Topic: Can we have a forum for "older" people with bc?

Forum: Older Than 60 Years Old With Breast Cancer — Meet other women who are similar in age and dealing with age-appropriate issues.

Posted on: Feb 7, 2009 03:29PM

Posted on: Feb 7, 2009 03:29PM

Northstar wrote:

I am an "older" woman with breast cancer (I was diagnosed at 65 and am now 66).  I notice that most of the posts seem to be from people younger than I am (often by quite a bit...).   I'd love to "talk" with others my age, exchange info about their diagnoses, effects on their lives, etc.   I see that there is a forum for young women.

Someone suggested that maybe it's that older people aren't so computer-savvy or aren't used to being in online discussion groups.   However, for those who are, it would be great. 

DX 8/15/08, ILC, 5.1 cm, Stage IIb, Grade 1, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-, Oncotype DX 11.

Page 4144 of 4,171 (41,705 results)

Jul 3, 2022 02:32PM wren44 wrote:

It's 57 here at 2:30 in the afternoon. Raining some and misting a lot. DH discovered a baby crow on our front steps this morning. He was afraid it was sick or dead. We closed the door and left it alone. I just looked again and the baby moved from the steps (in the rain) onto the front porch where it's dry. I hope he's gone by the time my DD gets here. Getting dive bombed by crows is very unpleasant. I think it's a fledgling that can't fly yet. I hear parents pretty close.

Lumpectomy and re-excision followed by mastectomy of right breast. Five years of anastrasole completed. Chemotherapy 6/17/2022 Other Surgery Lumpectomy (Right) Surgery Mastectomy (Right)

Jul 4, 2022 06:33AM carolehalston wrote:

Happy 4th to all. It's overcast here and warmer than the last mornings have been. We have no plans except to stay put in the Covid Camper. DH is still coughing but not running fever. Things could be much worse.

Nipple-Sparing BMX w/Alloderm & Silicone Implants 7/24/09, Oncotype Dx 9, No Chemo, No Rads, Arimidex Dx 6/25/2009, IDC, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 3, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Jul 4, 2022 06:51AM cardplayer wrote:

Happy 4th. I hope everyone is staying well. Hope your DH improves Carol. We have a quiet day scheduled. Took our morning walk and staying in the rest of the day. Another hot day. Probably watch fireworks on PBS to see the fireworks over DC. Always enjoy those. Enjoy your day

Targeted Therapy 6/30/2020 Perjeta (pertuzumab) Chemotherapy 6/30/2020 Carboplatin (Paraplatin), Taxotere (docetaxel) Targeted Therapy 6/30/2020 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Surgery 11/19/2020 Mastectomy (Right) Hormonal Therapy 12/3/2020 Arimidex (anastrozole) Surgery 12/9/2021 Prophylactic mastectomy (Left) Dx IDC, Right, 6cm+, Stage IIB, ER+/PR+, HER2+

Jul 4, 2022 07:10AM illinoislady wrote:

A habit for all of us to develop would be to look for something to
appreciate in everyone we meet. We can all be generous with
appreciation. Everyone is grateful for it. It improves every human
relationship, it brings new courage to people facing difficulties, and
it brings out the best in everyone. So, give appreciation
generously whenever you can. You will never regret it.

Carl Holmes

Each day I am thankful for nights that turned into mornings, friends that turned into family, dreams that turned into reality and likes that turned into love. ~~~Elizabeth Kuebler-Ross Dx 9/27/2007, IDC, 5cm, Stage II, Grade 3, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2-

Jul 4, 2022 07:15AM illinoislady wrote:

Will be hot here today. We keep getting teased with rain possibilities, but a lot of it goes past us. Nothing special planned for the day. Catch-up work inside. I have more to do tomorrow when banks, stores and other places I need to go will be open.

Hope you have a good day Carole and that you remain well. Also hope your hubby is going to wear off the cough soon.

Sharing the day in spirit with all of you. Happy 4th.

Each day I am thankful for nights that turned into mornings, friends that turned into family, dreams that turned into reality and likes that turned into love. ~~~Elizabeth Kuebler-Ross Dx 9/27/2007, IDC, 5cm, Stage II, Grade 3, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2-

Jul 4, 2022 07:41AM mcbaker wrote:

We took an eight-block walk this morning!! I worked in the garden this morning. Did not sleep well, so going down for a nap.

Mary Dx 10/3/2018, DCIS, Right, 6cm+, Stage 0, Grade 3, ER-/PR-, HER2+ Surgery 11/15/2018 Lymph node removal; Mastectomy; Mastectomy (Right); Reconstruction (Right): Tissue Expander Dx 11/16/2018, IDC, Right, <1, Stage IA, Grade 1, ER-/PR-, HER2+, IHC Targeted Therapy 12/18/2018 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Chemotherapy 12/19/2018 Taxol (paclitaxel) Chemotherapy 12/24/2018 Taxol (paclitaxel) Targeted Therapy 12/28/2018 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Surgery 6/27/2019 Reconstruction (Right): Fat grafting, Saline implant Chemotherapy

Jul 4, 2022 08:48AM betrayal wrote:

