Topic: Can we have a forum for "older" people with bc?

Forum: Older Than 60 Years Old With Breast Cancer — Meet other women who are similar in age and dealing with age-appropriate issues.

Posted on: Feb 7, 2009 06:29PM

Posted on: Feb 7, 2009 06:29PM

Northstar wrote:

I am an "older" woman with breast cancer (I was diagnosed at 65 and am now 66).  I notice that most of the posts seem to be from people younger than I am (often by quite a bit...).   I'd love to "talk" with others my age, exchange info about their diagnoses, effects on their lives, etc.   I see that there is a forum for young women.

Someone suggested that maybe it's that older people aren't so computer-savvy or aren't used to being in online discussion groups.   However, for those who are, it would be great. 

DX 8/15/08, ILC, 5.1 cm, Stage IIb, Grade 1, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-, Oncotype DX 11.

Page 1332 of 4,111 (41,101 results)

Sep 18, 2012 07:33AM bonnets wrote:

Thanks for the tape suggestions. just knew the steri strips bothered me after the bio, now have a lovely blister from the tape over the gauze. Will remember the hints if I ever do surgery again! Never used to be allergic to anything! Old Age is such fun!!!! Now its seasonal, tape, base metal, AAAhhhh, the Golden Years!

Lovely day here , rain, rain , rain. Gotta go to hubby's cardio pp. He has a carotid sono tomorrow. He's been the big problem this year, open heart, gout, melanoma , now "turbulance" hopefully nothing. I go along to appts or I get the usual man reply to what did he say? "Nothing" :)

Enjoy Chicago, Termite,  sure has changed since my days ! Jean

Bonnets Dx 8/30/2012, IDC, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 9/14/2012 Lumpectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Right, Sentinel Radiation Therapy 10/22/2012 Breast

Sep 18, 2012 08:05AM chevyboy wrote:

Jean! Wishing the best for your husband!  My DH had a pace-maker "installed" over 10 years ago...Then a replacement 2 years ago... We are so thankful for all the new technology! 

What is "turbulance"....Yes, you have to go to appointments... Husbands never ask anything, won't take nothin" and can't remember what the Doc tells them.  That's if you can even GET them to see a Doctor!

They usually will go when they are face-down on the side-walk, or can't move without keeling over!   They will wait until a lot of "things" crop up so they won't have to make too many doctor visits! Wink  Broken bones usually will only have a week before seeing about repair.  Too much loss of bodily fluids might mean a "wait and see"  until they run out of blood somewhere.......  Or an "unknown" "something" that shows up on them, calls for a sharp knife, and reading glasses for removal!

Don't walk ahead of me, I might not follow. Don't walk behind me, I may not want to lead. Just walk beside me & be my friend. Dx 11/2009, IDC, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+ Hormonal Therapy Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone)

Sep 18, 2012 08:53AM Kaara wrote:

Hi everyone!  I've been so remiss about not coming on the site to read and post:(  Shame on me!  I've just had non stop trips and company so it's been difficult to even get on the computer.

I haven't had time to read through all of the posts, but am wishing everyone well and welcome to any newbies to the thread.  

Next Monday I go for my diagnostic mammogram..it has been over one year since I was first dx with a suspicious area in my left breast.  I'm feeling great with no problems..even my hot flashes are gone..yea!...so I don't expect any issues.  This will be a good test to see if my thermogram was correct back in April when it showed that there was absolutely nothing on the horizon that was suspicious in either breast.  The only thing that lit up was the surgical area and I was told that was normal for recent surgery.

Fall is setting in here in the mountains..cooler days and nights.  We had a huge storm with wind and rain blow through here last night...thought my deck furniture was going to be in the next county..lol!  This is the time of year I love the best..when the leaves start to change.

Have a great week everyone! 

