Join Us

We are 219,659 members in 84 forums discussing 161,620 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: Can we have a forum for "older" people with bc?

Forum: Older Than 60 Years Old With Breast Cancer —

Meet other women who are similar in age and dealing with age-appropriate issues.

Posted on: Feb 7, 2009 03:29PM

Northstar wrote:

I am an "older" woman with breast cancer (I was diagnosed at 65 and am now 66).  I notice that most of the posts seem to be from people younger than I am (often by quite a bit...).   I'd love to "talk" with others my age, exchange info about their diagnoses, effects on their lives, etc.   I see that there is a forum for young women.

Someone suggested that maybe it's that older people aren't so computer-savvy or aren't used to being in online discussion groups.   However, for those who are, it would be great. 

DX 8/15/08, ILC, 5.1 cm, Stage IIb, Grade 1, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-, Oncotype DX 11.

Page 1261 of 1,281 (38,424 results)

Posts 37801 - 37830 (38,424 total)

Nov 3, 2020 04:47PM CindyNY wrote:

I keyed in some long story last night but it never posted. Oh well!

I walked the mall yesterday, pretty empty. Felt like I had shin splints before the night was over.

Today I walked the park again, staying in the trees on dirt, not out on the paved path. It was 38, I wore a neck gator that covers your ears to keep my glands from swelling.

I voted easily, no real lines - just spread out 6 feet apart made the line go out to the entrance.

Our temps are going up into 60's Thursday thru Monday. Can't wait. I repaired another corner of the chain link fence gate today. All the winds blowing the gate open have taken it toll.

I'm going to shower early, get in jammies and grab a book. I can't watch multiple hours of results, too stressful. Once an hour or so will keep me in the loop.

Stay safe.

dx at 58, no family history, onco = 19 Dx 10/6/2017, DCIS/IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/5 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 10/31/2017 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Surgery 11/13/2017 Lumpectomy: Left Radiation Therapy 12/26/2017 Whole-breast: Breast Hormonal Therapy 3/1/2018 Arimidex (anastrozole)

Nov 3, 2020 05:17PM MCBaker wrote:

I just found the TV remote. Really didn't want to. We won't know for a few days, at the earliest. Why stress out, when we have already done what we could? Even if the results are not what we wanted, we will have to live with it, and accept it.

I wrote a nice post a few hours ago, and lost it. Such is life.

Onco wants me to get an ultrasound of my liver. A couple of numbers are borderline high. We think acetaminophen is the problem, but caution is warranted. I may have to switch to tramadol for the pains of life. They keep reminding me that pain kept in control is good for the heart. I tend to be a stoic, thinking that pain purifies.

My coffeemaker also bit the dust yesterday. I am so roundly disgusted with coffeemakers only lasting a year that I got a pour-over. Put the coffee in the steel filter over a small carafe, nuke a cup of water, and pour it in. If you want it strong, pour it through again. Works for tea as well. I got some good practice this morning, using the broken one-cup cofffee-maker as a pour-over. With a small kitchen the footprint is tiny.

Mary Dx 10/3/2018, DCIS, Right, 6cm+, Stage 0, Grade 3, ER-/PR- Surgery 11/15/2018 Lymph node removal: Sentinel; Mastectomy: Right; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Dx 11/16/2018, IDC, Right, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 1, 0/5 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2+ (IHC) Targeted Therapy 12/18/2018 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Chemotherapy 12/19/2018 Taxol (paclitaxel) Surgery 6/27/2019 Reconstruction (right): Fat grafting, Saline implant

Nov 3, 2020 11:56PM - edited Nov 3, 2020 11:59PM by ChiSandy

Mary, if you are into pour-over coffee now, may I suggest either the stainless steel Kalita Wave Dripper (which takes its own micromini "basket-type" filters; or the Hario V60, which looks like a Melitta cone but with a completely open bottom (it, too requires its own pointy-bottom proprietary filters--I tried Melitta filters in it but the bottom seam ripped apart and dumped a muck of water & grounds into my cup). The smaller Kalita 155 is about $15; but the cheapest plastic model of the Hario can be had for under ten bucks. Now, they recommend pouring boiled water from a kettle in a slow circular stream to extract the full flavor. And it does taste awesome. I got a small stovetop gooseneck kettle just for that. (I have an electric one for anything else requiring boiling water).

