Join Us

We are 220,252 members in 84 forums discussing 161,853 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: Can we have a forum for "older" people with bc?

Forum: Older Than 60 Years Old With Breast Cancer —

Meet other women who are similar in age and dealing with age-appropriate issues.

Posted on: Feb 7, 2009 06:29PM

Northstar wrote:

I am an "older" woman with breast cancer (I was diagnosed at 65 and am now 66).  I notice that most of the posts seem to be from people younger than I am (often by quite a bit...).   I'd love to "talk" with others my age, exchange info about their diagnoses, effects on their lives, etc.   I see that there is a forum for young women.

Someone suggested that maybe it's that older people aren't so computer-savvy or aren't used to being in online discussion groups.   However, for those who are, it would be great. 

DX 8/15/08, ILC, 5.1 cm, Stage IIb, Grade 1, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-, Oncotype DX 11.

Page 1281 of 1,290 (38,685 results)

Posts 38401 - 38430 (38,685 total)

Jan 23, 2021 10:06AM IllinoisLady wrote:

In the Now, there really is no destination. Each moment is lived for its own sake, even as you move toward whatever you many choose to pursue. When you are focused on some outcome or achievement--or are looking forward to the day when you are able to live in conditions that you imagine will be superior to whatever currently exists--your life right now becomes just an interval on the way to the next event. -Richard Moss

Each day I am thankful for nights that turned into mornings, friends that turned into family, dreams that turned into reality and likes that turned into love. ~~~Elizabeth Kuebler-Ross Dx 9/27/2007, IDC, 5cm, Stage II, Grade 3, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2-

Jan 23, 2021 10:13AM IllinoisLady wrote:

Sunny but cold today, as it has been. As long as the sun it out I can handle most anything. I do believe we may all have some issues with the vaccine injections. Can't say it bothers me if older people have possible reactions not quite so strong or perhaps lasting as long. I still have no idea when we will get ours. I'm thinking about calling our local health dept. The thing is -- we are mainly a 'retirement' type town -- so there could be quite a line. That doesn't even take into acct. other factors.

Carole, I haven't gone yet to your Etsy site, but likely will since I am fond of some of the things you offer -- like dishcloths. I haven't used the "regular" kind in years now. Once I found the knitted variety -- I slowly filled my drawer ( washing and drying items ) in the kitchen with knitted items for wash ups of the kitchen and the dishes. I do have a dishwasher but you never do everything in them. So, I will have to go back and find your site name -- as usual I let it go past and did not write it down because that would have been too easy one me. Sigh !! Well, it will work out. I hope you all have a nice Saturday with hopefully some sun and not too hot or humid weather.

Each day I am thankful for nights that turned into mornings, friends that turned into family, dreams that turned into reality and likes that turned into love. ~~~Elizabeth Kuebler-Ross Dx 9/27/2007, IDC, 5cm, Stage II, Grade 3, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2-

Jan 23, 2021 10:28AM Betrayal wrote:

It is sunny but cold here today. Currently at 29 degrees F and quite windy which means it is colder. I'll work inside today on the basement offices with sorting, tossing and donating. It is slow slogging but the end product is worth it.

Happy birthday, Sandy and hope it brings you joy with a special meal as well.

Have a good weekend all.

Surgery 1/31/2016 Lumpectomy: Left Surgery 1/31/2016 Lymph node removal: Sentinel Surgery 3/3/2016 Lumpectomy: Left Radiation Therapy 3/30/2016 Whole-breast: Breast Hormonal Therapy 6/24/2016 Arimidex (anastrozole) Hormonal Therapy 5/18/2017 Femara (letrozole) Hormonal Therapy 6/15/2020 Aromasin (exemestane)

Jan 23, 2021 11:27AM Beaverntx wrote:

Sandy, happy birthday and may celebrating next year be much less complicated!!!

