Topic: Can we have a forum for "older" people with bc?

Forum: Older Than 60 Years Old With Breast Cancer — Meet other women who are similar in age and dealing with age-appropriate issues.

Posted on: Feb 7, 2009 05:29PM

Posted on: Feb 7, 2009 05:29PM

Northstar wrote:

I am an "older" woman with breast cancer (I was diagnosed at 65 and am now 66).  I notice that most of the posts seem to be from people younger than I am (often by quite a bit...).   I'd love to "talk" with others my age, exchange info about their diagnoses, effects on their lives, etc.   I see that there is a forum for young women.

Someone suggested that maybe it's that older people aren't so computer-savvy or aren't used to being in online discussion groups.   However, for those who are, it would be great. 

DX 8/15/08, ILC, 5.1 cm, Stage IIb, Grade 1, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-, Oncotype DX 11.

Page 4 of 4,142 (41,419 results)

Feb 23, 2009 01:02PM samedaynurseJan wrote:

I think......that the response to this thread in a mere 24 hour period shows there is a definite need and want for a forum of this nature and there are more than just a few interested, and I feel even more will join in as it becomes more well known. As far as what the *age* limit for old should be.....anyone who wants to consider themself *old* or interested in the things we are discussing certainly can.....I tried looking through the other forums to see if one or another isnt used but all have some following and therefore are important to someone.....I hope the Administrators will give this one some thought and come up with an idea that makes everyone happy, even if it means we just have to continue on this thread

jan

A life lived in fear....is a life half lived. Dx 12/1/2008, IDC, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Feb 23, 2009 03:20PM samedaynurseJan wrote:

Thanks for the explanation Jo.....it all made a great deal of sense , when I had my surgery, my surgeon told me that if my sentinel *nodes* showed any carcinoma of any kind that she would proceed with a complete axillary dissection right then and there and that it would add another hour to my surgery.....as it was my family waited 45minutes for the sentinel reports to be finalized.....I too had a good sized area of tissue removed in hoping for clean margins first time around and also got them, you also need a certain sized cavity for the Mammosite insertion to be *good* I would think the amount of fluid you had collect post op did have something to do with that number of nodes.

How long I can take Arimidex is on the top of my list of questions when I see the Oncologist next month....I am 98% Estrogen positive and I would like to continue on it for as long as its safe and for as long as it works, although I say that now while I am SE free , I do however know people who have sailed through 3-4 years already with minimal SE and Im hoping that will be me. Have you made any dietary changes or eliminations in an effort to reduce and estrogen increase ??? Do you do specific supplements ?

Its all this big circle of events that you have to try to stay in control of but sometimes you wonder....get well....fight every day to stay well....sooooooooo that you can work and keep your health insurance and not find the whole thing so stressful that it ultimately affects your health again *whew*

I didnt even know that people were allowed to stay on Arimidex beyond 5 years.....thats very interesting to me.....

I dont usually have this kind of time to devote to posting.....but Im enjoying it today :)

jan

A life lived in fear....is a life half lived. Dx 12/1/2008, IDC, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Feb 23, 2009 03:31PM klp wrote:

My BS said similar...if any nodes turned out positve then the surgery would be more involved and take longer. Also would need drains. Thank heavens for me that wasn't the case. She removed 2 nodes, both negative along with tumor and clean margins. I consider myself very fortunate. Surgery was easy and I healed quick. And the breast looks the same as the other one..scar underneath that you can't notice. SNB scar is also very faint now.

Is Arimidex now the gold standard for post menopausal women? My onco didn't have a concern prescribing Tamoxifen for me when I mentioned the expense of Arimidex. It really wasn't the fact I couldn't afford the drug but concerned mainly with the SE that went along with it. My bones are good so far and would like them to remain that way. 

