Join Us

We are 220,252 members in 84 forums discussing 161,853 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: Can we have a forum for "older" people with bc?

Forum: Older Than 60 Years Old With Breast Cancer —

Meet other women who are similar in age and dealing with age-appropriate issues.

Posted on: Feb 7, 2009 04:29PM

Northstar wrote:

I am an "older" woman with breast cancer (I was diagnosed at 65 and am now 66).  I notice that most of the posts seem to be from people younger than I am (often by quite a bit...).   I'd love to "talk" with others my age, exchange info about their diagnoses, effects on their lives, etc.   I see that there is a forum for young women.

Someone suggested that maybe it's that older people aren't so computer-savvy or aren't used to being in online discussion groups.   However, for those who are, it would be great. 

DX 8/15/08, ILC, 5.1 cm, Stage IIb, Grade 1, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-, Oncotype DX 11.

Page 1268 of 1,290 (38,685 results)

Posts 38011 - 38040 (38,685 total)

Dec 2, 2020 06:34AM karen1956 wrote:

It's 28 here and feels like 5! After today, it will start warming up to the 50s next week. I'm too wimpy to go out for a morning walk. Using my Cubii instead. It's not the same as a walk, especially since I love the fresh air, but it's better than nothing.

Since the kids are grown and no one but DH and I in the house, I no longer put out my Chanukah decorations. We do light the Chanukiah (menorah) during the 8 nights of Chanukah, but not decorations. Maybe one day, when I'm lucky enough to have grandchildren, I can pass the decorations to my children.

Have a great day.

Karen in Denver, Dx 02/03/2006, ILC, stage IIIa, ER/PR+, HER2-,

Dec 2, 2020 08:17AM Betrayal wrote:

Taco1946: Here you go:

Little Christmas (Irish: Nollaig na mBan, lit. 'Women's Christmas'), also known as Old Christmas, is one of the traditional names among Irish Christians and Amish Christians for 6 January, which is also known more widely as the Feast of the Epiphany, celebrated after the conclusion of the twelve days of Christmastide. It is the traditional end of the Christmas season and until 2013 was the last day of the Christmas holidays for both primary and secondary schools in Ireland.

Owing to differences in liturgical calendars, as early as the fourth century, the churches of the eastern Roman Empire were celebrating Christmas on 6 January, while those of the western Roman Empire were celebrating it on 25 December.

In October 1582, Pope Gregory XIII introduced the Gregorian calendar as a correction the Julian calendar, because the latter has too many leap years that cause it to drift out of alignment with the solar year. This has liturgical significance since calculation of the date of Easter assumes that spring Equinox in the Northern Hemisphere occurs on 21 March. To correct the accumulated error, he ordained the date be advanced by ten days. Most Roman Catholic countries adopted the new calendar immediately and Protestant countries followed suit over the following 200 years. In particular, the British Empire (including the American colonies) did so from 1752 with the Calendar (New Style) Act 1750, by which time the divergence had grown to eleven days.[a] This meant that Christmas Day on 25 December ('New Style) was eleven days earlier than it would have been but for the Act, making "Old Christmas" [25 December ('Old Style')] happen on 5 January (NS). In February 1800, the Julian calendar had another leap year but the Gregorian did not, moving Old Christmas to 6 January (NS), which coincided with the Feast of the Epiphany.

For this reason, in some parts of the world, the Feast of the Epiphany, which is traditionally observed on 6 January, is sometimes referred to as Old Christmas or Old Christmas Day.

Source: Wikipedia

Surgery 1/31/2016 Lumpectomy: Left Surgery 1/31/2016 Lymph node removal: Sentinel Surgery 3/3/2016 Lumpectomy: Left Radiation Therapy 3/30/2016 Whole-breast: Breast Hormonal Therapy 6/24/2016 Arimidex (anastrozole) Hormonal Therapy 5/18/2017 Femara (letrozole) Hormonal Therapy 6/15/2020 Aromasin (exemestane)

Dec 2, 2020 08:34AM MinusTwo wrote:

Really interesting. Thanks Betrayal.

