is staring at me and scratching my leg. I think we will watch TV for a while.

Mary Dx 10/3/2018, DCIS, Right, 6cm+, Stage 0, Grade 3, ER-/PR- Dx 11/16/2018, IDC, Right, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 1, 0/5 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2+ (IHC) Surgery 11/16/2018 Lymph node removal: Sentinel; Mastectomy: Right; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Targeted Therapy 12/19/2018 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Chemotherapy 12/19/2018 Taxol (paclitaxel) Surgery 6/28/2019 Reconstruction (right): Fat grafting, Saline implant

Sep 26, 2020 11:51AM Betrayal wrote:

MCBaker: Have you thought of putting an older piece of clothing/throw that you no longer wear or use but has your scent on it in his crate? That may help with is need for physical contact. I know they use this method for dogs with separation anxiety (when owners used to go to work).

Surgery 2/1/2016 Lumpectomy: Left Surgery 2/1/2016 Lymph node removal: Sentinel Surgery 3/4/2016 Lumpectomy: Left Radiation Therapy 3/31/2016 Whole-breast: Breast Hormonal Therapy 6/25/2016 Arimidex (anastrozole) Hormonal Therapy 5/19/2017 Femara (letrozole) Hormonal Therapy 6/16/2020 Aromasin (exemestane)

Sep 26, 2020 02:09PM MCBaker wrote:

Thanks for the suggestion. I already knew about that, and started looking for something, but then realized that his kennel is right by my laundry cart, so I think that is already taken care of.

Mary Dx 10/3/2018, DCIS, Right, 6cm+, Stage 0, Grade 3, ER-/PR- Dx 11/16/2018, IDC, Right, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 1, 0/5 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2+ (IHC) Surgery 11/16/2018 Lymph node removal: Sentinel; Mastectomy: Right; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Targeted Therapy 12/19/2018 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Chemotherapy 12/19/2018 Taxol (paclitaxel) Surgery 6/28/2019 Reconstruction (right): Fat grafting, Saline implant

Sep 26, 2020 04:17PM Betrayal wrote:

Can he cuddle with your laundry cart? It's not just the scent, it is also the ability to have physical contact with an item.

Surgery 2/1/2016 Lumpectomy: Left Surgery 2/1/2016 Lymph node removal: Sentinel Surgery 3/4/2016 Lumpectomy: Left Radiation Therapy 3/31/2016 Whole-breast: Breast Hormonal Therapy 6/25/2016 Arimidex (anastrozole) Hormonal Therapy 5/19/2017 Femara (letrozole) Hormonal Therapy 6/16/2020 Aromasin (exemestane)

Sep 26, 2020 11:18PM Reader425 wrote:

Illinois I love Rollo May. Good quote. 👍

MC and Betrayal my first kitty came with a worn sweatshirt of the prior owner in the kennel. Really helped Natey adjust to not having her around and to get used to his new home.

Thank you all for your kind words and thoughts 🙏 for my sister. Her way forward after she heals from her lumpectomy looks to only "maybe" include radiation and definitely not include chemo. She and I are very grateful.

Have a great rest of your weekend. 🤗

Dx 9/11/2014, IDC, Left, 2cm, Stage IA, Grade 3, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (FISH) Surgery 10/29/2014 Lumpectomy: Left Radiation Therapy 1/3/2015 Whole-breast: Breast Hormonal Therapy 2/28/2015 Arimidex (anastrozole)

Sep 26, 2020 11:57PM ChiSandy wrote:

Tried to get a flu shot at Walgreen's, but the clerk at the pharmacy counter ran my Medicare & BCBS cards and said that my birthdate didn't match Medicare's records (and that BCBS no longer contracts with Walgreen's for flu shots). I did a live chat with Medicare and they said I DID give the birthdate they had on file, and confirmed with Social Security that my Medicare number is also correct. I bet the clerk made a typo on the Medicare number. I will just have to suck it up and go to NorthShore's "flu clinic" in Skokie.

