Topic: Can we have a forum for "older" people with bc?

Forum: Older Than 60 Years Old With Breast Cancer — Meet other women who are similar in age and dealing with age-appropriate issues.

Posted on: Feb 7, 2009 06:29PM

Posted on: Feb 7, 2009 06:29PM

Northstar wrote:

I am an "older" woman with breast cancer (I was diagnosed at 65 and am now 66).  I notice that most of the posts seem to be from people younger than I am (often by quite a bit...).   I'd love to "talk" with others my age, exchange info about their diagnoses, effects on their lives, etc.   I see that there is a forum for young women.

Someone suggested that maybe it's that older people aren't so computer-savvy or aren't used to being in online discussion groups.   However, for those who are, it would be great. 

DX 8/15/08, ILC, 5.1 cm, Stage IIb, Grade 1, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-, Oncotype DX 11.

Page 160 of 4,171 (41,705 results)

Jul 19, 2009 10:54AM illinoislady wrote:

Peg  You have quite a story to tell and you are extremely eloquent.  I think your story goes like all of our stories go --- in whatever direction God takes it.  Having said that I hope you will not think me too glib.  It is easy to **take it out of our hands** by placing it in God's.  Yet....each of us has the SPARK of our Creator inside themselves, so it is still in our domain.  I have read a lot of books....Deepak Chopra, Eckart Tolle, Brian Weiss, and I believe that we choose what our life will be like --- the ups and downs, the disasters, the miracles --- and that their is a unique purpose to all of it. 

No one can really tell you the WHY of your life, just as most of us can't tell the why of our own.  All we can do is think the best/highest/healthiest ( yes even in the midst of disease processes ) thoughts we are able ( these are declarations to ourselves ) of peace and harmony and wellness inside of ourselves. 

At whatever point we are in life is where we are meant to be.  I learned to have faith in that because frankly nothing else came close to answering so many of the " questions " my life was so fond of presenting. When I took things apart to find the common denominator that was the final answer --- the one factor that was always a part of everything else.  People are where they are because they will learn and grow from what they are experiencing.  Sometimes we need these events to help us grow in some way, but we also are able in fact at times, to help many others in their growth too.  Of course, this did come after much studying and reading and thinking and praying.  My belief is that we are not randomly tossed into the universe.

There is a neatness, an order,  to all of this.  I do not believe in fate, co-incidence, happenstance, randomness,chance,luck though from time to time for want of a descriptive word I may have to insert one of those words.  I do believe we are all deeply spiritual beings no matter where we are....meaning all the way from complete non-believers to the deepest of believers but belief or lack of is not really the point. Faith is the point.  It is the only thing that ever resonated inside of me loud and clear and I am humble that I was given this answer.

The words of an old song:  Just what makes that little ole' ant, think he can move a rubber tree plant,  High hopes he has high hopes ---  high apple pie in the sky hopes

Next time your found, with your chin on the ground
There a lot to be learned, so look around

Just what makes that little old ant
Think hell move that rubber tree plant
Anyone knows an ant, cant
Move a rubber tree plant

But hes got high hopes, hes got high hopes
Hes got high apple pie, in the sky hopes

So any time your gettin low
stead of lettin go
Just remember that ant
Oops there goes another rubber tree plant

When troubles call, and your backs to the wall
There a lot to be learned, that wall could fall

Once there was a silly old ram
Thought hed punch a hole in a dam
No one could make that ram, scram
He kept buttin that dam

cause he had high hopes, he had high hopes
He had high apple pie, in the sky hopes

So any time your feelin bad
stead of feelin sad
Just remember that ram
Oops there goes a billion kilowatt dam

All problems just a toy balloon
Theyll be bursted soon
Theyre just bound to go pop
Oops there goes another problem kerplop

We have to keep going and do the best we can with what we have and keep the most positive attitude that we can....in the faith that we are meant to be where we are.....even if we are not sure why.  I do know miracles happen and I do know as well that when it is time to learn the whys of our life.....we will.

As far as this illness goes....my case is not anywhere close to yours and hopefully someone who has more practical information for that will chime in soon.  I just want to let you know someone here has heard you and cares what you have to say.  God Bless.

Hugs, Jackie

Each day I am thankful for nights that turned into mornings, friends that turned into family, dreams that turned into reality and likes that turned into love. ~~~Elizabeth Kuebler-Ross Dx 9/27/2007, IDC, 5cm, Stage II, Grade 3, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2-

Jul 19, 2009 12:03PM wwjd wrote:

dkhancock;  Thanks, but you have to remember that I am retired!! I can sit all day and read, or do whatever.  I'll bet you have 10 x the energy I have.

wwjd In God We Trust

Jul 19, 2009 12:19PM amE2 wrote:

Jackie,

Thank You, I couldn't have said it better if I tired.  