Diagnosed at age 77-- Oncotype 17, dealing with this bump in the road of life!!🎆 Dx 1/24/2018, IDC, Right, 2cm, Stage IB, Grade 3, 0/9 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (IHC) Dx 1/30/2018, DCIS, Right, <1cm, Stage 0 Surgery 1/30/2018 Lumpectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Right, Sentinel Radiation Therapy 3/11/2018 Whole-breast: Breast Surgery 6/15/2018 Prophylactic ovary removal Hormonal Therapy 6/19/2018 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone)

Jan 23, 2021 01:06PM Wren44 wrote:

Happy Birthday Sandy!! Actually, celebrate all week.

Lumpectomy and re-excision followed by mastectomy of right breast. Five years of anastrasole completed.

Jan 23, 2021 04:13PM ChiSandy wrote:

Thanks!

Carole, it's likely your golf buddy may have been exposed up to a week before or a few days after her first Pfizer shot--just like the Dem. Congresspersons holed up in the "safe room" with the maskless covidiot Republicans in there. The shot--even just the first one--does make it likelier that the infection will be milder. She should wait the max. time (CDC says in a pinch, as long as 6 weeks or even mixing brands might be okay) for her second shot. When she recovers, the combo of the first shot, the monoclonal-antibody treatment and the infection itself might produce enough antibodies to be protective for 6 months--unless what she caught was the South African variant, which is resistant to antibody (including convalescent plasma) treatment, can be caught again, but is probably not as contagious as the UK variant and may not be resistant to currently available vaccines.

Bob (who is 71) didn't even get a sore arm after his first Pfizer shot; but 12 hrs after his second, he began getting muscle aches; by 24 hrs. he was running a low-grade fever >100F. Gave him a couple of extra-strength Tylenol, which worked w/in a couple of hours. The side effects did not return. As for me, after my first (and only) Zometa infusion I got a "faux-flu:" spiked a fever (up to 103F) and got bone, joint & muscle aches--which lasted almost 3 days. You can see why I switched to Prolia, which didn't even give me a sore arm.

We are predicted to get as much as 9" of snow overnight Mon. into Tues. morning. Already hired our snow guy to dig out the "apron" behind our garage into the alley so I can get out and make my vax appt. in time. (They said to get there 15 min. early). Thank goodness I have an Outback now--raised undercarriage plus AWD may help immensely.

Diagnosed at 64 on routine annual mammo, no lump. OncotypeDX 16. I cried because I had no shoes...but then again, I won’t get blisters.... Dx 9/9/2015, IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (IHC) Surgery 9/22/2015 Lumpectomy: Right Radiation Therapy 11/1/2015 3DCRT: Breast Hormonal Therapy 12/30/2015 Femara (letrozole)

Jan 23, 2021 04:52PM IllinoisLady wrote:

Sandy, hope you don't get all that much snow. Glad though you have good transportation if needed. AWD is such a blessing. Here's hoping all goes well.

Jan 23, 2021 06:27PM Wren44 wrote:

My son in Hood River, OR says subaru outback AWD is the best selling car in his area. Lots of outdoors people and lots of steep hills.

Lumpectomy and re-excision followed by mastectomy of right breast. Five years of anastrasole completed.

Jan 23, 2021 09:09PM MCBaker wrote:

Sandy, Happy birthday!!

I am consumed with sleepiness. I made a few phone calls Thursday and Friday, my pcp is on vacation. Her nurse asked another doctor to review my file. That doctor said that a change in medication is not warranted, and repeated a previous suggestion of a sleep study. I am sick and tired of trying to figure this out on my own. The only problem I have is leaving Tippy at home. But I suppose that he is perfectly capable of taking care of himself for one overnight. I have scented a piece of astroturf with eau de Tippy. I will put it in the tub, and hope that he takes the hint.

