Join Us

We are 221,192 members in 83 forums discussing 161,887 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: Can we have a forum for "older" people with bc?

Forum: Older Than 60 Years Old With Breast Cancer —

Meet other women who are similar in age and dealing with age-appropriate issues.

Posted on: Feb 7, 2009 03:29PM

Northstar wrote:

I am an "older" woman with breast cancer (I was diagnosed at 65 and am now 66).  I notice that most of the posts seem to be from people younger than I am (often by quite a bit...).   I'd love to "talk" with others my age, exchange info about their diagnoses, effects on their lives, etc.   I see that there is a forum for young women.

Someone suggested that maybe it's that older people aren't so computer-savvy or aren't used to being in online discussion groups.   However, for those who are, it would be great. 

DX 8/15/08, ILC, 5.1 cm, Stage IIb, Grade 1, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-, Oncotype DX 11.

Page 1269 of 1,299 (38,966 results)

Posts 38041 - 38070 (38,966 total)

Dec 5, 2020 04:40PM - edited Dec 5, 2020 05:18PM by ChiSandy

Sunny but chilly today. Had Zoom rehearsal at 10 am--found out how many of my castmates have joined the "not a morning person" club of late. Gotta record my melody & harmony vocals and get them to the music director by dinnertime tomorrow.

My Tipsy Elves holiday sweaters (blue with sequined tree lights for Hanukkah, black light-up, with appliques of Santa emerging from the chimney, for Christmas) arrived today, and size M fits perfectly (my other "ugly sweaters" are 2X & XL and therefore consigned to the attic). Had been planning to wear them for the Bar Show "Holiday Mashup" number, but the director wants us all in black tops and standard Santa hats (dang--there goes my sequined elf hat, too). So the festive clothing will have to be for Zoom holiday toasts & virtual visits with friends & family.

We had a garage-door-opener glitch yesterday and this a.m.--our remotes could open but not close the door; only way to lower it was holding the button on the inside wall till the door was fully down. Got ahold of the repair guy (who replaced our springs in 2018--didn't seem that long ago), who find that one of the sensors had been knocked askew, likely over time from the repeated motion of the door's flanges as it traveled the track (or--ugh--a critter in the garage, a possibility since I saw one of the mousetraps had been sprung). He showed me how to realign the sensor should the problem recur. It was worth the service call fee for Bob not to have to park two blocks away at midnight after a full, exhausting, and scary day at his hospitals.

Diagnosed at 64 on routine annual mammo, no lump. OncotypeDX 16. I cried because I had no shoes...but then again, I won’t get blisters.... Dx 9/9/2015, IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (IHC) Surgery 9/23/2015 Lumpectomy: Right Radiation Therapy 11/2/2015 3DCRT: Breast Hormonal Therapy 12/31/2015 Femara (letrozole)

Dec 6, 2020 11:11AM IllinoisLady wrote:

"Learn to enjoy every minute of your life. Be happy now. Don't wait for something outside of yourself to make you happy in the future. Think how really precious is the time you have to spend, whether it's at work or with your family. Every minute should be enjoyed and savored."

-- Earl Nightingale

Each day I am thankful for nights that turned into mornings, friends that turned into family, dreams that turned into reality and likes that turned into love. ~~~Elizabeth Kuebler-Ross Dx 9/27/2007, IDC, 5cm, Stage II, Grade 3, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2-

Dec 6, 2020 11:23AM IllinoisLady wrote:

Muted sun but lots of overcast too. Still, its a good day. Had a good breakfast -- one of the rare treats we don't do too much. Had eggs over med with hot biscuits and hamburger gravy. Blackberries afterwards. That made it an excellent day.

Nothing special planned. Baby kittens are doing fine. Took them a couple of days ago to get their first vaccinations/baby shots, flea meds, wormer, and some antibiotics. They slept for the next couple of days which is normal for getting "the works" for little ones. They are both male, orange and white and the one with white on his back is named Dilly -- the other is Dally. So named because their mother was a very sm. orange tiger-stripe and I saw their daddy who was orange and white -- and who mother Daisy was obviously dilly-dallying with.

Had no intentions at our age of having any kittens again in the household. But mother Daisy was just exhausted when the two were born ( third litter of the yr. and her first yr. ever to give birth ) and she wasn't keeping up with them well. They were flea-bitten, eye plastered shut with matter and the same around both of their noses. They were old enough so we brought them home. At our age it would be better to only have VERY adult cats, but sometimes things happen.