Pegat13.  I have Stage IV cancer and people that are angry at me because I am refuse to be a suffering sad sack.  Go figure. BUT I am not in a lot of pain.  I can tell you it would be a lot different if I was because I am not one to suffer pain or inconvenience well.  One of the things I don't suffer well is headaches and my Zometa infusion once a month gives me a two week headache and flu symptoms.  I do get medicine for the headaches. So, I am learning to cope.

I will say a prayer or two for you.  I was told many years ago, life is not fair, get over thinking it is now while you are young as it will just get worse.

I am going to try to remember that as my next years go forward.

Lot's of good wishes and good luck to you.

Hugs, Pam

Jul 19, 2009 12:20PM - edited Jul 19, 2009 12:33PM by wwjd

PamW.  Thanks for the info.  How long have you been on the Arimidex? HER2 is a 1+. I've been on the Arim. for 6 weeks and I think there is a difference. SE  Hot Flashes (never had them before) The year I was 50 (almost 30 years agoLaughing doesn't seem possible.) I had my last period. My worst SE is headache on the left side of my head comes and goes, but seems to be less than more now.  You sound wonderful and in charge of your life. good luck  with everything. wwjd
wwjd In God We Trust

Jul 19, 2009 01:03PM dkhancock1948 wrote:

Peg:  To find a lump the day of your son's wedding and I am sure (by the way that you have written) you didn't tell anyone until after the wedding was way over, if then.  I am sure you thought, why didn't I feel this before?  I am considerably new to all this "cancer" compared to others.  I just found out last November.  So, I don't have anything to offer you in wisdom and knowledge.  My husband didn't have cancer, but he had diabetes that ravaged his body.  He had diabetic nuropathy and he couldn't stand up without putting his arms out to balance himself.  I wished I had known more about neuropathy then, but I didn't research it like I did when I got it from Taxol.  Bud and I had no idea that the balance issue was from his nueropathy.

You will definitely be in my prayers.  I am glad you found this thread.  You can say anything here - whether you are up or down.  There is a lot of love and concern on these threads.  Debbie

Debbie www.caringbridge.org/visit/deb... Dx 11/12/2008, ILC, 2cm, Stage IIA, 3/6 nodes, ER+, HER2-

Jul 19, 2009 02:10PM Barbara173 wrote:

Hi, that would be great. My mom was just diagnosed and would love to speak to others.

Jul 19, 2009 03:47PM lassie11 wrote:

Barbara - your Mom is lucky to have you! I found when I was first diagnosed that reading what is here sorted out a whole bunch of questions for me. Now I know more than I ever wanted to - and enough to have some sense of order about what is happening. This site has been a  magnificent help.
From each according to ability; to each according to need.

Jul 19, 2009 04:58PM carolehalston wrote:

pegat13, there is nothing fair about getting cancer.  I understand your anger because I am very ticked off to realize that all my years of being pro-actively healthy didn't prevent me from flunking my annual mammogram in June.  I went last year and was tested for the BRCA 1 mutated gene and tested negative.  So here I am the unlucky one woman in eight who are diagnosed with breast cancer. 

On the positive side, my tumor was detected early.  It's small.  It's estrogen positive, which means I get to take 5 yrs. of Arimidex.  I've been reading the Arimidex thread on this web site and learning about all the unpleasant side effects that may be in store for me. 

I wish you the best of treatment possible.  Feel free to vent. 

Nipple-Sparing BMX w/Alloderm & Silicone Implants 7/24/09, Oncotype Dx 9, No Chemo, No Rads, Arimidex Dx 6/25/2009, IDC, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 3, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Jul 19, 2009 05:04PM socallisa wrote:

I have neuropathy also..eight years now..and do I ever have balance "issues"...don't you just hate that word, issues...at any rate I had PT and it did help and I take Lyrica which , for me, has been a godsend...hard to believe I play doubles tennis...my partners are very forgiving ..

It is good that this website and this forum are now available..when I  got the news it was 2000 and not alot of support was available on the web...

Biography: DX 11/2000 LCIS,DCIS,IDC 2B, Grade 1, ER+,PR+ Her2Neg 1 pos node Lumptectomy, CMF chemo X 6 mos, DX 8/2001, IDC same breast--Mastectomy , Left Breast Lumpectomy... Tamoxifen, one year...Armidex, Four years

Jul 19, 2009 05:33PM 02929 wrote:

Hello all.  I'm so glad I was fortunate enough to find this site several days ago.  Thanks for it!!  I am 79 and was diagnosed last Tue. with papillary carcinoma.  I haven't yet been able to find any reference to that.  Have an appt. with surgeon on Wednesday and will learn more then but have been trying to get a heads-up.   I also had seen mentioned  a thread explaining all the abbreviations used here but cannot seem to find it again.   I love using  the computer but don't know enough about it to do all that  I'd like.  Also, wonder if there is a way to fast forward to where I left off in a certain thread.  There's just no way to read everything in one sitting and it's so time consuming to start all over again.  Thanks for any help anyone  can send my way. 

Dx 7/13/2009, DCIS, 1cm, Stage 0, Grade 1, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+

Page 160 of 4,171 (41,705 results)

Scroll to top button