Mary Dx 10/3/2018, DCIS, Right, 6cm+, Stage 0, Grade 3, ER-/PR- Surgery 11/15/2018 Lymph node removal: Sentinel; Mastectomy: Right; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Dx 11/16/2018, IDC, Right, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 1, 0/5 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2+ (IHC) Targeted Therapy 12/18/2018 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Chemotherapy 12/19/2018 Taxol (paclitaxel) Surgery 6/27/2019 Reconstruction (right): Fat grafting, Saline implant

Jan 23, 2021 11:03PM ChiSandy wrote:

Mary, definitely do a sleep study: daytime sleepiness is usually a result of sleep apnea.

Diagnosed at 64 on routine annual mammo, no lump. OncotypeDX 16. I cried because I had no shoes...but then again, I won’t get blisters.... Dx 9/9/2015, IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (IHC) Surgery 9/22/2015 Lumpectomy: Right Radiation Therapy 11/1/2015 3DCRT: Breast Hormonal Therapy 12/30/2015 Femara (letrozole)

Jan 24, 2021 09:20AM petite1 wrote:

Carole, My business taxes are due before the personal taxes. We have rentals and slowly selling them off as people move out or buy them. We bought them in the real estate crash and rent them to people that have problems obtaining a rental. If they have a job or social security, we take a chance. We rent low and don't raise the rent. We have provided "my first place" to several young people that have not yet achieved a credit rating. We have had these young people get married, start families and decide to buy. We have put in wheel chair ramps to accommodate newly disabled folks. At one time there were 11 rentals, now we have 3. In our advancing age, less is better.

It is gray, again, but mild. Going to 77.

petite Dx 8/23/2019, ILC/IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/7 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2- Radiation Therapy 10/20/2019 Whole-breast: Breast Hormonal Therapy 12/19/2019 Arimidex (anastrozole)

Jan 24, 2021 09:40AM IllinoisLady wrote:

If we could but recognize our common humanity, that we do belong together, that our destinies are bound up in one another's, that we can be free only together, that we can be human only together, then a glorious world would come into being where all of us lived harmoniously together as members of one family, the human family. -Desmond Tutu

Jan 24, 2021 09:56AM IllinoisLady wrote:

Petite, you sound like 'rare' landlords that recognized that circumstances in life are not favorable to many -- and while I'm sure you have likely had less than great experiences -- you have also provided stepping stones to others who I hope went on to achieve comfort and some stability. Glad to hear though that you are cutting back. You are right -- there comes a time when older age needs to make way for someone else to take up the mantle. You are a good soul. On behalf of the Universe, thank you.

Drizzly this morning, and likely gray all day again. Never to my liking but then gray skies have never been my color. Coolish still but not so much that the rain is an issue with freezing so that is REALLY good. I'm just happy to have another day to do things I need to get done. Hoping that you all have a really good day today.

Jan 24, 2021 10:05AM - edited Jan 24, 2021 10:07AM by MCBaker

My mother had apnea, and used a c-pap for years. Part of my resistance is this: www.webmd.com/sleep-disorders/... Although the nature of the relationship is vague. ore recent evidence on the association between alzheimer's and hearing loss is that untreated hearing loss can contribute.

Mary Dx 10/3/2018, DCIS, Right, 6cm+, Stage 0, Grade 3, ER-/PR- Surgery 11/15/2018 Lymph node removal: Sentinel; Mastectomy: Right; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Dx 11/16/2018, IDC, Right, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 1, 0/5 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2+ (IHC) Targeted Therapy 12/18/2018 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Chemotherapy 12/19/2018 Taxol (paclitaxel) Surgery 6/27/2019 Reconstruction (right): Fat grafting, Saline implant

Jan 24, 2021 12:46PM Beaverntx wrote:

Socked in here at almost noon and 66 degrees, can barely see the neighbors. Not raining but the air is so full of moisture the walk is wet. Glad to not be driving and have no intentions of taking a walk outside. We really need rain so perhaps this will help, just need to get the moisture out of the air and into the ground.