Glad your garage door upset sounds like it may not have to happen again for you, Sandy. Always something to keep us on our toes though. Sounds like you have it mastered, but I'm still trying to learn patience.

Hope you all have a great Sunday.

Each day I am thankful for nights that turned into mornings, friends that turned into family, dreams that turned into reality and likes that turned into love. ~~~Elizabeth Kuebler-Ross Dx 9/27/2007, IDC, 5cm, Stage II, Grade 3, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2-

Dec 6, 2020 02:34PM - edited Dec 6, 2020 02:36PM by CindyNY

IIlinoisLady - your cup runneth over with two kitties in the house. Their antics will keep you occupied for hours. You're a good person opening your home.

I see my allergist tomorrow. Last took an antihistamine before 8 AM on Thursday. I'm sniffing, blowing, feels like a faucet turned on with my runny nose. But in truth I'm not as bad as I expected. Hoping to get newest of new prescription med and an inhaler.

Those walks I take when it's real cold out cause the start of wheezing (cold exertion induced asthma) with a runny nose. My covid mask helps eliminate wheezing, ear muffs protect from an ear ache. Full testing and lung capacity test, they said to plan to be there 2.5-3 hours. I've got my list of meds ready, clothes out ready (appt is a 8 AM) and a book to bring with me.

Week looks sunny but cool. Today was windy. I had to go out back to retrieve the grill cover, blown off & wrapped around a rose bush.

Enjoy the rest of the evening.

dx at 58, no family history, onco = 19 Dx 10/6/2017, DCIS/IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/5 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 10/31/2017 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Surgery 11/13/2017 Lumpectomy: Left Radiation Therapy 12/26/2017 Whole-breast: Breast Hormonal Therapy 3/1/2018 Arimidex (anastrozole)

Dec 6, 2020 07:09PM ChiSandy wrote:

Vasomotor rhinitis is one of my pet peeves--every time I come indoors from colder or even cooler weather, my nose drips like a faucet. It's even worse at the beginning spring or end of fall allergy seasons. We've had a warmer Nov. (& thus far Dec.) than usual, and apparently there are still plenty of mold spores (especially from leaves that haven't fallen off the trees) out there, despite tree, grass & weed pollens being gone till spring. It took a neuro-ophthalmic exam to rule out a cerebrospinal fluid leak and rule in plain ol' postnasal drip--which calls to mind the old joke: "he's so stupid he thinks postnasal drip is a breakfast cereal...but we all know it's snot." Exercise in cold weather also makes my lungs "twitchy." Nevertheless, every time I have to wipe my nose or sneeze, I freak out--until I see my temp and O2 sats are normal (and I can still smell & taste)

Bob's donating blood Tues.--it comes with a free antibody test. If he does have antibodies, the deal is he'll have to agree to donate plasma. I can't ever donate again, unfortunately--even if enough time has passed after stopping Letrozole, there's still an infinitesimal but real chance that my blood could contain ocular melanoma micromets because ocular melanomas are highly vascular and when they spread, it's via the bloodstream, not the lymph system. I couldn't live with the possibility that I might have given someone a rare and ultimately aggressive cancer.

Got my Bar Show recordings for the "holiday mashup" parody done today. Words cannot express how stressful I find recording myself on an iPhone while listening to the scratch track on a separate device via earbuds (headphones "leak" the backing track into the recording). I have to do this in my closet with the door closed behind me so that the clothes muffle any echo (another thing that drives me nuts, as in the studio I like a little reverb in the headphone monitor mix of my vocal track). I have to sing loudly so I don't sound "tentative," since hearing myself via bone conduction makes me "under-sing." I sure hope the regular Bar Show will be back next year and I'll be in shape to do it.

The master choral track will be ready Tues. or Wed., and I will have to get my videos in by next Sat.

