Join Us

We are 220,252 members in 84 forums discussing 161,853 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: Can we have a forum for "older" people with bc?

Forum: Older Than 60 Years Old With Breast Cancer —

Meet other women who are similar in age and dealing with age-appropriate issues.

Posted on: Feb 7, 2009 04:29PM

Northstar wrote:

I am an "older" woman with breast cancer (I was diagnosed at 65 and am now 66).  I notice that most of the posts seem to be from people younger than I am (often by quite a bit...).   I'd love to "talk" with others my age, exchange info about their diagnoses, effects on their lives, etc.   I see that there is a forum for young women.

Someone suggested that maybe it's that older people aren't so computer-savvy or aren't used to being in online discussion groups.   However, for those who are, it would be great. 

DX 8/15/08, ILC, 5.1 cm, Stage IIb, Grade 1, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-, Oncotype DX 11.

Page 1277 of 1,290 (38,685 results)

Posts 38281 - 38310 (38,685 total)

Jan 4, 2021 07:13PM Taco1946 wrote:

What a wonderful way to start the new year, Cindy. I talked to a cousin and she expected her great grandson to arrive shortly before the stroke of midnight. Haven't seen any Facebook posts so don't know any details.

Just spent my first full day without my walking boot. Ankle feels pretty good. My goal is to get back to golf on Thursday - 3 weeks after my fall. In the meantime, I'm enough of a political junkie that I will be glued to the tube. Will be glad to get back to golf - not just for the exercise and laughs but I realized that I was having trouble keeping the days straight because I didn't have my regular game to look forward to. Oh Covid - go away!

Dx 11/22/2016, IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+ Radiation Therapy 12/28/2016 Balloon-catheter: Breast Chemotherapy 2/2/2017 Taxol (paclitaxel) Targeted Therapy 2/2/2017 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Hormonal Therapy 12/3/2017 Femara (letrozole) Surgery Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Sentinel, Underarm/Axillary Targeted Therapy

Jan 4, 2021 07:21PM ChiSandy wrote:

Cindy, mazel tov on the new grandson! As to the jeans, Old Navy has huge online sales going on--and again, there's always the possibility of making them capris or cutoffs--or pulling your boots on over them.

It's cold here, with ice fog. Bob called Little Co. to schedule his second shot, and they told him to call again Wed. when they expect the new shipment. (So they did not reserve enough Pfizer for followup shots). He's hoping he can get it Friday--they're not vaccinating over the weekend, Meanwhile, many vaccination centers are toying with the idea of either mixing vaccine schedules (first Pfizer, then Moderna) or even just giving only one shot apiece to Group 1a (healthcare workers, first responders and nursing home residents & staff) and then moving on to 1b (other essential workers and non-congregate >75ers). We in Group 1c (65-74 or high-risk comorbidities) will likely have to wait till April or May.

Meanwhile, hanging at home. On the fence about getting my mani Thurs.--but aren't I always? Meanwhile my pharmacy ran out of letrozole (they promise to personally deliver it to me when it comes in); but I have a small stash remaining of my NovartisUK Femara. It "expired" April 2019, but unlike antibiotics or aspirin, it's likely still good.

Diagnosed at 64 on routine annual mammo, no lump. OncotypeDX 16. I cried because I had no shoes...but then again, I won’t get blisters.... Dx 9/9/2015, IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (IHC) Surgery 9/22/2015 Lumpectomy: Right Radiation Therapy 11/1/2015 3DCRT: Breast Hormonal Therapy 12/30/2015 Femara (letrozole)

Jan 4, 2021 07:29PM Beaverntx wrote:

Cindy, I agree, a great way to start a new year. Heard today from a friend that her son's wife delivered a boy on December 29 (great tax deduction) and her daughter delivered a girl today(oops, missed the tax deduction!). All, including the grandparents, all doing well.

We are waiting for great grandchildren but don't see any on the near horizon. GD1 is 22, single, and not dating anyone regularly; GD2 is 21 and a senior in college, she does have a "boyfriend" ; next in age is GS1 who is in college and has been dating the same woman for 2 years. The rest of the grandchildren are in high and middle school. No rush!!

Diagnosed at age 77-- Oncotype 17, dealing with this bump in the road of life!!🎆 Dx 1/24/2018, IDC, Right, 2cm, Stage IB, Grade 3, 0/9 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (IHC) Dx 1/30/2018, DCIS, Right, <1cm, Stage 0 Surgery 1/30/2018 Lumpectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Right, Sentinel Radiation Therapy 3/11/2018 Whole-breast: Breast Surgery 6/15/2018 Prophylactic ovary removal Hormonal Therapy 6/19/2018 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone)

Jan 4, 2021 10:10PM karen1956 wrote:

Just heard on the news that Denver and another county won't be ready to start with 70+ for 3 to 5 weeks - they are still working on first responders, health care workers in ICU etc. I'm guessing that the lower part of 1B won't be till some time in March. Eagle County (Vail) is starting this week-end 70+ but first come first serve and drive through. This is such a cluster you know what!!!!