2/15/11 BMX-DCIS 2SNB clear-TEs; 9/15/11-410gummies; 3/20/13 recurrance-5.5cm,mets to lymphs, Stage IIIB IDC ER/PRneg,HER2+; TCH/Perjeta/Neulasta x6; ALND 9/24/13 1/18 nodes 4.5cm; AC chemo 10/30/13 x3; herceptin again; Rads Feb2014

Dec 2, 2020 08:47AM MCBaker wrote:

Even at 12 degrees, Tippy would be very distressed if we didn't take our walk. I have started wearing my AFO, because my right ankle seems to be going on strike sooner and sooner on walks. I suspect it will never get better. Tippy knows the way to the groomer, and always tries to go that way. I might take him for face, feet, and fanny. He is getting used to me clipping out the matts.

I am wearing my sari wrap skirts daily, and just ordered more. I can sell those that don't have turquoise in them. People will pay more for what they can see upon purchase. So I might even make a little profit.

Lefty is all clear. Not even dense.

I haven't had a tree for years. A friend just gave me a little one, two ft high, pre-decorated (shortly after buying it at Goodwill, a friend sent her one with fiberoptic lights) . I might consider re-decorating mine to my own taste when the sales happen.

Mary Dx 10/3/2018, DCIS, Right, 6cm+, Stage 0, Grade 3, ER-/PR- Surgery 11/15/2018 Lymph node removal: Sentinel; Mastectomy: Right; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Dx 11/16/2018, IDC, Right, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 1, 0/5 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2+ (IHC) Targeted Therapy 12/18/2018 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Chemotherapy 12/19/2018 Taxol (paclitaxel) Surgery 6/27/2019 Reconstruction (right): Fat grafting, Saline implant

Dec 2, 2020 01:45PM IllinoisLady wrote:

Every word carries a vibration that sent out, comes back. A cutting word destroys what a sweet word heals. One spoken word can make or mar the destiny of a being. When heart is put into a word, the word encompasses the totality of love and brings love back. When a word is without heart, it is cold and empty and will bring back cold and emptiness. -Cheryl Canfield

Each day I am thankful for nights that turned into mornings, friends that turned into family, dreams that turned into reality and likes that turned into love. ~~~Elizabeth Kuebler-Ross Dx 9/27/2007, IDC, 5cm, Stage II, Grade 3, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2-

Dec 2, 2020 01:55PM IllinoisLady wrote:

Sun out today. I was up early so as to get to my friend's farm and get her outdoor pets fed. She has a lot of them. She pays me a bit and since she just had her hip replaced I soak the pot I used to feed ( has wet food in it to hand out ) the outside group and while it soaks I sweep the floors, do some dusting, and clean out the litter pans for her. It is easy and I think ( hope ) she relaxes a bit more.

She is moving around okay and has since the first time I went there, but at her age getting over anything seems much slower. I'm sure she is anxious, but she wants it to work well so she is behaving.

I go tomorrow to Marion V.A. for my echogram and then right back home here. Almost wish I could skip it but it is a good thing to do.

Don't know if I said but did get results back from the St. Louis lab. They were the same as the lab here. There was nothing that could be identified ( cell or otherwise ) as cancer, but Dr. Barrientos is still sure that it is. The left kidney and ureter are clear. Apparently then, something got away when I had the first operation and so the bladder ( very sm. ) tumors now. I'm awaiting referral to the cancer Dr. here and then I will likely get 8 treatments. Radioactive seeds will be put into the bladder once a week for two hrs. Will happen once a week for 8 weeks. Then a bit after I will re-start tests with Dr. Barrientos every three months for first yr. Then twice the nest yr. and then maybe once a yr. Any part of that could be subject to change but I think that is how it will go for me.