Went to Warby Parker for my eye exam (everything but dilated retina exam). The optometrist was young eye candy, even with his mask on. The exam was the most thorough non-dilated exam I've ever had. He said that he could see no residual sutures nor damage from the brachytherapy plaque in my R eye, but he could see the floater (and slight vitreous detachment) in my L. I learned that part of the trouble I've had reading is that my reading glasses--same diopters as the "add" in my progressives--are too strong! He explained that single-vision readers needn't be as strong as the limited-area in progressives. I was able to get the lenses in my readers replaced (sending them out to the lab in upstate NY) for $50! He suggested that in the meantime, I get some drugstore readers in +2.0 for close work, especially the double-acrostic puzzles I love to do as a distraction. So my trip to Walgreen's was good for something after all.

I also got new progressive shades, replaced the progressive lenses in the last Warbys I got (right now, wearing an older prescription because the coating on the pair I got in Oct. 2019 (ordered in March, but had to send them back twice due to breakage and then a lens defect) from my old ophtho's in-office boutique has begun to get blotchy (yes, the pricy Essilor package)! Those Warbys will be my spare pair at home--no photochromics, but blue-blocking instead. For my main pair, I splurged on a purple-tortoise pair with silver accents--and those are photochromic. I should have everything delivered in about two weeks.

Judy, have you tried Spirit Elephant in Winnetka? (On Green Bay Rd., down the street from Graeter's Ice Cream). It's vegan (with some ovo-lacto options) and mostly gluten-free, and ABC7's "Hungry Hound" featured it tonight. My mouth was watering! They have a huge patio, and there will be heaters and a canopy until winter gets untenable.

Diagnosed at 64 on routine annual mammo, no lump. OncotypeDX 16. I cried because I had no shoes...but then again, I won’t get blisters.... Dx 9/9/2015, IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (IHC) Surgery 9/22/2015 Lumpectomy: Right Radiation Therapy 11/1/2015 3DCRT: Breast Hormonal Therapy 12/30/2015 Femara (letrozole)

Sep 27, 2020 08:11AM - edited Sep 27, 2020 01:00PM by keywestfan

Sandy, I'm learning so much here. I just go to my wonderful opthomologist in Skokie for eye exams. He did my cataracts too, I never heard of Warby Parker. Will get flu shot in drive through at PCP's office in Winnetka on Oct. 15.

Love The Barn, but am going for very early old peoples' pre Yom Kippur dinner at Avli tonight because it's DH's favorite and it's his birthday and because I'm nervous about my mammo and ultrasound tomorrow( scheduled a year ago when I didn't know tomorrow was a High Holiday.) No reason,other than the obvious to be anxious, but I might as well live today and eat well, just in case.

My son, who is vegetarian, though not vegan, also told me about Spirit Elephant and we went there right before the lockdown in March. Was so surprised that in Winnetka, a vegan restaurant would be jammed packed with a 2 hour wait. We just avoided that going at 5. It is unusual and excellent, all kinds of black rice Oriental bowls and a marvellous grilled cheese sandwhich for my 11 year old grandson, made of walnuts, which he hated, but I loved. We order out from there quite a bit and always a line, which will be more so, I bet, after ABC's publicity. Have heard about, but not been, on the patio, But will try

Anastrozole June 2019 Dx 2/14/2019, IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, ER+/PR+, HER2- (IHC) Surgery 3/24/2019 Lumpectomy: Right Radiation Therapy 4/30/2019 Hormonal Therapy

Sep 27, 2020 09:32AM IllinoisLady wrote:

To keep our faces toward change and behave like free spirits in the presence of fate is strength undefeatable.
-Helen Keller

Sep 27, 2020 09:35AM petite1 wrote:

Good morning, ladies. It is 76 degrees and feels like Summer. Both my little cats are social and love watching TV with us. Purr purr purr. Many years ago I adopted a big cat from the pound. He had been declawed and he would bite as a game, but sometimes broke skin. He was big and had a big mouth with big teeth. His favorite was to pounce on me as I stuck a foot out of the shower. Needless to say he was soon locked out of the bathroom and the master bedroom.

