Join Us

We are 218,138 members in 84 forums discussing 160,917 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: Can we have a forum for "older" people with bc?

Forum: Older Than 60 Years Old With Breast Cancer —

Meet other women who are similar in age and dealing with age-appropriate issues.

Posted on: Feb 7, 2009 06:29PM

Northstar wrote:

I am an "older" woman with breast cancer (I was diagnosed at 65 and am now 66).  I notice that most of the posts seem to be from people younger than I am (often by quite a bit...).   I'd love to "talk" with others my age, exchange info about their diagnoses, effects on their lives, etc.   I see that there is a forum for young women.

Someone suggested that maybe it's that older people aren't so computer-savvy or aren't used to being in online discussion groups.   However, for those who are, it would be great. 

DX 8/15/08, ILC, 5.1 cm, Stage IIb, Grade 1, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-, Oncotype DX 11.

Page 3 of 1,260 (37,798 results)

Posts 61 - 90 (37,798 total)

Feb 23, 2009 10:35PM Armadillo wrote:

I was 60 yo when i received my br ca dx caught by yearly mammo; no family history.  The older we are the greater the risk.  Try this chat room; lots of older ladies here.

Feb 23, 2009 10:45PM JO-5 wrote:

Veteran Warrior Women -- I like that mzmiller99!

Jan,

About the dietary changes -- just try to eat more veggies/fruit and low fat. I gained 12 pounds soon after starting Arimidex and can't lose it. Just before dx. I did the Atkins diet and lost 18 pounds. Can't do Atkins again - it makes me sick! I lose 5 lbs / gain 3/ lose 2 / gain 4 and on it goes!  I take calcium w/ D. and fish oil. Multi Vits. make me sick and I've tried them all.

I had a normal bone density a yr. before dx. After being on Arimidex for 1 year the Dr. said it was one of the best he had seen in a long time. I am due another one next month to see how my bones are ---- before I begin taking Arimidex longer.

My Dr. thinks taking Arimidex is a good idea for those of us who had a highly ER/PR positive tumor. He says longer use of Arimidex has not proven to be a problem. He said there are problems with taking Tamox. longer than five years and that is why a lot of ladies switch to Arimidex after Tamox.

klp,

When I first complained about the SE's of Arimidex my Dr. didn't have a problem if I wanted to switch to Tamox.  I had done a little research and learned that some women on Tamox had more issues w/ heart and possible strokes, and eye problems. He agreed, so I have learned to treat the SE's and put up with them. I still think the side effects are easier to treat than cancer. I also know ladies that have no SE's w/ Tamox.

anomdemet,

I have cold flashes and Dr. says my thyroid is fine.

Bonnie,

Hello again --- good to see you here! and --- yes to the LE but a mild case according to the therapist that I finally got to see. The breast LE is the worst and harder to treat. I wear a vest most days and do the drainage, of course ---- I have an unusual problem w/ my breast as you might remember.

Got to get off here and go to bed! Still don't sleep well and refuse to take sleeping pills ----- .

Way to go, ladies --- keep this going!

God bless us all!

JO

IDC 04 Stage 1 Grd 3 no nodes Lumpectomy rads plus boosts ER+PR+HER- AI 5 yr 2014 secondary angiosarcoma from rads lumpectomy recurrence 1 yr Mastectomy with lat flap 1/2 flap went necrotic skin graft to center of chest.

Feb 24, 2009 02:21AM gymgirl wrote:

Hot flashes? Oh my! I'm 58 and have been in menopause 4-1/2 years. I started flashing 2 years before that. And now I'm on Arimidex and still flashing. Day & night, like clockwork. Today was especially bad. I think our office manager had the heater turned up. I have an active job so I just kept going for walks outside in the rain to cool off. I sure don't like to think of myslef as old, but compared to some of the other women posting we have "more life experience."

BLM 8/07, silicone implants 12/07, 3-1/2 yrs on Arimidex, BRCA2+ Dx 4/20/2007, ILC, 2cm, Stage IB, Grade 1, 0/5 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2-

Feb 24, 2009 08:19AM JO-5 wrote:

Linda,

I was so tired when I posted last night that I didn't answer your post but thought I would tell you now that I do have the high cholesterol and bp. My cholesterol was a little high before dx but I was able to control it w/ diet. I take meds for bp but not cholesterol. (reason being that in 86 I had liver damage from a pain med. -- off the market now -- and since cholesterol is known to sometimes harm the liver I am really afraid of it.) My ratio is really good - so the Dr. is letting me try to get it down --- I lost 5 pounds but have gained it all back but 1.