Diagnosed at 64 on routine annual mammo, no lump. OncotypeDX 16. I cried because I had no shoes...but then again, I won’t get blisters.... Dx 9/9/2015, IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (IHC) Surgery 9/23/2015 Lumpectomy: Right Radiation Therapy 11/2/2015 3DCRT: Breast Hormonal Therapy 12/31/2015 Femara (letrozole)

Dec 7, 2020 05:35AM petite1 wrote:

Good morning, ladies. 54 degrees with a low of 36 tonight. We did get the well pump filter cleaned and put in correctly. Glad that's done. There has been an increase in cases in our county. DH has a couple of buddies that tested positive. He hasn't seen them for a while and hopefully he will be OK. My wonderful cleaning lady should be here today. She is baby sitting her grand baby and is waiting for her daughter to pick her up. So I am not sure what time.

petite Dx 8/23/2019, ILC/IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/7 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2- Radiation Therapy 10/20/2019 Whole-breast: Breast Hormonal Therapy 12/19/2019 Arimidex (anastrozole)

Dec 7, 2020 02:23PM IllinoisLady wrote:

The essence of optimism is that it takes no account of the present, but it is a source of inspiration, of vitality and hope where others have resigned it enables a person to hold his or her head high, to claim the future for him or herself and not to abandon it to the enemy. -Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Dec 7, 2020 02:30PM IllinoisLady wrote:

Cloudy most of the day here. Also fairly cool -- high 40's only. I'm late again today. Just did a few extra things for the lady I'm helping with the hip replacement. It is slower than she likes, but better to go along with the flow ( what her med. team says ) so that she gets the best result possible. She is a bit younger then me. She is 72 and I'm 75. She has been a hard worker for a long time so I'm glad to help her as I too would like to see her be able to walk and not have to limp so badly as she was before her replacement.

Otherwise it has been a good day. I went into town to take care of the other lady as well, and a quick stop at the bank to make a deposit. Bill paying tomorrow. I think today ( bank visit ) was easy come, easy go tomorrow. Well, at least we have been fortunate and not had to put off paying any of the bills we owe and I feel fortunate indeed for that.

Hope you all had a wonderful day.

Dec 7, 2020 04:11PM - edited Dec 7, 2020 04:13PM by ChiSandy

Oh, s**t--Bob came home early, as his office is now closed because two staffers are quarantining. One tested negative, the other--who has a positive family member--is awaiting test results. He last saw the former five days ago and the latter a week ago. Still.....

And now he might not get the Pfizer vaccine at all: after IL's initial shipment of 109,000 doses (out of the Federal gov't's 110 million), Pfizer won't ship any more to the U.S. till at least June--because the "you-know-who-administration" declined to purchase more or even contract for an option to do so. So now, assuming he's not considered "front-line" enough as a health worker (despite multiple encounters with pre-symptomatic COVID+ patients), he will have to wait for the Moderna vaccine...or (if he can avoid getting sick till then) till June for Pfizer

I am seething.

Dec 7, 2020 04:57PM CeliaC wrote:

It would be interesting to know if any persons working for the "you-know-who-adminsitration" or cronies thereof will be among the 1st wave to receive vaccinations. No wonder you are seething, Sandy.

Re: Household Temps - We have it on 69 for most of the day, bump up to 70 if it begins to feel chilly in the early evening & then take it back down before going to bed. DH & I have widely varying personal "thermostats". He drinks copious amount of hot tea, wears a t-shirt, shirt, sweater vest & cardigan, yet still feels cold. I rarely wear any type of sweater and on occasion wear a tank top during the day!

Dx 12/2/2016, DCIS/IDC, Left, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 1, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 12/21/2016 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Radiation Therapy 2/21/2017 Whole-breast: Breast Hormonal Therapy 4/5/2017 Arimidex (anastrozole)

Dec 7, 2020 06:19PM Taco1946 wrote:

Don't know about who's in line for the vaccine but I did notice, after I read that hospitals are admitting "sicker" patients than they have in the past, that Rudy got a positive result and went to George Washington Hospital Center immediately. Arizona Legislature had to close down because some of them were in the hours long hearing that Guilliani had here last week. Some people certainly have their heads in the sand.

Sandy, I was under the impression that all medical personnel would be in the first wave. What a bummer! I certainly want my daughter, who works in the grocery industry, to get a shot before I do. I can just stay home.

Finished the last of my in-person Christmas shopping this afternoon. Was in and out of Safeway for gift cards and the library in minutes but Michael's was a zoo. Everyone was masked and sani-wipes were available for the carts but I was there longer than I had hoped to be. And the ailes aren't set up for distance shopping. Way too much stuff in there. People tried to be careful but I was glad to get home.

