Topic: Can we have a forum for "older" people with bc?

Forum: Older Than 60 Years Old With Breast Cancer — Meet other women who are similar in age and dealing with age-appropriate issues.

Posted on: Feb 7, 2009 05:29PM

Posted on: Feb 7, 2009 05:29PM

Northstar wrote:

I am an "older" woman with breast cancer (I was diagnosed at 65 and am now 66).  I notice that most of the posts seem to be from people younger than I am (often by quite a bit...).   I'd love to "talk" with others my age, exchange info about their diagnoses, effects on their lives, etc.   I see that there is a forum for young women.

Someone suggested that maybe it's that older people aren't so computer-savvy or aren't used to being in online discussion groups.   However, for those who are, it would be great. 

DX 8/15/08, ILC, 5.1 cm, Stage IIb, Grade 1, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-, Oncotype DX 11.

Page 1324 of 4,111 (41,102 results)

Sep 7, 2012 06:36PM illinoislady wrote:

Three things cannot be long hidden: the sun, the moon, and the truth.
Buddha
Each day I am thankful for nights that turned into mornings, friends that turned into family, dreams that turned into reality and likes that turned into love. ~~~Elizabeth Kuebler-Ross Dx 9/27/2007, IDC, 5cm, Stage II, Grade 3, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2-

Sep 7, 2012 06:41PM illinoislady wrote:

Think we are getting ready for a pour-down.  There has been a bit of noise out and it is very dark now.  Well, more rain will not hurt us.  Sure glad the week-end is here.  I watched  the Dems convention speeches every night and all of them were superb.  Just a bit tired though after getting all jazzed up just about time to go to bed.  Glad we are through everything.......time will tell how things will go.

Lots of work to catch up on this week-end.  I'll be here in the morning.......when I can sit with my coffee and post like I normally like too in the early hours.  Hope you all have a fantastic night.

Hugs, Jackie

Each day I am thankful for nights that turned into mornings, friends that turned into family, dreams that turned into reality and likes that turned into love. ~~~Elizabeth Kuebler-Ross Dx 9/27/2007, IDC, 5cm, Stage II, Grade 3, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2-

Sep 7, 2012 08:12PM bonnets wrote:

10 mm is about 1 cm, so  shud be smaller than a marble, but good , about the same as yours was!

Don't know on the surgery, as it hinges on the BRACA trst results , which are not back yet. I agree, want to get it over with. 

Bonnets Dx 8/30/2012, IDC, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 9/13/2012 Lumpectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Right, Sentinel Radiation Therapy 10/21/2012 Breast

Sep 8, 2012 05:50AM chevyboy wrote:

Bonnets, you are right!  I looked up 1mm, NOT 1cm!  So we are very lucky, I think!  My Doc said it was about the size of my small fingrnail...

Did your annual mammogram find yours?  

The seasons are changing, Ha!  It's only 52 degrees out this morning!   Cleaning out my gardens, and putting Summer stuff away today........

Don't walk ahead of me, I might not follow. Don't walk behind me, I may not want to lead. Just walk beside me & be my friend. Dx 11/2009, IDC, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+ Hormonal Therapy Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone)

Sep 8, 2012 05:52AM chevyboy wrote:

Don't walk ahead of me, I might not follow. Don't walk behind me, I may not want to lead. Just walk beside me & be my friend. Dx 11/2009, IDC, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+ Hormonal Therapy Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone)

Sep 8, 2012 08:18AM bonnets wrote:

Yes, got a call back on my yearly mammo. I have been seeing the breast surgeon for the last year , due to my  history of my young daughter having had BC. I saw him in June, didn't find anything. Had mammo  beginning of August, call back, redo, sono(nothing on that, bio, = BC . Know a fair amt. about the beast, but only now read that "older moman are more likely to get breast cancer' most of us think the opposite, and if you have a sister, mother or daughter who got it under the age of 50 , you are 50% more likely to get it!" Live and learn!

Yes, smaller , hopefully the better. 

Bonnets Dx 8/30/2012, IDC, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 9/13/2012 Lumpectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Right, Sentinel Radiation Therapy 10/21/2012 Breast

Sep 8, 2012 08:38AM GramE wrote:

Clouds are here, so rain is probably coming according to weather report.   The annual Crab Feast at the American Legion is today.   I will either be taking money or passing out drinks and eating a bit here and there.... LOL.   have a great day. 

Sep 8, 2012 10:30AM illinoislady wrote:

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.
The old skin has to be shed before the new one can come.
- Joseph Campbell

Sep 8, 2012 10:46AM illinoislady wrote:

It's a beautiful sunshiny day here.  Had more rain through the night.....too fast, I think, but then as we have had several now.....I think we have managed to get a little water into our ground.  Everyone does seem to have geen lawns again and most are having to re-start mowing cycles.  Our second Fall is not that far off.....actually....we are awaiting the yard machine Dh purchased so we can do the first cleaning of the yearly Fall dropping of leaves, nuts, twigs and other debris that ends up in the yard.  Such a blessing not to have to spend the next two months or slightly more doing yard cleaning and blowing it all into the ravines on either side of our house. 

bonnets, I think we older ladies often do a little better with the BC than the younger ladies.  Not sure why, but partly because some of the possibilities for us just don't have developing time due to our age......and the fact that everything.....including cancer cells tends to slow way down.  Wonder if that means the chemo stays around a tiny bit longer.....doing its job a little better. Anyway, guess the truth is.....the longer anyone lives, the more chance you have for acquiring ANY medical problem. 

Gram.....don't work too hard today.  I think I'd like to be there sampling.  I do like crab on occasion as much as several other kinds of fish.  I don't eat it often enough though. 

Hope you all have a gorgeous day.

Hugs, Jackie

Sep 8, 2012 11:49AM carolehalston wrote:

Gram, lucky you.  A crab feast sounds dee-licious!  What kind of crab?

If there's such a thing as "good" bc, then it's "in situ."  The recovery rate is 99 per cent.  I read that info on a big chart in my bc dr.'s office when I was in a little exam room waiting for the dr.'s appearance.  Invasive is not good at all.  Even if there are no cancer cells in the lymph nodes that are examined and removed, there's always a chance a cell might have migrated into the body via some other route.  Sorry, didn't mean to scare us IDC folks.  If my tumor had been in situ, I probably would have elected lumpectomy.

The wind is howling here in Eden, SD.  The sun is also shining brightly.  It was 52 degrees when I rolled out of bed at 9 am.  Lazy me.  I had meant to walk this morning but didn't brave that gusting wind.  DH and I are on our own today since our friends were signed up for a Lions Club conference at another town.  It feels good to hang out with nowhere to go and nothing to do.  A little while ago I assembled a polish sausage and cabbage dish for the slow cooker.  We could go half a block to Cafe Eden but we've been eating out since we got here.

Yesterday I went with my friend Georgia to a meat market in Sisseton, a neighboring town, where she buys her meat.  The prices were really good so I bought some steaks, ground meat and beef short ribs for the freezer.  We also have 3 packs of walleye filets in the freezer, gifts from Georgia and Walt.  We brought them Louisiana shrimp so it was actually a trade.

Tomorrow we'll be on the move again.

Hugs to all.

Nipple-Sparing BMX w/Alloderm & Silicone Implants 7/24/09, Oncotype Dx 9, No Chemo, No Rads, Arimidex Dx 6/25/2009, IDC, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 3, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Page 1324 of 4,111 (41,102 results)

Scroll to top button