reader, that is good to hear.

petite Dx 8/23/2019, ILC/IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/7 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2- Radiation Therapy 10/20/2019 Whole-breast: Breast Hormonal Therapy 12/19/2019 Arimidex (anastrozole)

Sep 27, 2020 09:39AM IllinoisLady wrote:

Keywestfan, Happy Birthday to your other wonderful half. Glad you will have a dinner out -- and yes, splurge it up. We are all so held in by the fear of covid. I hope you have a marvelous time. Sandy, you are a fount of knowledge which does help everyone so much. I'm still getting my glasses from Walmart. Mainly due to its being local and pretty affordable. I will have to go to the V.A. though to get tested this yr. I don't feel like I've had any change but since I've had my current glasses a bit over two yrs. I need to make sure.

As well, I think some glasses hold up better than others and is one of the biggest reasons I started using Walmart. I had my old glasses for a bit over 7n yrs. and they were getting almost brittle. Seemed like every few months I would need some sort of adjustment.

Should be a nice non-humid day here and plenty warm enough not to have to layer after the morning time.

Hope you all have a beautiful day.

Sep 27, 2020 10:22AM carolehalston wrote:

It seems the MN weather is advising us to head south! Yesterday was mainly overcast with some light rain. We drove to Bemidji to use a rebate credit at Menard's, a store we do not have in Louisiana. We marveled at the beautiful leaf colors. I bought a mask that I really like.

Today it's gloomy outside again and that trend is supposed to continue next week with cool/cold temperatures. I have a hair appointment on Tuesday for a cut. We have decided to depart on Thursday. Sadly I am not excited about resuming everyday life at home in this Covid world. I may be more limited in getting out and about than I have been here where Covid cases were so few. At least we will be confined in a larger home space where there are always things to do. If nothing else, clean out closets!

Happy Sunday.

Nipple-Sparing BMX w/Alloderm & Silicone Implants 7/24/09, Oncotype Dx 9, No Chemo, No Rads, Arimidex Dx 6/25/2009, IDC, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 3, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Sep 27, 2020 01:01PM keywestfan wrote:

Thank you, Jackie- you always, one way or the other, make me feel so much better.

Anastrozole June 2019 Dx 2/14/2019, IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, ER+/PR+, HER2- (IHC) Surgery 3/24/2019 Lumpectomy: Right Radiation Therapy 4/30/2019 Hormonal Therapy

Sep 27, 2020 01:04PM IllinoisLady wrote:

Wow !! Carole that will be difficult to have to give up the possibly of decent ( is it great anywhere ) freedom by coming home. Well, you are right. There will be more space at home and anything that has been an avoided chore at home maybe would actually get done. None of us dreamed that we'd be doing some of the things we do because we just are not able to roam about as we once did. I am not much of a shopper so generally never went to a store just for window shopping so to speak, but on occasion if I was in the area I might. These restrictions might be a little easier for us who are a bit older. We have all accepted that we are not invincible while many of the younger people haven't gotten there yet.

Also, almost all of us in one way or other -- even if just age, have strikes against us. I hope we can loosen up a good deal if we are able to get a GOOD vaccine, but that is going to be awhile. Since I've always been happy as a home body I think it is easier for me as well as the fact that I'm able to live in a sparsely populated little area of town while being about two miles from town. I try to remember to appreciate that I can step out my door and take a long walk w/o having to confront another person. If I do they are usually friends who have been ( we are all similar in age ) as cautious and Dh and I try to be.

Wishing you well with your this upcoming week as you prepare to travel back home.

Sep 27, 2020 04:27PM Taco1946 wrote:

I have had no success at getting motivated about those "little jobs." Seems as if the less I have to do, the harder it is to do it. Finally dropped the "get out the vote" postcards I was assigned a month ago when we walked Mutz this morning.

Still over 100 every day. Not thinking about "fall" at all here. Would love to go north for a few days but AZ still is having over 500 cases a day. 10th in the country in per capita so we'll stay put.

