Join Us

We are 219,697 members in 84 forums discussing 161,626 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: Can we have a forum for "older" people with bc?

Forum: Older Than 60 Years Old With Breast Cancer —

Meet other women who are similar in age and dealing with age-appropriate issues.

Posted on: Feb 7, 2009 05:29PM

Northstar wrote:

I am an "older" woman with breast cancer (I was diagnosed at 65 and am now 66).  I notice that most of the posts seem to be from people younger than I am (often by quite a bit...).   I'd love to "talk" with others my age, exchange info about their diagnoses, effects on their lives, etc.   I see that there is a forum for young women.

Someone suggested that maybe it's that older people aren't so computer-savvy or aren't used to being in online discussion groups.   However, for those who are, it would be great. 

DX 8/15/08, ILC, 5.1 cm, Stage IIb, Grade 1, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-, Oncotype DX 11.

Page 1278 of 1,282 (38,442 results)

Posts 38311 - 38340 (38,442 total)

Jan 10, 2021 07:55PM ChiSandy wrote:

Surprisingly, my thyme, rosemary, about 1/3 of my mint and even a stalk of parsley are hanging on outdoors. Live & learn. Meanwhile, the basil (from a supermarket package) I put in water and covered with a plastic bag as a "greenhouse" in front of a sunny window has put down roots and even needs pinching back. And the seedlings from a hydroponic kit need feeding again. Not big enough to need transplanting, of course. And finally, I have a vase of "pandemic scallions:" the low-carber's alternative to sourdough bread-baking.

Diagnosed at 64 on routine annual mammo, no lump. OncotypeDX 16. I cried because I had no shoes...but then again, I won’t get blisters.... Dx 9/9/2015, IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (IHC) Surgery 9/23/2015 Lumpectomy: Right Radiation Therapy 11/2/2015 3DCRT: Breast Hormonal Therapy 12/31/2015 Femara (letrozole)

Jan 10, 2021 08:11PM MCBaker wrote:

Unfortunately, I don't get enough light in my south-facing windows to grow anything. I do have an aloe, a peace lily, and I can't think of the name of the third one. Almost got a poinsettia from church today, but had no way of getting it home alive.

Headache was barely there an hour ago is growing....I guess I will have to go to bed with a hot rice bag.

Mary Dx 10/3/2018, DCIS, Right, 6cm+, Stage 0, Grade 3, ER-/PR- Surgery 11/15/2018 Lymph node removal: Sentinel; Mastectomy: Right; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Dx 11/16/2018, IDC, Right, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 1, 0/5 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2+ (IHC) Targeted Therapy 12/18/2018 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Chemotherapy 12/19/2018 Taxol (paclitaxel) Surgery 6/27/2019 Reconstruction (right): Fat grafting, Saline implant

Jan 10, 2021 09:08PM jhl wrote:

I hope all who have fallen are slowly healing. I have a bit of the remainder of my raccoon black eyes after my fall. The big bruise on my right forearm is a bit behind the eyes. I admit, I see how long it takes for the superficial aspects of a fall to heal then I think of how our diagnosis causes scars which take time to heal. I am trying to have more patience.

Today has been sunny & mild. We have a high pressure system building over the Northern California coast so that means the storms from the Pacific Ocean will head to Washington. I hope that does not mean we are starting a drought again.

Jan 10, 2021 09:14PM Taco1946 wrote:

Mary - hope they get those calcifications looked at quickly and you can relax. It's so hard to look forward when the big C is hanging on our backs. But we have some pretty good role models here.

DH is getting first injection of this round of steroids for his back tomorrow. Hope it helps as he has been really miserable. He has to get in the 1B line this week too although I think it will be while. Our daughter in Maine who is a grocery store worker hasn't heard anything either. Sill hoping for a summer visit to Maine. Haven't seen her or my sister since Nov 2019.

Dx 11/22/2016, IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+ Radiation Therapy 12/29/2016 Balloon-catheter: Breast Chemotherapy 2/3/2017 Taxol (paclitaxel) Targeted Therapy 2/3/2017 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Hormonal Therapy 12/4/2017 Femara (letrozole) Surgery Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Sentinel, Underarm/Axillary Targeted Therapy

Jan 11, 2021 06:35AM petite1 wrote:

Good morning, ladies. It is warmer today and should go to 70. I am feeling pretty good. Other than a bruise on my elbow, I have no residuals from the fall. Thank you all for the kind words.

petite Dx 8/23/2019, ILC/IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/7 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2- Radiation Therapy 10/20/2019 Whole-breast: Breast Hormonal Therapy 12/19/2019 Arimidex (anastrozole)

Jan 11, 2021 09:02AM MCBaker wrote:

COVID has me comfortable with fewer social interactions. This might help me make the move back home. Looked at average low temp here in January is 9 deg, average low back home is 15.