I haven't been able to be a blood donor since I had malaria in 1969 so haven't worried about passing cancer cells around.

Stay safe everyone!

Dx 11/22/2016, IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+ Radiation Therapy 12/29/2016 Balloon-catheter: Breast Chemotherapy 2/3/2017 Taxol (paclitaxel) Targeted Therapy 2/3/2017 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Hormonal Therapy 12/4/2017 Femara (letrozole) Surgery Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Sentinel, Underarm/Axillary Targeted Therapy

Dec 7, 2020 08:50PM ChiSandy wrote:

All the hospitals in the area will be limiting their "health workers" first round to those front-liners working in the ER, COVID unit and ICU. But since none of them will mandate that staff actually take the vaccine, there's an outside chance enough will be available that Bob may get a shot (pun intended) after all. But if he gets a positive antibody result after tomorrow's blood donation, he may wait till there's more vaccine available. If he tests antibody-positive, I will see if my PCP will order a test for me too (but If what I had last Dec. was an early mild case of COVID, I'm sure my antibodies are probably gone by now). He's been COVID-tested once (PCR) and I three times (2 pre-op rapid, 1 PCR), but those test only for active virus particles, not antibodies.

Dec 8, 2020 04:46AM petite1 wrote:

Good morning, ladies. It is 36 and feels it. My finger joints are not working. The middle finger on the right and thumb on the left are locking up. I have hardly done any Christmas shopping. I have gotten a few gift cards and that is all. I am having trouble getting the spirit. I got out my Christmas mugs and that is all. My wonderful lady that helps me couldn't come, yesterday. Maybe when she does we can get the other stuff out. As far as the gifts, my mind is blank and I can't even come up with any ideas.

petite Dx 8/23/2019, ILC/IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/7 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2- Radiation Therapy 10/20/2019 Whole-breast: Breast Hormonal Therapy 12/19/2019 Arimidex (anastrozole)

Dec 8, 2020 05:42AM carolehalston wrote:

DH finally got some feedback from the sleep clinic and he does have sleep apnea. Now he has to wait two weeks to go back and make some decisions about the apparatus he will need to use while sleeping. I hope once this is all done that he will get up in the morning feeling more rested.

Nipple-Sparing BMX w/Alloderm & Silicone Implants 7/24/09, Oncotype Dx 9, No Chemo, No Rads, Arimidex Dx 6/25/2009, IDC, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 3, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Dec 8, 2020 06:28AM IllinoisLady wrote:

The trite saying that honesty is the best policy has met with the just criticism that honesty is not policy. The real honest person is honest from conviction of what is right, not from policy. -Robert E. Lee

Dec 8, 2020 06:42AM IllinoisLady wrote:

Sandy, I hope this all works out. Seems like you encounter lots of negatives on your way to the positive. I think it sounds like we are going to have some confusing times ahead with trying to get vaccines going in Illinois. Sad that so many wrong turns were taken by those at the top of all this. We would have had a cleaner, clearer path to move forward a lot easier at the right time.

C arole, sure glad you Dh has clarity now about the sleep apnea. Not having enough "good" sleep has some risks. My BIL had his, so far one and only, car accident a few yrs. back because he had apnea. He ( afterwards ) thought he had passed out -- but I think it was more that he zoned out to the point of losing all awareness of what he was doing. I only say this because one time ( I don't have apnea ) I was so tired driving that I suddenly became aware THAT I was not at all aware of what i was doing. I pulled over and made Dh take the wheel. So it is an important part of health issues to be able to HAVE a good night's sleep for many different reasons. Your body also helps heal during 'good' sleep.

I think their are newer devices for sleep apnea that are not as intrusive as older ones. I hope all works out well.

Cloudy day here and likely will be an all day event but we have to have a balance -- can't have sun all the time.Sad

Hope you all have a really good day.

Dec 8, 2020 08:05AM mistyeyes wrote:

Petite, hoping you feel the Christmas spirit. It is harder this year without the fun of shopping and festive holiday events. Maybe start decorating with Christmas music and the spirit will follow.

Sandy, I worry about my daughter in law, she is an ER nurse. My son is super paranoid, he thinks he has it and keeps getting tested. The test always comes back negative. (He is a bit of a hypochondriac)

IDC right- Stage IIA, Grade 3,ER-,PR+,HER2+ Dx 11/15/2016, Right, PR+, HER2+

Dec 8, 2020 10:50AM Wren44 wrote:

Petite, I feel the same way. I miss seeing shop windows decorated for the season and being among shoppers. All our GS are old enough to appreciate money more than gifts. I'm sure their parents will get them something to open.

