Join Us

We are 222,308 members in 83 forums discussing 162,449 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: Can we have a forum for "older" people with bc?

Forum: Older Than 60 Years Old With Breast Cancer —

Meet other women who are similar in age and dealing with age-appropriate issues.

Posted on: Feb 7, 2009 03:29PM

Northstar wrote:

I am an "older" woman with breast cancer (I was diagnosed at 65 and am now 66).  I notice that most of the posts seem to be from people younger than I am (often by quite a bit...).   I'd love to "talk" with others my age, exchange info about their diagnoses, effects on their lives, etc.   I see that there is a forum for young women.

Someone suggested that maybe it's that older people aren't so computer-savvy or aren't used to being in online discussion groups.   However, for those who are, it would be great. 

DX 8/15/08, ILC, 5.1 cm, Stage IIb, Grade 1, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-, Oncotype DX 11.

Page 1307 of 1,315 (39,447 results)

Posts 39181 - 39210 (39,447 total)

May 11, 2021 05:12PM Wren44 wrote:

Happy Birthday to you both!

Lumpectomy and re-excision followed by mastectomy of right breast. Five years of anastrasole completed.

May 11, 2021 05:45PM IllinoisLady wrote:

Happy Birthday Taco and sending strong recovery wishes to your Dh and hoping he is not away long. Long day today -- I am now doing two ladies on either Tues. or Thur. ( this week was Tues and so will next week be ) and my friend at her farm on Mondays and Fridays. The work is not hard at any of the places I go but the long days are a bit wearing.

Sandy as to your son and fiancé -- they might enjoy the song " Meet Me in Montana " and it is sung by Dan Seals and Marie Osmond. It is a favorite of mine and has been for a long time.

Each day I am thankful for nights that turned into mornings, friends that turned into family, dreams that turned into reality and likes that turned into love. ~~~Elizabeth Kuebler-Ross Dx 9/27/2007, IDC, 5cm, Stage II, Grade 3, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2-

May 12, 2021 04:53AM karen1956 wrote:

Happy birthday Taco and early birthday Cowgirl.

Karen in Denver, Dx 02/03/2006, ILC, stage IIIa, ER/PR+, HER2-,

May 12, 2021 07:31AM petite1 wrote:

Happy birthday to you both!

petite Dx 8/23/2019, ILC/IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/7 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2- Radiation Therapy 10/20/2019 Whole-breast: Breast Hormonal Therapy 12/19/2019 Arimidex (anastrozole)

May 12, 2021 01:57PM IllinoisLady wrote:

When we respect our blood ancestors and our spiritual ancestors, we feel rooted. If we find ways to cherish and develop our spiritual heritage, we will avoid the kind of alienation that is destroying society, and we will become whole again. ... Learning to touch deeply the jewels of our own tradition will allow us to understand and appreciate the values of other traditions, and this will benefit everyone. -Thich Nhat Hanh

Each day I am thankful for nights that turned into mornings, friends that turned into family, dreams that turned into reality and likes that turned into love. ~~~Elizabeth Kuebler-Ross Dx 9/27/2007, IDC, 5cm, Stage II, Grade 3, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2-

May 12, 2021 07:58PM Betrayal wrote:

Happy birthday to the "birthday girls". Many happy returns and many more birthdays to come.

Okay, well imagine my surprise when the parakeet mom moved tonight and revealed she is now sitting on 4 eggs! I have not been able to do much in the cage because she has been glued to her spot and fluffed out so catching a gander is hit or miss at best. I do not want to have her abandon them due to my interference and insistence on a clean environment. Lordy, what will I do with 4 more parakeets if they all hatch? Do they make birth control for birds? LOL

Surgery 1/31/2016 Lumpectomy: Left Surgery 1/31/2016 Lymph node removal: Sentinel Surgery 3/3/2016 Lumpectomy: Left Radiation Therapy 3/31/2016 Whole-breast: Breast Hormonal Therapy 6/24/2016 Arimidex (anastrozole) Hormonal Therapy 5/18/2017 Femara (letrozole) Hormonal Therapy 6/16/2020 Aromasin (exemestane)

May 12, 2021 08:20PM LW422 wrote:

Popping in to report that my breast ultrasound was today and I got good news for a change. After 12 weeks of Taxol my IDC lump has decreased in size and they had trouble finding it. The swollen lymph node is also significantly smaller, so woo hoo! Next week I start AC so I'll be whining about that soon.

