Join Us

We are 220,251 members in 84 forums discussing 161,853 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: Can we have a forum for "older" people with bc?

Forum: Older Than 60 Years Old With Breast Cancer —

Meet other women who are similar in age and dealing with age-appropriate issues.

Posted on: Feb 7, 2009 06:29PM

Northstar wrote:

I am an "older" woman with breast cancer (I was diagnosed at 65 and am now 66).  I notice that most of the posts seem to be from people younger than I am (often by quite a bit...).   I'd love to "talk" with others my age, exchange info about their diagnoses, effects on their lives, etc.   I see that there is a forum for young women.

Someone suggested that maybe it's that older people aren't so computer-savvy or aren't used to being in online discussion groups.   However, for those who are, it would be great. 

DX 8/15/08, ILC, 5.1 cm, Stage IIb, Grade 1, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-, Oncotype DX 11.

Page 1289 of 1,290 (38,685 results)

Posts 38641 - 38670 (38,685 total)

Feb 18, 2021 04:51PM Beaverntx wrote:

We are currently keeping the house at 59 in the hope that we will eke out the propane until the truck can get here, likely no earlier than tomorrow as we have newly fallen snow on top of the icy roads. Supposed to get into the 40s tomorrow and 50s on Saturday so hoping for propane before the weekend is over. We do have power back on so can cook with the electric appliances, just can't dawdle over a meal, because the food cools quickly. This, too, shall pass and in a few months we will likely be complaining about the heat and humidity.

Diagnosed at age 77-- Oncotype 17, dealing with this bump in the road of life!!🎆 Dx 1/24/2018, IDC, Right, 2cm, Stage IB, Grade 3, 0/9 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (IHC) Dx 1/30/2018, DCIS, Right, <1cm, Stage 0 Surgery 1/30/2018 Lumpectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Right, Sentinel Radiation Therapy 3/11/2018 Whole-breast: Breast Surgery 6/15/2018 Prophylactic ovary removal Hormonal Therapy 6/19/2018 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone)

Feb 18, 2021 06:57PM kathindc wrote:

Sandy, if you haven’t heard from your sister, one of my DDs lives in Leesburg about 40 miles outside the city. They didn’t get much. She sent me a picture and it looks like a couple of inches of snow and sleet. We compare the differences in weather when storms roll through the area as they are outside the beltway and they get more rain or snow than those of us inside the beltway.

Feb 19, 2021 12:24AM ChiSandy wrote:

Thanks, kath. My sister is just "inside the beltway," on the border of Arlington & McLean (Rock Spring). When she was substitute-teaching pre-pandemic, it was in both Arlington & Fairfax counties. She's also social director and a soloist for the Alexandria Singers.

Diagnosed at 64 on routine annual mammo, no lump. OncotypeDX 16. I cried because I had no shoes...but then again, I won’t get blisters.... Dx 9/9/2015, IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (IHC) Surgery 9/22/2015 Lumpectomy: Right Radiation Therapy 11/1/2015 3DCRT: Breast Hormonal Therapy 12/30/2015 Femara (letrozole)

Feb 19, 2021 06:05AM petite1 wrote:

Beaverntx, hope it warms up for you soon and the water issues resolve. DH was able to connect with his friend in TX.

The cat woke me up early, but will stay up to get the labs done and might take a nap after labs.

petite Dx 8/23/2019, ILC/IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/7 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2- Radiation Therapy 10/20/2019 Whole-breast: Breast Hormonal Therapy 12/19/2019 Arimidex (anastrozole)

Feb 19, 2021 10:28AM Beaverntx wrote:

Petite, naps are always good to have in the plan of the day!

Supposed to make it above freezing sometime this afternoon. Sun is shining brightly which is a good mood lifter.

Diagnosed at age 77-- Oncotype 17, dealing with this bump in the road of life!!🎆 Dx 1/24/2018, IDC, Right, 2cm, Stage IB, Grade 3, 0/9 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (IHC) Dx 1/30/2018, DCIS, Right, <1cm, Stage 0 Surgery 1/30/2018 Lumpectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Right, Sentinel Radiation Therapy 3/11/2018 Whole-breast: Breast Surgery 6/15/2018 Prophylactic ovary removal Hormonal Therapy 6/19/2018 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone)

Feb 19, 2021 10:32AM Betrayal wrote:

It's cold here at 32 F and it is snowing yet again as if we have not had enough of it this week. Seems every time I have an appointment at the audiologist, I have to cancel due to snow so this week's appointment was cancellation number 3. Not sure how much snow we will get from this one because I have been avoiding weather predictions. The deer are hungy and have been nibbling on the junipers I had planted after our house suffered damage from the trees. The poor junipers look moth eaten and hopefully they will recover this summer. Spread bird seed on a section of the patio that is under the eaves so the birds can eat.