Kaara Dx 11/14/2011, IDC, <1cm, Stage I, Grade 1, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Sep 18, 2012 09:52AM bonnets wrote:

CHevyboy,

Love it , you are right on about men and Drs. This spring he told me  "I'm going in , the cold weather is bohering me" not that he was having chest pains. He finally went to the Dr when he listened to the Drs on TV,describing what he was experiencing. ENDED UP WITH BI-PASS! Had I known wud have had him at the ER long before. :O

Bonnets Dx 8/30/2012, IDC, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 9/14/2012 Lumpectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Right, Sentinel Radiation Therapy 10/22/2012 Breast

Sep 18, 2012 10:26AM illinoislady wrote:

With gratitude, all life appears as a blessing -
without gratitude, all of life
is perceived as a burden.
- Jonathan Lockwood Huie
Each day I am thankful for nights that turned into mornings, friends that turned into family, dreams that turned into reality and likes that turned into love. ~~~Elizabeth Kuebler-Ross Dx 9/27/2007, IDC, 5cm, Stage II, Grade 3, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2-

Sep 18, 2012 10:32AM illinoislady wrote:

Good morning.....running late as usual.  Where does the time go.......cool today.  Not bad though.  I think we are going to wake up quickly to Fall.......as we had the drought since June -- meaning no real summer.  It is coming now so will be so short.

Chevy....I'll be getting back to you after work.  Anyway, life goes on for the most part.  At least we can now get some things done.  We ahd such a nice rain yesterday.  Slow but consistent.  More came down for several hours than I thought by weatherman's account.  I thought it would be a real quickie and then Dh could get some "real" yard work done. 

I'll be wishing you all well......Kaara, will be thinking of you this coming week and the mammo.  Always a little inner tremble when these times come around. 

See you all later.

Hugs, Jackie

Each day I am thankful for nights that turned into mornings, friends that turned into family, dreams that turned into reality and likes that turned into love. ~~~Elizabeth Kuebler-Ross Dx 9/27/2007, IDC, 5cm, Stage II, Grade 3, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2-

Sep 18, 2012 11:20AM chevyboy wrote:

Yes Bonnets.... I know.........  DH got to where he couldn't hardly mow the lawn, go up stairs, or any kind of exertion!   After two weeks, finally made an appointment....  They saw him, took BP, and thought he was alright...ordered blood work, but I went out in the hall, to tell them, PLEASE take his pulse!  My Mom had congestive heart failure, and he seems to be like her!  They took his pulse, then the cardiogram, and they saw it, left the room, got the Doc, said never mind the blood work, get him to the emergency room.  He had "heart block".... The lower part of his heart was not working!

So damnit!  So we drove to emergency, and THEY said "We thought you were coming in an ambulance!"....  Who knew?????  He got the pace-maker the next morning....and he is good now.......  But if we listen to our DH, we will know nothing more than when we started!....   At least he didn't wait until he could not MOVE before he went in!

Good luck with the Mammogram Kaara!  I know it will be okay.........

Don't walk ahead of me, I might not follow. Don't walk behind me, I may not want to lead. Just walk beside me & be my friend. Dx 11/2009, IDC, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+ Hormonal Therapy Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone)

Sep 18, 2012 12:39PM mommarch wrote:

Some days I am just so fatigued, this happens to be one of them.  Woke up last night several times with leg and foot cramps.  I know it is the tamoxifen and I think the fatigue is also. 

Our daughter found out yesterday that she has PKD.  It runs rampet in our family.  She is pretty devastated.  It seems everytime things start to work out for her something else happens.  I told to just go on with their plans get married in Oct. that David would always be there for her, he is not like the other Butt heads she knew.

Everyone have a good day

Life isn't about waiting for the Storm to pass...it's learning how to dance in the Rain! Vivian Green, writer and artist Dx 3/11/2011, 2cm, Stage IIA, Grade 3, 0/23 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2-

Sep 18, 2012 01:24PM wren44 wrote:

My DH had a mild heart attack in 1988. He dropped by urgent care on his way to another appt and asked about his symptoms (which had been going on since the previous evening). They took his blood, put him in the ER and took away his clothes. He said he would have left if he still had something to put on. He ended up with 5 bypasses. He's still doing well.

Lumpectomy and re-excision followed by mastectomy of right breast. Five years of anastrasole completed.

Sep 18, 2012 02:24PM bonnets wrote:

They are all alike :) We are sure lucky they are still with us. Got mine a shirt while we were on vacation, Stubborn Old Mule!

Page 1332 of 4,111 (41,101 results)

Scroll to top button