Karen in Denver, Dx 02/03/2006, ILC, stage IIIa, ER/PR+, HER2-,

Jan 5, 2021 05:52AM petite1 wrote:

Good morning, ladies. 36 degrees this morning. It was nice to be rolled up like a cocoon watching the sunrise through the trees, but my senior cat, Miss Felix, was meowing at the top of her lungs. So the cats are fed and I have taken my morning pills and had a cup of coffee. Have a pleasant day.

petite Dx 8/23/2019, ILC/IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/7 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2- Radiation Therapy 10/20/2019 Whole-breast: Breast Hormonal Therapy 12/19/2019 Arimidex (anastrozole)

Jan 5, 2021 03:28PM IllinoisLady wrote:

The great lesson from the true mystics is that the sacred
is in the ordinary, that it is to be found in one's daily life,
in one's neighbors, friends, and family, in one's backyard.

Abraham H. Maslow

Each day I am thankful for nights that turned into mornings, friends that turned into family, dreams that turned into reality and likes that turned into love. ~~~Elizabeth Kuebler-Ross Dx 9/27/2007, IDC, 5cm, Stage II, Grade 3, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2-

Jan 5, 2021 03:37PM IllinoisLady wrote:

Pretty cool in the morning, but we had sun almost all day with no wind. So, not a bad day at all. Got # 4 down and only 4 to go now. Happy about that. I do hate having no coffee though. That is difficult. Worth it in the end.

Didn't do much of anything today. Since I get a late start, it is difficult to feel like doing much. By the time I have us fed after chemo and the kitchen neatened up again it is about the time I normally start winding down. I do cheat though and do most of the work before I leave for the clinic -- so I really don't have much to keep up with -- just would be nice to make some headway on some of the things that have had to wait while I worked. My one little job will likely be ending after nest week -- so I will have a whole different schedule or maybe I should say -- back to the old one when I was not working anywhere. That will be okay.

I hope you all had a really nice day.

Each day I am thankful for nights that turned into mornings, friends that turned into family, dreams that turned into reality and likes that turned into love. ~~~Elizabeth Kuebler-Ross Dx 9/27/2007, IDC, 5cm, Stage II, Grade 3, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2-

Jan 6, 2021 06:54AM petite1 wrote:

IllinoisLady, glad you reached the halfway point.

petite Dx 8/23/2019, ILC/IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/7 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2- Radiation Therapy 10/20/2019 Whole-breast: Breast Hormonal Therapy 12/19/2019 Arimidex (anastrozole)

Jan 6, 2021 11:31AM IllinoisLady wrote:

The greatest wealth is to live content with little.
- Plato

Jan 7, 2021 07:04AM IllinoisLady wrote:

Kind words produce their own beautiful image in one's soul. Everyone knows the pleasure of receiving a kind look, a warm greeting, a hand held out in time of need. And such gestures can be made at so little expense, yet they bring such dividends to the investor. -The War Cry

Jan 7, 2021 07:09AM IllinoisLady wrote:

Going to be gray here today. Not to my liking -- but matching the mood of yesterday which was not a good day at all. Thinking of you all and hoping we soon can see good things happening with the covid crisis. We do not talk politics here, but I will be glad to see Jan 20th. come so we can get started on something better that will help all of us.

I have no plans for the day -- just needing the usual errands done. Seems I'm always out of cat food and it not that, dog food. So, it will be a normal day here of trying to catch up on things that get lost in the shuffle some times -- like not checking the 'feed bin ' often enough.

Hope you all have a good day.

Jan 7, 2021 07:39AM carolehalston wrote:

Jackie, glad that you're halfway there in your chemo regimen.

I spent yesterday glued to the tv. I started off watching the House and the Senate on CSpan. Then the scenes of a mob invading the Capitol. An incredible awful day. But not all that surprising. Words do matter especially when spoken by powerful politicians.

Earlier in the day, a representative from a company hired by Lowe's came and measured our counter tops, which had been cleared according to instructions. I am finally following DH's wishes and having new counter tops installed. This technician did not use a ruler to measure but used a laser measuring machine. When the company comes to install the new counter tops, they remove the old and install the new all in one day.

I picked out a white quartz which should brighten up the kitchen.