Hope everyone is doing well.

Dx 1/12/2021, IDC, Right, 1cm, Grade 3, ER-/PR+, HER2- Dx 1/20/2021, IBC, Right, Stage IIIC Chemotherapy 2/9/2021 Taxol (paclitaxel) Chemotherapy 5/18/2021 AC

May 12, 2021 09:08PM Taco1946 wrote:

Thanks for the birthday wishes - and to you cowgirl! DH is recovering from surgery but his heart won't behave. It's going to take more drugs to get the a-fib under control. Very weak which will certainly be a problem when he comes home and wants to do way more than he should. Mutz and I have settled into a good routine for us but it certainly wasn't the one he had with the main dog walker.

I'm going to stop tomorrow at our local "lending hands" for shower chair, toilet assist etc. Picked up a wheeled walker from friends this morning. DD said she would fly out and even made arrangements for her cats who would need a live in but I don't think this is the time. Hospital still has covid restrictions - only one visitor for one visit a day. My local friends who supported me through BC are still here for me and I am grateful. One of them just brought me fresh tomatoes from her garden.

Dx 11/22/2016, IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+ Radiation Therapy 12/29/2016 Balloon-catheter: Breast Chemotherapy 2/3/2017 Taxol (paclitaxel) Targeted Therapy 2/3/2017 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Hormonal Therapy 12/4/2017 Femara (letrozole) Surgery Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Sentinel, Underarm/Axillary Targeted Therapy

May 13, 2021 04:44AM Astrid wrote:

That is fantastic news LW.

Thrilled for you.Hug

I hope the A/C goes smoothly too.

I have heard good things about Lympha...a relatively new procedure and anything that reduces your chance of getting LE is a good thing.

Lots of love. And sending prayers your way

Astrid.Heart

"You cannot step into the same river twice, for other waters are continually flowing on." Heraclitus Dx 6/2002, IDC, Both breasts, 1cm, Stage IIB, Grade 2, 1/7 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (FISH) Dx 7/2003, IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IIB, Grade 2, ER+/PR+, HER2- (FISH) Dx 6/2012, ILC, Right, 1cm, Stage IIB, Grade 2, ER+/PR-, HER2- (IHC) Radiation Therapy Whole-breast: Breast, Chest wall Chemotherapy AC Surgery Lymph node removal: Left, Right, Underarm/Axillary; Mastectomy: Left, Right

May 13, 2021 05:43AM IllinoisLady wrote:

The human family is very diverse, with many different beliefs and cultures and ways of life. Many conflicts in our world are caused when people are intolerant of the ways that others see the world. Learning tolerance is an important cornerstone to creating a better world. -Robert Alan Silverstein

May 13, 2021 05:51AM IllinoisLady wrote:

LW Yay for you. Fantastic news.

Taco I'm hoping that things will settle out okay for the a-fib and that the best therapy for it comes soon.

Betrayal -- just wow !!!Maybe the up-side is that Momma bird if she has to care for four at one time will swear off from that day forward. Just incredible.

Have to call Marion. The new glasses came ( a bit on the late side as Dh has been wearing his for a week now ) and while the prescription is right, the frames are not what I picked out. I'm quite fussy -- so these way too big ones for me have to go back. Hope they don't give me grief over the process. They are also black which is not me either. It is not the supplier -- the paper coming along listed the frames as black ( which they are ) except I chose much smaller blue frames. Dh was with me -- so we will see.

May 13, 2021 06:01AM carolehalston wrote:

LW, good news! Feeling glad for you.

Also yay on the bird mom sitting on the eggs! Love this ongoing story.

Jackie, hope you can resolve the eyeglasses frame mistake without too much trouble.