Hope you are all having a really good day.

Each day I am thankful for nights that turned into mornings, friends that turned into family, dreams that turned into reality and likes that turned into love. ~~~Elizabeth Kuebler-Ross Dx 9/27/2007, IDC, 5cm, Stage II, Grade 3, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2-

Dec 2, 2020 04:30PM Betrayal wrote:

Jackie: Good that you have a plan now for those bladder tumors. I think I would rather err on the side of overkill than a "wait and see" attitude.

Surgery 1/31/2016 Lumpectomy: Left Surgery 1/31/2016 Lymph node removal: Sentinel Surgery 3/3/2016 Lumpectomy: Left Radiation Therapy 3/30/2016 Whole-breast: Breast Hormonal Therapy 6/24/2016 Arimidex (anastrozole) Hormonal Therapy 5/18/2017 Femara (letrozole) Hormonal Therapy 6/15/2020 Aromasin (exemestane)

Dec 2, 2020 06:48PM Taco1946 wrote:

Thanks, Betrayal. Don't know why I didn't think to look it up. Had an Irish great-grandmother but she married a Dutchman who was Protestant and that tradition never got passed on.

Dx 11/22/2016, IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+ Radiation Therapy 12/28/2016 Balloon-catheter: Breast Chemotherapy 2/2/2017 Taxol (paclitaxel) Targeted Therapy 2/2/2017 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Hormonal Therapy 12/3/2017 Femara (letrozole) Surgery Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Sentinel, Underarm/Axillary Targeted Therapy

Dec 2, 2020 07:29PM Wren44 wrote:

Somewhere (I don't remember where) Christmas is purely religious and presents are given on the 6th night. I think it's because the kings brought the gifts then.

Lumpectomy and re-excision followed by mastectomy of right breast. Five years of anastrasole completed.

Dec 2, 2020 11:32PM - edited Dec 3, 2020 12:24AM by ChiSandy

Jackie, always better safe than sorry; and the brachytherapy should be quite tolerable. Mary, hooray for "lefty" getting the all-clear. Had my own mammo today (now once again a routine annual screener rather than diagnostic). While in the waiting room at Evanston Hospital, I saw someone who looked somewhat like our own keywestfan (Judy) walk in with her husband--both just about the right age. (Although I believe Judy is much more limber & mobile). Before I could satisfy my curiosity, I got called in for my "close-up." In & out--so fast that my parking was free!

At Whole Foods in Evanston, they had 3-ft. "tabletop" Fraser firs marked down to $17.99 today. I might pick one up tomorrow, just to put my nicest ornaments & battery-op lights on it. We have the wreath on the front door--next week we hang the blue & white "Shalom" cushioned vertical banner from it. (Can you tell we're an interfaith family)?

I have 3 Hanukkiot (besides the electric one which is on its last legs--we've had it ever since we bought this house 33 years ago): one traditional stainless steel with center "shamash," one more modern stainless with vermeil tips with the shamash at the end (I sort of prefer that one because lighting the trad one can be tricky & even dangerous) and a ceramic one I got on QVC where each candle holder is a different synagogue in Jerusalem. (I like that one because the brass holders are removable for scraping out wax residue). I have more than enough candles, though they don't match. (Over the years, there were nights we were away from home and so didn't get to light all the candles; some broke in two, etc.). We have a cheesy lighted "Happy Hanukkah" sign we hang in the front window, and an even cheesier string of dreidel lights for the kitchen (rear) window.