Went to the Kutztown German Folk Festival yesterday with DH, DD and DSIL. Weather was warm but not humid and a good breeze so we were not uncomfortable. All sorts of crafts for sale as well as German foods and locally made sodas (Sasparilla, Root Beer, Red Cream and Black Cherry. Had no intentions of buying anything but you know how that goes sometimes. My Covid hair is long and decidedly a mixed gray so I was able to purchase several items to restyle it from the ubiquitous pony tail into a "bun" using a fabric holder and several unique barrettes that transform it into an upknot and french twist with practice required on my part. A new necklace and earrings, and my early birthday present was a floral (arrangement) picture that is entirely made of silk embroidery. It is beautiful and I cannot imagine how many hours it took to make. Of course, we had to get some Wet Bottom Shoofly pies and Lebanon bologna. DH got some locally produced cordials that we were able to sample. On the way home we stop at this one dairy which makes the ice cream and runs an ice cream shop for our dessert. They make Teaberry ice cream which is a favorite of mine so we bought several half gallons of various flavors to savor at home. It was a very pleasant day and not overly crowded, mostly outdoors so we felt safe maskless for once. Happy 4th to all.

Carol sorry to hear about DH and hope he recovers soon. Stay safe.

Surgery 1/31/2016 Lumpectomy; Lumpectomy (Left) Surgery 1/31/2016 Lymph node removal Surgery 3/3/2016 Lumpectomy; Lumpectomy (Left) Radiation Therapy 3/30/2016 Whole breast: Breast Hormonal Therapy 6/24/2016 Arimidex (anastrozole) Hormonal Therapy 5/18/2017 Femara (letrozole) Hormonal Therapy 6/15/2020 Aromasin (exemestane)

Jul 4, 2022 09:20AM wren44 wrote:

That festival sounds like a lot of fun. Our high is supposed to be 68 today with partial clouds. It's actually a great forecast for July 4 which is often miserable. Ask someone is Seattle when summer starts and they'll say July 5. We'll watch fireworks on TV because we can't stay up late enough to see ours.

Lumpectomy and re-excision followed by mastectomy of right breast. Five years of anastrasole completed. Chemotherapy 6/17/2022 Other Surgery Lumpectomy (Right) Surgery Mastectomy (Right)

Jul 4, 2022 03:04PM karen1956 wrote:

Sandy - please check so we know that you and your family are safe.

Karen in Denver, Dx 02/03/2006, ILC, stage IIIa, ER/PR+, HER2-,

Jul 4, 2022 09:42PM byfaith wrote:

Hi Friends, It's been 12 years since I was diagnosed with early stage BC. It did not go to my lymph nodes and I was given radiation and Arimidex. I have been blessed with no recurrence. I'm now 65 years old.

Over a month ago, I decided to start brisk walking on our treadmill for my health after not exercising at all for decades. I foolishly never stretched before I started walking or even started slowly, I just went hot and heavy for 30 minutes every single day. No pain or discomfort, and it felt good.

About 1-1/2 weeks before I stopped (stopped due to injury after 30 days), I had a video followup with my family doctor and told him I gad gluteal (butt) soreness/discomfort. He said it was likely the treadmill, but not to worry.

Then 1-1/2 weeks after that, I woke one morning out of bed and was unable to bear weight on my legs due to what felt like sharp, almost sciatic pain in my butt, back thighs and near my hips, bilateral. It feels muscular, but is very bad before my bath. I kept going in pain and then would take my bath and feel much better. No more treadmill since. But every morning since then, I have the same pain I just described that improves significantly or disappears after my bath. If I'm uncomfortable during the day, I take Advil, it I can walk.

Just went to see a female doctor in our family practice last Friday. She was wonderful! To calm my worst fears, she had the office take X-rays of my lumbar spine, sacrum/coccyx, and pelvis. She wrote back to me within an hour! The sacrum area X-rays and pelvic X-rays were all normal and she pointed out the good news was it showed no cancer. The one that worries me is the lumbar spine. It showed arthritic changes typical with my age, but also showed Grade 1 minor retrolisthesis and minor anterolisthesis. She thinks this is where the problem is coming from. As soon as it can be scheduled I’ll have an MRI and she said we’d set up a treatment plan. I hope the very detailed MRI shows no tumor. (The lumbar report made no mention of cancer either way on the X-rays.) weird thing is this sciatica and inability to walk w/o serious pain until after my bath, did not occur until I brisk walked on the treadmill for 30 days.

HELP!! I’m SO SCARED what the MRI might find and if my sciatica will ever go away, and now Wednesday is my 12th mammogram. I’ve been blessed with no recurrence since 2010. Has anyone ever had SCIATICA from likely osteoporosis-related problems (from Arimidex)? I can barely walk from the pain until after my bath and then discomfort and limping until my first Advil at Noon. Sorry so long. XOX

Dx 4/2010, IDC, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 2, 0/5 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 5/20/2010 Lumpectomy; Lumpectomy (Left) Radiation Therapy 7/12/2010 Breast, Lymph nodes Hormonal Therapy 9/1/2010 Arimidex (anastrozole)

Page 4144 of 4,171 (41,705 results)

Scroll to top button