Do any of the rest of you have problems w/ weight and cholesterol?

swimangel,

So sorry about the MRSA. That scares me, too. I have a cousin in rehab right now with MRSA from hip replacement surgery. Noyone is allowed in her room without a mask and gown! Since I seem to get everything - she has said that I should not come - so I don't. We talk on the phone. I wish you well ---- and let us know how you are coming along with your surgeries and treatments. I'm not sure where you are - but here in Ohio our hospital is very careful about the MRSA and Staph.

Sierra,

I am married (wonderful man!) We have three daughters (grown and married) 6 grandchildren and as of Saturday 8 great grandchildren. New baby boy 7 lbs / 20 inches.

JO

IDC 04 Stage 1 Grd 3 no nodes Lumpectomy rads plus boosts ER+PR+HER- AI 5 yr 2014 secondary angiosarcoma from rads lumpectomy recurrence 1 yr Mastectomy with lat flap 1/2 flap went necrotic skin graft to center of chest.

Feb 24, 2009 08:39AM kmccraw423 wrote:

Good morning ladies!  This is such a great thread.  I went through natural menopause at 49 years old.  I did NOT experience hot flashes, night sweats or mood swings (other than the ones I have had all my life).  When I would complain about how hot it was people thought those were hot flashes and I would respond "then I have been going through menopause since I was a little kid!"  I remember as a small child that I couldn't wait to get out of sight of the house so I could take off the sweater my folks made me put on.

I think this site is great because we do have a lot of experience to fall back on - maybe not with breast cancer but with life.  I, too, welcome all who want to participate!

It must be terrible to be young and especially with young children and face this beast.  As we age, and I am 62, we have probably already faced our own mortality.  I know I did in 2004 and, incidentally, I didn't like it.  Perhaps we can offer some perspective or support (which is what this whole site is about).

There are so many really strong women on here.  It is humbling.

Have a really great day or at least one without pain.  Hugs to all.

Kathleen Dx 10/3/2008, DCIS, 4cm, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Feb 24, 2009 10:19AM - edited Feb 24, 2009 10:23AM by klp

Jo

I have high cholesterol and high b/p...I am controlling the cholesterol with a natural product. I was on a statin for awhile but discontinued due to possible SEs. I was also controlling my b/p with a natural product until I started radiation. The rad doc wanted me to discontinue because they weren't sure if they would interfere with the txs. As of now I'm taking a b/p prescription..I think Tamoxifen raises b/p so I'll probably continue with the b/p prescription rather than going for the natural one again. While discussing Tamoxifen with my onco she said the chances of a blood clot or stroke was about 1% so I'll take my chances. I gained about 5 lbs. that I intend to take off soon. Have to increase my exercise and cut down on my calories..easier said than done.

BTW Jo..Congratulations on your new addition!!! 

Hugs to you, Sharon

I have 2 girls and 1 boy, 5 grandchildren and 2 gr-grandchildren...one grandson is in the Army and another in the AF..I live alone with my dog and cat. 

Looks like there are quite a lot of interested "older women" coming here...

Lumpectomy,SNB, 33 rads Oncotype DX 5...no chemo!!!! Started Tamoxifen and stopped almost 3 years later.. Dx 10/10/2008, IDC, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 2, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Feb 24, 2009 10:36AM JO-5 wrote:

klp,

I would be interested in knowing what the natural product is for your cholestrol. I take fish oil pills that is supposed to help and have no se's with that.

JO

Feb 24, 2009 10:55AM klp wrote:

Jo,

It is called Cholesterol Complete and I order it online at Seniorhealth.com...I also take fish oil. How much do you take?

Lumpectomy,SNB, 33 rads Oncotype DX 5...no chemo!!!! Started Tamoxifen and stopped almost 3 years later.. Dx 10/10/2008, IDC, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 2, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Feb 24, 2009 11:27AM - edited Feb 24, 2009 11:36AM by JO-5

klp,

Does Cholesterol Complete have any warnings about the liver and/or joint pain? What are the main ings?

I take Fisol from Nature's Way. It is 500 mg w/ 250 mg Omega-3/ 150 mg EPA/ and 100 mg DHA and I take one w/ bk -lunch and dinner.(three a day).  It is the only one I've found that does not taste afterwards and don't burp it up!  I get it at a Health Food Store.

