Topic: Can we have a forum for "older" people with bc?

Forum: Older Than 60 Years Old With Breast Cancer — Meet other women who are similar in age and dealing with age-appropriate issues.

Posted on: Feb 7, 2009 07:29PM

Posted on: Feb 7, 2009 07:29PM

Northstar wrote:

I am an "older" woman with breast cancer (I was diagnosed at 65 and am now 66).  I notice that most of the posts seem to be from people younger than I am (often by quite a bit...).   I'd love to "talk" with others my age, exchange info about their diagnoses, effects on their lives, etc.   I see that there is a forum for young women.

Someone suggested that maybe it's that older people aren't so computer-savvy or aren't used to being in online discussion groups.   However, for those who are, it would be great. 

DX 8/15/08, ILC, 5.1 cm, Stage IIb, Grade 1, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-, Oncotype DX 11.

Page 4111 of 4,144 (41,438 results)

May 20, 2022 05:02PM - edited May 20, 2022 05:07PM by chisandy

We could cancel the return flight (for a credit from Porter) and rent a car, drive to the border crossing at Windsor (same length of drive from Toronto as Buffalo) and then fly home from Detroit. Detroit-Chi is a much shorter flight (about an hour) than from Buffalo.We've flown out of Detroit as the last leg of travel from our 2015 Mediterranean cruise (Barcelona to Amsterdam to Detroit to Chicago) on Delta. I asked Bob and he said to roll the dice on testing at Billy Bishop the day we are to fly home (or even that Sunday in downtown Toronto); I asked what if we test positive, and he said there are worse things than being holed up for 5 days in a luxury hotel getting room service (especially from their 4-diamond Chinese restaurant), watching TV and reading--which for him is an ideal vacation, like the one we took to a condo in the Berkshires. Having had COVID in January and staying home for 5 days made him less afraid to have to adjust his work schedule.

The only fly in the ointment with the drive-cross border-fly home domestically plan would be if to pacify the GQPers, Biden imposed a testing requirement at our southern border--in which case the requirement would be extended to ALL overland and water ports of entry.

We and the kids will rapid-test next Thurs. (they leave for Spain the same day we leave for Toronto, but from different airports). They were turned down for second boosters because of their age and the fact that it's been less than 5 months since their first boosters. I think that's unfair: he has asthma and she is obese, so they're both vulnerable to more serious infection (and also too young to qualify for antivirals). There is still the possibility that if they test positive before flying home from Madrid, they'd be stuck in Spain for a week. She speaks Spanish (grew up in Texas) but his only foreign language is French.

Diagnosed at 64 on routine annual mammo, no lump. OncotypeDX 16. I cried because I had no shoes...but then again, I won’t get blisters.... Dx 9/9/2015, IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 9/23/2015 Lumpectomy; Lumpectomy (Right) Radiation Therapy 11/2/2015 3DCRT: Breast Hormonal Therapy 12/31/2015 Femara (letrozole)

May 21, 2022 11:21AM illinoislady wrote:

Of all the gifts that wise Providence
grants us to make life full and happy,
friendship is the most beautiful.

Epicurus

Each day I am thankful for nights that turned into mornings, friends that turned into family, dreams that turned into reality and likes that turned into love. ~~~Elizabeth Kuebler-Ross Dx 9/27/2007, IDC, 5cm, Stage II, Grade 3, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2-

May 21, 2022 01:59PM illinoislady wrote:

Having thunderstorms today. I ran out to wash the deck windows in-between when rain was gone for a bit. Our next sunny day I'll be able to see exactly what I missed and what will have to be re-done. It is the first cleaning of the season, so I wash with dish soap knowing I'm likely to have to go back -- which I will do with Windex.

Nothing special planned to today. Laundry and some windows -- a nap in the chair. Some tuna fish for lunch in a couple minutes, and I think I have it covered.