Nipple-Sparing BMX w/Alloderm & Silicone Implants 7/24/09, Oncotype Dx 9, No Chemo, No Rads, Arimidex Dx 6/25/2009, IDC, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 3, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

May 13, 2021 07:27AM MCBaker wrote:

LW, congratulations on that great news. Soon you will have surgery to remove those areas, and I pray that you will be NED for many years to come.

Mary Dx 10/3/2018, DCIS, Right, 6cm+, Stage 0, Grade 3, ER-/PR- Surgery 11/15/2018 Lymph node removal: Sentinel; Mastectomy: Right; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Dx 11/16/2018, IDC, Right, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 1, 0/5 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2+ (IHC) Targeted Therapy 12/18/2018 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Chemotherapy 12/19/2018 Taxol (paclitaxel) Surgery 6/27/2019 Reconstruction (right): Fat grafting, Saline implant

May 13, 2021 07:41AM petite1 wrote:

Good morning, ladies. It is 100 percent humidity. Yuck. DH is going to the neurologist today. He had another headache about 2 am this morning and then another one after breakfast.

petite Dx 8/23/2019, ILC/IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/7 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2- Radiation Therapy 10/20/2019 Whole-breast: Breast Hormonal Therapy 12/19/2019 Arimidex (anastrozole)

May 13, 2021 08:47AM Nsbrown54 wrote:

Happy Thursday! I had REIKI therapy and then an intentional walk. Feeling relaxed and refreshed. I hope everyone has a healthy day.

Dx 6/16/2020, IDC, Right, 6cm+, Stage IIB, ER+/PR+, HER2+ Chemotherapy 6/28/2020 Carboplatin (Paraplatin), Taxotere (docetaxel) Surgery 11/18/2020 Mastectomy Targeted Therapy 1/4/2021 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Targeted Therapy 1/25/2021 Perjeta (pertuzumab) Hormonal Therapy 6/2/2021 Arimidex (anastrozole)

May 13, 2021 04:22PM LW422 wrote:

Thanks so much everyone! I was so nervous about that scan. You are all so kind.

Happy birthday Cowgirl!! I hope you had a good day.

OMG, I can't wait to see the baby parakeets!!

IllinoisLady--how aggravating about the glasses. I'm sure they won't give you any grief; most times you are "allowed" a change to new frames and this wasn't even your fault.

Taco--do you suppose they'll install a pacemaker for the a-fib? I hope your hubby is improving.

Petite--I am hoping that the neurologist can do something to help your poor husband.

Astrid!!! :love: Thanks; it's great to hear from you. Hope all is well with you these days. You must have seen my post about the LYMPHA procedure.

Dx 1/12/2021, IDC, Right, 1cm, Grade 3, ER-/PR+, HER2- Dx 1/20/2021, IBC, Right, Stage IIIC Chemotherapy 2/9/2021 Taxol (paclitaxel) Chemotherapy 5/18/2021 AC

May 13, 2021 04:49PM IllinoisLady wrote:

Back late from Marion. Then again, late means we stopped in Mt. Vernon ( about 20 miles from home ) at Culver's for a burger and fries. Use to be Steak and Shake but no more. Actually, Culver's is easier to get to from the old highway which is how I go and come back from Marion.

We resolved the eyeglass frame issues. Someone ( I think it was Marion ) transposed a number. Unfortunately ( though I'm not affected ) my prescription got set up and put into frames that were not at all suitable for me. The girls figured this all out before Dh and I got to Marion. I already knew but that is ok. I'm still mildly irritated that I had to use most of my day to go there but they will re-send the corrected order. I think I was more miffed at first since it sounded like I was going to be told I perhaps made a poor choice and had buyer's remorse. Once I told the gal on the phone, my husband was with me that day and KNEW what I chose the tone changed. I did mention that I didn't care who had made the mistake I was definitely not keeping glasses I did not choose and that were visibly all wrong for me. All's well that ends well, but I really had other plans for my day.

Well, I will work a good part of the day tomorrow and so next day to do my own work will be the week-end.

In the meantime I have developed a backache. It progressed to a certain point and has stayed there. Guess it is an age thing catching up with me. Doing some aspirin therapy and hot and cold. Hasn't changed much so far. If it continues I may have to see if I need to do something I'm not or some type of rehab therapy.