Madalyn,

Since my bone density test was so good after one year they said I would not need another for 5 years -- however my GYN thinks it would be a good idea to check and see what it is --- before I start taking Arimidex for another 2 years. I see my Dr. March 6th and if he doesn't want to order it my GYN will. I think after this long I should have it checked. Better safe than sorry.

I have decided if the bones are good that I will continue on the Arimidex. WHY? Because I am afraid not to. This ole' gal has a lot of living to do yet...... Shoot! I haven't even seen that new great grand yet!  LOL

JO

Feb 24, 2009 11:41AM klp wrote:

Jo,

The main ingredient is policosanol which blocks the absorption of cholesterol. There are no side effects.

The fish oil I take is from Puritan Pride..I only take 1000 mg(1 capsule)/day..enteric coated, no fishy taste

Feb 24, 2009 11:45AM JO-5 wrote:

klp,

Thanks for the info..... I am going to look that up and read up on it!

JO

Feb 24, 2009 11:48AM klp wrote:

You're welcome, Jo....one of my daughter's is named Josephine and I call her Jo. I can PM you the link to the site if you want.

Feb 24, 2009 12:14PM - edited Feb 24, 2009 12:18PM by JO-5

klp,

Well shoot! I typed this long answer and lost it. (Maybe I'm not supposed to say this! LOL)

Okay -- I will -----

I found the site and the ings. It contains Niacin and Soy. Niacin can cause Liver damage if you take it and don't need it, although the amount in the Cholesterol Complete is not a lot.

My Dr. told me to avoid as much Soy as possible. I don't obsess about it because it is in everything! (I am aware that a lot of ladies do not agree with that)

I googled policosanol and it is made from sugarcane in Cuba and the 80+ double blind study was done by the owners of the manuf. plant.

It is made from beeswax and wheatgerm in the USA.

The AMA says there is no proof that it lowers cholesterol but does say it has very few side effects, with one of them being weight loss! (That would be enough for me to try it --- if not for the Niacin and Soy).

Thanks klp --- and I really hope this is working for you.

As time goes on with this thread you will learn that I am very afraid of a lot of meds and supplements......... because of extreme allergies to almost all meds. The list is as long as my arm and the Drs. all call me the allergy queen.

Thanks again.

Old fraidy cat --- signing off now ---- Got to get busy and earn my keep around here!  Laughing Wink

JO

Feb 24, 2009 12:39PM klp wrote:

Well Jo you sure know a heck of a lot more about the ingredients then I do...I know niacin helps to lower cholesterol. I had asked my rad onco what he thought about soy in foods. He said the jury is still out on that so he didn't think anything was wrong with a little soy. I do believe the AMA and drug companies would prefer to keep us on prescription meds rather than safe, more natural products IMO.

I can't blame you for being super careful with different ingredients, products. My only allergies are to penicillin and sulfa...

Feb 24, 2009 12:51PM Motherof7 wrote:

Hi,

I am 65 and was diagnosed in December, 2008 with Stage 1 breast cancer. I have gone through my  radiation, and so far it's been o.k. I tried to walk every day after my treatments, however, I have had the flu for the last seven days, I am some better, but it's cold outside so I will try and walk tomorrow it's suppose to warm up. I am also getting Herceptin every three weeks. I will be given 10 doses of that, the first one was rough, but the last two were not so bad. Now, I am suppose to start taking Arimidex which is going to make my bones weak. I already have osteoporosis, just can't imagine why I was put on this since they already knew about my bones. My hormonone receptors were positive, so I guess that's why. I just have to leave it all in the Lord's hands that's all I can do. Hope you are feeling o.k. Hope this helped you in some way.

Dx 12/8/2008, 1cm, Stage I, 0/3 nodes, HER2+

Feb 24, 2009 01:00PM PaulaLS wrote:

Hey Jan,  Keep in mind my photo is a very small one so you can't see all the wrinkles and hair color is wonderful.  I admire you working in the recovery room - that's a very important job.  Guess we are both reluctantly becoming BC experts.   MRSA is frequent in the schools now.   It's definitely out there - everywhere.

Saw the PS today.  Had my last drain removed. YEA!   I continue to have some healing problems - a little epidermolysis problably due to the fact I used to be a smoker, my age, and the skin sparing mast with immediate implant.  PS assures me it will heal - just slow.  Just gotta keep any infection away!

I enjoy this thread and love the ladies on it.

Paula Dx 11/11/2009, IDC, <1cm, Stage I, Grade 1, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Feb 24, 2009 01:02PM klp wrote:

Hi there Motherof7..welcome aboard

Exercise does help get you thru txs...I walked everyday after each rad tx..I think it helps prevent fatigue. Has your onco prescribed anything to help prevent bone loss? Do you take a calcium and Vit. D supplement?