It depends, though, on the coffee you're using: I never use pre-ground; instead, I grind beans (no older than 2 months past roast) just before I brew each cup or pot, and use the full measuring scoop that came with the pour-over device. So the coffee is strong enough from the get-go, with no need to pour it through again (which is sort of what a percolator does--thus, why I hate percolator coffee). But I am a coffee geek (I used to be a member of the website of the same name).

Dental cleaning went well. No need for bonding or veneers--the brownish stains polished right off (followed by a lecture about brushing and rinsing immediately after drinking coffee, tea or wine).

I am up insanely late (I'd be biting my nails if they weren't no-chip gels). I have my penicillin allergy challenge at 11:30 am--but I may have to cancel it yet again! No, not quarantining or awaiting test results. Nope--Bob took a taxi home all the way from Oak Lawn because he lost his car keys somewhere in the hospital. I don't mind the expense of those long cab rides--no, it's the danger of possible COVID exposure. (He said all the car windows were open and he & the driver wore masks--but he didn't answer when I asked about sanitizer & disinfectant). Now this is the third appointment I've made. I offered to let him ride to Glenbrook Hospital with me, wait in the car during my test, and then we'd hop on the tollway, nearly a straight shot south to his hospital and drop him off at his car with his spare keys; but he insists he has to get to his hospital in the morning. I will make sure he takes a packet of Purell wipes with him if he insists on cabbing it down (I think it's safer to rent a car).

Diagnosed at 64 on routine annual mammo, no lump. OncotypeDX 16. I cried because I had no shoes...but then again, I won’t get blisters.... Dx 9/9/2015, IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (IHC) Surgery 9/23/2015 Lumpectomy: Right Radiation Therapy 11/2/2015 3DCRT: Breast Hormonal Therapy 12/31/2015 Femara (letrozole)

Nov 4, 2020 05:24AM petite1 wrote:

Good morning, ladies. I got chilled last night. I think it dropped in the 40's. Anyway it set off my Lupus rash and I was miserable last night. The cooler weather makes my hands hurt. I would like to just stay in the bed and read.

I have a coffee maker back up as well and a camping one in case the power is off. I can use it on the grill.

petite Dx 8/23/2019, ILC/IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/7 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2- Radiation Therapy 10/20/2019 Whole-breast: Breast Hormonal Therapy 12/19/2019 Arimidex (anastrozole)

Nov 4, 2020 05:27AM IllinoisLady wrote:

Sorry to hear about those keys. We have such a way to go yet with the covid issues and as said, likely a vaccine while really helpful won't offer full protection to all. Fingers crossed.

I have used the boiling water pour over glass beaker type coffee. I totally loved it, but it really all needed to be finished up and not left to sit over-long. We made less at the time and it was sure good. I think we just got tired of having to wait. Far different when you have a pot with a timer so you don't have to stand and "dream" about the coffee you will soon drinking though it be excellent.

Lots of votes still to count, but a bit on the depressing side this a.m. Whatever happens, we will have to be along for the ride.

Each day I am thankful for nights that turned into mornings, friends that turned into family, dreams that turned into reality and likes that turned into love. ~~~Elizabeth Kuebler-Ross Dx 9/27/2007, IDC, 5cm, Stage II, Grade 3, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2-

Nov 4, 2020 06:25AM carolehalston wrote:

Election results very disappointing for me no matter what the eventual outcome. I had hoped for a decisive victory for my candidate. Now I have to wait and hope for a slim victory. There were headlines in other countries questioning whether America's democracy would survive this election.

On a positive note, Americans did turn out to vote. I voted in the early afternoon and was in and out of the polling place in less than 15 minutes.

We're having another nice day with the high in the 70's. I have a golf lesson at 11 am. If I cannot improve my game, I may quit golf. DH just left to play golf. Happily for him, he plays well at age 81.

Wishing everyone as good a day as possible.

Nipple-Sparing BMX w/Alloderm & Silicone Implants 7/24/09, Oncotype Dx 9, No Chemo, No Rads, Arimidex Dx 6/25/2009, IDC, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 3, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Nov 4, 2020 07:42AM MCBaker wrote:

I am retired. I have the patience to pour the water slowly. The coffee is much better. I'll use the microwave for now, although the gooseneck kettle sounds nice.

