Join Us

We are 218,613 members in 84 forums discussing 161,137 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: Can we have a forum for "older" people with bc?

Forum: Older Than 60 Years Old With Breast Cancer —

Meet other women who are similar in age and dealing with age-appropriate issues.

Posted on: Feb 7, 2009 04:29PM

Northstar wrote:

I am an "older" woman with breast cancer (I was diagnosed at 65 and am now 66).  I notice that most of the posts seem to be from people younger than I am (often by quite a bit...).   I'd love to "talk" with others my age, exchange info about their diagnoses, effects on their lives, etc.   I see that there is a forum for young women.

Someone suggested that maybe it's that older people aren't so computer-savvy or aren't used to being in online discussion groups.   However, for those who are, it would be great. 

DX 8/15/08, ILC, 5.1 cm, Stage IIb, Grade 1, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-, Oncotype DX 11.

Page 1250 of 1,265 (37,949 results)

Posts 37471 - 37500 (37,949 total)

Sep 28, 2020 08:37PM - edited Sep 28, 2020 08:39PM by CindyNY

Keywestfan - good news on mammo! Much relief to get it behind you. I'm scheduled on October 5th for mammo & ultrasound.

Petite1- I know bathroom problems, so I feel for you. Getting work done is a challenge.

I had good news from GYN. My cervix looked good, no bleeding. That's behind me!

We're still at 71 this late at night (10:36 PM). We had some nice temps for 4 days. Rains head this way, it's needed but I still don't have to like it.

dx at 58, no family history, onco = 19 Dx 10/6/2017, DCIS/IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/5 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 11/1/2017 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Surgery 11/14/2017 Lumpectomy: Left Radiation Therapy 12/26/2017 Whole-breast: Breast Hormonal Therapy 3/1/2018 Arimidex (anastrozole)

Sep 28, 2020 10:52PM - edited Sep 29, 2020 12:22AM by ChiSandy

Well, just when I thought 2020 couldn't get any worse, about 90 minutes ago my cats came meowing to me in the front room--I got up and smelled the strong odor of skunk! (No, they didn't get sprayed--they're strictly indoor). Odd thing, is I don't smell it outside. I cracked as many windows that have screens as I could, and turned the AC on even though it's in the 50s outside (or so my Apple watch says). I'm smelling it in the front of the house--first floor (up 8 steps from the street) and basement. I called a wildlife removal service, and they said that usually means the skunk sprayed the foundation--but if that were the case, I would be smelling it outside but I'm not. Bob just came home and said it smells "chemical-y" or "rubber-y." Our eyes are beginning to burn slightly (and now my throat a little). I checked the stove (which is in the back), water heater, and boiler downstairs--there doesn't seem to be a gas leak. I searched and searched for holes in the front room walls and basement ceiling and can't seem to find anything but the smell! I am beside myself. The wildlife removal guy said he could have someone here tonight, but that they likely wouldn't be able to do anything tonight if there is no visible critter to be caught--and it would be $225 extra compared to waiting till tomorrow. They will call me in the morning to get some more info and set up a visit tomorrow to spend some time looking (and if they find burrow holes, investigate and set Havaheart traps). I don't know how we can hold out!

Gas company just came out and ruled out a leak, but said they could smell skunk odor on my porch (through their masks), which I couldn't earlier, sans mask. Hoping it was from outside--the AC seemed to be starting to blow it back in. Using air freshener helps a little--maybe some vinegar in the morning.