It's a gloomy day outside and will be getting colder.

Nipple-Sparing BMX w/Alloderm & Silicone Implants 7/24/09, Oncotype Dx 9, No Chemo, No Rads, Arimidex Dx 6/25/2009, IDC, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 3, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Jan 7, 2021 09:35AM petite1 wrote:

Carole, your countertops sound awesome. Hope that works out smoothly and to your liking. Yes, I agree. A sad day.

Jan 7, 2021 10:06AM Beaverntx wrote:

Jackie, good you are at the half way point and handling the chemo well. Sorry about your gray days. We are having them too. Wouldn't mind so much if the clouds brought some rain to this drought stricken area.

Carole, we changed our kitchen counters to a white quartz and it did help brighten things up. Hope you enjoy yours as much as we like ours.

Have a good day.

Diagnosed at age 77-- Oncotype 17, dealing with this bump in the road of life!!🎆 Dx 1/24/2018, IDC, Right, 2cm, Stage IB, Grade 3, 0/9 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (IHC) Dx 1/30/2018, DCIS, Right, <1cm, Stage 0 Surgery 1/30/2018 Lumpectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Right, Sentinel Radiation Therapy 3/11/2018 Whole-breast: Breast Surgery 6/15/2018 Prophylactic ovary removal Hormonal Therapy 6/19/2018 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone)

Jan 8, 2021 01:10PM IllinoisLady wrote:

Forests, lakes, and rivers,
clouds and winds, stars and flowers,
stupendous glaciers and crystal snowflakes -
every form of animate or inanimate existence,
leaves its impress upon the soul of man.
- Orison Swett Marden

In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks.
- John Muir

Jan 8, 2021 10:19PM - edited Jan 8, 2021 10:21PM by CindyNY

I started to write about the attack on the capital and realized there are no words that encompass my feelings. Disgust. If my tv could hear me yelling at it, if others could see me standing up yelling at it, I'd probably get locked up.

We've had sun, seems like it's beautiful out, until you go out. It's so cold! I ran to CVS yesterday when remote learning had an hour lull. Not sure what I was thinking, must have been preoccupied, I didn't zip my coat and out the door I went. But "they say" it's been warmer than normal.

I moved out our dates for mail forwarding from FL to NY to April 5th. And extended the cable tv date to 4/15. So I better get with the program of ice cold weather, I'll be here for dang near all of it.

Plumber here again this morning. Hahaha...have to laugh, or pull my hair out. Owner thinks the best thing to do now is have his employee snake the main drain out to the trap, and if nothing there, snake from the trap out to the road. Couldn't get a guy here until Monday 7:45 AM.

I took all my Christmas decorations down on 1/6, tree too. Now my house is dark, nothing sparkling. I told my grand niece we'll decorate for Valentine's day early. I think in FL I have a light up heart, I'll need to get one up here. We need something to look forward to!

Illinoislady congrats having your chemo treatments half way done!

I hope you all have a great weekend.

dx at 58, no family history, onco = 19 Dx 10/6/2017, DCIS/IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/5 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 11/1/2017 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Surgery 11/14/2017 Lumpectomy: Left Radiation Therapy 12/26/2017 Whole-breast: Breast Hormonal Therapy 3/1/2018 Arimidex (anastrozole)

Jan 9, 2021 06:09AM petite1 wrote:

Good morning, ladies. The high will be 54 and the low 30. It is cloudy and overcast I agree Cindy on all. I like the idea of a light up heart. I will have to look for one. My wonderful lady will be here to help me. The hands are not working today. Trigger fingers on both hands. ouch

Jan 9, 2021 07:25AM IllinoisLady wrote:

What choices are you making in your perception of the events around you? We choose how we view our times. There is a pinch of pessimism in our now. Counter it with small acts of optimism. Pick up a piece of litter that isn't yours. Show some extra grace on the freeway. Give to your food bank. Smile at a child who is in your way. Help someone you know. Help someone you don't know. The accumulation of small, optimistic acts produces quality in our culture and in your life. Our culture resonates in tense times to individual acts of grace. What's your choice? -Jennifer James, Success Is the Quality of Your Journey

Jan 9, 2021 07:36AM IllinoisLady wrote:

Goiong to be coolish outside --- looks pretty cloudy too. Sigh !! Well, the minute today or tomorrow or the next day the sun comes out I will bloom like crazy. Nothing special planned. Need to go to the bank and feed the feral cats. Maybe will visit a friend, carefullly. I have been wearing my mask when I go help the ladies I help -- and while this is a possible visit to a friend -- I will wear it as well.

petite, I'm sorry to hear your hands are not doing well. I hope it clears up for you soon.