Tippy and I took a long walk this morning.

I am eager to get those new poles so I can walk longer distanceds with minimal pain.

Mary Dx 10/3/2018, DCIS, Right, 6cm+, Stage 0, Grade 3, ER-/PR- Surgery 11/15/2018 Lymph node removal: Sentinel; Mastectomy: Right; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Dx 11/16/2018, IDC, Right, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 1, 0/5 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2+ (IHC) Targeted Therapy 12/18/2018 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Chemotherapy 12/19/2018 Taxol (paclitaxel) Surgery 6/27/2019 Reconstruction (right): Fat grafting, Saline implant

Nov 4, 2020 10:15AM Wren44 wrote:

Sandy, What kind of grinder do you use? We've been through so many that don't last very long and make a huge mess. They should make one where the coffee falls through a sieve of some kind. When you take the top off, coffee spills on the counter.

We're using a Mr. Coffee that puts the coffee into a thermos-type pot that keeps it hot for 3 hours or so. DH bought it because it was the only one that fit under our cabinets.

Lumpectomy and re-excision followed by mastectomy of right breast. Five years of anastrasole completed.

Nov 4, 2020 11:01AM MCBaker wrote:

My grinder is the small Procter-Silex. theonlinedrugstore.com/coffee-... I turn it upside down and use the top to put the ground coffee into the filter.

Nov 4, 2020 12:30PM ChiSandy wrote:

I use a burr, not a blade, grinder (I use the latter for spices). I used to have a lower-end Capresso and then Braun, but about 15 yrs ago managed to get a Rancilio Rocky from a CoffeeGeek.com buddy for dirt cheap (his wife bought him a new one). I use it for pour-over drip, French press or Aeropress (which looks disturbingly like the old-school manual breast pump I used when Gordy was a newborn). I had used it for espresso, too, but it's a PITA to adjust the grind (you're supposed to do it while it's running with beans in the hopper, but the rocker switch is spring-loaded and won't stay in the "on" position--takes practically 3 hands) so I just set and forget. A year after I got the Rocky, I bought a used Mazzer Mini pro grinder on eBay from a cafe that was going out of business. I've had to replace the burrs just once, and it's super-easy to "dial in" the grind for espresso depending on ambient humidity and how old the beans are. (Told you I'm a coffee geek).

Check out Cook's Illustrated for their burr grinder reviews. They highly recommend the Baratza Virtuoso--not cheap ($150, which was what I paid for the normally-$400 Rocky); but they do make a slightly simpler version that's nearly as good for $99. The Baratzas are very easy to adjust and are neat and sturdy. (The Virtuoso has a wider range of settings--40 in all, and the cheaper one nearly as many). A burr grinder, especially one that grinds into a slide-out container, is so much neater than a blade grinder--and you can grind much more at once, the grind is even, and doesn't overheat the beans the way a blade grinder does. Avoid the cheap Cuisinart and Capresso at all costs: they generate static and spew grounds all over the counter. (The pricy KitchenAid grinds well, but has a glass container which will break if dropped).

I rarely brew an entire pot any more: Bob prefers his Keurig; and on the rare occasion when I do make a pot, my Keurig can do that too. (I have a wonderful Technivorm auto-drip but haven't used it in years). I enjoy my morning ritual of grinding beans, heating the kettle on the stove, and doing a pour-over by the cup. And two years ago for Christmas & my birthday Gordy got me a couple of Ember mugs (one for travel, one for home) that I charge up and set my preferred temperature: my coffee stays hot till I finish it!

Diagnosed at 64 on routine annual mammo, no lump. OncotypeDX 16. I cried because I had no shoes...but then again, I won’t get blisters.... Dx 9/9/2015, IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (IHC) Surgery 9/23/2015 Lumpectomy: Right Radiation Therapy 11/2/2015 3DCRT: Breast Hormonal Therapy 12/31/2015 Femara (letrozole)

Nov 4, 2020 01:44PM MCBaker wrote:

OH What I would give for a like button, Sandy!!

