Topic: Can we have a forum for "older" people with bc?

Forum: Older Than 60 Years Old With Breast Cancer — Meet other women who are similar in age and dealing with age-appropriate issues.

Posted on: Feb 7, 2009 06:29PM

Posted on: Feb 7, 2009 06:29PM

Northstar wrote:

I am an "older" woman with breast cancer (I was diagnosed at 65 and am now 66).  I notice that most of the posts seem to be from people younger than I am (often by quite a bit...).   I'd love to "talk" with others my age, exchange info about their diagnoses, effects on their lives, etc.   I see that there is a forum for young women.

Someone suggested that maybe it's that older people aren't so computer-savvy or aren't used to being in online discussion groups.   However, for those who are, it would be great. 

DX 8/15/08, ILC, 5.1 cm, Stage IIb, Grade 1, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-, Oncotype DX 11.

Page 3 of 4,142 (41,419 results)

Feb 22, 2009 11:18PM GramE wrote:

Happy Birthday, Karol.  Welcome to everyone else.  Susan, old lady disease... my onco said since it took me 62 years to get this, I could live to 100.  AND, my mom is going to be 96 in April - she is a 47 year BC survivor, had bi lat mast back in 1962.   

I fear what will happen with Medicare once I reach 65. BTW, by the way, my last "amount due" was $ 18.60, for over $18 K worth of treatment.  

Have you all had surgeries?  I had lump and SNB in December, after 16 rounds of chemo.  Herceptin is every 3 weeks with my latest tx last Thursday.   HUGS,  Nancy 

Feb 23, 2009 07:08AM samedaynurseJan wrote:

Morning everyone and happy birthday to Carol......

So far no one has responded to me on the Illinois board about being HER2+ but last night was Oscar night so that could explain it......

I had a lumpectomy and SNB in Dec of 2008 also followed by Mammosite Radiation which turned out to be a blessing so that I could get back to work quicker, one week of being on a crazy and exhausting Merry Go Round but then it was over. I still have the Mammosite created cavity in my breast which takes quite sometime to heal and I wonder how that affects my first Mammogram which comes up in June.

My grandma also had bc.....and died at 96 of a blood clot to the lungs nothing about her bc ever came back.....I have a cousin who is a 15 year survivor and moving forward.....I figure at my age....if I can get a 30 year survival I will be one happy camper.

Taking my husband for a small surgery ( we gage them all as big or small :) today......have a happy Monday !

jan

A life lived in fear....is a life half lived. Dx 12/1/2008, IDC, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Feb 23, 2009 07:47AM kmccraw423 wrote:

Gosh, it is great to hear about women surviving until their nineties and beating breast cancer.  My grandmother had breast cancer when she was 40.  I don't remember much about it because I was a little kid but she died from a hospital infection 40 years later which had absolutely nothing to do with her breast cancer.

Mrscrj:  I loved your opening line.  If you don't mind, I am going to use it!

Kathleen Dx 10/3/2008, DCIS, 4cm, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Feb 23, 2009 09:31AM GramE wrote:

If you want to keep this thread in the Active Topics list,  just post "bump" and it will go up to the top of the list. OR you can check the box  and add to your favorites.   When you log on, it will appear in your favorite topics.   

Feb 23, 2009 10:13AM klp wrote:

I don't remember getting hot flashes where I was really bothered by them even when I went thru natural menopause at age 50...

Lumpectomy,SNB, 33 rads Oncotype DX 5...no chemo!!!! Started Tamoxifen and stopped almost 3 years later.. Dx 10/10/2008, IDC, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 2, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Feb 23, 2009 10:31AM klp wrote:

No Jo my onco wanted me to take Arimidex but because of expense we went for Tamoxifen instead. I can't imagine now getting hot flashes more than 20 years past natural menopause.

Lumpectomy,SNB, 33 rads Oncotype DX 5...no chemo!!!! Started Tamoxifen and stopped almost 3 years later.. Dx 10/10/2008, IDC, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 2, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Feb 23, 2009 10:33AM GramE wrote:

No hot flashes here in  a LONG time - maybe  10 years ago.   I did not have Arimidex.  I like the term "seasoned", gonna use it instead of "senior citizen".   

Feb 23, 2009 11:11AM PaulaLS wrote:

Glad I found this thread.  I was almost 62 when diagnosed, and have believed I have different issues than younger women who are diagnosed with BC. I was diagnosed 12/12/08. After getting a second opinion I had a mast 2/11/09 with SNB and immediate reconstruction with silicone implant and alloderm sling.  I am healing slowly, feel pretty good, am looking forward to getting my second and last drain removed tomorrow, and wondering when I will be able to return to work.  I feel like I gotta keep working due to insurance coverage (I am so glad I have it) but would love to retire.  My husband has been wonderful, supportive and caring throughout.  I know I am very blessed, but still occasionally whine.  Are there any "older" ladies out there with similar experiences?

Paula Dx 11/11/2009, IDC, <1cm, Stage I, Grade 1, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Feb 23, 2009 12:18PM samedaynurseJan wrote:

This is so very good.......I feel so in touch with each of you !

Paula, you and I had our surgeries on the same day.....12/12/08....wondering why they suggested a mastectomy for you....location ? and JO how comes they did a full axillary node dissection ? You know, we try not to second guess ourselves , and I was very confident in all my decisions but you do wonder what formed other peoples decisions.....

I too would love to retire and play with my three little grandsons more but the health insurance is like a huge neon sign in my head flashing 24/7

My husband has been amazing throughout all of this.....totally my rock maybe our *seasoned* marriages have a hand in making that happen .....he changed disgusting dressings and cried with me and for me and really never left my side throughout the worst parts of this journey. Now that the worst is over things are more *normal* whatever that means, but we have a new closeness that will never change. He and I went to High school together......

I am on Arimidex and so far am experiencing NO side effects at all....I didnt have many hot flashes when I went through menopause, in my line of work, I meet a lot of women my age who are on Arimidex and most of us who are post menopause seem to have more of the joint and bone pain than the hot flashes....Im prepared for that and Im religiously taking the supplements that were suggested to me by my Drs.

A good friend of ours just lost his wife to her bc.....but the fight and the story are good....she was diagnosed in 1977 had her mastectomy and her chemo and her rads and had no reoccurence whatsoever for 26 years....her reoccurence was treated successfully for another 5 years and that all started back in the days when there was one surgery and one chemo and everyone got it no matter what. I believe we live in the age of good things......and this thread, will be a very good thing :) DH did well with his surgery this AM......back to work for me tomorrow

jan

A life lived in fear....is a life half lived. Dx 12/1/2008, IDC, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Feb 23, 2009 12:51PM moderators wrote:

Hello All, 

I like the idea of having a forum for "older" people, however, I am concerned about setting this up for a number of reasons:

1. many people on the boards are "older". That is, how to define "older"?

2. We have soooo many forums as it is, that we aren't too keen on the idea of adding to the long menu.

3. We want people to find others who are in a similar situation (breast cancer diagnosis, age, background, where they live), but worry about having simply too many categories.

Your ideas/feedback are welcome.

Thanks, 

Melissa

To send a PM to the Mods: community.breastcancer.org/my/...

Page 3 of 4,142 (41,419 results)

Scroll to top button