Topic: Can we have a forum for "older" people with bc?

Forum: Older Than 60 Years Old With Breast Cancer — Meet other women who are similar in age and dealing with age-appropriate issues.

Posted on: Feb 7, 2009 06:29PM

Posted on: Feb 7, 2009 06:29PM

Northstar wrote:

I am an "older" woman with breast cancer (I was diagnosed at 65 and am now 66).  I notice that most of the posts seem to be from people younger than I am (often by quite a bit...).   I'd love to "talk" with others my age, exchange info about their diagnoses, effects on their lives, etc.   I see that there is a forum for young women.

Someone suggested that maybe it's that older people aren't so computer-savvy or aren't used to being in online discussion groups.   However, for those who are, it would be great. 

DX 8/15/08, ILC, 5.1 cm, Stage IIb, Grade 1, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-, Oncotype DX 11.

Page 163 of 4,171 (41,705 results)

Jul 20, 2009 11:10PM gillyone wrote:

Helen you are incredible. Thanks for all the help and advice you give us. Have a nice day tomorrow.

Dx 6/5/2009, IDC, 3cm, Stage IIIC, Grade 3, 9/15 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2-

Jul 21, 2009 10:50AM illinoislady wrote:

Double yes about Walter Cronkite.  I'll never forget his reporting so long ago when Pres. Kennedy was assassinated.  I think it was his reporting that turned me into a person who wanted to "keep" up with news afterward. And it would be wonderful Jo if someone could do the news.  I'm sure I'd find out about the rest of the "stuff " if I wanted to.  Feel the same way about telemarketers....if it is decent....and IF I ACTUALLY want it, you won't have to call me up.  I know someone gets to work if phone calls are made --- but we did end up with a do-not-call list which I promptly signed on to as did just about everybody I know.  Now if I get one.....it usually comes from someone I can barely understand....I just lay the phone down till I hear the dial tone start up.....what  can you do. 

Going out today to find a copy ( I think there may be more than one ) of The Biggest Loser cook-book.  I gained a bit back from my 40# loss from chemo when I started my Arimidex -- 10 or 11#'s....but I did manage to lose five of that ---  I have not been consistent in my eating patterns though....started to think I could likely adapt some of the "Loser" recipes into my South Beach as I think they might have an edge on how to get the most flavor out of some foods. 

Hope you all have a wondrous day.  I'll be checking back in later.

Jackie

Each day I am thankful for nights that turned into mornings, friends that turned into family, dreams that turned into reality and likes that turned into love. ~~~Elizabeth Kuebler-Ross Dx 9/27/2007, IDC, 5cm, Stage II, Grade 3, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2-

Jul 21, 2009 01:20PM MAGA922 wrote:

Good  Beautiful Florida (hot and humid) morning Ladies!  Just jumping in to say have a marvelous day to all! I am free from doctors this week!  Yippeee!   Next week have a PET - CT whole body scan with infusion.....what ever that is?  Sounds more exciting than a plain ole xray anyway.  I have been looking into the info on different kinds of chemo for BC... whoa, that's a can I shouldn't have opened just yet.... Don't find out about that plan til end of the month.  Meantime, I will just read your blogs and pray for each of you.  Hugs, Marie

Jul 21, 2009 03:08PM LRM216 wrote:

Glad to hear the news, Helen.  Keep us posted on what you fine out.  I am still hoping for you that they will just need to watch it - and that nothing develops out of the whole thing.

Linda

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to end, it's about learning to dance in the rain ... Age 62 at diagnose Dx 2/23/2009, IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IB, Grade 3, 0/1 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2-, Surgery 3/7/2009 Lumpectomy: Right Chemotherapy 4/25/2009 Adriamycin (doxorubicin), Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxol (paclitaxel), Taxotere (docetaxel) Radiation Therapy 10/21/2009 Breast

Jul 21, 2009 03:38PM ritajean wrote:

YEA HELEN!  There are advantages to being OLD, aren't there?  I'm so relieved and think it is wise to have the neuro guy check it out completely.  Breathe in...breathe out....and go right on with your day which should be a bit brighter.

Welcome to the new gals.

Marie...Several years ago my parents lived in Valrico.  They went to Florida as snow birds and settled in Ruskin first and then moved to Valrico where they stayed until my mother had her first heart attack.  Then they moved back to Illinois to be closer to family.  We took several Florida vacations to your fair city while they were down there and played several of the local golf courses.  It's a nice area!

So glad that you're feeling better, Jo.  You're due for a long healthy period now!  :-)

Hi to everybody else.  I need to get moving as I have a yoga class to go to in a bit and I still have things to get ready for dinner so we have something to eat when I get home.  Jackie, I try so hard with my diet and do so good for a spell and then I'm off it.  Part of that is the frustration of never losing anything even though I've really stuck with the diet plan.  (or maybe that is my current excuse!  LOL)

Catch you all later.

