Join Us

We are 222,317 members in 83 forums discussing 162,454 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: Can we have a forum for "older" people with bc?

Forum: Older Than 60 Years Old With Breast Cancer —

Meet other women who are similar in age and dealing with age-appropriate issues.

Posted on: Feb 7, 2009 06:29PM

Northstar wrote:

I am an "older" woman with breast cancer (I was diagnosed at 65 and am now 66).  I notice that most of the posts seem to be from people younger than I am (often by quite a bit...).   I'd love to "talk" with others my age, exchange info about their diagnoses, effects on their lives, etc.   I see that there is a forum for young women.

Someone suggested that maybe it's that older people aren't so computer-savvy or aren't used to being in online discussion groups.   However, for those who are, it would be great. 

DX 8/15/08, ILC, 5.1 cm, Stage IIb, Grade 1, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-, Oncotype DX 11.

Page 1300 of 1,315 (39,450 results)

Posts 38971 - 39000 (39,450 total)

Apr 13, 2021 09:57AM IllinoisLady wrote:

(((((petite -- big hugs for you and your Dh ))))))) I hope today will be a strong turning point for your Dh.

Our weather was rainy overnight and we might have a bit more. Some sun ( hope-hope-hope ) this afternoon. It is the time of yr. when rain can be in the forecast a lot -- don't always get it, but enough to make me dread the 'grey' times waiting for the sun. Hope no tornadoes show up in LA or anywhere today. That is another thing spring can signal -- a return to worry about storms that come suddenly and turn scary pretty fast. Fingers crossed.

Each day I am thankful for nights that turned into mornings, friends that turned into family, dreams that turned into reality and likes that turned into love. ~~~Elizabeth Kuebler-Ross Dx 9/27/2007, IDC, 5cm, Stage II, Grade 3, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2-

Apr 13, 2021 11:35PM Reader425 wrote:

Petite I so sorry about your DH cluster headaches. I am a migraneur as they say and they are horrible. I've been told clusters are so much worse that it's hard to imagine. 👐

Illinois I wore a light jacket today and just getting out, dressed lighter, was a mood lifter. We've had some rain but no big storms.

Dx 9/11/2014, IDC, Left, 2cm, Stage IA, Grade 3, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (FISH) Surgery 10/29/2014 Lumpectomy: Left Radiation Therapy 1/3/2015 Whole-breast: Breast Hormonal Therapy 2/28/2015 Arimidex (anastrozole)

Apr 14, 2021 09:11AM carolehalston wrote:

Petite, I also hope your dh gets some relief for his headaches. I am not familiar with "cluster" headaches. My only headaches so far are from sinus congestion and Tylenol gives relief.

We had torrential rain yesterday. My sister Linda, who lives in St. Mary's Parish texted that their rain gauge topped out at 5 inches and it was still raining. More rain is forecast for today. I hope the weather isn't too bad at noon so I can go to an exercise class at the gym. I missed chair yoga yesterday.

Nipple-Sparing BMX w/Alloderm & Silicone Implants 7/24/09, Oncotype Dx 9, No Chemo, No Rads, Arimidex Dx 6/25/2009, IDC, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 3, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Apr 14, 2021 09:18AM petite1 wrote:

After we went to the neurologist he was feeling good. Thee is a new medication Emgality which is the only FDA approved medication for Cluster headaches. He had his loading dose which is 2 injections. He was good for about an hour and then the worse headache of all hit. He wanted me to call 911, which I did. When they got here the headache was gone and he refused to go. The rest of the night was good. The doctor has also ordered him labs and an MRI. I scheduled his labs for this afternoon. There are non fasting. Waiting to hear on the MRI to be scheduled.

petite Dx 8/23/2019, ILC/IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/7 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2- Radiation Therapy 10/20/2019 Whole-breast: Breast Hormonal Therapy 12/19/2019 Arimidex (anastrozole)

Apr 14, 2021 10:07AM IllinoisLady wrote:

Gratitude unlocks the fullness of life. It turns what we have into enough and more. It turns denial into acceptance, chaos to order, confusion to clarity. It can turn a meal into a feast, a house into a home, a stranger into a friend. Gratitude makes sense of our past, brings peace for today, and creates a vision for tomorrow. -Melody Beattie

Each day I am thankful for nights that turned into mornings, friends that turned into family, dreams that turned into reality and likes that turned into love. ~~~Elizabeth Kuebler-Ross Dx 9/27/2007, IDC, 5cm, Stage II, Grade 3, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2-

Apr 14, 2021 10:14AM IllinoisLady wrote:

petite, just wow. I hope the event of that severe headache was an adjustment glitch of some kind to getting medicated with a new med. Bodies all being different it is hard to tell what 'could' happen. Here's hoping it all settles out better. Hope the MRI goes okay.

Cool and mildly cloudy again this a.m. Sigh !! Hopefully some sun later. We are having temps. in the 60's this week and it is pretty typical. The trees are all budding though from the week of 70's we had. Also all the tree shrubs are filling out. Soon we won't be able to see our neighbor's houses anymore so we can feel nearly alone in our woods. I do love spring for the greenery that is so welcoming as everything wakes up from the winter rest.

Hope you all have a fantastic day.

Apr 14, 2021 10:27AM keywestfan wrote:

Well, as we know, the best laid plans... Monday, the day before we were going to Key West, as I was walking outside, I tripped on a bad sidewalk join, fell very hard. My brand new Apple Watch called 911 and my husband and son. Seems sort of miraculous to me. Paramedics arrived almost immediately. I was dazed, did not remember day of the week, or about Key West the next day. That came back to me as soon as Gil clarified. Off by ambulance to ER. Still mildly confused. 3 front teeth split off, just jagged edges left. CT scan showed no concussion( though it doesn't show up on scan) , no brain bleed. In ER, 4 hours, waiting for mouth to stop bleeding, for results of scan, and 3 stitches on upper lip. ER sent picture of teeth to my dentist who I saw yesterday just at the time our KW plane was taking off.I look like Frankenstein. Lower lip down to my chin which is bright purple. Hopefully, in a few weeks, in best case scenario, when swelling is down, he will be able to bond the teeth, and we will try for KW again. In the meantime, I am grateful for much, for, at the most, maybe a very mild concussion, no brain bleed, my Apple Watch, a fine dentist, and masks.

Anastrozole June 2019 Dx 2/14/2019, IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, ER+/PR+, HER2- (IHC) Surgery 3/23/2019 Lumpectomy: Right Radiation Therapy 4/29/2019 Hormonal Therapy

Apr 14, 2021 10:51AM Betrayal wrote:

Keywestfan: Arnica gel will help the bruises reabsorb sooner. It was recommended by my dentist after a dental procedure left me looking like she had punched me out. I now keep a tube on hand.

Sorry to hear about your fall and that although you had some injuries, they will resolve in due time. TG for your Apple Watch. Sorry also that your KW trip had to be postponed. I know you were looking forward to this respite.

Surgery 1/31/2016 Lumpectomy: Left Surgery 1/31/2016 Lymph node removal: Sentinel Surgery 3/3/2016 Lumpectomy: Left Radiation Therapy 3/31/2016 Whole-breast: Breast Hormonal Therapy 6/24/2016 Arimidex (anastrozole) Hormonal Therapy 5/18/2017 Femara (letrozole) Hormonal Therapy 6/16/2020 Aromasin (exemestane)

Apr 14, 2021 10:53AM carolehalston wrote:

What a disaster, Keywestfan! But also an amazing story featuring the watch. Sorry you missed your trip but glad the damage wasn't worse than it was.

It's very dark here now with rumbles of thunder.