Diagnosed at age 77-- Oncotype 17, dealing with this bump in the road of life!!🎆 Dx 1/24/2018, IDC, Right, 2cm, Stage IB, Grade 3, 0/9 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (IHC) Dx 1/30/2018, DCIS, Right, <1cm, Stage 0 Surgery 1/30/2018 Lumpectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Right, Sentinel Radiation Therapy 3/11/2018 Whole-breast: Breast Surgery 6/15/2018 Prophylactic ovary removal Hormonal Therapy 6/19/2018 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone)

Jan 24, 2021 03:54PM IllinoisLady wrote:

McBaker, that is fascinating information. I was concerned that it was such a sm. study, but they themselves addressed it later on. Since I have always found sleep a wonderful restorative I do think concern for anything that seems to interfere with good sleep likely should be dealt with if at all possible. So, good thing to have a sleep study. If I were there I would take care of Tippy for you.

I note the Pulmonologist I see claims that I have C.O.P.D. and sleep apnea. This is w/o ANY testing and no one no one, including my PCP, ever says I need these tests. Otherwise I do okay with the Pulmonologist. Maybe he is a seer and thinks with my issues and having smoked yrs. ago that MAYBE.

I see that as a bridge not yet reached.

Jan 24, 2021 07:59PM Wren44 wrote:

My 2nd oldest grandson called yesterday to tell us that he and his sweetie eloped. We knew they were going to and in these days of no gatherings, why not. DD said they're going to try to take a short honeymoon trip. They've been together for years and lived together for a couple of years. They graduated together from college. Part of me wonders if they decided to go ahead and do it because he'll go to Arizona to Fort Huachuaca (not sure that's spelled right) and she'll have medical coverage there. His tour of duty is up later in the year. He's mulling whether to leave or have them pay for graduate school. She's a lovely young woman and a great addition to the family.

Jan 24, 2021 08:11PM ChiSandy wrote:

My best buddy in law school was stationed at Ft. Huachuca as a JAG prosecutor after a year in Germany doing mlitary intelligence. I last saw him in 1980--he passed away of ALL a year later, just about the time he was about to visit Chicago for a prosecutors' conference.

Jan 24, 2021 09:47PM karen1956 wrote:

Wren - mazel tov on your grandson's marriage. So sweet!

Karen in Denver, Dx 02/03/2006, ILC, stage IIIa, ER/PR+, HER2-,

Jan 24, 2021 11:29PM Taco1946 wrote:

I wasn't here yesterday, Sandy, to wish you a happy birthday. So happy first day of the next year of your life.

Wren - who knows why couples who have been living together for some time, decide to make it official. Health insurance isn't a bad reason though. Ken's nephew and his fiancé got married in a civil ceremony before their wedding celebration so he could get covered on her insurance. (I don't know if his mother knows that but Amy told me.). Certainly different expectations than when I was young. But then, some of us, including me, got married young because of that. I continue to be amazed that we are still together. Our life isn't anything like I envisioned at age 20. I'm so grateful we were able to change together rather than drift apart.

Lots of badly needed rain this week and snow in the mountains.

Dx 11/22/2016, IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+ Radiation Therapy 12/28/2016 Balloon-catheter: Breast Chemotherapy 2/2/2017 Taxol (paclitaxel) Targeted Therapy 2/2/2017 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Hormonal Therapy 12/3/2017 Femara (letrozole) Surgery Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Sentinel, Underarm/Axillary Targeted Therapy

Jan 25, 2021 08:49AM IllinoisLady wrote:

When you commit yourself to living love, you feel at peace with yourself because you are at harmony with the flow of life. Viewing life from the highest perspective, you feel confident and secure. You realize that no matter how things may appear, you are loved and protected. You know you are one with God, and you bring your peace with you wherever you go. You're not looking for love, but for opportunities to love. -Susan L. Taylor

Jan 25, 2021 09:01AM IllinoisLady wrote:

Wren: Congrats. It sounds like true love so in the end that is what matters the most. If Ins. or other considerations are a part of that, great. Likely a smart move coinciding with that love and devotion to each other. One of the nice parts of love is protecting each other in whatever way that turns out to be.