Just got back from our morning walk. My hiking poles saved me from one hard fall. I have new ones. and sold back my old ones to the previous owner.

I didn't use my atomizer last night, and woke up with a headache. Got the living-room one going, and set up the bedroom one for tonight. I get so tired at night my brain goes blink.

Mary Dx 10/3/2018, DCIS, Right, 6cm+, Stage 0, Grade 3, ER-/PR- Surgery 11/15/2018 Lymph node removal: Sentinel; Mastectomy: Right; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Dx 11/16/2018, IDC, Right, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 1, 0/5 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2+ (IHC) Targeted Therapy 12/18/2018 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Chemotherapy 12/19/2018 Taxol (paclitaxel) Surgery 6/27/2019 Reconstruction (right): Fat grafting, Saline implant

Jan 11, 2021 05:02PM IllinoisLady wrote:

The value of all service lies in the spirit in which you serve and not in the importance or magnitude of the service. Even the lowliest task or deed is made holy, joyous, and prosperous when it is filled with love. -Charles Fillmore

Each day I am thankful for nights that turned into mornings, friends that turned into family, dreams that turned into reality and likes that turned into love. ~~~Elizabeth Kuebler-Ross Dx 9/27/2007, IDC, 5cm, Stage II, Grade 3, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2-

Jan 11, 2021 05:14PM IllinoisLady wrote:

It seems like I am always prone to be late on Mondays. I do go to two places and I think that will stay the same for awhile. It was a cold day, but not bad as there was almost no breeze. I notice it more when I am out at the farm as there are so many wide open spaces. We are going to zip all the way up to the 50's for a couple days -- then back to cooler. Hmm. It is early in the yr. as yet. We have had warm temps now and then in Feb. and a time or two freak snows the first of April. I have quit bothering -- it will be whatever comes. I'm hoping we get through the yr. w/o much for snow. So far we had the one snow ( almost not enough to bother shoving off the deck at an inch and a half -- just a slight amt. more than a dusting.

I hope you all had a good day. Stay well.

Each day I am thankful for nights that turned into mornings, friends that turned into family, dreams that turned into reality and likes that turned into love. ~~~Elizabeth Kuebler-Ross Dx 9/27/2007, IDC, 5cm, Stage II, Grade 3, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2-

Jan 11, 2021 05:18PM - edited Jan 11, 2021 05:28PM by ChiSandy

I'm comfortable with the stay-home-unless-absolutely-necessary order too.This Fri. IL will be going back to Tier 2 mitigations (non-essential shops allowed to open for limited indoor shopping, more people allowed in gyms, facials & beard trims allowed again; but still no indoor dining or drinking). But since the city's numbers are still a bit higher, we're sticking with Tier 3 till the 22d. Bob is okay now with tent dining, but only for himself--he advises I wait till the earlier of a week after my second shot (still haven't been offered a first one, even though the state says those 65+ are now eligible) or it's warm enough for patio dining--tents with at least an entire wall open.

As to being mostly locked-down: any T.S. Eliot fans here? Remember "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock?" Specifically the part about the narrator's days being counted out in coffee spoons? My days are measured out by cat food cans. I am Heidi's cat-waitress and Happy's cat-mattress. He has an unerring instinct for when I am about to do something that would otherwise occupy my lap.

Still in shock over yesterday's shooting spree that went from the far South Side to just over the city line in Evanston. The shooter, after killing 3 others and critically wounding twice as many, took and killed a hostage at the IHOP on Howard & Western--which, BTW, has largely been ignoring COVID precautions, allowing customers to congregate in the vestibule awaiting their pickup orders--before being shot & killed by the Evanston P.D. in front of a dollar store in an adjacent strip mall. Had Bob decided to work at the Union Health facility up there instead of the main one down in the Medical District....I don't wanna think about it.

The only upside to the violent unrest (for me) is that I haven't had to take a stool softener since Wed. afternoon. TMI....