Nipple-Sparing BMX w/Alloderm & Silicone Implants 7/24/09, Oncotype Dx 9, No Chemo, No Rads, Arimidex Dx 6/25/2009, IDC, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 3, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Apr 14, 2021 10:56AM MCBaker wrote:

I had a dental appointment yesterday. I have been making do with a loose upper denture on the upper, and no teeth on the lower. So she took a cast of my upper denture, an impression of my lower jaw, and put a temporary lining in my upper. Then there were x-rays of my lower and a photo of my lower to prove that I have no teeth there. The lower denture will probably eat up my bonus and maybe more. Good luck, Key West lover. Remember that this, too will pass, and you are a lucky lady.

My daughter tripped on a bad sidewalk join shortly before her third birthday. The oral surgeon said that her broken jaw was an incomplete break, and wiring it closed could have its own complications. Now she can't open it wide. In recent years she found a dentist who was willing to make a device that would be more efficient in exercising it. Any dental work requires general anesthesia because of the necessity of mechanically opening it. It also is very pointy, making her look somewhat exotic.

I have been leaving my bedroom door open lately because keeping it substantially cooler than the rest of my apartment no longer results in a lower electricity bill with spring temperatures. Tippy has taken this a signal that he no longer needs to be in his kennel at night. He actually got nippy, even when I tried to put him in backwards. So I broke down and left him out the past three nights. This morning I discovered that he has moved in; I found seven of his toys in (sigh) our bedroom. My fitbit revealed that there is no difference in my sleep with Tippy or without. He is such a silly boy.

Both of my kids have been diagnosed with migrane headaches. I think mine are sinus.

Mary Dx 10/3/2018, DCIS, Right, 6cm+, Stage 0, Grade 3, ER-/PR- Surgery 11/15/2018 Lymph node removal: Sentinel; Mastectomy: Right; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Dx 11/16/2018, IDC, Right, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 1, 0/5 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2+ (IHC) Targeted Therapy 12/18/2018 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Chemotherapy 12/19/2018 Taxol (paclitaxel) Surgery 6/27/2019 Reconstruction (right): Fat grafting, Saline implant

Apr 14, 2021 12:26PM Wren44 wrote:

Petite, I hope the new med helps your DS. I've heard that cluster headaches are extremely painful. And good luck on the CT and MRI.

Keywest Fan, Horrible fall but impressive that your Apple watch called 911, your husband, and your son. That's exactly what it's set up to do. I hope your teeth will be an easy fix and you can be on your way to Kay West soon.

Lumpectomy and re-excision followed by mastectomy of right breast. Five years of anastrasole completed.

Apr 14, 2021 01:57PM CindyNY wrote:

KeyWest- teeth and facial injuries are very painful. Thankfully your watch had you covered and got 911 right away. Hoping you heal up quickly.

dx at 58, no family history, onco = 19 Dx 10/6/2017, DCIS/IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/5 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 11/1/2017 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Surgery 11/14/2017 Lumpectomy: Left Radiation Therapy 12/26/2017 Whole-breast: Breast Hormonal Therapy 3/1/2018 Arimidex (anastrozole)

Apr 14, 2021 02:16PM keywestfan wrote:

Betrayal,

Thank you. You made me remember that I have a jar of Arnica gel. I have never used it, but am going to get it right now and put it on hideous purple chin.

Anastrozole June 2019 Dx 2/14/2019, IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, ER+/PR+, HER2- (IHC) Surgery 3/23/2019 Lumpectomy: Right Radiation Therapy 4/29/2019 Hormonal Therapy

Apr 14, 2021 04:06PM Beaverntx wrote:

Keywestfan, re arnica gel-- it is great for bruises but should not be put on broken skin. When I fell (and broke two teeth) last fall, I had to apply the arnica gel very carefully as I had some scrapes as well as bruising. Hope your dental replacement goes well, along with the rest of the healing.