Sad to hear about what Texas is enduring but living in a state where we truly have 4 seasons has provided us with experience of both temperature extremes and wild storms. It was a direct wind storm that did damage to our house. After losing power many times related to winter storms, hurricanes and other wild weather, we bought a generator. It has been a godsend because we lost power once during an ice storm and went without power for 4 days. We used the fireplace to keep the family room at 59 F but the rest of the house was freezing. Had the tropical fish in a Tupperware bowl by the fireplace but lost most of the exotic ones. To prevent pipes from freezing we would drip the faucet in the powder room. Outages in the summer always occurred during heatwaves and the humidity in this area can be brutal since it matches the temperature. We have lost freezers full of food during the summer outages as well and that is heartbreaking because it was usually right after it was stocked. I think what always astonished me was after being without power for days there was never any significant dip in the electric bill!

We have kept our house phone and that has always worked during power outages. During other storms we would see others roaming looking for cell tower power for their phones so glad we are not totally reliant on them.

Hope that Texas is back to normal soon and that they can decide that an alternative to their current electrical supply is in order. Seems we need to be prepared for the challenges that climate change is presenting.

Surgery 1/31/2016 Lumpectomy: Left Surgery 1/31/2016 Lymph node removal: Sentinel Surgery 3/3/2016 Lumpectomy: Left Radiation Therapy 3/30/2016 Whole-breast: Breast Hormonal Therapy 6/24/2016 Arimidex (anastrozole) Hormonal Therapy 5/18/2017 Femara (letrozole) Hormonal Therapy 6/15/2020 Aromasin (exemestane)

Feb 19, 2021 02:01PM IllinoisLady wrote:

If you take the position that your happiness is primarily in your own hands, you give yourself enormous power. You are not waiting for events or other people to make you happy. You are not trapped by blame, alibis, or self-pity. You are free to look at the options available in any situation and respond as wisely as you can. -Nathaniel Branden

Each day I am thankful for nights that turned into mornings, friends that turned into family, dreams that turned into reality and likes that turned into love. ~~~Elizabeth Kuebler-Ross Dx 9/27/2007, IDC, 5cm, Stage II, Grade 3, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2-

Feb 19, 2021 02:09PM IllinoisLady wrote:

Sun is shining today and it is sure appreciated. No work again today for me. Dh was prepared to take me, but in both places when the snow plows came thru they left snow piled in front of driveways. Not to put too fine a point on it, but I presume they knew people would not be able to get out and maybe no one could get in. I guess the idea was, " I did my job ", and you could say that, but it was not the help it could have been. At any rate -- I am home again today. Frankly, I'm sort of enjoying the time off, but like anything you can't or don't plan for it could be better. I worry about how much I will have to make up when I finally do start making the rounds again.

We do know that something on my car will have to be repaired though -- this not going in snow won't work. Interesting that we are having winter right at the farthest end of all past winters. Also, you might know, huh. We will get some stimulus to help us which I'll likely have to spend on my car. Sigh !! Then again, it does seem when I have a need it is filled by something I wasn't expecting. So the miracles in disguise show up to keep my path going forward.

Hope everyone is able to move around okay if you must and that all of these eases up for people everywhere. I really do feel for the people in Texas.

Each day I am thankful for nights that turned into mornings, friends that turned into family, dreams that turned into reality and likes that turned into love. ~~~Elizabeth Kuebler-Ross Dx 9/27/2007, IDC, 5cm, Stage II, Grade 3, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2-

Feb 19, 2021 05:13PM CindyNY wrote:

We had 3-4 inches of snow, all in all not bad. It was easy to shovel, more or less pushed it around. And we hit 33 so it was melting too. No sun.

I went to my ENT today, dx tinnitus. He said my records indicated back in 2016 when I had vertigo I reported tinnitus then. I don't remember it, so it must have gone away. Scheduled another hearing exam to compare to 2016. It's not bad, just annoying and no fluid nor tumor was seen, so I'm happy with that.

I drove to a local church that gives away clothing and household items for free, to drop off all those curtains. I'm happy they're gone, and they were happy to get them.

Doesn't feel like a Friday. Without school happening I'm very much enjoying catch up around my home, but the days are a blur.

Still have more to do on that front bedroom. Books, maps, and a ton of sports cards. We're going back up tonight, trying to commit at least 1 hour a night. I want my weights put up there, turn it into workouta area - hopefully not just a spot to store them until the next cleaning!