Diagnosed at 64 on routine annual mammo, no lump. OncotypeDX 16. I cried because I had no shoes...but then again, I won’t get blisters.... Dx 9/9/2015, IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (IHC) Surgery 9/23/2015 Lumpectomy: Right Radiation Therapy 11/2/2015 3DCRT: Breast Hormonal Therapy 12/31/2015 Femara (letrozole)

Jan 11, 2021 06:53PM - edited Jan 11, 2021 06:56PM by MCBaker

Stress does make the digestive system move faster.

Sorry for the poor lighting. I got this in the mail today. It is some wrap pants.

There is talk today about opening shots up to over 70-- I will be 71 in 17 days.

Jan 11, 2021 09:02PM keywestfan wrote:

Prufrock. is my favorite poem, first read at 16 at the U of C in Humanities 2. We were in the Hutchins era and all entered at 15 or 16. I understand about coffee spoons and Michelangelo and “ I grow old. I grow old” and about eating a peach, far better now than then. Howard street is where I worked for the Council of Jewish Elderly and, even in the 80’s, it was sketchy. Was eating dinner in that shopping center the night Princess Diana was killed. The waitress did not charge us.

Here, finally, after so much misinformation, like that we had been downgraded to 1c on the idea thar those of us in Congregate Independent Living would be classified in the 65 and older group, Walgreens came through with dates for us, January 27 for the first Pfizer shot , February 17 for second. Three Crowns, another Congregate Living Place in Evanston is getting theirs tomorrow. I think, with the shots, it will be less scary walking around here, maybe the dining rooms will open, but we will go very slowly with stepping out into the big world once again.

Anastrozole June 2019 Dx 2/14/2019, IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, ER+/PR+, HER2- (IHC) Surgery 3/23/2019 Lumpectomy: Right Radiation Therapy 4/30/2019 Hormonal Therapy

Jan 11, 2021 10:16PM - edited Jan 11, 2021 10:18PM by kathindc

DC opened up vaccine appointments for 65+ today. Over 6,000 calls were made and the 800 appointments were snapped up quickly. None left for this week. Going to make sure I'm ready when the site opens up again.

Jan 12, 2021 12:17AM - edited Jan 13, 2021 07:56PM by ChiSandy

Happy early birthday, Mary--you're a year ahead of me (I turn 70 on the 23d). You look great--the orange top and those new wrap pants. Orange is definitely your color. (Remember the old "Color Me Beautiful" fad? I'd peg you as a "spring" or "autumn").

Congrats on the vax appointments, Judy! I, too, entered college at 16: got yanked out of kindergarten and put into 1st grade when they caught me reading to the other kids at recess, and then took NYC's "2-yr. S.P." program in jr. high--7th & 8th grade the first year, 9th grade the next. Back then, everyone except parochial school grads entered HS as sophomores.

If you were at the CJE in the '80s, did you know Alan Goldberg (who later moved to the Jewish Council on Urban Affairs)? He was the keyboard player in our cover band Lake Effect (and later, Lake Effect Lite, the acoustic no-drummer version). We played together for 6 years. He also played in the Chicago Coalition for the Homeless Blues Band. I'd have joined that, but they already had a bassist who could play rings around me.

Gov. Pritzker announced that vaccine phase 1B, including those 65+ will start tomorrow...but only for areas already finished with 1A. Chicago has administered 42% of its allocation (including second doses) to workers living outside the city--so doctors living on the N.Shore and in the wealthy DuPage suburbs basically get to prevent community spread in some of the state's already-least-impacted areas. Meanwhile, city neighborhoods of color--especially where essential workers >65 live in multi-generational apts. & small houses--are still heavily-impacted, with their residents who aren't front-line medical workers not having been offered their first doses. How is that "social equity?"

Speaking of Pritzker, he also announced that some mitigations will begin to be relaxed (Tier 2 of Phase 3) starting this Fri. the 15th, but Lightfoot is keeping Chicago at Tier 3 of Phase 3 till the 22nd. Both the city & state are moving in the right direction, and have met target metrics for a couple of weeks or more, but out of an abundance of caution (and 4 days remaining before we know for sure there hasn't been a post-New Year's Eve surge) and because the positivity rate in the city is a little higher than the state average, we're nearly locked down for an extra week. The city's positivity rate is at 10%, but the state's is down to 7.9%. By contrast, IN is at 27.9% and WI 29.7%. Not coincidentally, those states have been "wide-open" with their state gov'ts. mocking mask mandates. (WI has a Dem. Gov., but a GOP legislature and Supreme Ct.--and as soon as he was elected, the legislature passed measures to drastically cut his powers and make him a mere figurehead).