Nov 4, 2020 02:59PM karen1956 wrote:

I don't drink coffee, but my hubby does - he bought a commercial grinder many, many years ago. It's in the garage, too big for the kitchen. He bought it when he wanted to be able to grind coffee for espresso and other types of coffee makers. He grinds coffee every day or every other day. He loves percolated coffee and has a percolator that is 50 years old. On Shabbat he uses a cone filter with water from the urn. My mother used Melitta when I was a little girl. My son uses a hand grinder and I think DD#2 does as well. Hubby likes his coffee dark and strong (French roast only). Son not so much and DD#2 will drink her dad's coffee as she likes it strong too. DD#1 doesn't drink coffee and her husband uses a 1 cup Keurig.

Karen in Denver, Dx 02/03/2006, ILC, stage IIIa, ER/PR+, HER2-,

Nov 4, 2020 03:21PM - edited Nov 4, 2020 03:27PM by ChiSandy

You can even store beans in a burr grinder. When you hit the "on" button and the burrs start turning against each other, gravity feeds the beans from the hopper down to the burrs, and the resulting ground coffee into the catchment container. Some burr grinders grind directly into an espresso machine's portafilter (i.e., the "handle" containing the metal basket that affixes to the espreso machine) resting on a little fork or holder attachment, some into a "doser" (a non-removable container that has a lever, which when you flap it, dispenses grounds into the portafilter).

Wanna know how much of a coffee geek I am? I used to roast my own beans! (The smoke wasn't very good for my asthma, and doing it outside in winter was rather ineffective). I am lucky enough to live four blocks from an excellent coffeehouse (Metropolis), which used to roast on-premises but expanded to a separate roastery. Of course, during the pandemic, I order from their website instead.

Nov 4, 2020 03:56PM Wren44 wrote:

We have a couple of Melita cups that we used for camping. They make good coffee.

Sandy, you really are a coffee geek!

Lumpectomy and re-excision followed by mastectomy of right breast. Five years of anastrasole completed.

Nov 4, 2020 04:58PM CindyNY wrote:

Oh me, oh my, Sandy, you've got it bad! I love the smell of brewing coffee, hate the taste. Rob loves coffee, and in Puerto Rico we would always go into the mountains for coffee festivals.

55 was today's high, going into mid to high 60's over the next 7 days. Strange temps for upstate NY in November, but I'll take it! Extra time for yard clean up and walking outside.

Have a great evening. Petite - hope your feeling better.

dx at 58, no family history, onco = 19 Dx 10/6/2017, DCIS/IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/5 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 10/31/2017 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Surgery 11/13/2017 Lumpectomy: Left Radiation Therapy 12/26/2017 Whole-breast: Breast Hormonal Therapy 3/1/2018 Arimidex (anastrozole)

Nov 4, 2020 07:22PM Taco1946 wrote:

Boy - lots to catch up on in two days. We're still making coffee in our old drip machine. We love our coffee but aren't aren't very particular about it. I just want the caffeine!

Still waiting for election results here. There was supposed to be a big "dump" in Maricopa County at 7:00 but it turned out to only be a little one. Doesn't look like our current Senator is going back though. John McCain is an idol here and he and the President certainly never hit it off. The ads Cindy McCain did were effective and it also looks like the young and Hispanic demographics voted.

Yes, the commute between San Antonio and Austin was a challenge. We were on the SW side; Ken was doing his residency at Lackland AFB. My MIL had given me a very nice comfortable car which was a gas hog and with the gas embargo of that time, I couldn't even buy gas enough to make a round trip. Needless to say, it was exchanged very quickly for a stick-shift Gremlin. I'd never driven one before and my kids (then 2 and 3) called it "Mom's bump-bump csr." Debbie still teases me about it although she never mastered a stick either.

What fascinating DNA research! Can they tell if the migration was east to west or west to east? Or both ways? Hard to imagine that kind of distance travel in what must have been very small craft.

This next surge of Covid is really scary. Stay safe.

Marge

Dx 11/22/2016, IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+ Radiation Therapy 12/29/2016 Balloon-catheter: Breast Chemotherapy 2/3/2017 Taxol (paclitaxel) Targeted Therapy 2/3/2017 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Hormonal Therapy 12/4/2017 Femara (letrozole) Surgery Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Sentinel, Underarm/Axillary Targeted Therapy

Nov 4, 2020 08:05PM - edited Nov 4, 2020 08:08PM by Reader425

Oohlala I am loving the coffee conversation! Sandy you are really expert on this topic! I drink just a strong brew (drip) now. But I used to have an elderly friend from Holland who would make me her " Dutch coffee" - pour over mixed with hot milk. It was beyond delicious. I have a French press i sometimes use also. Yum. ☕☕

Petite I hope you are feeling better today. I also have a lupus-like syndrome so do understand.