Enjoy the night, stay warm and be safe.

dx at 58, no family history, onco = 19 Dx 10/6/2017, DCIS/IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/5 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 11/1/2017 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Surgery 11/14/2017 Lumpectomy: Left Radiation Therapy 12/26/2017 Whole-breast: Breast Hormonal Therapy 3/1/2018 Arimidex (anastrozole)

Feb 19, 2021 06:20PM Betrayal wrote:

CindyNY: Just heard that sports cards are now worth some money so don't toss them without checking it out first. As far as the maps, if you have a Peleton or some other indoor bike, you could use them to plot your destination (goal setting) using push pins to mark when you achieve them. If they are road maps, there is also a market for them now.

Don't know the types of books you have but some areas have resource collectors for school teachers where they pay a nominal fee for access to theses resources. I just found one and am donating surplus office materials including 3 ring binders, pendaflex files, paper clips, etc. I do have some books that would be appropriate for high school students so I am donating them as well. Feels good to know that they will have a second life.

Surgery 1/31/2016 Lumpectomy: Left Surgery 1/31/2016 Lymph node removal: Sentinel Surgery 3/3/2016 Lumpectomy: Left Radiation Therapy 3/30/2016 Whole-breast: Breast Hormonal Therapy 6/24/2016 Arimidex (anastrozole) Hormonal Therapy 5/18/2017 Femara (letrozole) Hormonal Therapy 6/15/2020 Aromasin (exemestane)

Feb 19, 2021 07:18PM ChiSandy wrote:

Our alley is finally passable for sedans--so fingers crossed, Bob can get into the garage and won't have to park 2 blocks away. Sunshine most of the day too despite never making it much above 20F or so. Lost about 6" of the garage roof snow from what I could see. Going down to 5 tonight, so I'll drip the faucets again starting at midnight. More of the same tomorrow--but starting Sun. aft., more snow--this time wet & heavy but not lake effect--so probably no more than 2". Monday begins the thaw. Wintry mix early Tues. morning before it hits 40F (of course, that's when we'll have to drive downtown to the ocular onc at UIC); warmup may continue through Wed., when I have to drive out to Norridge for my second shot. "Light snow" again Thurs., and then snow (but not deep-freeze) over next weekend.

Diagnosed at 64 on routine annual mammo, no lump. OncotypeDX 16. I cried because I had no shoes...but then again, I won’t get blisters.... Dx 9/9/2015, IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (IHC) Surgery 9/22/2015 Lumpectomy: Right Radiation Therapy 11/1/2015 3DCRT: Breast Hormonal Therapy 12/30/2015 Femara (letrozole)

Feb 20, 2021 10:24AM IllinoisLady wrote:

There is nothing in a caterpillar that tells you

it's going to be a butterfly.

- R. Buckminster Fuller

Feb 20, 2021 03:39PM Puffin2014 wrote:

I got my first Moderna shot today from our local health department. Had my name on 4 lists, contacted 2 of them and told them to remove me, will call the 4th on Monday. I'm tired this afternoon but don't know if it's from the shot or all the running around I did today, probably a combination of both.

Dx 5/23/2014, IDC, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 6/16/2014 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Left, Sentinel Chemotherapy 7/17/2014 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel) Radiation Therapy 10/13/2014 Breast Hormonal Therapy 11/10/2014 Arimidex (anastrozole)

Feb 20, 2021 04:37PM IllinoisLady wrote:

Good news to hear Puffin and likely you are tired from 'running around '. Anything is possible but it sounds like most people on the first shot don't have too strong a reaction which I hope continues to hold true for you. I felt like I also felt tired the day I got mine just from the relief of being half way there so to speak. I've heard yesterday and today that ( it does take a couple of weeks ) that you are fairly well covered ( approx. 85 % I think was the figure mentioned ) after the first shot, but you need that second one. It provides the extra coverage and extra safety in that way.

Good to continue hearing of those who have been able to get their first and in some cases now second shots. Not sure how much of that is due to our current new government taking a lot more control but I would imagine that has given it all a serious push. No promises being made but it was mentioned there was a little hope that by Christmas 2021 there was the possibility of having an almost normal one. So much can happen and there are variants to think about but just the thought of the possibility is great. So far as well, it sounds like the Pfizer and Moderna are more apt to be able to handle the variants.

I await the second Moderna injection and the two weeks after when it should have taken hold. I will get my CT scan done the same day and maybe see Dr. Dave if I can get an appt.