Lumpectomy and re-excision followed by mastectomy of right breast. Five years of anastrasole completed.

Dec 8, 2020 10:54AM Beaverntx wrote:

This year is the year of Amazon gift cards. We have not seen the grandchildren for so long, we have no idea about gifts (and they have not updated with lists!)

Diagnosed at age 77-- Oncotype 17, dealing with this bump in the road of life!!🎆 Dx 1/24/2018, IDC, Right, 2cm, Stage IB, Grade 3, 0/9 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (IHC) Dx 1/30/2018, DCIS, Right, <1cm, Stage 0 Surgery 1/30/2018 Lumpectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Right, Sentinel Radiation Therapy 3/11/2018 Whole-breast: Breast Surgery 6/15/2018 Prophylactic ovary removal Hormonal Therapy 6/19/2018 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone)

Dec 8, 2020 06:48PM - edited Dec 8, 2020 06:50PM by CindyNY

To be in NYS and not go to NYC during the holidays, to see a play, walk the streets to see window displays, enjoy Bryant Park, just soak up the energy, saddens me. Petite, put up some lights, get some decorations out, it brightens the house and hopefully your spirits.

Allergy testing, besides tiny bruises from 104 tests, went well. I'm no longer allergic to the world. Cats, ragweed, dust mites and hickory were my only major reactions. Dr wants me to try nasal sprays over my Claritin-D, ween down. It was quite a pleasant surprise to me.

Sandy - I took some survey on the NY Times on when in the scheme of things I'd likely be able to get a COVID vaccine. In NYS I'm out a million plus (1.8 mil); my county, about 31,400 ahead of me. But it could be June. If available in FL, the gov there (a true idiot, he lies about covid deaths) said only residents would receive them.

I'm not real comfortable heading to our FL home. Rates are high, neighbors FB shots are out in bars with bands playing, all dancing, having fun - no masks.

It's 28 here now, below freezing all day.

dx at 58, no family history, onco = 19 Dx 10/6/2017, DCIS/IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/5 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 10/31/2017 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Surgery 11/13/2017 Lumpectomy: Left Radiation Therapy 12/26/2017 Whole-breast: Breast Hormonal Therapy 3/1/2018 Arimidex (anastrozole)

Dec 8, 2020 11:07PM ChiSandy wrote:

Well, I stepped on to the scale this afternoon and...it's back to near-keto again. Not a "quarantine 15," but pretty awful nonetheless. I can still fit into my size 10s, but they don't "drape" on me like they did last month before my back went out and started my sedentary slide. (Still nags me now, but--knock wood--haven't had to take an NSAID in a few days). I let myself eat what I craved (even bedtime snacking on carbs), reasoning that portion control would prevent any damage. Nope. So it's back to peeling all the breading or batter off fried things, eating only the toppings of pizza (yup, even cauliflower-crust, which due to tapioca & rice flour is high-glycemic as hell), limiting myself to one piece of keto bread a day, eating only the innards of egg rolls, and leaving over the crust from quiche (with Cellars closed for the pandemic winter, that's one brunch temptation I won't have). And no wine with dinner when dining alone--and when eating with Bob, no more than 2 oz., either. (Winter plus no indoor restaurant dining means no wine tasting dinners to tempt me). My next official weigh-in is Jan. 28, so I'd better lose at least 5 lbs. by then.

Cindy, I wish I could get allergy-tested--but the hospital where my health system's allergy clinic is located is once again the system's COVID-only hospital. Advocate Christ is offering its first batch of Pfizer only to the COVID ICU and ER staff, but not mandating they take it. I doubt, though, there'll be any leftovers for the attendings--they''ll probably be allocated to other area hospitals that want them. If Bob can get the Pfizer at all, it'll likely be at Holy Cross, which would be getting part of the city's separate allocation. But next week Moderna will get FDA approval, and there will be a more plentiful supply. Dr. Ezike, IL's Health Commissioner, assured everyone today that new batches will arrive every week. Meanwhile, Bob donated blood today but won't find out if he has antibodies till 7-10 days from now. So he'll take the vaccine as soon as it's offered to him.