On the 17th. I see Dr. Barrientos. ( Urologist ). He will set up a time for me to go into the hospital for a scope. Unless VERY new that should be negative. I just had a Pet Scan recently and nothing showed up. Then again, I will be on a schedule for the Urology tests until I've had four the first yr. Two the second yr. and 1 a yr. thereafter so that is the program after the successful tx. of my bladder cancer.

Hope you all had a nice day.Nsbrown54 -- good for you. Relaxed and refreshing days are fantastic. Hope you have lots more.

May 13, 2021 07:57PM MinusTwo wrote:

LW - Hooray. Hope the AC continues the tumor destruction.

2/15/11 BMX-DCIS 2SNB clear-TEs; 9/15/11-410gummies; 3/20/13 recurrance-5.5cm,mets to lymphs, Stage IIIB IDC ER/PRneg,HER2+; TCH/Perjeta/Neulasta x6; ALND 9/24/13 1/18 nodes 4.5cm; AC chemo 10/30/13 x3; herceptin again; Rads Feb2014

May 13, 2021 08:04PM LW422 wrote:

Thanks, -2. I hope so, too!

May 14, 2021 08:05AM Betrayal wrote:

LW422: Good news!

IllinoisLady: Glad the glasses issue was resolved with only minimal pushback. Hope the new ones arrive soon and are the right ones. Sorry about the back issue and hope it resolves quickly. Hope the news from the urologist is all good.

Last night discovered that one of the parakeet eggs was lying on the opposite side of the cage and was broken. I have no idea when this occurred since she had been sitting on all 4 in the morning. My DS and GS visited yesterday and my GS was so excited about seeing the mother sitting on the eggs. He could just see them under her when he crouched down. So she is just down to 3 eggs unless she decides to lay another (hope not). I think incubation is about 21 days so we are about halfway through.

Surgery 1/31/2016 Lumpectomy: Left Surgery 1/31/2016 Lymph node removal: Sentinel Surgery 3/3/2016 Lumpectomy: Left Radiation Therapy 3/31/2016 Whole-breast: Breast Hormonal Therapy 6/24/2016 Arimidex (anastrozole) Hormonal Therapy 5/18/2017 Femara (letrozole) Hormonal Therapy 6/16/2020 Aromasin (exemestane)

May 14, 2021 12:29PM MCBaker wrote:

I have read somewhere that when a bird pushes an egg out of the nest, it is because it is dead. It was probably not an accident.

Mary Dx 10/3/2018, DCIS, Right, 6cm+, Stage 0, Grade 3, ER-/PR- Surgery 11/15/2018 Lymph node removal: Sentinel; Mastectomy: Right; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Dx 11/16/2018, IDC, Right, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 1, 0/5 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2+ (IHC) Targeted Therapy 12/18/2018 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Chemotherapy 12/19/2018 Taxol (paclitaxel) Surgery 6/27/2019 Reconstruction (right): Fat grafting, Saline implant

May 14, 2021 12:44PM LW422 wrote:

Betrayal--thanks for sharing the parakeet egg saga; I'm looking for daily updates and I can't WAIT to see the "babies."

Hope everyone is having a pleasant Friday and looking forward to a relaxing weekend. I have pork chops in the crockpot so dinner will be easy this evening. I'm all about easy.

May 14, 2021 03:28PM IllinoisLady wrote:

Thank goodness MC. I'm no longer in mourning for the "broken" egg. You know, it sounded 'right' after reading it. Anyway, here's hoping that all else is fine with the 'three' eggs.

Good afternoon. I went to work today despite the 'back' and I can't say I feel better yet, but I certainly don't feel worse. I hope it is the result of my aspirin therapy. Using hot and cold at times as well.

Glad to have a couple days off although there are always things to do here. Nice part is that I don't have to do them with major gusto. I can just plod along.

