Topic: Can we have a forum for "older" people with bc?

Forum: Older Than 60 Years Old With Breast Cancer — Meet other women who are similar in age and dealing with age-appropriate issues.

Posted on: Feb 7, 2009 06:29PM

Posted on: Feb 7, 2009 06:29PM

Northstar wrote:

I am an "older" woman with breast cancer (I was diagnosed at 65 and am now 66).  I notice that most of the posts seem to be from people younger than I am (often by quite a bit...).   I'd love to "talk" with others my age, exchange info about their diagnoses, effects on their lives, etc.   I see that there is a forum for young women.

Someone suggested that maybe it's that older people aren't so computer-savvy or aren't used to being in online discussion groups.   However, for those who are, it would be great. 

DX 8/15/08, ILC, 5.1 cm, Stage IIb, Grade 1, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-, Oncotype DX 11.

Page 161 of 4,144 (41,439 results)

Jul 19, 2009 05:58PM illinoislady wrote:

02929 --- Papillary cancer....a very slow, lazy cancer for the most part....this could be a real bonus for you.  Having said that....I had a Papillary cancer and most of it came out in the biopsy tube.  I would have needed very little treatment if that had been all I had.  Turns out I had a second much bigger tumor in the same breast.....which shouldn't be the case for you. 

At the top of this page is a forum index.....that should direct you to all the info and where to find it here.

As to fast forwarding.....here's what I have done --- hope I can explain it .  On the top bar of my computer is a place that says favorites --- on some computers it may say bookmark ---- anything I want to get to quickly....I put in favorites or bookmarks.  Just tap the word favorites or bookmarks and it will give you a little box.....I think it may have the word add in the box.  I'm hoping at this point it will get self explanatory as I can't leave what I'm typing and get back....I'll lose the whole post.  Anyway.....when you want to go to the page where you were reading last...look down at the bottom of the page ( I think it may be on top as well ) and it will give you numbers.....hit any of the numbers and you will go to that page.

You will be learning a lot.....about cancer...and maybe computers too.  I still consider myself a novice after using one for years.  The only difference between myself and others is that I know that you can always hit the back button generally found at the top of the past with a circle and an arrow and reverse what you did.. 

I hope you will come often and see us.  Also, as you become more familiar with names and people.....you will find roaming the site and others is not difficult and you will not lose your place and have to start over. 

Hopefully, a couple of others will share their tips and we will get you where you are comfortable with all of this. 

Hugs Jackie

Each day I am thankful for nights that turned into mornings, friends that turned into family, dreams that turned into reality and likes that turned into love. ~~~Elizabeth Kuebler-Ross Dx 9/27/2007, IDC, 5cm, Stage II, Grade 3, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2-

Jul 19, 2009 06:13PM 02929 wrote:

Jackie: 

Thank you so much!  I tried it and it worked like a charm and will save hours!

Maggie

Dx 7/13/2009, DCIS, 1cm, Stage 0, Grade 1, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+

Jul 19, 2009 06:27PM illinoislady wrote:

Hmmm, yes....good ole' cancer.  It's most definitely equal opportunity based on nothing.  I have known people that did everything wrong ( at least what many of us were always told was wrong ) and often they are the ones who seem to do fair in all situations.  Yet....and as Carole mentioned...you can do everything right and still seemingly it did not help where cancer is concerned for her.  I still adhere to the principle that this is not some random act that happens to us --- because all of the above is a dichotomy and makes little sense ----  you know there just isn't some entity going  ---oh ya...you in the green blouse, you'll get heart attack tomorrow...and the one in yellow -- you get some cancer.  I don't always feel better about what takes place in my life though because somethings....like canser are just hard to take......for any reason.  But it does make sense to me....in fact, I do feel there is a reason for it --- even if I am not let in on that reason.  All I can do.....now that I have this is visualize healthy cells in my body doing their work to keep me well....( now that chemo and rads have been over for a fair spell ) and to resist any thought of ever having to do this again.  I say to myself....every time I remotely think of this disease....once was enough....I learned all I need to know and I will not have this again.  I will move into the light and energy of good health and stay there.  There is a mind, body and spirit connection to everything you go through and I intend to honor that ---  I have seen and known people who honored that fact....though often they did not even realize what they were doing and I saw it work over and over. 