Diagnosed at 64 on routine annual mammo, no lump. OncotypeDX 16. I cried because I had no shoes...but then again, I won’t get blisters.... Dx 9/9/2015, IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (IHC) Surgery 9/22/2015 Lumpectomy: Right Radiation Therapy 11/1/2015 3DCRT: Breast Hormonal Therapy 12/30/2015 Femara (letrozole)

Sep 29, 2020 05:05AM keywestfan wrote:

Oh, Sandy, I know what you mean. When I was widowed and living in my beloved Cape Cod home right before I met Gil, I smelled this terrible smell in the first floor master bedroom. I had no idea, knew zilch about skunks. I kept waiting for the smell to go away. This went on for a few days. Mira, my Siamese, Leila, the Burmese, were beside themselves.I was sleepless in Glencoe.Finally some friend told me to call Animal Control at the Village Hall. When I did they had me call some place in Northbrooj which did finally come. There were 3 skunks kiving under the foundation, right below m first floor master bedroom window. What a nightmare, but not as bad as the rabbit which is another story for another time. But, today, your problem will be solved

Anastrozole June 2019 Dx 2/14/2019, IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, ER+/PR+, HER2- (IHC) Surgery 3/24/2019 Lumpectomy: Right Radiation Therapy 4/30/2019 Hormonal Therapy

Sep 29, 2020 05:44AM petite1 wrote:

Good morning, ladies. Nice morning 73 degrees and showers this afternoon. Those shunk stories are interesting. I never had to deal with that. PHEW.

petite Dx 8/23/2019, ILC/IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/7 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2- Radiation Therapy 10/20/2019 Whole-breast: Breast Hormonal Therapy 12/19/2019 Arimidex (anastrozole)

Sep 29, 2020 06:11AM - edited Sep 29, 2020 06:14AM by CindyNY

Sandy - I've had skunks under a front porch, but they didn't live there - just used it as a "panic room." Apppatently they can have many burrows along their route. We found out when a neighbor said they saw one go in under the side of the porch. I'm hoping yours is a similar situation. My neighborhood is full of skunk - they dig up lawns for grubs.

But when my pool gave way, it flooded 3 skunks out from under the garage. Thankfully they have not returned.

dx at 58, no family history, onco = 19 Dx 10/6/2017, DCIS/IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/5 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 11/1/2017 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Surgery 11/14/2017 Lumpectomy: Left Radiation Therapy 12/26/2017 Whole-breast: Breast Hormonal Therapy 3/1/2018 Arimidex (anastrozole)

Sep 29, 2020 07:26AM IllinoisLady wrote:

The moment you want to make progress is the moment you become an eternal beginner. The dawn is the beginning of a new day: it symbolizes hope, illumination, and perfection. Every day the dawn plays the role of the beginner. It begins its journey at daybreak and ends its journey in the infinite sun. If you can feel that your whole being—your body, vitality, mind and soul—represents the ever-blossoming dawn, then you will always remain an eternal beginner. -Sri Chimnoy

Each day I am thankful for nights that turned into mornings, friends that turned into family, dreams that turned into reality and likes that turned into love. ~~~Elizabeth Kuebler-Ross Dx 9/27/2007, IDC, 5cm, Stage II, Grade 3, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2-

Sep 29, 2020 07:31AM IllinoisLady wrote:

Another really cool day here -- low 60's. Sweatshirt day again. Sandy, I do not envy you and hope this is resolved asap. I can't imagine. A time or two we have smelled a bit of skunk, but I think they were mainly passing through and it was far enough out in the yard that it did not have a lasting quality to it. We have two acres here. So -- now that I know -- I will hope that they ( any skunks ) really do stay on the peripheries of our property.

I'm grateful for today. Hope it is a good one for everyone. Thinking of you for sure Sandy. Saying hi to everyone else.

Each day I am thankful for nights that turned into mornings, friends that turned into family, dreams that turned into reality and likes that turned into love. ~~~Elizabeth Kuebler-Ross Dx 9/27/2007, IDC, 5cm, Stage II, Grade 3, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2-

Sep 29, 2020 11:22AM ChiSandy wrote:

No smell this a.m., thank goodness. Animal removal service called and said that it was almost certainly an "outside spray," most likely the skunk getting spooked by a coyote (there's a colony by the firehouse a few blocks away), and some of the squirt hit the foundation. If it happens again, it would be at night since skunks are nocturnal; the service would come out and look for holes or burrows and set humane traps.