Diagnosed at 64 on routine annual mammo, no lump. OncotypeDX 16. I cried because I had no shoes...but then again, I won’t get blisters.... Dx 9/9/2015, IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (IHC) Surgery 9/22/2015 Lumpectomy: Right Radiation Therapy 11/1/2015 3DCRT: Breast Hormonal Therapy 12/30/2015 Femara (letrozole)

Dec 3, 2020 05:14AM petite1 wrote:

Good morning, Ladies. 34 this morning. I hope to join my BFF for lunch today. Not much else going on.

petite Dx 8/23/2019, ILC/IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/7 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2- Radiation Therapy 10/20/2019 Whole-breast: Breast Hormonal Therapy 12/19/2019 Arimidex (anastrozole)

Dec 3, 2020 05:59AM karen1956 wrote:

Sandy - we still have all the Chanukiahs that the children made in preschool etc. Of course these have long ago ceased to be used. I think one was on a piece of wood with octagon "nuts" on them (don't know the technical name). When the kids were home everyone light a Chanukiah. Now DH and I light just one together. The kids all have their own. It is different with just one vs 5 light. Hard to believe Chanukah is in one week. I mailed the kids cards way early and it took one week to Canada and 10 days to Israel. When DD#1 mailed bday card to her Dad it took 3 weeks!! Just never know how long mail will take out of the country. DH and I don't exchange gifts at Chanukah. We only do birthdays for each other. The kids still get checks even as "old" as they are.

Have a great day.

Karen in Denver, Dx 02/03/2006, ILC, stage IIIa, ER/PR+, HER2-,

Dec 3, 2020 08:31AM carolehalston wrote:

Jackie, I wish you the best with your bladder treatments. It goes without saying that I wish you had been spared these latest health issues. I'm glad you are able to continue helping people.

The forecast is for rain today but none so far. I plan to go to the chair yoga class at 1 pm. Yesterday at the Senior exercise class, the leader, Autumn, opened two doors in the gym for increased ventilation. Then she put us through quite a workout. As usual, I literally worked up a sweat.

Hope everyone has a good day.

Nipple-Sparing BMX w/Alloderm & Silicone Implants 7/24/09, Oncotype Dx 9, No Chemo, No Rads, Arimidex Dx 6/25/2009, IDC, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 3, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Dec 3, 2020 08:32AM keywestfan wrote:

Sandy, Would have most enjoyed saying hello to you in Evanston mammogram room, but it wasn’t me- thankfully, because God willingly, I don’t have to have another mammo until next September. And, thank you, for saying, you believe I am more limber than the woman you saw. Did not know a husband could be in the waiting room. It’s such a wonderful step to go from a diagnostic to a screening mammogram. I always find the wait for the result terrifying, though with my diagnostic, it’s only about 15 minutes of heart pounding. And the relief when you get your result will also be wonderful, I betcha. Am PM ing you so you will know, for sure, what I look like if we are occupying the same space on the Chicago North side. I am almost certain I would recognize you

Anastrozole June 2019 Dx 2/14/2019, IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, ER+/PR+, HER2- (IHC) Surgery 3/23/2019 Lumpectomy: Right Radiation Therapy 4/30/2019 Hormonal Therapy

Dec 3, 2020 09:00AM MCBaker wrote:

Other than a headache for two days before, I wasn't very anxious about the mammo. Lefty has always been healthy, served my kids well, too. Not worried. Righty was always a lumpy mess.

My paternal grandmother was Irish, I think that was the practice when my father was growing up. There was always affection for that tradition, although we opened on Christmas day. Decorations came down on New Year's, they might have wanted to do it on the sixth, but by that time we were back in school.

Jackie, prayers for you on your bladder problems. Praying for good results for you, Sandy.

I am making more masks, so I can color-coordinate with almost everything. A solid red, a white and pale gray print, a pink and grey print that is also a shirt, a brown and beige print, and a green stripey print. The insides will be white, so that is an option, too.

Then I will get back to writing. I am enjoying working on the project without obsessing about it-- covid does that to people.