Dx 11/22/2016, IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+ Radiation Therapy 12/29/2016 Balloon-catheter: Breast Chemotherapy 2/3/2017 Taxol (paclitaxel) Targeted Therapy 2/3/2017 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Hormonal Therapy 12/4/2017 Femara (letrozole) Surgery Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Sentinel, Underarm/Axillary Targeted Therapy

Sep 27, 2020 07:10PM ChiSandy wrote:

Judy, you will get a divine dispensation (if there's such a thing in Judaism) for getting your mammo & doctors' appts. on Yom Kippur. Remember that "pikuach nefesh"--preservation of life--is a paramount mitzvah. I had my lumpectomy on Yom Kippur--and my "breaking the fast" (as well as my first meal after being NPO since the night before) was a mini-bagel & schmear. (Gotta love Evanston Hosp.).

Warby Parker was originally started by a couple of young enterpreneurs who were fed up with the "Luxottica" (one guy in Italy, not even a publicly-traded co.) monopoly on almost all optical shop chains and eyeglass brands, with prices to match. They began as "disruptors," online-only; sending out up to 5 pr. of frames for customers to try on and return, picking one they liked and sending in their prescriptions. All their glasses were designed and the lenses ground & inserted in the U.S., with all the frames made in China. Eventually, they began opening boutiques, and w/in the past couple of years offering on-site optometrist exams. They also have their own brand of contacts. Their acetate frames are $95, including plain anti-UV single-vision (reading or distance) lenses; there's a $50 upcharge for blue-blocking, $100 extra for Transitions (which actually block more blue light than the blue-blocking coating), and $200 for progressives (digital free-form). So a pair of clear progressives starts at $295, blue-blocking progressives $345, and Transitions progressives $395. Sunglasses start at $95 for nonprescription, $145 for single vision, and are inherently blue-blocking; some frames are as much as $195 with single-vision lenses. My progressive shades are $345.

Their metal frames (which run $145-195 for single-vision) are now made in either Japan or Italy. Once our ophthalmologist sold his practice and optical shop, and then retired, Bob & I both get our glasses at Warby Parker. So does Gordy now (though he goes the online route).

BTW, the founders decided to become "disruptors" in the luggage industry, and started Away luggage.

Diagnosed at 64 on routine annual mammo, no lump. OncotypeDX 16. I cried because I had no shoes...but then again, I won’t get blisters.... Dx 9/9/2015, IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (IHC) Surgery 9/22/2015 Lumpectomy: Right Radiation Therapy 11/1/2015 3DCRT: Breast Hormonal Therapy 12/30/2015 Femara (letrozole)

Sep 27, 2020 07:16PM Cowgirl13 wrote:

It's 90 today in SF and supposed to be 99 tomorrow. It never used to be this hot and I have lived here for over 50 years. If it gets close to 90 in my bedroom tonight or tomorrow I'm going to stay at one of my petsitting client's houses. One of the houses has air conditioning! I'm currently petsitting for 3 cats so it's very timely. Oh, another fast burning fire in the Napa Valley area. Started at 4:30 am. I just can't believe it.

On a happy note, I was able to find a home for one of the rescue birds from the fires. Facebook is good for some things...because i was reading a friend's post on FB I found out that she was looking for a cockatiel because one of her cockatiels died and his mate was so sad. Also, the neighborhood website, NestDoor, is also good for something...because I saw a post from someone was looking for a home for a cockatiel. So I called my friend to see if she was still looking for a cockatiel and she said yes, that she was desperate for find a mate for her bird. So that's late yesterday afternoon and today I delivered the bird to her. She was so thrilled and I was so happy for the bird. The bird obviously had had a good home and wasn't scared at all. She sat as close to me in her cage as she could instead of sitting way over to the other side. The bird will have a very happy home and be so loved. So, yes, miracles do happenHeart

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the Devil says: 'Oh crap! She's up! Dx 5/28/2009, IDC, Left, 2cm, Stage IIA, Grade 3, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+ Surgery 6/17/2009 Chemotherapy 8/2/2009 Carboplatin (Paraplatin), Taxotere (docetaxel) Radiation Therapy 12/21/2009 Hormonal Therapy 2/22/2010 Arimidex (anastrozole)

Sep 27, 2020 08:22PM Betrayal wrote:

What a nice ending for the rescue bird, the bereaved bird and your friend. Smile

Sep 27, 2020 08:34PM - edited Sep 27, 2020 08:35PM by CindyNY

Cowgirl - so nice matching up the bird needing a home with someone looking for a bird. That's a good feeling!