Because of that, I've laid down the law to Bob: we don't need cheaper gas. And we no longer have to go to IN or WI to buy PowerBall tickets.

Jan 12, 2021 07:13AM karen1956 wrote:

My school district has put special service providers in 1A or top of 1B - and we should expect an email in the next 2 weeks regarding process to sign up. Kaiser is also giving shots to members and nonmembers ages 70+ and first responders.

Karen in Denver, Dx 02/03/2006, ILC, stage IIIa, ER/PR+, HER2-,

Jan 12, 2021 08:17AM MCBaker wrote:

My son got his first shot a week ago. He is looking forward to his second shot. He said something that indicated that he thought that the pandemic will be over. I reminded him that it is over for where he is, but not worldwide. Sigh. High functioning autism and its cognitive glitches.

Anyway, I am nearly dressed, but Tippy has not yet asked to go for a walk. So I guess I get to dress up.

Jan 12, 2021 09:09AM IllinoisLady wrote:

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate.
Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.
It is our light, not our darkness, that most frightens us.
We ask ourselves,
Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?
Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God.
Your playing small does not serve the world.
There is nothing enlightened about shrinking
so that other people won't feel insecure around you.
We are all meant to shine, as children do.
We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us.
It is not just in some of us; it is in everyone.
And as we let our own light shine,
we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same.
As we are liberated from our own fear,
our presence automatically liberates others.
- Marianne Williamson

Jan 12, 2021 10:20AM petite1 wrote:

MC, I love the wrap pants. I have a pair with bright tropical prints.

It is cold and overcast, again. My adventure for today is getting my haircut. I am not going to the place that cuts every older lady's hair the same. I will let you know how it goes.

Sandy, I agree, I am counting cat food spoons. LOL

petite Dx 8/23/2019, ILC/IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/7 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2- Radiation Therapy 10/20/2019 Whole-breast: Breast Hormonal Therapy 12/19/2019 Arimidex (anastrozole)

Jan 12, 2021 02:23PM mistyeyes wrote:

MC - I like the wrap pants. They look great and look like they are very comfortable.

IDC right- Stage IIA, Grade 3,ER-,PR+,HER2+ Dx 11/15/2016, Right, PR+, HER2+

Jan 12, 2021 03:19PM CindyNY wrote:

MCBaker - I too like the pants, they look great.

Here in NY it was announced 65+ can sign up. I got online, months are booked out at our state university site. But as it goes my partner w be 65 on 3/1, I got his appt for 3/18. Feeling relieved.

For me, I'm guessing June. Unless they do something for cancer survivors. There were questions when I filled out the form for him - one was have you had cancer, another was have you had radiation. But by virtue of my age, excluded so far.

dx at 58, no family history, onco = 19 Dx 10/6/2017, DCIS/IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/5 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 10/31/2017 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Surgery 11/13/2017 Lumpectomy: Left Radiation Therapy 12/26/2017 Whole-breast: Breast Hormonal Therapy 3/1/2018 Arimidex (anastrozole)

Jan 13, 2021 08:58AM petite1 wrote:

Good morning, ladies. I am happy with my hair cut. It was a nice place, clean, everyone with masks and shields. The lady that cut my hair used to be at a place I went to over 5 years ago. It closed. I tried to follow her, but didn't like the first place she went to and I then lost track. I have a new place now.

On other news, my BFF has cold symptoms and is getting a COVID test today. She should have results in 2-3 days. We met for lunch about a week ago. We had on masks except when we ate.

Does anyone know, if you recover from COVID, do you need a vaccine? "Dr. Google" had mixed answers.

It is cloudy and cool.

Jan 13, 2021 09:01AM carolehalston wrote:

I'm not familiar with "wrap pants." That's how out of fashion I am.

My vaccination went well yesterday. The nearby medical center was highly organized and a steady stream of mostly older folks got their first shots. My arm was quite sore at the injection site last night and is still sore today, but not nearly the same degree of soreness as when I got the first shingles shot.

All three of my siblings who are "older" have also gotten their first shots in different towns in south Louisiana. Our Democrat governor has done a good job of being governor during this pandemic although he has been the object of intense criticism from the Republican legislature who tried to undermine his authority. Fortunately the courts have supported him.