Diagnosed at age 77-- Oncotype 17, dealing with this bump in the road of life!!🎆 Dx 1/24/2018, IDC, Right, 2cm, Stage IB, Grade 3, 0/9 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (IHC) Dx 1/30/2018, DCIS, Right, <1cm, Stage 0 Surgery 1/30/2018 Lumpectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Right, Sentinel Radiation Therapy 3/11/2018 Whole-breast: Breast Surgery 6/15/2018 Prophylactic ovary removal Hormonal Therapy 6/19/2018 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone)

Apr 14, 2021 06:26PM - edited Apr 14, 2021 08:28PM by ChiSandy

Oh, Judy, how awful! As we age, it seems that floors, carpets, shoes, and pavements are all conspiring to trip us up. I hope you can get veneers soon, and that the pain isn't too bad, (And that your KW trip is only delayed, not cancelled). Thank goodness you didn't fracture any bones or get a concussion.

Mary, one of the reasons I had orthodontia three times (the third time, Invisalign, was the charm) was a fall I took at age 10 when the thick toe-cap of my sneaker met a slightly-raised pavement joint in the courtyard of the jr. high our neighborhood day camp used over the summer, pitching me forward face first into an ornamental concrete bench--my upper front teeth got "splayed" as a result. I wore braces from age 11-20 (they kept breaking, I wasn''t compliant about wearing elastics, and had them removed the week before my wedding). Second try was at age 28-32, when on a trip to Nova Scotia I barfed up my retainer after an alcohol-fueled party and it apparently went down the drain. I was too embarrassed to return to the orthodontist. Finally, in 2019 I decided to try Invisalign. I still wear my retainer except when eating or drinking anything but cold water or white wine. Even though my ortho says it's ok to wear it only at night, I can swear I sense my teeth regressing if I keep it out more than 3 hrs.

My BFF has suffered cluster headaches for decades--and fights losing battles with doctors who accuse him of drug-seeking because only Fiorinal with codeine (not hydro-or-oxycodone) makes a dent in them. They exacerbated the depressive component of his bipolar disorder, and the meds for that supposedly caused tardive dyskinesia--but the tremors were recently re-diagnosed as Parkinson's. (Second one of my friends to be dx'ed with it at 65). Now, a couple of days ago he awoke with expressive aphasia. No other symptoms that might suggest stroke; CT & MRI showed no anomalies, and he was discharged from the ER. He's seeing the neuro for an EEG and possibly an MRA/MRV--which unlike an MRI could reveal an occlusion in an artery supplying Broca's area in the brain, without (yet) having caused an infarct. If that's the case and there's no damage, he might get stented or administered TPA ("clotbuster"). His wife (my co-BFF) has been battling RA & scleroderma for over a decade (she's in remission), and is on pins & needles. They're both a week past their second Pfizer shots, so it was safe to have her come over for a couple of hours last night for drinks & distraction. (I'm six weeks post my second Moderna). We'll find out more tomorrow.

I had my genetic counseling session yesterday, and was tested for a new breast cancer (BRCA, BARD1, PALB, Chek2, etc.) panel--plus a panel for biliary cancer/melanoma, and a rare form of Lynch syndrome (the medical geneticist said my several "sebaceous hyperplasias"--which my derm has always said were harmless--could go hand in hand with colon & uterine cancers). I will know the results in 3-4 weeks. If positive for any, at my age it might not affect my own prognoses or necessitate new treatments--but I'd have a 50% chance of passing it on to Gordy, who would then be advised to be tested in case he and his fiancee want to plan a family. The reason they re-did the BRCA et al panel is that many new mutations & variants have been discovered since I was last tested in 2015; I wasn't tested for any other mutations back then because I hadn't yet been diagnosed with ocular (or any other) melanoma.

Diagnosed at 64 on routine annual mammo, no lump. OncotypeDX 16. I cried because I had no shoes...but then again, I won’t get blisters.... Dx 9/9/2015, IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (IHC) Surgery 9/23/2015 Lumpectomy: Right Radiation Therapy 11/2/2015 3DCRT: Breast Hormonal Therapy 12/31/2015 Femara (letrozole)

Apr 14, 2021 08:00PM karen1956 wrote:

KeyWest - so sorry to hear about your fall and injuries. I hope you aren't in too much pain. Wishing you a speedy recovery and you can travel to KW sooner than later.