Cindy, your heart sounds great. I had no idea you could get anything like that. Then again, the lady I help at her farm had a picture that she uses at X-mas time that has stars in the sky as well as a decorated X-mas tree and the tree lights up -- changing to several different colors at intervals. She enjoys using it through the holidays. I'm not much of a shopper so don't seem to run into those things. I've never been much of a shopper I guess, but never realized it.

I hope you all have a really nice Saturday. Stay warm.

Jan 9, 2021 07:47AM carolehalston wrote:

Today is the funeral visitation and service for our neighbor who died over at his house a week ago. DH was planning for us to go. I woke up this morning with the realization that I was not going to attend and did not think it was wise for him to attend either. I think it's foolish to go among a group of people with the present surge in Covid cases. The positivity in testing in our parish/county is between 17 and 18 percent.

I tried to visualize the awkwardness of expressing sympathy while keeping social distance. I texted a former neighbor, in her 60's, who is going and asked her to express our regrets in not being able to attend. I will also send a card expressing sympathy.

We have put ourselves on the waiting list at two pharmacies that will be receiving Covid vaccine.

On a happier note, dh's nephew and his wife in IL gave us a nice present, some meal kits from Hello Fresh. That will be interesting. DH picked out the three meals.

Happy Saturday to all.

Nipple-Sparing BMX w/Alloderm & Silicone Implants 7/24/09, Oncotype Dx 9, No Chemo, No Rads, Arimidex Dx 6/25/2009, IDC, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 3, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Jan 9, 2021 05:17PM - edited Jan 9, 2021 05:19PM by ChiSandy

I celebrated the Senate wins Tues. night with champagne and salmon roe. Then all day Wed. & Thurs., comfort food was necessary (whenever I did, however briefly, have an appetite). Still had my carb-debauch (pasta for dinner, a bran matzo with melted provolone snack, and chocolate, chocolate and more chocolate) yesterday. Getting perilously close to my pre-pandemic weight (I'd lost, rather than gained, a "quarantine 15" during the first lockdown but the weight on the scale's balance keeps getting shifted to the right), so I'd better get my act together: weigh-in (albeit by telehealth) in only 3 wks.

Bob got shot #2 yesterday. He woke up with slight achiness, but is better now. He is dismayed how many of his hospitals' nurses are refusing the vaccine, especially since the hospitals are holding the vials in reserve for their healthcare staff but surrounding minority-group neighborhoods are hard-hit with seniors & essential workers who've yet to even been offered a first shot.

Meanwhile, there was outrage on Wed. when the city of Chicago announced it would stick with the Federal 75+ minimum age guideline for Group 1B rather than follow the state's lowering it to 65. But when it was pointed out that lowering the age was due to the fact that the average age for COVID deaths in Blacks is 72 and Hispanics is 68, and that the vast majority of these senior POC (especially those working essential jobs, taking public transit & living in close quarters) live in Chicago, the city quickly reversed its decision. But seeing as how they're still doing Group 1A (healthcare workers, first-responders, congregate-care residents) we in Group 1B won't see a needle (barring a miracle) till at least early March.

Diagnosed at 64 on routine annual mammo, no lump. OncotypeDX 16. I cried because I had no shoes...but then again, I won’t get blisters.... Dx 9/9/2015, IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (IHC) Surgery 9/22/2015 Lumpectomy: Right Radiation Therapy 11/1/2015 3DCRT: Breast Hormonal Therapy 12/30/2015 Femara (letrozole)

Jan 10, 2021 07:43AM carolehalston wrote:

DH made a huge pot of soup yesterday with white beans and lentils and veggies. The recipe is Lidia's. The soup is very tasty and we have enough to open our own soup kitchen. The side was buttered slices of French bread heated in the oven.

I managed to make appointments for both of us for shots one and two of the Covid vaccine. A plus is that we don't have to drive far to the medical location.

Jan 10, 2021 08:16AM IllinoisLady wrote:

Compassion is not a relationship between the healer and the wounded.
It's a relationship between equals.
Only when we know our own darkness well
can we be present with the darkness of others.
Compassion becomes real when we recognize our shared humanity.
- Pema Chodron

Jan 10, 2021 10:11AM petite1 wrote:

It is cool, but the sun is out. Yesterday's grayness continued for my with a fall when trying to get out of the Jeep. I had smooth sole shoes on, went to get out and slipped on the garage floor. I landed on my elbow. The funny bone is not funny. Later on I decided to eat some leftovers. 20 minutes later I was very ill. I then went to bed with a Mary Kay Andrews book and I am better in all accounts today. As far as the vaccines go, the line at DOH is massive, but seems to move along. Publix is requiring appointments and there were so many, the website went down. I will try again, next week and see what happens.