Definitiley sweatshirt weather. If we dine out tonight, layer a down vest over it--Bob likes dining outdoors. Warm enough in the house that I can still hang out in my short-sleeve scrubs. Once restaurants can start having 40% rather than 25% of capacity, I'd (ironically) feel less safe dining indoors.

Recorded last night and e-mailed the tracks to the music director. Not in my best voice, but it IS a comedy number, and my acting was more important than pitch (he has Auto-Tune anyway). Waiting to hear if he wants me to do another pair of recordings an octave down, since there'll be only one other alto (who doesn't have a solo). I suspect he'll want that for the second track, which is ensemble-only. Hoping the basement-rehabbing crew next door can finish in time for me to re-record: the banging and machines are audible even in the closet. (Come to think of it, all that work next door might have dislodged a skunk den).

Diagnosed at 64 on routine annual mammo, no lump. OncotypeDX 16. I cried because I had no shoes...but then again, I won’t get blisters.... Dx 9/9/2015, IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (IHC) Surgery 9/22/2015 Lumpectomy: Right Radiation Therapy 11/1/2015 3DCRT: Breast Hormonal Therapy 12/30/2015 Femara (letrozole)

Sep 29, 2020 02:33PM Beaverntx wrote:

Sandy, good news that the stink is gone and hoping it does not return!

Diagnosed at age 77-- Oncotype 17, dealing with this bump in the road of life!!🎆 Dx 1/24/2018, IDC, Right, 2cm, Stage IB, Grade 3, 0/9 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (IHC) Dx 1/30/2018, DCIS, Right, <1cm, Stage 0 Surgery 1/30/2018 Lumpectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Right, Sentinel Radiation Therapy 3/11/2018 Whole-breast: Breast Surgery 6/15/2018 Prophylactic ovary removal Hormonal Therapy 6/19/2018 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone)

Sep 29, 2020 03:54PM ChiSandy wrote:

Yup! Hoping that the critter moves on to wherever un-populated place it feels secure. I wouldn't wish it on anyone.

I did have a "plumbing adventure" today, though--pricy but not serious. We have a combo showerhead--handheld and stationary. I prefer the handheld because I don't always shampoo when I shower--having long hair can make styling to prevent the frizzies a PITA. But Bob, being a six-footer-plus, likes the stationary one because he shampoos oftener. The diverters (both those between the heads and the tub faucet) started leaking and dripping, including along where they're attached to the lines. I got dinged for the visit, the new parts, the trip to buy the new parts, and labor. I could have tried an unlicensed plumber or even a handyman for half the price, but I've used these guys for 20 years (I've watched their kids grow up and join the family business), they arrive quickly, and they guarantee their work. Another licensed service would have been as or more expensive.

Sep 30, 2020 07:15AM petite1 wrote:

Good morning, ladies. 61 degrees this morning. I had a nice walk. Now we have some guys rescreening the pool cage. Yesterday we did a short adventure to Hernando Beach. Had lunch by the water and drove around looking at beautiful and not so beautiful homes. It was a most pleasant day.

petite Dx 8/23/2019, ILC/IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/7 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2- Radiation Therapy 10/20/2019 Whole-breast: Breast Hormonal Therapy 12/19/2019 Arimidex (anastrozole)

Sep 30, 2020 07:33AM IllinoisLady wrote:

Many people believe that humility is the opposite of pride,
when, in fact, it is a point of equilibrium. The opposite of
pride is actually a lack of self-esteem. A humble person
is totally different from a person who cannot recognize
and appreciate himself as part of this worlds marvels.

Rabino Nilton Bonder

Sep 30, 2020 10:30AM Puffin2014 wrote:

My CT scan after my bowel surgery showed a spot they couldn't ID, ruled out an abscess, radiologist thought an ovarian cyst. When I contacted my surgeon and said when a cancer patient has a 17# unexplained weight loss since Jan and now has a spot they are questioning, how do I know it isn't ovarian cancer instead of an ovarian cyst. His response was to ask my GYN. So I saw a GYN, had a pelvic ultrasound which showed a complex ovarian cyst and the radiologist recommended an MRI with IV contrast if indicated. My GYN ordered a C125 blood test, which elevates in ovarian cancer. I got my results back Monday, normal number, a regular ovarian cyst which we'll follow with ultrasounds to make sure it isn't growing. A relief.