I took the NYTimes quiz too--and there would be 380,000 people ahead of me in Cook County alone.

Dec 9, 2020 05:39AM karen1956 wrote:

I wish they would add educators and anyone in schools if the schools are in the person to the essential workers list. My district just came out with its plan for spring semester. It scares me to be in the buildings unless the cases get under control. We are still over 12% positivity and we are not even at the worst of Thanksgiving travel.

Karen in Denver, Dx 02/03/2006, ILC, stage IIIa, ER/PR+, HER2-,

Dec 9, 2020 05:45AM petite1 wrote:

Good morning. It was 28 when I got up and has warmed to 32. I thought I would call my SIL and see if they would stop by on their way back to North Carolina, instead of us meeting them somewhere that I would feel uncomfortable. The grand nephew wants us to come down south, but there is just too much COVID-19 down there.

Cindy, DH has a friend whose brother had the virus, recovered and was killed in an auto accident, but listed as death from COVID. I think that was in the Orlando area. So, yes they are not recording the deaths right. Also not recording or reporting the recovered people, at all. It doesn't make sense.

Dec 9, 2020 06:21AM keywestfan wrote:

Well it’s confusingly ambiguous to be in long term congregate living. After a real push by some residents here, the Mather is offering weekly COVID testing which Medicare pays for. 99 out of 300 have signed up for it, including me.Many others say it is useless if not mandatory for everyone. Part of my reason for signing up is to protect others in these narrow corridors and elevators in case I’m an asymptomatic carrier.Confusing also is the information we are receiving about the vaccine. We are told that, though in Independent Living, we are classified as a nursing home and that The Mather has signed with CVS and Walgreens who will come here for 3 days and distribute the vaccine to us in the first go around. But, somehow, I don’t believe there will be enough vaccine even for the first responders. The other thing is I feel like a sissy, because so many residents and friends here are going to Target, Walmart, Vogue Fabrics, having ongoing bridge games for two hours in their apartments and DH and I don’t do these things. We go for long walks and distance as much as we can within the building. We picked up curbside the other night in downtown Evanston and it was like an adventurous field trip, being out in the world again. And, lastly, one very good friend here, probably unbalanced by COVID restrictions, has turned into a mean girl, bar none.She said to me, “Why are you walking so much? You’re just going to die of cancer anyway.” End of friendship! Answers to confusion will all be revealed,as everything will eventually be.

Anastrozole June 2019 Dx 2/14/2019, IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, ER+/PR+, HER2- (IHC) Surgery 3/24/2019 Lumpectomy: Right Radiation Therapy 4/30/2019 Hormonal Therapy

Dec 9, 2020 07:48AM Beaverntx wrote:

keywestfan, you are not a sissy, you are a sensibly cautious person! Or at least that is what I think we are, staying home except for necessities, masks when out, etc. Keep on taking care of yourself.

Our county health department reports, 5 days a week, current numbers for total cases, total confirmed cases, total probable cases, total suspect cases, current active cases, total recovered and total deaths. Last reported positivity rate was 20%!

Diagnosed at age 77-- Oncotype 17, dealing with this bump in the road of life!!🎆 Dx 1/24/2018, IDC, Right, 2cm, Stage IB, Grade 3, 0/9 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (IHC) Dx 1/30/2018, DCIS, Right, <1cm, Stage 0 Surgery 1/30/2018 Lumpectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Right, Sentinel Radiation Therapy 3/11/2018 Whole-breast: Breast Surgery 6/15/2018 Prophylactic ovary removal Hormonal Therapy 6/19/2018 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone)

Dec 9, 2020 11:00AM IllinoisLady wrote:

As yesterday is history, and tomorrow may never come, I have resolved from this day on, I will do all the business I can honestly, have all the fun I can reasonably, do all the good I can willingly, and save my digestion by thinking pleasantly.

📷

Robert Louis Stevenson

Dec 9, 2020 11:06AM IllinoisLady wrote:

I have started wearing a mask to the houses I go to for my little job and the one lady I just help out. Seeing news reports and reading our little daily paper here just has me worried. There are times I need to be out to get things we need and I have not actually restricted myself much for that reason. Also, helping others is not something I feel I should give up right now either. So, instead, I wear my mask wherever I go.