Each day I am thankful for nights that turned into mornings, friends that turned into family, dreams that turned into reality and likes that turned into love. ~~~Elizabeth Kuebler-Ross Dx 9/27/2007, IDC, 5cm, Stage II, Grade 3, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2-

May 21, 2022 03:53PM cardplayer wrote:

It's in the low 90s this afternoon. 😅 Glad we took a walk after breakfast. I was going to do some cleaning this afternoon but my stomach is feeling a little wonky, so I'm drinking some Gatorade and taking it easy. Enjoy your Saturday afternoon.

Targeted Therapy 6/30/2020 Perjeta (pertuzumab) Chemotherapy 6/30/2020 Carboplatin (Paraplatin), Taxotere (docetaxel) Targeted Therapy 6/30/2020 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Surgery 11/19/2020 Mastectomy (Right) Hormonal Therapy 12/3/2020 Arimidex (anastrozole) Surgery 12/9/2021 Prophylactic mastectomy (Left) Dx IDC, Right, 6cm+, Stage IIB, ER+/PR+, HER2+

May 21, 2022 04:16PM mcbaker wrote:

I slept overnight last night at the K of C. We are hosting a homeless family this weekend. Shelter Program - Family Promise I brought Tippy and the kids enjoyed playing with him. I was nervous as heck that they would overwhelm him, but it went OK. Despite my bed being hard, I slept well, only waking enough to turn over and disturb Tippy. This morning and part of the afternoon I put cardboard between the rows in my garden, then rearranged things in front of my apartment because my milkweed is getting strong enough to maybe bloom this year. Plus I need to get some viola seed to stimulate some genetic variety in what I have. And with the changes, I now have more room for my trike on the porch.

Mary Dx 10/3/2018, DCIS, Right, 6cm+, Stage 0, Grade 3, ER-/PR-, HER2+ Dx 11/16/2018, IDC, Right, <1, Stage IA, Grade 1, ER-/PR-, HER2+, IHC Surgery 11/16/2018 Lymph node removal; Mastectomy; Mastectomy (Right); Reconstruction (Right): Tissue Expander Targeted Therapy 12/19/2018 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Chemotherapy 12/19/2018 Taxol (paclitaxel) Chemotherapy 12/24/2018 Taxol (paclitaxel) Targeted Therapy 12/28/2018 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Surgery 6/28/2019 Reconstruction (Right): Fat grafting, Saline implant Chemotherapy

May 21, 2022 04:20PM cindyny wrote:

Basement is dry, water heater good. Boiler has at a minimum (per proposal) $2,299 in damage. I need the proposal to remove the cost for the valve and it’s labor, insurance won’t cover it. I figure my $250 deductible plus the valve which shouldn’t be too much, for my costs. We’ll see how it pans out.

Car - only cost was the diagnostic as it was just from sitting so long (6 months) without being turned over. Still paying $159 when we could have had friends squeeze in and run it for 5 minutes seems steep.

Slippers with the mouse - next morning I was back on the porch to go get the newspaper and put my left foot in and felt something - not a mouse, but the poison being stored. Garbage can was my next step. Front porch is enclosed but unheated, maybe my slipper was warmth. HA! Should have tossed them immediately.

Sandy, if Bob is ok getting stuck in Canada, I’d keep your plans. We’re close to Canada, less than 3 hours to the border, inthat I view them as neighbors. Not a bad place to be stuck.

I spent yesterday using Pledge on all wooden surfaces in the bedrooms, dining & living room. Then Windex on all the hard surfaces in the kitchen & bathroom. House still needs to be vacuumed but without AC it can wait until early morning tomorrow. I had a bulb I must have planted 7 months ago sitting at my back door, so I can relate to animals digging them up.

It was supposed to hit 98 here today. They’re now saying maybe 92, but at 87 it’s very hot. Hot enough that I won’t go sit in our front yard to remove dead stalks from the hydrangeas. Partner mowed the back yesterday, after picking up branches & sticks, and the front this morning. God son put down top soil this morning where he plowed it up. We’re getting back to normal…slowly.