May 14, 2021 08:48PM Taco1946 wrote:

LD422 - Ken has had a pacemaker for 14 years - in fact he's already had it replaced once. I think they only work for d-fib, not a-fib but I have no medical background other than being married to a surgeon. I am extremely frustrated. He called last night about 6 and said he had been discharged. No discussion with me about discharge planning and I think he needs to go to a rehab rather than have home health care and PT a few days a week. He's still getting IV drugs and thinks he's only been walked as far as the bathroom 3 times. That may be correct or not, but either way it suggests that he is not ready to be in my care. He was mentally capable and walked 4-5 miles a day until last Friday night. At least I made enough noise to get the discharge orders cancelled. I don't think I could get him out of the car and into the house much less manage his pain medications. So that's my rant for the night! Going to walk Mutz and try to get some sleep.

Dx 11/22/2016, IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+ Radiation Therapy 12/29/2016 Balloon-catheter: Breast Chemotherapy 2/3/2017 Taxol (paclitaxel) Targeted Therapy 2/3/2017 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Hormonal Therapy 12/4/2017 Femara (letrozole) Surgery Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Sentinel, Underarm/Axillary Targeted Therapy

May 14, 2021 10:19PM LW422 wrote:

Glad you raised a stink and got the reversal on discharge, Taco. I hope you can get some sleep tonight.

What I know about a-fib will fit into a thimble with plenty of room left over, so I just "assumed" a pacemaker might help. Sorry!! I need to try not to give medical advice on the internet, lol.

May 15, 2021 06:32AM IllinoisLady wrote:

"The moment one definitely commits oneself, then Providence moves too. All sorts of things occur to help one that would never otherwise have occurred. A whole stream of events issues from the decision which no man could have dreamed would have come his way. Whatever you can do, or dream you can do, begin it. Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it. Begin it now."

John Anster

May 15, 2021 06:53AM IllinoisLady wrote:

Cloudy outside but then we have rain in the forecast for the next several days. Just hoping we don't get too much. The gray will be not so welcome by me.

The above quote is a repeat which I often do. This one is special to me as it was never more true for me then when we moved back home here. In 1996 my dad passed away and Mom brought him home to bury him and chose to stay -- only returning to Calif. long enough to handle her move. The moment she left Calif. it no longer felt like home to me.

Something kept ( mentally ) urging me to come back home as well. I felt like my Dh would resist and put it off. The persistent feeling ( idea/soft but insistent voice ) just kept going. Finally when I thought I'd have to likely cry and plead for the next 6 mos. minimum, Dh thought it over for a couple of minutes and said, ok. Fine. We'll do it. Well, we were able to buy a house here long distance, sell our very little and old mobile home for a great price, hire a moving company that was extremely reasonable, and move here all in less than 6 mos. It is really how those things we are really supposed to for sure do turn out.

I hope you all have a wonderful Saturday.

May 15, 2021 11:19AM Wren44 wrote:

DH has a pacemaker that keeps his heart pumping but doesn't do anything for a heart attack. My niece's husband had a cardiac arrest. His implant would shock him when his heart stopped. He was much younger than DH, so that may have had something to do with the different kinds. DH's heart would just stop beating and he would pass out. The halter monitor didn't pick it up, but the implanted one showed what was happening right away. His cardiologist showed us the print out. I see why they call it flat lining.

Lumpectomy and re-excision followed by mastectomy of right breast. Five years of anastrasole completed.

May 15, 2021 06:45PM Taco1946 wrote:

Ken seems have turned a corner and the plan is to move him to rehab tomorrow or Monday (according to his surgeon, it depends on whether they can get "transportation" on a Sunday). It seems to me that it would be cheaper and he could get the care, mainly PT, he currently needs to get his strength back if they would pay the overtime to move patients on the weekend. Neither the hospital nor the rehab are small places. I live in a large suburb of Phoenix, not some rural area north of the Grand Canyon. If someone could get him in and out of my car, I could even drive him to the new place which Is less from a mile from the hospital but of course they couldn't let me do that. It would have also been cheaper in the end, if PT had started the day after surgery, not today with one short walk and maybe no PT tomorrow. End of tonight's rant!

May 16, 2021 04:23AM petite1 wrote:

Taco, I am glad he has turn the corner. Hopefully he can get settled into rehab soon.

Page 1307 of 1,315 (39,447 results)