Lisa....yes...sometimes I can stagger from a standing still position due to little more than a slight tilt of my head to GET READY to take off walking.  Embarrasing now and then but not as bad as falling down under the same conditions which I have also done.  At first I found it a huge irritation but now I'm more amused than anything.  It has gottem better over time. 

Jackie

Each day I am thankful for nights that turned into mornings, friends that turned into family, dreams that turned into reality and likes that turned into love. ~~~Elizabeth Kuebler-Ross Dx 9/27/2007, IDC, 5cm, Stage II, Grade 3, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2-

Jul 19, 2009 08:44PM Gramof3 wrote:

Animated Words - Welcome

Peg  Glad you found the wonderful women on this thread.  We'll help however we can. 

Chooks,  Hope you are having a quiet weekend.  I go for Taxol #10 tomorrow, then to dentist for check up for the Zometa trial.  Please send some positive thoughts, prayers my way--my oncologist nurse called late Friday afternoon to tell me my MRI indicated there is a lesion on my brain--total surprise to me--and that the onc is sending me to a neurosurgeon.  Hope to get info when I go for my infusion in the morning.  I understand now that MRIs frequently result in false positives, so that's what I'm hoping for.   Take care.  Helen

Dx 12/16/2008, IDC, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 3, 0/4 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2-

Jul 19, 2009 09:55PM lassie11 wrote:

Helen - wow - sounds as if you have more than enough on your plate! Taxol, the dentist and MRI results in one day? I sure hope that you are right that it is a false positive or some other thing that doesn't really matter. Best wishes.

From each according to ability; to each according to need.

Jul 19, 2009 10:05PM illinoislady wrote:

Prayers, healing hugs and lots of positive energy from

Jackie

Jul 19, 2009 10:19PM ritajean wrote:

Hugs Helen!  I'm praying for false results on the MRI.  Hang in there.  We love ya!

Dx 11/21/2006, IDC, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 3, 0/4 nodes, ER-/PR+, HER2-

Jul 19, 2009 11:29PM wwjd wrote:

hi 0929   I am 79 too, I have idc with lymph involvement and I'm on Arimidex.  I felt a lump last April.  You and I are the only ones who qualify as" older". Everyone else is in their 60's. I really enjoy this forum, just started last week. Wonderful group of women, all survivors.  Alberta

wwjd In God We Trust

Jul 20, 2009 12:16AM Alyson wrote:

I just hope that  I have the same attitude as wwjd when I am 79. Do wish I had as much energy now, maybe thats because I have the flu and all my get up and go has got up and gone. Have to feel better tomorrow.

Here we go again. Dx 12/19/2006, IDC, 3cm, Stage IIIC, Grade 2, 23/24 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 1/19/2007 Lymph node removal: Left, Underarm/Axillary; Mastectomy: Left Chemotherapy 2/23/2007 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Ellence (epirubicin), Fluorouracil (5-fluorouracil, 5-FU, Adrucil), Taxol (paclitaxel) Hormonal Therapy 8/10/2007 Femara (letrozole) Radiation Therapy 8/10/2007

Jul 20, 2009 09:47AM Lizzy90 wrote:

Hi Ladies,

I hope everyone is well and had a great weekend. The east coast had a splendid weekend and no humidity.

Been away doing research on radiation and its side effects.I have an appointment tommorow with the medical oncologist at Memorial Sloan Kettering in NYC about treatment following my lumpectomy and having clear margins and node negative disease I wonder if i should avoid radiation.I will also consult some other oncologist and would like an integrative oncologist as my oncotype test result are also due tuesday.

Did any of you at age 65 avoided radiation with 3mm idc and total of 8 mm dcis??? node negative ,er+ 90% pr+90% her2- Negative

does anyone taking a chance with hormonal treatment and nutrition alone??

Best wishes and as always thanks very much for your insights.

Lizzy

Dx IDC, <1cm, Stage I, Grade 3, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Page 161 of 4,144 (41,439 results)

Scroll to top button