Dx 5/23/2014, IDC, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 6/16/2014 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Left, Sentinel Chemotherapy 7/17/2014 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel) Radiation Therapy 10/13/2014 Breast Hormonal Therapy 11/10/2014 Arimidex (anastrozole)

Sep 30, 2020 10:37AM IllinoisLady wrote:

((((Puffin)))) I can attest -- watching something is a lot better than getting a dx. you may not like. To use an almost worn out phrase, "been there and done that", both ways this past yr.

Sep 30, 2020 12:10PM ChiSandy wrote:

Puffin, a telltale symptom of ovarian CA is abdominal bloating, not necessarily accompanied by weight loss. Glad it was just a cyst. (Even young'uns can get those--I had a burst infected one and a hot appendix at the same time when I was 13).

Our next-door neighbors are tearing their basement apart. They took on a lot of water during June thunderstorms and suffered mold. The jackhammers are going nonstop all day through Sat. and their trucks blocking our alley (and sometimes our garage door). I'm almost certain that's what disturbed a skunk den Mon., so when the coyote trotted by, Pepe LePew had nowhere to retreat so he let loose against our low retaining wall. My cats are on watch for mice seeking refuge indoors.

Bar Show choreography Zoom rehearsal tonight--might work, might be a dumpster fire, we shall see. Glad I got the recordings done & submitted before the jackhammers got going.

Sep 30, 2020 04:00PM MCBaker wrote:

That was an entertaining dumpster fire last night, wasn't it? I watched until 8:45, and realized that it couldn't get any worse, so I went to bed.

I have been watching youtube videos on spinning all day. Hopefully, I can teach myself all winter, so by the time hot weather rolls around next spring and I get Tippy sheared, I will be able to spin, at the very least, a black scarf for myself.

Mary Dx 10/3/2018, DCIS, Right, 6cm+, Stage 0, Grade 3, ER-/PR- Dx 11/16/2018, IDC, Right, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 1, 0/5 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2+ (IHC) Surgery 11/16/2018 Lymph node removal: Sentinel; Mastectomy: Right; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Targeted Therapy 12/19/2018 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Chemotherapy 12/19/2018 Taxol (paclitaxel) Surgery 6/28/2019 Reconstruction (right): Fat grafting, Saline implant

Sep 30, 2020 09:41PM CindyNY wrote:

Puffin - We all need to hear some good news, and your news was it!

We had some rain overnight that lasted until mid day. But the sun broke through and we were able to get out for a walk.

Oh these school days wipe me out! A nice break today was a quiet (no zoom class w 100+ kids in it) 20 minute read time. She set her timer to read and I cracked open a book. Heaven in the silence.

May you all get that little slice of quiet time and have a good Thursday.

Oct 1, 2020 01:53AM Gleason1 wrote:

I am 66 and diagnosed with lobular breast cancer, ER PR+ Stage III. I had a lumpectomy in August with sentinel nodes biopsy. Unfortunately the nodes were positive and the margins were not clear so in September had a node dissection and re excision. A riral of 10 nodes our of 25 were positive. I start chemotherapy next week. I'm hoping my age and going through this doesn't lead to disability as I already have arthritis in my knees and shoulders. Chemo and neulasta afterwards can cause joint pain.

Has anyone noticed they had more difficulty walking or severe pain from chemo?

Oct 1, 2020 05:27AM petite1 wrote:

Good morning, ladies. A cool 57 degrees.

Puffin, That's wonderful.