Taco: Great description that you and your Dh were able to grow more together than less. What we all hope for and you said it so well.

Raining overnight and this morning. I don't care so much about the rain as I do the gray although I hope I will find a dry interlude so I can feed the feral cats. I've had two sort of fuzzy black babies coming out and they are adorable. Wild as can be but fun to see.

Today I will pick my a quilt that I had worked on by a friend who is a quilter. Another friend long ago starting putting it together and passed away before it was done. I had to send it away to be finished. Not sure how the over measurements because so out of kilter but when done it was I think likely quite lg. even for a king sized bed....and I have only a double. Finally found this lady who offered to cut the quilt down. Several ways -- but I just had her take off the extra border piece ( as mentioned, I've no idea how the measurements got so far off other than only measuring for one side ) all the way around. It did add to the overall look of the quilt, but if no once could ever use it due to size issues -- so I'm sure I'll be happy to have a useable quilt.

Hope you are all going to have a really good day.

Jan 25, 2021 01:29PM Wren44 wrote:

Taco, I know what you mean. We were 19 and 20 when we married 61 years ago. We've had some ups and downs but are happy we're still together. A lot happened but we managed to grow in the same direction.

Jan 25, 2021 02:47PM petite1 wrote:

I like the talk of love and marriages. DH and I met when we were 12, but got married at 56. We were together for 15 years before getting married. It was my mom's idea. LOL We both had prior marriages and I did not like him at 12. At 12 he picked his nose and wiped the findings on my skirt. Lucky for me, he did change over the years.

Waiting for a tech to come and change the router out. Hope everyone has a pleasant day.

petite Dx 8/23/2019, ILC/IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/7 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2- Radiation Therapy 10/20/2019 Whole-breast: Breast Hormonal Therapy 12/19/2019 Arimidex (anastrozole)

Jan 25, 2021 04:31PM - edited Jan 25, 2021 04:37PM by ChiSandy

Mazel tov, Wren! My former singing partner & her boyfriend were together for >15 years. She had a snit-fit when I canceled a gig (6 months in advance) to be part of the wedding party for my current singing partner. She said that her first marriage was emotionally abusive so she hated weddings and didn't believe in marriage. I asked her what if her boyfriend were to propose, and she replied, "oh, he knows me better than to ask that." Well, his retirement from a park district job loomed large and he found out that they'd save a bundle on taxes if married filing jointly--and she could be on his union's health insurance policy, which he was able to convert to a Part B supplement when he turned 65. (And the survivor of them could claim the other's Social Security). So they've been married now for almost 10 years (bought & restored a house together in the U.P. of MI, sing together and are on their fourth album, can give livestreamed concerts from home, and have 6-7 cats at any given time).

Nervous about tomorrow--hope I can get out of my alley and on to plowed streets to make my vaccine appt. in time. It's a half-hr. drive--so I'm allowing myself 90 min. to allow for traffic and poor snow removal. If I'm too early I can always hit Drunken Donuts near that Walgreen's and have breakfast in my car while I wait. Taking extra surgical masks in case mine gets wet while the snow flies.

Jan 25, 2021 05:13PM keywestfan wrote:

Sandy, you’ve certainly thought this out very well. Here’s to a great shot in the arm for you.

The vaccine wait makes me anxious and I have what Mary Schmich in the Chicago Tribune calls “vaccine envy.” Most of my old! friends and some young 40ish ones, not in congregate living, have gotten their first shots- some the second. Illinois, CVS and Walgreens have messed up when it comes to Independent Living in Retirement homes. Only Wisconsin has done a worse job in vaccinating the most vulnerable. That being said, we at the Mather( 500 residents and employees), are due to get the vaccine this Wednesday, Pfizer from Walgreens. With my anxiety gene ramped up, I’m convinced they’ll cancel or run out of it just before they get to me.