Mary - hoping you get your bottom dentures soon.

Sandy - I had the 32 panel testing in 2016 (I think) and it should up a couple things - but nothing will change anything for me. My oldest DD had genetic testing before marriage and I'm sure younger DD will too. Not sure about my son, but my kids are at risk for several things including cardiac and cancer.

Snow predicted for tomorrow night into Friday and yucky on Friday.

Karen in Denver, Dx 02/03/2006, ILC, stage IIIa, ER/PR+, HER2-,

Apr 14, 2021 08:41PM - edited Apr 14, 2021 08:42PM by ChiSandy

We're getting a "wintry mix" (nothing sticking, not going below freezing) next Tues. and flurries on Wed. Not a surprise: in 2019 we had a gig on April 27, and it snowed 4" of very wet "heart attack" stuff. Surprised that 13 people came out to see us nonetheless--and in return for giving them a lift back home, a couple of fans cleaned the snow off my car.

Diagnosed at 64 on routine annual mammo, no lump. OncotypeDX 16. I cried because I had no shoes...but then again, I won’t get blisters.... Dx 9/9/2015, IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (IHC) Surgery 9/23/2015 Lumpectomy: Right Radiation Therapy 11/2/2015 3DCRT: Breast Hormonal Therapy 12/31/2015 Femara (letrozole)

Apr 15, 2021 09:25AM petite1 wrote:

Keywestfan, I feel bad for you. That watch is amazing.

Thanks everyone for kind words. He had another headache at 3:00 am this morning and took the other new medication, Sumatriptan, and the headache was gone in about 5 minutes. I am a bit groggy this morning. When I look at my last few posts with typos, I think I have been all week.

petite Dx 8/23/2019, ILC/IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/7 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2- Radiation Therapy 10/20/2019 Whole-breast: Breast Hormonal Therapy 12/19/2019 Arimidex (anastrozole)

Apr 15, 2021 09:42AM carolehalston wrote:

What a night! Rain, thunder, lightning. A couple of loud booms brought me up out of the bed. We will get a respite later today but more rain in the forecast.

Apr 15, 2021 10:15AM IllinoisLady wrote:

Today, examine your beliefs, your actions, your wants,
to determine whether they still represent your highest purpose.
Choose your Habits, Choose your Life.
Your Habits Are Your Life.
- Jonathan Lockwood Huie

Apr 15, 2021 10:20AM IllinoisLady wrote:

(((Keywest))) Wow !! I think the fitbit is a much better deal than those necklaces that call help seeing is how your family is alerted as well. That was a great investment. Wishing you well quickly and on your way to FLA. asap.

petite -- sounds like you could use some GOOD rest while your hubby navigates those cluster headaches. Sigh !!! Part of the price of getting older I guess. Just yikes.

Carole I hope those storms don't get to us here in Illinois but it is the season for weather events of all kinds as I read Sandy's predictions of poss. snow. We have a nice sun this morning and it should get to 60. I think it will be an all right day. Hope there isn't too much for breeze since the sun makes it feel much warmer when it is not too windy.

Hope you all have needed naps and a great day. Lots of health improvements to everyone.

Apr 15, 2021 10:31AM MCBaker wrote:

Re: waking up groggy and health watches.

For the past six months I have been researching my sleep problems. Trying one thing and another. I know my weighted blanket works, but worried about summer. I go to bed at nine, and my bedroom is only for storage of (clean) clothing. I close the closet doors to make sure. Tippy has been sleeping in his kennel. What seems to work: I completely eliminated caffeine from my diet. I got a specially shaped foam pillow for between my knees. I take ten milligrams of melatonin at bedtime. I am limited to 30 mg of Flexoril a day, so I take ten at noon, and twenty at bedtime. Those and venlafaxine, acetaminophen, and cetirizine. When I wake up during the night (and I always do) I take some CBN already in a tiny cup with water. I do not nap, when I feel sleepy around 1:00 PM I start moving around. My fitbit says I have been sleeping well, and I agree. My monthly averages for deep and rem sleep are similar to those of women my age. I spend less time awake and more time in light sleep. I have an appointment at the sleep clinic in the first week of May. I am going to change my bedding, with an ordinary blanket and no weighted blanket today.