Hope you are all having a good Saturday -- a thawing Saturday if possible. We are doing a little. It has warmed to about 29 or so and the sun has shone all day. We should so some tomorrow -- so maybe are making a start out of our foot of snow. That would sure be nice. Hoping the same for everyone -- and very much hoping that those ( mainly Texas I think ) who have had power loss from the bad recent weather events will soon have it back on.

Feb 21, 2021 10:03AM IllinoisLady wrote:

Learn to get in touch with the silence within yourself,
and know that everything in life has purpose.
There are no mistakes, no coincidences,
all events are blessings given to us to learn from.
- Elisabeth Kubler-Ross

Feb 21, 2021 03:49PM Nola70115 wrote:

carolehalston - I’m not over 60 but I’m saw you are in Louisiana getting treatment at Ochsner and wanted to reach out. I just got dxd with a recurrence and the support groups at Tansey don’t meet again for weeks but I’d love to have some local survivor contacts. Do you know of any groups for this area, or could we chat sometime?

Age 40 at first diagnosis, 47 now. I've got an autistic teenager and a toddler to live for. See my 2014 blog at snarkforthecure.wordpress.com. Dx 4/15/2014, IDC, Left, 2cm, Stage IIA, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (FISH) Surgery 5/15/2014 Lymph node removal: Left; Mastectomy: Left, Right; Reconstruction (left); Reconstruction (right) Chemotherapy 6/20/2014 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel) Hormonal Therapy 9/1/2014 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Dx 2/8/2021, IDC, Left, <1cm, Grade 2, ER+/PR+, HER2- (FISH) Dx 2/22/2021, IDC, Stage IV, metastasized to liver

Feb 21, 2021 04:28PM Beaverntx wrote:

Finally got some propane and boil water restriction was just lifted so now we can set about learning to live like we used to just over a week ago! Praise be.

Feb 21, 2021 04:50PM IllinoisLady wrote:

Beaverntx - It's the little things huh !!!

May be an image of text that says 'BE GRATEFUL THAT NO MATTER HOW MUCH CHOCOLATE YOU EAT, YOUR EARRINGS WILL STILL FIT.'

Doesn't have anything to do with propane -- but I had been thinking about things to be grateful for and this came up on the screen so I thought I'd share.

Feb 21, 2021 05:15PM Beaverntx wrote:

Jackie, love it!!

Feb 21, 2021 09:41PM MinusTwo wrote:

Beaver - So glad you got propane. We also have water & power - and the "boil" restriction has just been lifted. I took my first shower in a week & washed my hair this afternoon. What a lovely treat.

2/15/11 BMX-DCIS 2SNB clear-TEs; 9/15/11-410gummies; 3/20/13 recurrance-5.5cm,mets to lymphs, Stage IIIB IDC ER/PRneg,HER2+; TCH/Perjeta/Neulasta x6; ALND 9/24/13 1/18 nodes 4.5cm; AC chemo 10/30/13 x3; herceptin again; Rads Feb2014

Feb 22, 2021 12:45AM Beaverntx wrote:

Minus, yes, the shower was a treat! Just hitting the high spots with a cold washcloth just isn't the same. Think we finally got the kitchen back in order, had been using as few things as possible but couldn't wash them without water so it was beginning to look pretty bad!

Feb 22, 2021 09:23AM carolehalston wrote:

Hi, Nola. I got my two Pfizer vaccine shots at the nearby Ochsner on the north shore. I don't know of any support groups but I would be happy to talk with you. Send me a personal message (PM) and we can talk on the phone and/or arrange to meet in person.

I painted on Saturday and Sunday. First a coat of oil based primer over the wall paper in the kitchen. Yesterday the color coat. Today I will do some touch up with a brush. I don't want to apply a complete second coat and add to the weight. Now here's hoping the wall paper doesn't protest by falling off the wall. On Wednesday the installers are supposed to come with the counter tops.

I won't go into details but replacing the formica countertops with new quartz countertops has not gone as smoothly as we had hoped. This is the second set of countertops. I am happy with my choice of white quartz with a muted gray tracery. It's amazing how the white brightens up the kitchen.

The cold weather has gone away. It's sunny today and the forecast calls for a high in the 60's. I suspect our winter is over.

Glad the Texas people are returning to normal. Apparently this winter cold will be more expensive than the most expensive hurricane that hit Texas.