Also, today, my appointment with my shy MO who said the magic words, “ a completely normal exam.” I didn’t think I was especially nervous, but, though I have a usual low blood pressure and pulse in the 50’s, my BP was 171/80 and pulse 95. It has been two years since I first felt the lump after a normal mammogram five months before. I see the BS and the MO alternating every six months, so it’s four times a year. Don’t know how long it stays on this schedule..

Anastrozole June 2019 Dx 2/14/2019, IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, ER+/PR+, HER2- (IHC) Surgery 3/23/2019 Lumpectomy: Right Radiation Therapy 4/30/2019 Hormonal Therapy

Jan 25, 2021 08:32PM CeliaC wrote:

Speaking of love and marriage - DH and I had two ceremonies. 1st was a civil one in the UK. I had left my job in the US, moved to the UK & we were about to embark on a trip to the Far East, so it was a matter of practicality. 2nd one was in the US. We celebrate the 2nd one (6/30) as our "real anniversary", but report the 1st one (3/15) for "official" purposes.

Hope that all who are able to be vaccinated sail through ok.

Dx 12/2/2016, DCIS/IDC, Left, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 1, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 12/21/2016 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Radiation Therapy 2/21/2017 Whole-breast: Breast Hormonal Therapy 4/5/2017 Arimidex (anastrozole)

Jan 25, 2021 09:31PM Taco1946 wrote:

Vaccine, vaccine, where is the vaccine? Not many sites up and all appointments are filled through Feb. already. Local news reported on a new one last night but when I went to the site first thing this morning, they were only doing 1A. I have one 69 year old friend with pre-existing conditions who managed to get an appointment at 5:00 a.m. mid-Feb. Both of us are hoping that we will actually be able to get one during our SO's appointments but I think that's not reality thinking. I am discouraged but not surprised that the virus is mutating already and the vaccine may not even be effective with the new strains.

Cold, wet rain all week and snow up north. Most of AZ has been in drought condition for years so I'm glad. However, I realize that I have been spoiled by the AZ sun most days and feeling down. It's a chore to get Mutz out which always makes us anxious although generally he is good about waiting. He really doesn't like the rain. I can't imagine how he would do in snow.

Ken had a second cortisone shot in his back this morning. Not the first series of these and he's had one back surgery. Hoping the cortisone will give his some relief as he has really been miserable the last 6 weeks or so. Too many hours bending over an operating table I suspect.

Wren, Ken and I were 20 and 23 and will be married 55 years in Aug. Some tough times but we've worked through them. I knew early on that he was "a keeper" although it's probably just as well we didn't meet any earlier than we did.

Dx 11/22/2016, IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+ Radiation Therapy 12/28/2016 Balloon-catheter: Breast Chemotherapy 2/2/2017 Taxol (paclitaxel) Targeted Therapy 2/2/2017 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Hormonal Therapy 12/3/2017 Femara (letrozole) Surgery Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Sentinel, Underarm/Axillary Targeted Therapy

Jan 25, 2021 10:09PM karen1956 wrote:

DH and I got married 4 days after I got my BA - I graduated on Wednesday and we got married Sunday. 43+ years - am I really old enough to be married that long!!! We waited a while to have kids, then it took us a lot longer than we hoped.

Taco - hope the cortisone helps your DH's back.

Karen in Denver, Dx 02/03/2006, ILC, stage IIIa, ER/PR+, HER2-,

Jan 26, 2021 02:05AM ChiSandy wrote:

Judy, that's a classic case of "white-coat hypertension." My BP is so normal at home (whether Bob or I take it). The only way I can keep it down at s routine medical appt. is to pull up my watch's "Breathe" app. (It's also the way I get through the excruciating part of my pedis when my ingrown toenails get worked on).

My hands are a mess: paper cut on one finger, foil cut (from reaching into a can of nuts) on another knuckle, little pinpricks from Happy's claws (when he's on my lap, purring & zoning out, he subconsciously semi-kneads, and there's no way I can trim his claws without him trying to rip my face off).

Page 1281 of 1,290 (38,685 results)