Mary Dx 10/3/2018, DCIS, Right, 6cm+, Stage 0, Grade 3, ER-/PR- Surgery 11/15/2018 Lymph node removal: Sentinel; Mastectomy: Right; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Dx 11/16/2018, IDC, Right, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 1, 0/5 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2+ (IHC) Targeted Therapy 12/18/2018 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Chemotherapy 12/19/2018 Taxol (paclitaxel) Surgery 6/27/2019 Reconstruction (right): Fat grafting, Saline implant

Dec 3, 2020 01:07PM Wren44 wrote:

I just finished Mrs. Kennedy and me by Clint Hill. He was her personal secret service guard, one of two assigned to her. The end of the book was all about JFK's assignation in Texas. Really hard to read. We were living in Houston when it happened and my boss had been at the breakfast that morning in Houston. My Mom had just given us our first TV and we watched the ceremonies the whole time. He said the silence during the funeral procession was deafening. Just sounds of weeping. I admit I cried reading it.

Lumpectomy and re-excision followed by mastectomy of right breast. Five years of anastrasole completed.

Dec 3, 2020 02:35PM IllinoisLady wrote:

Thinking like a winner means not always having to defeat someone else. It means being able to grow from a situation in which you fail to reach your goal. It involves not demanding perfection from yourself in every single thing you do, but, instead, thinking of yourself as perfect and thus capable of growing. It means reminding yourself that perfection doesn't mean staying the same; it means being able to allow yourself to grow. Thinking as a winner means not coming down on yourself; it means refusing to allow self-repudiating thoughts into your head. It involves pushing out the inclination to evaluate yourself in comparison with others, and giving yourself permission to be the unique person you are. -Wayne Dyer

Dec 3, 2020 02:52PM IllinoisLady wrote:

Late today. We ran up to Marion V.A. as I needed to get that Echogram done. Was gratified to see that they now are only letting people in who are there to have a procedure etc. Dh and I usually go together -- to be company to each other on the drive there and back. It tried most of the time to rain but while we got a little I was able to operate the windshield wipers myself. I'm sure there is likely a setting of some kind because my intermittent setting seems way too slow. I just don't know how to increase it -- easier to just do it myself. So, never needed to put the m on and leave then on.

We stopped and got a burger and fries ( a treat if we do something like the Marion trip ) and then stopped at a antique store that was right by the McDonalds. I'm always amused. Most antique stores around here actually don't have a whole lot of antiques actually but are able to sometimes command slightly higher prices for their non-antiques. Since I've spent yrs. in those kinds of shops I can usually sail through and not find much to tempt me. I found a few more cookbooks -- about 8 I think and spend $20.00. It will keep me entertained for some time I think.

Wren: Your book sounds familiar to me. Then again, it might be a chapter in a book about secret service agents. I got a few books a while back and only glanced in them ( haven't started reading them seriously yet ) to decide if I wanted to read the book. I usually lay up a few for winter and that is part of that group. I was trying to finish some others I had started. I'll be anxious to start on that stack now I think.

Hope you all had a really nice day.

Dec 3, 2020 03:45PM ChiSandy wrote:

Thelma & Louise are okay! Got the "all clear, see you next year" mammo form letter in my patient portal inbox this morning.

Diagnosed at 64 on routine annual mammo, no lump. OncotypeDX 16. I cried because I had no shoes...but then again, I won’t get blisters.... Dx 9/9/2015, IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (IHC) Surgery 9/22/2015 Lumpectomy: Right Radiation Therapy 11/1/2015 3DCRT: Breast Hormonal Therapy 12/30/2015 Femara (letrozole)

Dec 3, 2020 08:59PM Reader425 wrote:

So good to hear the 'all clears' for Sandy and MC. Relief. I kind of like the diagnostic type of mammo due to the rapid result. Like Key West described I get quite anxious. I am going to check my portal to see what's up on that for next year.

Jackie, all the best to you as you tackle this next round of "stuff".

My fun these days is finishing a simple pink baby blanket for a new grand niece. I seem to knit slower than i used to. 😹. Here's hoping everyone has a pleasant Friday.