Feb 24, 2009 01:03PM - edited Feb 24, 2009 01:04PM by PaulaLS

This Post was deleted by PaulaLS.

Feb 24, 2009 01:05PM PaulaLS wrote:

Mother of 7 - You are in the best hands!

Feb 24, 2009 01:26PM - edited Feb 24, 2009 02:01PM by Binney4

Ooh, Madalyn, belly fat cells!

I can identify! Frown Sooo depressing, and every pound I gain goes right there. In fact, even if I don't gain, every fat cell in my body seems to be doing a mass migration to the belly. It's a regular stampede!

Anybody have any suggestion for exercises that target this problem without causing back problems?Undecided

As for Dexa scans, my gyn orders them every two years because of the past AI treatment. Also discovered a few years ago my vitamin D levels were low. Supplements have helped, but not as much as 10 minutes a day of sun exposure. (Harder than you'd think here in Arizona where the sun shines almost every day -- we have months of triple digit temperatures when sitting for 10 minutes in the sun is torture!Tongue out)

Sierra, it's so good to hear from you. In answer to your question, I have a wonderful husband and we have nine kids (mostly adopted), two of them at home always due to disabilities (they're the joy of my life--couldn't have made it through all this without them!) We have 11 grandkids, but our family is scattered all over -- Alaska, Tennessee, D.C., etc.

Gosh, hanging out with you guys makes me proud to be the possessor of so much "life experience!"Kiss
Binney

Feb 24, 2009 03:51PM mzmiller99 wrote:

Binney -

Ahh, that's what we have...life experience.  I don't know what this has to do with anything, but I have to share...we were making pancakes today in my kindergarten class to celebrate the 100th Day of school. 

I donned my "teacher" apron, a brightly colored butcher-style, when one of my little kiddos pipes up, "Mrs. Miller, I like your bathing suit!"  ????

Talk about a generation gap!!!

Susan IMRT 09/08, Oncotype DX 15, Aromasin 03/09 Dx 6/16/2008, IDC, <1cm, Stage I, Grade 3, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Feb 24, 2009 03:57PM Marple wrote:

I'm 53, I assume I qualify?  Was post meno before my dx at age 50.  And ladies, it looks like this IS the forum for us post meno gals. 

Mzm, what a gem your Mom is.

Dx 2006, IDC, Stage IIB, Grade 2, 1/14 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Feb 24, 2009 03:59PM klp wrote:

Sharon you fit right in!!!!

Feb 24, 2009 04:02PM Marple wrote:

Hahaha, thx klp, hot flashes, belly fat, arimidex and all.

Hugs.

Dx 2006, IDC, Stage IIB, Grade 2, 1/14 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Feb 24, 2009 04:28PM - edited Feb 24, 2009 04:29PM by Snowbird

Wow, what a great thread! Northstar, thanks for starting it! I agree that it's nice to have somewhere for us PMs (post menopausals) to congregate. I was 60 when diagnosed, and still am! I'm scheduled for my very LAST (yahoo!!!) T/C treatment next Monday, and will start watching for cranial sproutage next Tuesday. Then, I'm expecting to be put on Arimidex for "at least" 5 years. Meanwhile, I'm really glad to have found this thread. I hope it'll become it's own "place" for us.

DX 10/15/2008, ILC, 2cm, Stage IIa, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- OncotypDX=26(17%) BiLat DIEP (1-delayed, 1-immediate) 12/8/09, Stage 2 10/22/10 w/Craigie/Charleston COURAGE IS NOT THE ABSENCE OF FEAR, IT'S ACTING IN SPITE OF IT!

Feb 24, 2009 05:34PM mzmiller99 wrote:

Snowbird - Braaaa Haaaa!!  Cranial sproutage!!!  And, woo hoo for being one treatment away!!

Hmmmm, what to call us?  Post-mens?  Sounds like something my kinders would say!

Susan IMRT 09/08, Oncotype DX 15, Aromasin 03/09 Dx 6/16/2008, IDC, <1cm, Stage I, Grade 3, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Feb 24, 2009 06:01PM klp wrote:

Too funny snowbird...

Sharon you more than fit in!!!!!WinkLaughing 

Feb 24, 2009 07:27PM samedaynurseJan wrote:

*laughing* you guys are GREAT !!!! I too was going to thank NorthStar.....and where has she gone too ? Im still giggling bout cranial sproutage.....great news for the end of treatment Snowbird....are you a Snowbird from somewhere up north ???? What was your criteria for needing chemo.....the ILC or the size ? There are some things I still dont quite get.....