Nothing is guaranteed but I feel relieved and look forward to getting the 2nd shot in early Feb.

The sun is shining today and it's not quite as cold as yesterday.

Nipple-Sparing BMX w/Alloderm & Silicone Implants 7/24/09, Oncotype Dx 9, No Chemo, No Rads, Arimidex Dx 6/25/2009, IDC, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 3, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Jan 13, 2021 01:03PM Wren44 wrote:

Petite, They aren't sure how long protection lasts after having covid. I would probably get the vaccine.

Lumpectomy and re-excision followed by mastectomy of right breast. Five years of anastrasole completed.

Jan 13, 2021 01:20PM kathindc wrote:

Petite, I’ve heard the same thing about getting the vaccine after having covid. If I recall correctly, and I could be wrong, I think there is a period of time you should wait between having had covid and getting the vaccine.

Jan 13, 2021 02:58PM IllinoisLady wrote:

Most true happiness comes from one's inner life, from the disposition of the mind and soul. Admittedly, a good inner life is difficult to achieve, especially in these trying times. It takes reflection and contemplation and self-discipline. -William L. Shirer

Jan 13, 2021 03:07PM IllinoisLady wrote:

Cloudy mainly today, but warmer. The morning was fairly chilly but the warming came fast. Should have another fairly warm day tomorrow, then cooler again. It will be interesting to see just what does come. So far, even the cold has been okay w/o the snow although overall I prefer warm weather. That would be warm, rather than hot and humid.

I'm out of fashion too so I will have to look up wrap pants. Then again -- fashion and style are sort of lost on me. I usually get most things out of Good Will or something akin to that. Not always to save money though I appreciate that -- just that I'm not good at creating a wardrobe for myself -- so better I stick with certain stores because my mistakes in the past have been expensive. I've always been like this so it no loners bothers me. I'm no better with make up and that is okay for me too.

Hope you all have had a really good day.

Jan 13, 2021 04:02PM Wren44 wrote:

Nice and sunny here today, about 50. Last night we had a wind storm that took out power and downed trees all over Puget Sound. We were lucky and our only product of the storm was a blown over plastic chair. We've had days and days of rain, so trees were in very soft soil. We're looking for a new house and the areas with lots of fir trees make me nervous.

I had a pattern years ago for wrap pants. I don't know if these are the same thing. They were attractive but not necessarily modest in the Okla winds.

Lumpectomy and re-excision followed by mastectomy of right breast. Five years of anastrasole completed.

Jan 13, 2021 04:20PM MCBaker wrote:

wevez.com/products/australian-... The disadvantage is that you buy without seeing them, since they are all different. But you can buy a package of five or ten (like $7 per item) and sell those you don't like to friends, and the least liked can go to Goodwill. I just got a package of skirts, and it looks like none of them will go to Goodwill; I bought more skirt hangers.

Jan 13, 2021 06:52PM Cowgirl13 wrote:

I think we used to call them palazzo pants. They are great!

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the Devil says: 'Oh crap! She's up! Dx 5/28/2009, IDC, Left, 2cm, Stage IIA, Grade 3, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+ Surgery 6/17/2009 Chemotherapy 8/2/2009 Carboplatin (Paraplatin), Taxotere (docetaxel) Radiation Therapy 12/21/2009 Hormonal Therapy 2/22/2010 Arimidex (anastrozole)

Jan 13, 2021 07:18PM MinusTwo wrote:

Yup Cowgirl. I remember that.

2/15/11 BMX-DCIS 2SNB clear-TEs; 9/15/11-410gummies; 3/20/13 recurrance-5.5cm,mets to lymphs, Stage IIIB IDC ER/PRneg,HER2+; TCH/Perjeta/Neulasta x6; ALND 9/24/13 1/18 nodes 4.5cm; AC chemo 10/30/13 x3; herceptin again; Rads Feb2014

Jan 14, 2021 08:43AM petite1 wrote:

I bought mine when we went on a cruise. They are one size fits all. I am petite and they fit. I could not imagine someone 5'10" and a larger size lady being comfortable in them. They would be risque.

My brother is sick and waiting for his test results. It sounds like COVID-19 symptoms. My friend is still waiting for her results. Her symptoms, not so much. I think both should have their results tomorrow.

41 degrees and gray, going to 60. I am ready for some sunshine.

Page 1278 of 1,282 (38,442 results)