Have an appt. in an hr. with what will be my new cancer Dr. I'll be glad to get that underway I think. Also looking forward to tomorrow. All I'll have to do is feed the feral cats -- and the rest of the day will be mine.

Hope you all have a really good day.

Dec 9, 2020 03:13PM - edited Dec 9, 2020 03:15PM by ChiSandy

Judy, you are doing the right thing--all around. Your neighbor is likely coming unglued due to pandemic fatigue--and probably resents the fact that you & she will be on the same "priority plane" for the vaccine even though she (as far as she knows--which is not a given as we age) is not a cancer patient. Heck, I know I will likely eventually die (perhaps w/in the decade) from ocular melanoma--but so long as I'm still alive and feel well, I am taking precautions and will eagerly take my place in line for the vaccine as soon as it's offered to me. As for testing, I think it's prudent to do despite the care you & Gil have been taking, since it takes only one "covidiot maskhole" to spew enough aerosols that might sneak in the sides of your mask (highly unlikely but not impossible).

Bob says "we all have to weigh our risks, because nothing is 100% safe any more." He thinks I should get my mani tomorrow: the salon is safer than his hospitals, to which he goes daily. I'll be there for only an hour--everyone is masked, our temps get taken at the entrance, we wash our hands 3x (upon entering, between the manicure & gel polish, and again when leaving) and everything is disinfected & separated by plexiglas partitions. One of the salon's regular clients is a family practitioner (NP), so if she feels safe then I should feel so too. (Gonna double-mask, though).

But I'm still getting everything--groceries, meds, tchotchkes--delivered. Haven't set foot in a grocery store or pharmacy for over 2 weeks. I went out on to my deck this afternoon to sip my (almost-no-carb) latte and to harvest some herbs before they freeze, because it's just about the only place I can enjoy the fresh air without having to wear a mask. (I mask up even to retrieve mail, packages & takeout from my front porch--never know if someone will still be win 10 ft. Holiday decorations have covered the peephole).

Yeah, we've given in to the spirit of the season: my HK found the little fake tabletop tree we brought with us 42 years ago from our little Seattle apt., and has decked the mantel with tiny lights and fake holly. Fake garlands, bows and battery lights on the porch banisters, lights on the door wreath, and multicolored lights on our arborvitae (which now reaches to the second story). Lighted "Happy Hanukkah" sign in the front window, and tomorrow night we fire up the first bulbs in the electric menorah beside it. Not sure if St. Gertrude's will send around carolers (should be safe for them to sing outdoors, especially masked--but you never know).

And this week I'm recording my video parts in the Bar Show holiday parody mashup--we're all in black tops and red & white Santa hats (and in one number I'll have jingle-bell earrings and multicolor necklaces). Should be up & online before Christmas. Meanwhile, the most recent video is the "von Trump Family Singers" performing "So Long, Farewell" (with appropriate shots of prominent Dems reacting).

Dec 10, 2020 04:00AM petite1 wrote:

Good morning, Ladies. My grand nephew tested positive for COVID-19. He is young and healthy. Hoping for a quick recovery for him. So, Christmas plans have totally changed for the family. He has hosted Christmas at his house for about 3 years. Since DH and I were not planning on travel this year, it doesn't directly involve us.

Say what you want about the last 4 years, but I have been happy with the real estate market and the stock investments. So when the foreclosures start again, I will be in a position to go back to the rental business, if I so choose. It is what it is. When life gives you lemons, make lemonade.

Dec 10, 2020 04:57AM - edited Dec 10, 2020 05:27AM by karen1956

keywest - you are doing what is right for you. That so called "friend" is no friend. Good for you.

DH and I will be in round 2 of the vaccination delivery, but from what the news is saying that won't be till April, if not later depending on how things go. That's 4 months, so seems long, but on the positive side, maybe there will be more information regarding side effects and success rates. I'm actually hoping that my hematologist will offer it at my March visit.

We mask for everthing, except for our evening walks when it is dark and no one else is outside. We are the only "crazy" ones to walk in the dark and cold!!! Speaking of cold, I've turned into a wimp with the cold. Between Renauds in my hands and my trunk (foobs) always being cold lately, I need to bundle up like I used to in frigid weather.

Stay safe and stay healthy.

Karen in Denver, Dx 02/03/2006, ILC, stage IIIa, ER/PR+, HER2-,

Page 1269 of 1,299 (38,966 results)