Gleason1, welcome

Oct 1, 2020 06:42AM MCBaker wrote:

Gleason, here is a good thread for your concerns; https://community.breastcancer.org/forum/69/topics/763459?page=74#idx_2198

Mary Dx 10/3/2018, DCIS, Right, 6cm+, Stage 0, Grade 3, ER-/PR- Dx 11/16/2018, IDC, Right, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 1, 0/5 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2+ (IHC) Surgery 11/16/2018 Lymph node removal: Sentinel; Mastectomy: Right; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Targeted Therapy 12/19/2018 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Chemotherapy 12/19/2018 Taxol (paclitaxel) Surgery 6/28/2019 Reconstruction (right): Fat grafting, Saline implant

Oct 1, 2020 07:39AM IllinoisLady wrote:

True religion is real living;
living with all one's soul,
with all one's goodness and righteousness.
- Albert Einstein

Oct 1, 2020 07:40AM IllinoisLady wrote:

Welcome Gleason. Please feel free to come and share after you have checked out the thread MCBaker provided. We jump in pockets easily here.

Oct 1, 2020 08:54AM Puffin2014 wrote:

Welcome Gleason.

Dx 5/23/2014, IDC, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 6/16/2014 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Left, Sentinel Chemotherapy 7/17/2014 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel) Radiation Therapy 10/13/2014 Breast Hormonal Therapy 11/10/2014 Arimidex (anastrozole)

Oct 1, 2020 08:36PM Taco1946 wrote:

Gleason - Welcome to the club none of us want to join. If you go to profile and check public after each entry, we will be able to see your diagnosis and treatment plan and help you more.

I was 70 when I was diagnosed. Had already had achelies heel and carpal tunnel surgery and lots of arthritis. Since then I have also had a knee replacement. Joint pain is a frequent complaint on chemo (you didn't say what you would be getting). Try generic Claritin (non-D). I also do Calcium with Vitamin D and gloucosimine and chrondrotin. My MO added turmeric. Many MO's use gaberpentin for neuropathy and my neurologist upped the dosage significantly from what MO prescribed. I didn't need a walker except after the knee surgery. I did buy a cane with a fold down seat for times when I would be out for a long time. (I had expected to take it with me to Egypt this spring but of course that trip didn't happen). I did take it to the Jan. Women's March. I like the idea of hiking poles that was suggested on the other thread. Plan to walk as much as you can.

Since you are TP, I assume you will be getting Herceptin. I had no trouble with that but it is a long slog. I was glad I had a port put in but that certainly is a personal choice. I also recommend that you join a thread that says "starting chemo Oct 2020". My group was fantastic. We had a private Facebook page and laughed and cried together. Still check in occasionally 4 years later.

This group of "older" women are chatty as you can see and we will try to support you in your journey.

Good news, Puffin. Sandy, did you ever get your final path report? Or did I miss it?

Have a safe weekend everyone.

Dx 11/22/2016, IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+ Radiation Therapy 12/29/2016 Balloon-catheter: Breast Chemotherapy 2/3/2017 Taxol (paclitaxel) Targeted Therapy 2/3/2017 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Hormonal Therapy 12/4/2017 Femara (letrozole) Surgery Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Sentinel, Underarm/Axillary Targeted Therapy

Oct 1, 2020 10:21PM Betrayal wrote:

Taco1946: So sorry to hear you did not get to take your trip to Egypt as planned. We planned our trip (land and Nile cruise) for early January so we did get to go. It had been on my bucket list since a previous trip was canceled due to political unrest in Egypt many years ago. It was a bucket list item so I was glad that I was able to cross it off. I am hoping that you will get the opportunity to complete this in the future. I will advise you that if you decide to ride a camel, which I did, it is not until they stand up that you realize just how far the drop to the ground is. They are notoriously cranky and bite so when the one behind me kept coming up to sniff me I will admit it was a tad scary. The rider behind me was a young teenager who kept teasing that the was camel "in love" with me and I just kept talking to him as a distraction. Dismounting is fun as well since they lower their front legs first so you have to lean back to avoid pitching over their heads. I do not regret taking the ride for a minute but have to admit it was not a well thought out plan. It was everything I thought it was going to be and then some including a (long ride) side trip to Abu Simbel.