I am seriously smiling all the way through *our* community thread...between weight gain and cholesterol and Arimidex do-si-dos we are one amazing and funny group.....and all of our *seasoning* seems to really help keep our outlook and attitude light.....speaking of which....Im still so new on this journey.....how do all of you handle *test and Dr visit times* I had my last test a couple of weeks ago, my bone scan which was negative, and I feel like I have huge weights lifted off for at least a time, but come March its oncologist visit and June its first mammo.....I hated that horrible fear that was a part of my every moment all of Dec and January.....I have been told time and again things should be very good for a long and healthy future but somedays I believe it better than others.....thoughts ?

I have struggled for almost 10 years to lose 80 pounds and then the high point of my bc was the additional 18# that I lost.....now a good deal of that is creeping back with no terror to take away my appetite....but I am still down nearly 95# and I SO dont want to give any of that back thanks to Arimidex. Im a big fan of South Beach......I too control cholesterol on my own and have a very good ratio but I wonder if next year I too will have to consider statins.....I did a little research and found that the purest and best supplements are sold at GNC.....I dont know if any of you have GNC nearby, they have one great supplement that combines the perfect dose of Ca, and Mg and Vit D.....they also have the purest triple strength fish oil you can buy, and they DO have sales fairly often. I check your posts on all that carefully JO cause you have really done your homework.....

Paula, I still think your pic rocks ! I did 26 years of Pediatrics and then when kids were hospitalized less I moved into the area of same day surgery and recovery room cause it seemed to be a growing field.....now I have to just hope I can stick with it til the Medicare comes into play...ridiculous thing to have to worry about eh ?

My husband and I are married 39 years in June but we shared a locker together in High School so we go WAYYYYY back, we have one married son and three delightful *busy* little grandsons that are huge lights in our life ! We moved closer to them after my husbands accident and are so happy we did....Im still going back over the posts from today and thinking what wonderful women have stepped up to cheer on the *seasoned citizens group*

Love to each of you.....

jan

A life lived in fear....is a life half lived. Dx 12/1/2008, IDC, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Feb 24, 2009 07:49PM PaulaLS wrote:

Guess we are all working until Medicare kicks in.  I had hoped to retire this year at age 62.  I would be able to keep my insurance but would have to pay for it - around $500.00/month.  Really not too bad but with the economy and all - it may not come to be.

Congratulations on your weight loss, Jan!  I haven't lost a single pound through this breast cancer thing and would love to lose 40.  My husband's grandmother used to tell me you need some extra weight when you get older in case you get sick.  She died at 103 - maybe she was on to something.

This is a second marriage for my husband and me - 27 years.  We have 7 children between us, 16 grandchildren and one great-granddaughter.

I enjoy all the posts on this thread.  Thanks Northstar!

Feb 24, 2009 08:03PM - edited Feb 25, 2009 06:46PM by JO-5

Hello Ladies!

I really did log off and get some things done - not much - but did cook a good low-fat w/lots of veggies supper!  LOL

I just had to come here and take a look before going to bed! 

Jan, I still, after almost 5 years have the heebie jeepbies whenever I go for my mammogram, etc. I had my 5 yr. one last Friday. Every time the phone rings I check the caller ID to see if it is the Imaging Center!  This was a screening (not diagnostic) so I have to wait for results. If they find anything I will get a call back - otherwise I will find out at my appt. March 6th. I don't think we ever get over that. Most times BC is on the back burners and not thought of 24/7 -- but it doesn't take much to bring it forward!

I am a reader and before I had the Internet I would read everything I could get my hands on about any medical problem, now it is much easier to find what I need to know...... and let me tell you, dear hearts, I've learned more about breast cancer than I ever WANTED TO KNOW!  LOL

btw -- I'm a member of the belly fat group, too and when I got married I had a 21 inch waist line - almost as small as Scarlett O'Hara! 

I think most of the posts on this thread have a lot of good old humor in them along with the advice and help ----- and that is a good thing. Through the years we have learned  to smile through the tears!

Eventually, I look forward to learning everyone's stories!  I bet there are some good ones here!

I see a new "member" almost every time I log on and YOU ARE ALL WELCOME - WE NEED YOUR THOUGHTS AND KNOWLEDGE.

God bless and Good night!

JO

Page 3 of 1,260 (37,798 results)