Dx 9/11/2014, IDC, Left, 2cm, Stage IA, Grade 3, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (FISH) Surgery 10/28/2014 Lumpectomy: Left Radiation Therapy 1/3/2015 Whole-breast: Breast Hormonal Therapy 2/28/2015 Arimidex (anastrozole)

Nov 4, 2020 09:41PM ChiSandy wrote:

I really love the taste of good black coffee--the only time I put anything in it is to make a cappuccino, latte or cortado. Metropolis makes outstanding decaf that smells & tastes like the real thing, not like supermarket decaf!

Nov 5, 2020 03:53AM petite1 wrote:

Good morning, Ladies. Don't laugh, this is my coffee grinder. It works.

petite Dx 8/23/2019, ILC/IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/7 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2- Radiation Therapy 10/20/2019 Whole-breast: Breast Hormonal Therapy 12/19/2019 Arimidex (anastrozole)

Nov 5, 2020 06:16AM MCBaker wrote:

I may switch from the microwave to the stove. Heating 4.5 cups of water total in the microwave for my three cups of coffee is too time-consuming. I just started using a different CBD prep. May end up backing off from my three cups.

It is so difficult for me to get enough exercise and endure my body's protests. Hopefully I can increase my intake of non-prescription anti-inflammatories without endangering my scarred stomach. CBD and turmeric with chamomile capsules help. The timed-release Tylenol is not helping me get eight hours of pain-free sleep. I will have to go back to bed for a nap later, again. I do not want to add alcohol to everything else. Longing to move back to Illinois.

It is encouraging to note that so many people voted mixed tickets. There is an undercurrent in this nation that rejects the current polarization.

Nov 5, 2020 03:59PM ChiSandy wrote:

Petite, back in the day many homes had one of those wall-mounted manual grinders. When I traveled, I would pack a little portable one the size of a pepper mill (along with beans, an electric mini-kettle, and either Melitta-cone+filters, Aeropress or travel mug with a built-in French press). I didn't trust in-room drip coffeemakers at hotels--which recently have been replaced by those single-cup/filter-pack machines that make stale, weak and dreadful coffee. These days, of course, that's a moot point.

Nov 5, 2020 08:19PM IllinoisLady wrote:

Character is the product of daily, hourly actions, words and thoughts: daily forgiveness, unselfishness, kindnesses, sympathies, charities, sacrifices for the good of others, struggles against temptation, submissiveness under trial. It is these, like the blinding colors in a picture, or the blending notes of music, which constitute the person.

John MacDuff

Each day I am thankful for nights that turned into mornings, friends that turned into family, dreams that turned into reality and likes that turned into love. ~~~Elizabeth Kuebler-Ross Dx 9/27/2007, IDC, 5cm, Stage II, Grade 3, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2-

Nov 6, 2020 06:55AM petite1 wrote:

Good morning, ladies. It is warm, 70 degrees already. This is laundry day and my wonderful cleaning lady and friend will be here this weekend. We are watching for the return of Eta. Here we go again. I will be glad when 2020 is over.

Nov 6, 2020 07:00AM karen1956 wrote:

Petite, I forget where you live but at 6:30 am it was already 55 - that is a typical high for this time of the year. We have tied or broken records at least three days this week - 77 and 79.

Time to get to my usual Friday - cleaning, cooking and grocery shopping.

Have a great day!

Karen in Denver, Dx 02/03/2006, ILC, stage IIIa, ER/PR+, HER2-,

Nov 6, 2020 08:28AM IllinoisLady wrote:

Every day is a new beginning. Treat it that way. Stay away from what might have been, and look at what can be.

- Marsha Petrie Sue.