Jan 10, 2021 12:25PM IllinoisLady wrote:

petite, I am so glad you are feeling better. Just wow !! Hoping you continue to improve. That sounds scary. I don't know why but it seems getting some age on us seems to make it easier to fall. Thinking of you, take care.

Jan 10, 2021 12:52PM karen1956 wrote:

My DH worries every time I fall. I have fell yesterday on a slick snow covered ice spot and I think I fell last week. I also fell in November when hiking. He worries that my luck will run out as I'm thin and have osteoporosis. Due for my DEXA scan in the fall. Over the past few years, I've taken some big falls, a couple banging my back of head - basically tripping over my own 2 feet! Petite, glad that you are okay. Carole - glad you were able to schedule the vaccines. It is very hard to do it on the computer websites. If you aren't fast enough, you loose your spot - as my DH said, like trying to buy concert tickets!!

It was cold and a little snow yesterday. maybe 2" by me and cold today but it is warming up and by Wednesday close to 60. And the sun is starting to peak out this afternoon.

Have a good Sunday.

Karen in Denver, Dx 02/03/2006, ILC, stage IIIa, ER/PR+, HER2-,

Jan 10, 2021 01:42PM Taco1946 wrote:

1B can sign up on line starting tomorrow. First responders only on Monday and over 75 on Tuesday. Not at all clear what "signing up" actually means. Can one get a real appointment or just get on another list??? I will work on Ken's Tuesday. Especially where we live, there are a lot of older adults. Arizona has been first or close to it in per capita infections for at least a week now. It will be a terrible year for the tourist industry here. I know a lot of Canadians aren't coming down. Not sure they should.

Ken is finally able to get a shot in his back tomorrow. He has been really miserable. Hope it does it. He's not excited about more back surgery.

Here's hoping for a peaceful week.

Dx 11/22/2016, IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+ Radiation Therapy 12/28/2016 Balloon-catheter: Breast Chemotherapy 2/2/2017 Taxol (paclitaxel) Targeted Therapy 2/2/2017 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Hormonal Therapy 12/3/2017 Femara (letrozole) Surgery Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Sentinel, Underarm/Axillary Targeted Therapy

Jan 10, 2021 02:02PM Beaverntx wrote:

Petite, glad you are not suffering lingering after effects from your fall. I am still working on completing the healing process from my fall last September!

Here in South central Texas, we have snow on the ground! Only the second time since we moved here fall of 2011. Not enough to build a snowman but still it is snow. Fell following a few hours of rain. Don't know how icy the roads are and don't plan on going out to find out!

Jan 10, 2021 04:10PM - edited Jan 10, 2021 04:11PM by MinusTwo

Oh Beaver - For me -I heard the snow was going to stay north of 105 in Conroe but might drop down South of I-10 in Houston. That's a ways South of me. How will my HUGE tomato plant make it? We started the morning at 42. Now it's 39, but still COLD rain, so no way I can cover that large plant. I agree - I'm not going anywhere.

2/15/11 BMX-DCIS 2SNB clear-TEs; 9/15/11-410gummies; 3/20/13 recurrance-5.5cm,mets to lymphs, Stage IIIB IDC ER/PRneg,HER2+; TCH/Perjeta/Neulasta x6; ALND 9/24/13 1/18 nodes 4.5cm; AC chemo 10/30/13 x3; herceptin again; Rads Feb2014

Jan 10, 2021 06:44PM MCBaker wrote:

OOOOhhhh--- I just can't resist it~~~ EVERY TOMATO PLANT HAS TO DIE SOMETIME.

In other news, it is 21 deg here. we may get up to 38 on Wednesday. Then three days snow is predicted, only a dusting, about four inches. I guess winter has begun. A trifle late. I have been knitting, cutting blocks for a quilt, and taking the dog for walks. I guess he needs his nightly brushing-- he has been shaking his tags at me.

Looks like they want to look at my chest-- see if there are any "calcifications". What stupid euphemisms!! I know what that word means.

Mary Dx 10/3/2018, DCIS, Right, 6cm+, Stage 0, Grade 3, ER-/PR- Surgery 11/15/2018 Lymph node removal: Sentinel; Mastectomy: Right; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Dx 11/16/2018, IDC, Right, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 1, 0/5 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2+ (IHC) Targeted Therapy 12/18/2018 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Chemotherapy 12/19/2018 Taxol (paclitaxel) Surgery 6/27/2019 Reconstruction (right): Fat grafting, Saline implant

Page 1277 of 1,290 (38,685 results)