We're having a bit of warm weather for a few days. I was in a quandry - do I put everything "summer" away now while it's warm, or enjoy everything until it's truly over. I left it all! Worse case scenario, I'll need to wear winter clothing when it comes time to close up.

I see my GYN tomorrow, my foot Dr on Tuesday (new orthotic mold), and my eye Dr on Friday (yrly eye dilation). We cram Drs into October in anticipation of FL snow birding. No FL this year until maybe January - FL gov is opening up everything, wants football stadiums full, so maybe not in January either. WHAT a year.

For Yom Kippur, may you have an easy fast.

dx at 58, no family history, onco = 19 Dx 10/6/2017, DCIS/IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/5 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 11/1/2017 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Surgery 11/14/2017 Lumpectomy: Left Radiation Therapy 12/26/2017 Whole-breast: Breast Hormonal Therapy 3/1/2018 Arimidex (anastrozole)

Sep 27, 2020 11:42PM ChiSandy wrote:

You too, Cindy & Judy. An easy and contemplative fast for those of us observing Yom Kippur--but do be mindful of your health.

Sep 28, 2020 09:24AM IllinoisLady wrote:

Judging others will avail you nothing and injure you spiritually. Only if you can inspire others to judge themselves will anything worthwhile have been accomplished. When you approach others in judgment they will be on the defensive. When you are able to approach them in a kindly, loving manner without judgment they will tend to judge themselves and be transformed. -Peace Pilgrim

Sep 28, 2020 09:32AM IllinoisLady wrote:

Woke up to rain that had apparently been going on most of the night. Since my ears are not what they use to be I was very much un-aware. It will stay cool today -- mid- 60's. Seems we are going to be there for a few days. It is typical of Fall weather even if I'm not totally ready.

Nothing special planned. Some bills waiting to go out. Otherwise just the regular work.

I'm starting to be able to pet one of the kitties ( outdoor ) in Sandoval. They were the first born of this Spring. The one I'm petting I named ( almost immediately ) Sassy. She/he - more likely a she, was highly curious and un-like the others never automatically ran when I came out to feed. She watched me pet her mother several times and I knew she was ready when she voluntarily brushed against my leg. Semi-feral kitties/cats always have to make the first move and usually only then can you attempt touching/petting. I have petted her now about three of four times. Not too much though. After I ignore her and just act as though nothing happened. It is very satisfying.

I hope you all will be able to enjoy good weather ( not too hot or cold or rainy ) and have a really good day. I hope I can make mine productive.

Sep 28, 2020 10:40AM petite1 wrote:

Good morning, ladies. Light rain this morning. We still have a couple rentals (our retirement job) and the floor in one of the bathrooms fell in. Our contractor can't get out until Weds. The renters do have another bathroom. Landlord life. We started out with 11 houses and now down to 3. We sold most of them when I got the BC diagnosis. I did not want the additional stress.

petite Dx 8/23/2019, ILC/IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/7 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2- Radiation Therapy 10/20/2019 Whole-breast: Breast Hormonal Therapy 12/19/2019 Arimidex (anastrozole)

Sep 28, 2020 03:23PM ChiSandy wrote:

Showers overnight and again just now. Chilly--low 60s--but not as cold as later in the week, where we may struggle to make it as high as the mid-50s. The rain was sorely needed--landscaper turned off the sprinkler timer the last time it rained, and we now have some brown patches on the lawn after 10 dry days in a row. He never showed us how to turn it back on and reset the timer. My zucchini plant finally made one baby squash--hope it matures enough for us to pick before the critters discover it.