Nov 6, 2020 08:42AM IllinoisLady wrote:

The sun is out and how gorgeous it is. Did need a sweater to go feed the feral cats but it was fairly warm already -- just needed to have something got the breeze. Dh is in surgery as we speak but since I had some less then good reactions to anesthesia yesterday I spent most of the day in the step-down recovery room -- till about 5 p.m. last night. I had three tumors removed from my bladder ( big surprise ) and will await what the lab has to say about them. They were not there in July so that is a good thing to have found them really soon. Not sure what that will mean to over-all tx. but I will find out fairly soon I think so I'm looking on the positive side to deal with this complication.

I will be kept informed with hourly calls and could possibly go see him if he gets out of surgery soon enough. Since it was a little after 10 a.m. that may cut it close. I do not always drive as well at night and I'm not sure how soon they will get him done. I don't think it is super complicated but it takes two surgeons to do it so it could go longer than is good for me. Will just have to see.

Hope you all have a fantastic day.

Nov 6, 2020 08:55AM Beaverntx wrote:

Jackie, glad you have sunshine today. Sounds like you can use all the positivity you can get today!

Prayers that DH's surgery and healing goes well and that your path report is negative. That said, my father had recurring bladder tumors and his treatment was surgical removal and local instillation of chemo into his bladder. He was in his late 60s or early 70s when first diagnosed and passed away from old age a month before his 98th birthday. He had more problems from arthritis than gallbladder tumors.

Diagnosed at age 77-- Oncotype 17, dealing with this bump in the road of life!!🎆 Dx 1/24/2018, IDC, Right, 2cm, Stage IB, Grade 3, 0/9 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (IHC) Dx 1/30/2018, DCIS, Right, <1cm, Stage 0 Surgery 1/30/2018 Lumpectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Right, Sentinel Radiation Therapy 3/11/2018 Whole-breast: Breast Surgery 6/15/2018 Prophylactic ovary removal Hormonal Therapy 6/19/2018 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone)

Nov 6, 2020 09:03AM Betrayal wrote:

Jackie: Here's hoping your husband does well post-op and that your bladder issues are no big deal.

On my repeat colonoscopy (one in June and second in September), the new MD found 3 additional polyps which were either new or missed in June. Positive of this was I went from a 3 year repeat to a 1 year repeat due to the nature of one polyp. Better safe than sorry. Fingers crossed.

Surgery 1/31/2016 Lumpectomy: Left Surgery 1/31/2016 Lymph node removal: Sentinel Surgery 3/3/2016 Lumpectomy: Left Radiation Therapy 3/31/2016 Whole-breast: Breast Hormonal Therapy 6/24/2016 Arimidex (anastrozole) Hormonal Therapy 5/18/2017 Femara (letrozole) Hormonal Therapy 6/16/2020 Aromasin (exemestane)

Nov 6, 2020 04:03PM ChiSandy wrote:

Betrayal, when it comes to the "bottom" it's always wise to "stay on top of things." Fingers crossed that the next 'scope removes the 3 new polyps and finds no others.

Bummer to hear Al Roker was dx'ed with prostate cancer--and despite catching it early, its Gleason score was high enough that surgery was recommended over brachytherapy. I figured something was up, because his voice sounded increasingly weak & raspy of late. Hope that was just fatigue and vocal overuse.

Because of yet another single-day COVID case record in IL (>10K), I expect tighter mitigation restrictions to be announced any day now. So I'm getting a root-touch-up and hair trim tomorrow. For reasons previously stated, no more Brazilian Blowouts. (The last one wore off quickly anyway, due to the salt content in my nocturnal scalp/nape sweat). I have hot tools and conditioners at home, and (duh) enough free time to use them.

I'm probably going to start songwriting again, despite not having any inspiration of late. I'll do the exercises recommended from back when I took classes over a decade ago (e.g., picking a topic at random, maybe trying alternate tunings, taking a catchphrase from the news or literature).

Nov 6, 2020 07:08PM ChiSandy wrote:

Oh, and we turned away our exterminator when he showed up today for his monthly visit. For the past few months, their regular exterminators have been MIA--we'd get a newbie every month, some of whom didn't know to use pet-safe techniques and substances. At least they wore PPE. Not this new guy: he came to the door unmasked, no gloves, heavily tatted, with "gauges" in his earlobes. We spoke to him through the glass storm door. From what I've been able to gather, the company's exterminators have either been reluctant to enter people's homes or have themselves fallen ill.

Page 1261 of 1,281 (38,424 results)