Rita

Dx 11/21/2006, IDC, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 3, 0/4 nodes, ER-/PR+, HER2-

Jul 21, 2009 09:58PM Motherof7 wrote:

Illinois Lady

Thanks for your input on my outburst, yes, i did feel bad that I lost control, and after the lady talked to the ranger, she did come back and apologize to me, and I also had to apologize, you are so right about people though, most don't care what they say or how they treat you. I am so ready for this job to be over with so I can come home, however, I did give my word, so it will be September 9, 2009, before I get to come home for good.

I hope and pray you have been doing great, may Jesus Christ bless you and keep you.

Dx 12/8/2008, 1cm, Stage I, 0/3 nodes, HER2+

Jul 21, 2009 10:10PM GramE wrote:

A quick hello and HUGS for all.   I took no pain pills today, but will before I go to sleep.   After my shower I removed the tegaderm and put just gauze and tape over the stitches where they took out the port.   It looks twice the size of when it was put in.  Oh well... at least it is out.   Sweet Dreams.

Jul 21, 2009 10:20PM Motherof7 wrote:

Hi Gramof3

Hope you are doing good, may Jesus bless and keep you. Thanks for your kind words. I have to go in the morning and have my liver and my breast tested, and they are going to do a complete bone scan, I'm just trusting in Jesus that all the test turn out good, they have already checked my heart and my lungs. I go to the Dr. on the 29th to find out the results.

I went tonight and watched three of my grandsons play ball, they lost the game, but my grandsons did a great job. I guess us grandmothers always think our grandchildren do a great job, but they all three caught a ball to put people out, and they all got hits, so I think they did a great job.

Well, I guess I'd better go to bed, I have to get up early.I can't have anything to eat after 12 midnight, so it will be hard in the morning cookin for my hubby, but he needs to eat and keep up his strength for me.

Dx 12/8/2008, 1cm, Stage I, 0/3 nodes, HER2+

Jul 21, 2009 10:38PM spar2 wrote:

Hi, all you goldie oldies.  I will miss Walter C too.  He was a wonderful reporter.

I had these rough growths all over my back so I went to the oncologists concerned about them and she said they are old age spots and nothing to worry about at all and I had not even thought of myself as old until she said that. LOL

Isn't it fun to watch the grandkids play ball, sometime I have a hard time making myself get there but then am always glad and have fun.

Motherof7, May the Lord be with you tomorrow and everything be normal.

Lefty, glad you got your port out, it is such a relief to not have something artificial in your body anymore.  Hope you heal fast.

Rita, I just realized Friday night there are advantages, we went to a buffet that had all you can eat crab legs and they told us there was a discount for senior citizens so we jumped on it. 

Hi, JO and everyone else, hope all has a good night.  My onc said no more arimidex after 5 years either and seem to be doing better off of it.

gentle hugs and prayers.  Sherry

www.spar2.multiply.com Lets help make each other's life better

Jul 22, 2009 01:28AM amE2 wrote:

Hi Ladies,

Well, I just finished my final paper for my class.  I just have the final profect to do and then I will be done.  LOL  Trouble is it is due the week I am in the OBX.  NOT GONNA HAPPEN.  I flatly refuse to work on a paper while I am there.  So that means I have to have it done by the time we leave, sigh.  I have two weeks to work on it.  Push, push, push, I get tired of it.

I don't have my next infusion untill I get back so no flu symptoms while I am gone.  I just have my next blood draw on the 28th, then I am going to put my mind on hold until we get back.  We leave in the next couple of weeks and get back a week later.  My wonderful friend Carol, (the nurse) is going to come and stay with and feed and play with my kitties. Thank heavens, they are sooo spoiled. My friend Millie is going to help her so at least I will have people in my house the week I am gone, that is helpful as there have been some robberies around us lately. LOL, They shouldn't try my house, I have less then they do. LOL

Guess what --- my insurance company called to let me know they have a consulting plan so that I can call and talk to a nurse about tests and proceedures etc., they will help manage my care, make sure I am not having cross contamination problems with drugs and --------- hmm, a nurse is gonna call me and tell me what else they offer and -- AND, I get to talk to or go to a nutritionist.  I am about 50 lbs over weight so I qualify.  Hehe, a nutritionist is one of the people I have wanted to talk to since I was Dx'd.  I am impressed with what they are doing, it's preventative medicine.  It's a good idea.  It's offered to people with ongoing health care problems.  Cool, unless of course one of you kind ladies has a warning message for me.  I am always willing ot listen to what you have to say.

Allyson I hope your better.  Marie, yes I am close to you.  Rita, Jackie, Jo, Helen etc, etc. hope everthing is well with y'all.  I am going to take a brain RandR for a couple of days.  I will post again in a few.

Hugs,Pam

Page 163 of 4,171 (41,705 results)

Scroll to top button