Dx 9/11/2014, IDC, Left, 2cm, Stage IA, Grade 3, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (FISH) Surgery 10/28/2014 Lumpectomy: Left Radiation Therapy 1/3/2015 Whole-breast: Breast Hormonal Therapy 2/28/2015 Arimidex (anastrozole)

Dec 4, 2020 06:38AM IllinoisLady wrote:

In helping others, we shall help ourselves, for whatever good we give out completes the circle and comes back to us. -Flora Edwards

Dec 4, 2020 07:46AM petite1 wrote:

Good morning, ladies. My friend and I didn't go for lunch. We get together, but just not hungry. It was just nice to visit. It is pleasant today, but another cold front coming early next week. I still haven't put up any decorations. I have been working on changing the irrigation well pump filter. I can't get the old one out. I think I may have put it in upside down last time. Since we are rolling into dry season I need to get it working. DH wants to soak it in clorox. I guess we could get it cleaned, without removing it. That could work for the short time.

petite Dx 8/23/2019, ILC/IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/7 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2- Radiation Therapy 10/20/2019 Whole-breast: Breast Hormonal Therapy 12/19/2019 Arimidex (anastrozole)

Dec 4, 2020 02:16PM IllinoisLady wrote:

Sunny here today although another really cool morning. In the 20's then. I've been wearing most sweatshirts lately. We have the thermostat at 72. Dh should to insist that it be higher, but I think I finally convinced him that a lot of the time it is too hot -- especially when I'm doing a lot of housework. Also, 74 ( at least for me ) is way too hot to sleep. I like to bundle up under the covers and at 74 and I'm throwing them off most of the night.

Hope you all had a good day.

Dec 4, 2020 04:41PM Wren44 wrote:

We sleep cool because our upstairs is a finished attic and has baseboard heaters instead of being hooked up to the furnace. I don't trust them at all and won't have them on while I'm sleeping. It's noticeably colder when you go upstairs.

Dec 4, 2020 06:19PM ChiSandy wrote:

Our upstairs is much warmer than the front room, which desperately needs its windows caulked. (We need new windows all around, but the packing necessary for the installers to be able to move the furniture out of the way would be a nightmare). We set the thermostat (manual) at 74 during the daytime and 68-70 overnight. It's connected only to the boiler, as we have radiator heat and therefore no ductwork for central A/C.

I am aghast there are states that are still allowing indoor restaurant service these days. Even here in IL--where it's illegal--downstate sheriffs & police aren't enforcing violations. Idiot (IMHO) state legislators held a holiday party downstate last night at a restaurant with 100 unmasked people in attendance, 8 to a table (and tables not distanced). That particular restaurant stays open--even serves a buffet! Police look the other way. The state legislator who hosted the party is holding a Christmas bash at a huge banquet hall next week. And in a northern Chicago suburb, this past weekend there was a large (>150 guest) Orthodox (not-quite-Hasidic) wedding at a privately-owned Hilton. The couple had booked the event before the pandemic, but the hotel refused (or at least neglected) to cancel it. The hotel was cited, but the hosts & guests weren't--and how much you wanna bet they're gonna follow the state's advice to quarantine for the next 2 weeks? Yeah, right.

I can't believe our Gov. and Health Commissioner are keeping their cool on camera and not bashing their heads against the wall right now. Sorry if this post offends some people politically, but science is not political.

Dec 4, 2020 11:28PM - edited Dec 5, 2020 02:14AM by Cowgirl13

We're starting to go on lockdown In some counties in California starting Sunday. The tipping point for calling for the lockdown is when the available ICU vacancy's hit at 15%. Some cities/counties are using a higher percentage. Everyone here in San Francisco is so good about wearing masks and even the homeless are wearing masks. Thank God there aren't any fights over it.