Jackie, you too need to take it slowly getting back to helping out others. If it’s not an emergency, it can wait.

dx at 58, no family history, onco = 19 Dx 10/6/2017, DCIS/IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/5 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 11/1/2017 Lumpectomy; Lumpectomy (Left); Lymph node removal Surgery 11/14/2017 Lumpectomy; Lumpectomy (Left) Radiation Therapy 12/26/2017 Whole breast: Breast Hormonal Therapy 3/1/2018 Arimidex (anastrozole)

May 21, 2022 07:59PM - edited May 21, 2022 08:04PM by chisandy

We'll call the Doubletree before we leave to find out where nearby we can get a rapid test with written proof of results on a Sunday, so we can have the evening and next day at our leisure before hitting the airport. That way, if we do test positive we can start isolating Sunday night instead of retrieving our luggage from the airport & heading back to the hotel (hoping we can get back in).

I finally got the N95s I wanted all along (3M Aura, which look like KF94s but with head straps). They're white, but oh, well. They're what I'll wear at the airports and in-flight (Canada has kept its mask mandate for planes & airports). I bought 20 of them. Meanwhile, Bob has decided he likes the US-made gray Armbrust KN95s better than the blue surgicals, which is good because the Armbrusts do gap a little under my chin (should've bought kids'-size). We have the Armbrusts on subscription, so we won't run out.

It was 84 at 5 pm yesterday; but within 20 minutes the mercury had dipped into the 60s. Poured overnight. It's been in the high 50s all day today. (That sweet spot where we can turn off the A/C and set the heat to 68, where the boiler has yet to kick in. We did run the ceiling fan in the bedroom, and slept like babies). We won't see 60 again till Wed.--when it'll rain again.The weather will be great--while we're away, of course.

Diagnosed at 64 on routine annual mammo, no lump. OncotypeDX 16. I cried because I had no shoes...but then again, I won’t get blisters.... Dx 9/9/2015, IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 9/23/2015 Lumpectomy; Lumpectomy (Right) Radiation Therapy 11/2/2015 3DCRT: Breast Hormonal Therapy 12/31/2015 Femara (letrozole)

May 22, 2022 09:06AM illinoislady wrote:

Wealth consists not in having great possessions, but in having few wants. -Epictetus

May 22, 2022 10:25AM cardplayer wrote:

Another hot day here, but then we'll get thunderstorms and things will cool off considerably for the next several days. Glad to be staying indoors today. My stomach is still giving me issues. I think I had a pancreatitis attack last night, although it only last a couple of hours so I didn't go to the ER. My pancreatitis is idiopathic, last attack was 3 years ago. Very frustrating since I eat a low fat diet and don't drink alcohol. I'll call my GI tomorrow.

Hope you're able to travel to Toronto chisandy.

Enjoy your Sunday!

Targeted Therapy 6/30/2020 Perjeta (pertuzumab) Chemotherapy 6/30/2020 Carboplatin (Paraplatin), Taxotere (docetaxel) Targeted Therapy 6/30/2020 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Surgery 11/19/2020 Mastectomy (Right) Hormonal Therapy 12/3/2020 Arimidex (anastrozole) Surgery 12/9/2021 Prophylactic mastectomy (Left) Dx IDC, Right, 6cm+, Stage IIB, ER+/PR+, HER2+

May 22, 2022 03:19PM illinoislady wrote:

It is cold outside today. My SIL, after a bit, came in and got his long pants and long sleeved shirt on. It is also damp from all the rain we had and the little bit of breeze does cause some discomfort. It is due ( if long range weather report holds ) to rain a lot this coming week as well. Almost all week, actually. Well, we will get by but I don't have to like it. It is not the actual rain I dislike but the bleak looking gray that casts itself over everything. I have some special lights and they help, but I miss the sun til it gets back.

I'm trying to enjoy the brief respite of coolness we are getting at the moment. Just hoping we can get through the rest of this month and June, but summer has been coming earlier the last few yrs. Seems we have to turn our a/c on earlier every yr. Use to hold off till July and actually remain comfy and a couple we made it to Aug. I think no more of that.

Page 4111 of 4,144 (41,438 results)

Scroll to top button