Surgery 2/1/2016 Lumpectomy: Left Surgery 2/1/2016 Lymph node removal: Sentinel Surgery 3/4/2016 Lumpectomy: Left Radiation Therapy 3/31/2016 Whole-breast: Breast Hormonal Therapy 6/25/2016 Arimidex (anastrozole) Hormonal Therapy 5/19/2017 Femara (letrozole) Hormonal Therapy 6/16/2020 Aromasin (exemestane)

Oct 2, 2020 04:07AM petite1 wrote:

Good morning, ladies. Husband and my little cat woke me up too early to tell me the President and First Lady have tested positive for COVID-19. Now they are back to sleep. Funny how that happens. 59 degrees this morning. It certainly has been pleasant. Yesterday, I went to breakfast one of my friends and we took a nice long walk. It was wonderful. This is laundry day, so nothing planned for today. Everyone have a pleasant day.

Oct 2, 2020 07:09AM IllinoisLady wrote:

To know what you prefer
instead of humbly saying Amen
to what the world tells you you ought to prefer,
is to have kept your soul alive.
- Robert Louis Stevenson

Oct 2, 2020 07:17AM IllinoisLady wrote:

Very cool here this morning. Definitely a sweatshirt day. I feel for the outdoor kitties, but they often do bundle up together. If the sun is out and I think it is, they seem to warm instantly. If they sit in the sun and you touch them their fur is warm. They are able to attract the sun's rays to warm themselves. I will feed the feral cats in whatever sunshine there may be.

Sad that Trump and Melania got covid, but perhaps it will help with disseminating info to others as to their behaviors. I will be thinking about all here and hoping that you all stay well and safe -- something I've hoped since this terrible disease process reared its ugly head. Almost time to go get our flu injections. The V.A. waits just a bit since you will be covered for sure during the coldest months. The protection lasts about a yr. but starts to wane somewhat as time passes, so that is why they don't rush in immediately to give the shots. There were yrs. that I 'forgot' to get my shot but stayed well with no issues. At this point -- no way do I want to go without.

Wishing you all a wonderful day and definitgely wishing you well and that you stay that way.

Oct 2, 2020 01:48PM Betrayal wrote:

To get the best results from a flu shot you should not get it any later than November 1. Flu season is nominally from the beginning of October to the end of May but it depends on the weather, where you live, immune status, the population density and a host of other factors. The virus evolves over time so the virus we see early is not necessarily what we see at the end of the season which is why it is always a combo type vaccine mostly based on last year's experience. I urge you to get the flu shot and no, you do not get the flu from the shot. It is not a live vaccine and anyone who claims they got the flu from the shot unfortunately was already exposed and/or incubating at the time they got the shot. It also can take up to 2 weeks to develop sufficient circulating antibodies so protection is not immediate. Mask wearing is a blessing in this case because it will help get us through that 2 weeks.

Surgery 2/1/2016 Lumpectomy: Left Surgery 2/1/2016 Lymph node removal: Sentinel Surgery 3/4/2016 Lumpectomy: Left Radiation Therapy 3/31/2016 Whole-breast: Breast Hormonal Therapy 6/25/2016 Arimidex (anastrozole) Hormonal Therapy 5/19/2017 Femara (letrozole) Hormonal Therapy 6/16/2020 Aromasin (exemestane)

Oct 2, 2020 05:55PM karen1956 wrote:

Puffin - my oldest daughter developed ovarian cysts in high school. One ruptured then another grew back so gyn put her on the pill.

Gleason - sorry you have to join this club, but glad you found us. No pain from chemo or Neulasta, but I did have awful joint pain on AIs. Wishing you an easy time on chemo. I'm 14+ years from stage 3 ILC diagnosis.

Karen in Denver, Dx 02/03/2006, ILC, stage IIIa, ER/PR+, HER2-,

Page 1250 of 1,265 (37,949 results)