Was able to get my flu shot at CVS yesterday--in & out in 10 min. Arm was a bit sore by nightfall but fine now.

Taking a break right now from online Yom Kippur services--afternoon starts back up at 3:15. They're much shorter than in-person, mainly because they had to be pre-recorded, mixed and edited (they started back in Aug.). I couldn't volunteer to take part (blessings, ark-opening, etc,) in the recordings, because at the time I had the big lead patch on my eye, and then even with no patch my R eye was not ready for public viewing. But the services turned out fantastic--including even Jeff Tweedy (leader of Grammy-winning rock band Wilco) and his two sons singing one of the hymns, with wife Susan behind the camera. (Yes, they're temple members--we are so lucky to have them).

It was a bit weird to see the chat scrolling along the side, with greetings & comments by the rabbi & cantor in real time. At one point last night, there were over 300 people logged in, from all over the country. And I discovered this morning my TV has YouTube built in! No way to do live chat on it, of course, but I can always mute the audio on the computer and type while I watch live on TV. I watched archived morning services (slept in because of fasting), but will do the rest live, till the last blast of the Shofar and the subsequent Kiddush (blessing over wine & bread, which I'll have at the ready), Havdalah blessings & celebration. That will still end during daylignt, but we are a Reform congregation after all. (Not doing between-services Bible study on Zoom because I don't want to be visible in my PJs).

Sep 28, 2020 05:45PM keywestfan wrote:

A good, great beginning to the New Year, though I did not fast, but admiring of you, as always, Sandy. Did listen to Barbra Streisand, who DH dislikes singing,“Avenu Malkeinu.” Then went off to Evanston Hospital for my dreaded mammo and ultrasound. The breast center was crowded and, of course, I got more and more nervous. The technician was so nice and kind; went to show the pictures to the radiologist, came back after 20 minutes looking a bit bleak and said they need two more shots. My pulse jumped to 127, usually 58. She came back after another 20 minutes and said,” I have good news and better news. Which do you want first?” I opted for the better which was that I didn’t need an ultrasound; the good news was, “Go celebrate, see you in a year.” So happy that life hasn’t turned once again on a dime and it seems I might be written in the Book of Life.

Sep 28, 2020 06:30PM - edited Sep 28, 2020 06:38PM by ChiSandy

Mazel tov, Judy! My turn isn't till Dec. (though I do see Dr. Law & get labs drawn next week). But it was a relief to get that flu shot under my (virtual) belt and into my arm. One more reminder scrubbed from my patient portal. Meanwhile, just made an initial appt. for Nov. 14 (not sure if it'll be telephone or in-person) with the N.Shore Lincolnwood primary care doc my gyn recommened.

Chicago just slightly relaxed its COVID restrictions: as of Thurs. 10/1, bars can serve indoors, restaurants & gyms can increase from 25% to 40% (or 50 patrons, whichever is less), and salons can do facials, shaves and other services below the mask line (allowing temporary mask removal). But social distancing and mask requirements will remain in place. Still doesn't make me feel more comfy with dining inside. (I don't get facials anyway). I have a feeling that within a couple of weeks, those relaxations will likely be reconsidered. (Note: this is only for Chicago, not statewide, which in some counties & towns may be stricter).

Well, YouTube services ended with the shofar blast at 4:30. Havdalah isn't till 6:30 (likely sunset). So unlike previous years (especially my time in Seattle, when everyone chowed down in the temple lobby at 4:15), sticking it out with my fast till then. Will have to try to record my Bar Show solo, though--gotta send it in by tomorrow. I hate rehearsing and especially recording when anyone else is in the house. So, gathering up my headphones, iPhone (for recording), iPad (the old one with an audio jack for playback of the orchestral scratch track), sheet music & Scotch tape and heading up to my bedroom closet. (Insert tasteless joke here).

Page 1249 of 1,265 (37,949 results)