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the Devil says: 'Oh crap! She's up! Dx 5/28/2009, IDC, Left, 2cm, Stage IIA, Grade 3, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+ Surgery 6/18/2009 Chemotherapy 8/3/2009 Carboplatin (Paraplatin), Taxotere (docetaxel) Radiation Therapy 12/21/2009 Hormonal Therapy 2/23/2010 Arimidex (anastrozole)

Dec 5, 2020 07:35AM IllinoisLady wrote:

Could a greater miracle take place
than for us to look through each other's eyes for an instant?
- Henry David Thoreau

Dec 5, 2020 08:17AM MCBaker wrote:

Most of my apartment is steady at 68, not on thermostat but on thermometer. I have my bedroom set at more like 60. Just set it a notch down because I woke up too warm under my weighted blanket last night. I open my bedroom door only to go to bed and when I wake up and then when I choose my clothes for the day. I could get my clothing when I wake up, but I would rather wait until I get my one cup of coffee and one cup of decaf. It is really helping me with my electricity bill.

Dec 5, 2020 08:52AM IllinoisLady wrote:

Sunny out today. I hear you about the electric bill MC. Ours is much better since the repair of our nearly new furnace. We were so fortunate that the company who repaired it were willing to help us find warranty payment ( that we deserved ) as the man who put it in did not do it correctly -- which would have voided the warranty. Than man who installed said he taught HVAC at our college here so we felt he was the best person. Didn't work out that way. He took all sorts of short cuts and was VERY sloppy with some parts of the install.

The new company did way more than they had too -- even going under the house and repairing the leaks where the hot air was heating the underside of our house. The snakes and bugs must have loved it. Then again, that was how we knew something was really wrong. At first we got huge savings by at least half of our heating bill per month -- but little by little it dropped off till we were pretty much right where we had been. Now we are back to what you should get from a nearly new high efficiency HVAC unit. We will never call anyone else again but the new company -- which is actually old and has been in business for a pretty fair amt. of time. Little changes ( or a correct install ) can make a whole lot of difference.

Also identify with needing coffee first. We were doing all decaf but find that we can get by with the half and half okay. Blood pressure improved while still getting the benefits of caffeine.

We should be locked down more, but I think we have ( poor county in poor Illinois ) officials that "don't" notice what is going on in some of the restaurants etc. Dh and I don't go -- but do sometimes do take-out of the ones we really like. Too many people still using Walmart's and not masking. We keep masks in our cars so that anywhere we go we can put them on. Of course, hospitals and Dr.'s offices require them and will not let you in without. I'm okay with that. If I could skip even having to go I would but that is not in the cards right now.

Much hope for the new vaccines even though it will be awhile as yet. But just to know that something is pretty definite now and only remains to be seen how it will get distributed to all -- that is all who will take it. I figure if Biden says it is okay and the V.A. is okay -- then I'm ready when my turn comes up.

Dec 5, 2020 11:51AM CindyNY wrote:

Heating - we used to have it programmed for 68 from 9 AM to 11 PM, then drop to 62 the rest of the time. It's radiators too, so when they get cold they REALLY get cold.

This year, remote learning with grand niece, we've just left it on 68. Upstairs are 3 bedrooms, accessed by a closed off stairwell, and it's always much cooler up there in winter (hot as haddies in summer; no ductwork for AC). So I think we get the 62 cooler temps to sleep. And I put an electric blanket on too!

We've got all newer windows throughout, bff owns a glass company and I get a family discount. They do make a difference, with noise too. We still have ancient windows on front porch (12) and back porch (8); not cost effective to replace as both are unheated spaces.

Raining here today, 39 and gloomy. I should be happy it's not snow! Slightly east of here will get snow, further into Massachusetts may get 6" of the white sruff. Tis the season.

Enjoy the weekend.

dx at 58, no family history, onco = 19 Dx 10/6/2017, DCIS/IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/5 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 11/1/2017 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Surgery 11/14/2017 Lumpectomy: Left Radiation Therapy 12/26/2017 Whole-breast: Breast Hormonal Therapy 3/1/2018 Arimidex (anastrozole)

Page 1268 of 1,290 (38,685 results)