Nipple-Sparing BMX w/Alloderm & Silicone Implants 7/24/09, Oncotype Dx 9, No Chemo, No Rads, Arimidex Dx 6/25/2009, IDC, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 3, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Feb 22, 2021 09:39AM IllinoisLady wrote:

Life is a refining process. Our response to it determines whether we'll be ground down or polished up. On a piano, one person sits down and plays sonatas, while another merely bangs away at "Chopsticks." The piano is not responsible. It's how you touch the keys that makes the difference. It's how you play what life gives you that determines your joy and shine. -Barbara Johnson

Feb 22, 2021 09:52AM - edited Feb 22, 2021 07:41PM by IllinoisLady

Warming up here too. I can't believe in just one day how much of the snow is already gone and what is left has a defeated and deflated look. The places where it was piled up ( taken off driveways and sidewalks etc. ) will last a bit longer, but all in all, I'm hoping that this is the worst and that if we have to deal with winter any more it is will be just cold air.

Seems like the quote that came this morning was tailor made for the above entries. Some griping and complaining is normal, but it is amazing how so many of you just keep on pushing for the good parts. I do think age has something to do with that. We have all pretty much learned long ago that impatience doesn't hurry anything and just tends to aggravate more. Also the big axiom -- the only way you will get through any of this is right squarely down the middle of it. I will be the first to admit sometimes a good attitude is hard to come by -- but slipping it in more than not has helped me to turn things around. Once you confront things head on it reduces the power of the aggravation.

We will have a couple of at least 50 degree days and that should turn us around pretty good. My car is in the shop trying to figure out what is up with it. Sure hope it is something simple. ( Thinking remember how to treat aggravation here ). Hoping we all have really good days coming and shots to all the willing arms as soon as possible.

Feb 22, 2021 11:23AM Beaverntx wrote:

Opened the blinds this morning to sunshine and absolutely no snow or ice in sight. Amazing how quickly things can change, a week ago a neighbor texted that she was drinking coffee while watching the snow fall.

Feb 22, 2021 01:13PM petite1 wrote:

The mamo is done. Hopefully no problems. I have my MO appointment on Thursday.

I did have an adventure on Saturday. I went to Mount Dora for the Antique Extravaganza. There were people from all over the country and I even spoke with a lady from Germany. Masks were required, but by afternoon, some people did not put theirs back on. I picked up a few old brooches, an old necklace, a great bracelet from Holland and some odds and ends from a guy that sells silver. (I did get ripped off on a couple of silver pieces, but if I ever go again, I will be a little more careful.) The items I bought, I will clean up and list in my ebay store. I can't repair anything any more without any dexterity. My friend had a weak clammy spell. I got her some water and an orange and she was better. We left after that. I got a little flustered and missed a turn, which took me 20 minutes out of the way, but made it home safe and sound, My friend is doing fine.

Beaverntx, glad it is getting better for you.

petite Dx 8/23/2019, ILC/IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/7 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2- Radiation Therapy 10/20/2019 Whole-breast: Breast Hormonal Therapy 12/19/2019 Arimidex (anastrozole)

Feb 22, 2021 09:21PM ChiSandy wrote:

TX sisters, glad you no longer have to live like "Pioneer Woman On Ice." Hope you don't get any of those unpleasant surprise four-or-even-five-figure electric bills, especially not deducted from your checking accounts.

Gonna wear a jacket with some big pockets tomorrow: my 3-month followup with the ocular onc (Bob will come along, as the onc wants to meet him because they trained at UIC about the same time). I'm hoping the little intermittent "winking crescents" at the edge of my vision I've had for about a month are only a vitreous and not a retinal detachment, and especially not a sign of the melanoma regrowing. (Best case scenario is that it's just radiation damage). I'm very, very nervous. I'm hoping I don't learn that the expiration date on my birth certificate is looming, before we can get back to normal-ish post-pandemic semi-retirement living. We're going to nearby Greektown for lunch afterwards--hope I won't need a gallon of ouzo & Rodytis or Santorini to get through it. (Bob has to drive, as my eyes will be dilated & it'll be sunny).

We've had quite a bit of melting--less than a foot of snow remaining on my front lawn, and only about 6-8" on the garage roof. (I can see the gutters)!

Feb 22, 2021 09:42PM Betrayal wrote:

Sandy: Fingers crossed that your news tomorrow is all good news. Have a big drink to celebrate at lunch and do a little Zorba the Greek dance.

Feb 22, 2021 11:26PM Beaverntx wrote:

Sandy, in your pocket tomorrow. Glad Bob can go with you.

Feb 23, 2021 06:49AM petite1 wrote:

Sandy, hope all goes well.

Beaverntx, glad it is getting better out there

I had my mamo, yesterday. The tech didn't say anything, so I m guessing it is ok. Since it was a screening, the radiologist didn't read it right away. I am getting my haircut this morning.

Page 1289 of 1,290 (38,685 results)