Lumpectomy,SNB, 33 rads Oncotype DX 5...no chemo!!!! Started Tamoxifen and stopped almost 3 years later.. Dx 10/10/2008, IDC, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 2, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Feb 23, 2009 03:47PM kmccraw423 wrote:

Bump

Kathleen Dx 10/3/2008, DCIS, 4cm, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Feb 23, 2009 04:42PM PaulaLS wrote:

Hi Ladies, Thanks for the replies.  I still have one drain but it should be removed tomorrow.   I know I will feel much better getting that out.   Jo, thank you for the nice words about the photo.  I was showing off my Steelers scrub top (whoops - I see you are from OH - a Brown's fan maybe?)  Samedaynurse - are you a nurse?  I am a school nurse but admittedly not a very bright RN when it comes to breast cancer.  I chose the mastectomy route due to having one area of IDC and a second area indicating atypical LH.  I would have had to have two lumpectomies (with questionable cosmetic results) for those areas so chose the mast (2/11/09) hoping to avoid the rads also.

It is good to hear that others have supportive husbands.  Mine is cooking dinner now.  I am getting quite spoiled.  I am sure thankful for him! 

Paula Dx 11/11/2009, IDC, <1cm, Stage I, Grade 1, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Feb 23, 2009 04:45PM crazy4carrots wrote:

Jo and Jan:  I agree completely!  We post-meno ladies do have some different concerns, chief among them (I think) would be what the lack of estrogen is doing to us, now and in the long run.  Osteoporosis, high cholesterol, bp and diabetes concerns for example.  I sure don't want bc to return, but I also worry about the long-term effects of AI's; my onc says that, for  the forseeable future, I should remain on Femara. I do want to hear what the rest of you are doing, and how you're handling everything.

Let's either keep this thread going, or else start a new forum for Post-Menopausal BC.

Cheers,

Linda

The demagogue preaches doctrine he knows to be untrue to men he knows to be idiots. Dx 1/10/2008, ILC, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 3, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2-

Feb 23, 2009 04:59PM mikita5 wrote:

...if any nodes turned out positive then the surgery would be more involved and take longer. Also would need drains.  When having a mammo, do you only get drains if the nodes are positive??
If God leads you TO it, he'll lead you THRU it! Dx 1/2/2008, DCIS, 1cm, Stage 0, Grade 3, 0/1 nodes, ER+

Feb 23, 2009 05:14PM anondenet wrote:

I had cold flashes. I don't know if that was post meno stuff or low thyroid.

My grandmother was diagnosed at 70 and would not let them operate. She had a boyfriend and didn't want to lose a breast for him. So she did nothing. Refusing treatment may have been more common in her generation when mastectomies were automatic.

In later years, I visited her in the nursing home where she developed dementia and died of a stroke at 86. We can only guess that the the tumor was slow-growing or no growing. I don't know if us older ones are less likely to have aggressive disease.

Don't want to be defined by my stats-- this would be medical hexing.

Feb 23, 2009 05:30PM GramE wrote:

Melissa and Moderators, as you can see, I have made many posts on many threads, but THIS one is at the top of my "concerns" -- age or "older" person things.   I was a host on a grief recovery website and we had 3 distinct groups for widows - Over age 50, Under age 50, and general widowed.   

It may not be necessary to set a specific age for "older" and no one is going to ask for ID if a person appears to be "young".   There are those who may have a mother, aunt, grandma, or wife who falls into the older group.    

I had a very interesting conversation recently with a woman in her 30's.   She said her life expectancy is 40 + years, where mine is 20+ years.   Kind of puts thing into perspective when one plans for the future.   Just a few thoughts on making this a separate topic.

Nancy 

Feb 23, 2009 05:32PM mzmiller99 wrote:

I so agree about the many other forums!  I bet we'll have a plethora of seasoned women joining us. 

I'm looking thru the forums wondering if there are any young, single, African-American, gay men, with LCIS, who have just had surgery and are waiting for results.  WinkHmmm, guess I'll just say good night!

Susan IMRT 09/08, Oncotype DX 15, Aromasin 03/09 Dx 6/16/2008, IDC, <1cm, Stage I, Grade 3, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Page 4 of 4,142 (41,419 results)

Scroll to top button