Just really anxious, about this last little bit. Their sleep clinic is run out of the pulmonology department and I have no desire to be tied to a C-PAP for the rest of my life. With the sleep clinic being shut down for the past year, I have been fortunate enough to do some experimentation with myself.

Mary Dx 10/3/2018, DCIS, Right, 6cm+, Stage 0, Grade 3, ER-/PR- Surgery 11/15/2018 Lymph node removal: Sentinel; Mastectomy: Right; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Dx 11/16/2018, IDC, Right, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 1, 0/5 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2+ (IHC) Targeted Therapy 12/18/2018 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Chemotherapy 12/19/2018 Taxol (paclitaxel) Surgery 6/27/2019 Reconstruction (right): Fat grafting, Saline implant

Apr 15, 2021 01:19PM IllinoisLady wrote:

Applauding your strong attempts to help alleviate your sleep issues MC. I don't know much at all about C-Pap's other than my one BIL uses one. I have heard though that their is now one that is small ( not cumbersome ) like I presume those of the older variety. I also have no idea if the smaller ones can be worn by anyone. I would mention ( sometimes I resist talking about some things since I don't want to tie everything to me ) that my pulmonologist has said that I have sleep apnea which I do not believe. I wake up ( except for a rare once or twice a yr. occasion ) feeling fairly wide awake and generally refreshed. If that changes I might be inclined to go for a sleep study, but I see no need at this point. Since I am 75 and most of my friends talk about napping I have taken to having a 10 min. doze now and then which seems to have little if any effect on my night time sleep. I hope you are able to change blankets successfully and get good news at the sleep clinic.

Apr 15, 2021 01:39PM Wren44 wrote:

I have a couple of friends who started using a C-PAP two years ago. They say the results are worth the hassle. One was having A fib and it greatly reduced the frequency of those.

Lumpectomy and re-excision followed by mastectomy of right breast. Five years of anastrasole completed.

Apr 15, 2021 04:39PM MCBaker wrote:

"One was having A fib and it greatly reduced the frequency of those." Shocked

Apr 15, 2021 04:48PM mistyeyes wrote:

Petite - I get headaches and Sumatriptan works for me. I am glad it helped your husband.

IDC right- Stage IIA, Grade 3,ER-,PR+,HER2+ Dx 11/15/2016, Right, PR+, HER2+

Apr 15, 2021 09:31PM karen1956 wrote:

spring time in the Rockies. 3-6” predicted

Apr 15, 2021 09:46PM Wren44 wrote:

It's sunny and hit 70 today. The kids next door are wearing swimsuits to jump on the trampoline and the ice cream truck came by this afternoon. We take our summer days whenever they show up.

Apr 16, 2021 12:55AM Taco1946 wrote:

I've used sumatriptan for years for migraines. So glad it's helping the cluster headache. I'm often tired the day after though.

Ken's used a C-Pap for years. He's lost a lot of weigh and might be able to stop but he has continued to use it rather than go for another sleep study. It's a pain to deal with distilled water when we are traveling (but who knows when we will travel again.)

Dx 11/22/2016, IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+ Radiation Therapy 12/29/2016 Balloon-catheter: Breast Chemotherapy 2/3/2017 Taxol (paclitaxel) Targeted Therapy 2/3/2017 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Hormonal Therapy 12/4/2017 Femara (letrozole) Surgery Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Sentinel, Underarm/Axillary Targeted Therapy

Apr 16, 2021 06:55AM karen1956 wrote:

Up way too early - finally got out of bed at 4:30 as I got tired of watching the clock. Look out the back window, it looks like we got 6". Chevy - what's it like on your side of town?

Have a great Friday.

Page 1300 of 1,315 (39,450 results)