Topic: Can we have a forum for "older" people with bc?

Forum: Older Than 60 Years Old With Breast Cancer — Meet other women who are similar in age and dealing with age-appropriate issues.

Posted on: Feb 7, 2009 03:29PM

Posted on: Feb 7, 2009 03:29PM

Northstar wrote:

I am an "older" woman with breast cancer (I was diagnosed at 65 and am now 66).  I notice that most of the posts seem to be from people younger than I am (often by quite a bit...).   I'd love to "talk" with others my age, exchange info about their diagnoses, effects on their lives, etc.   I see that there is a forum for young women.

Someone suggested that maybe it's that older people aren't so computer-savvy or aren't used to being in online discussion groups.   However, for those who are, it would be great. 

DX 8/15/08, ILC, 5.1 cm, Stage IIb, Grade 1, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-, Oncotype DX 11.

Page 4212 of 4,220 (42,191 results)

Sep 22, 2022 06:59AM betrayal wrote:

petite1: Glad you were able to find contractors and hope they do their jobs quickly and expertly.

Karen: Wishing your brother continues to make progress in his recovery. Slow and steady wins the race. Glad your colonoscopy was a non-event.

Cindy: Sounds like you have made great progress n putting the house back together and getting through those clothing piles. We will be doing that over the winter now that the majority of the restoration is done and we can concentrate on "our" projects.

Keywestfan: hope your recovery is progressing nicely.

Yesterday was a busy one. My DB came to do some repairs around the house for us including fixing the wainscoting he had to remove so we could replace the jetted tub motor. I keep a running list of the jobs he can do that are beyond our skill set and he'll make the hour long trip here to do them. Some are 2 step like the wainscoting repair. I just need to paint the wall again but that is within my skill set. The rug cleaning company returned my living room and dining room rugs and took the family room rug to be cleaned. Of course, that meant furniture had to be moved but my DH, DB and I were able to do that. Now we can lay the rugs in the living room and dining room. With rain predicted for today, this will be today's project. We had an evaluation of Regan scheduled at Petsmart for participation in obedience classes. She was nervous when we entered the store but also curious of her surroundings. Tail tucked and pretty much remained there until we were leaving. She was evaluated on how she reacted to the dogs leaving the training class which was shy and moving back only if they approached her but no growling, barking or aggression. Once in the classroom ring she was hesitant with the male trainer but he was able to treat her so he could touch her, she took treats from him and made eye contact. He spent about 45 minutes So she has been cleared to join a beginners class in November. We have to wait until she has finished her vaccines and has been spayed. Spay appointments were 6 weeks out when we made her appointment. So I am pleased how much progress she has made with sitting and leash walking (except when that pesky chipmunk appears) in just 10 days. She has begun to be less hypervigilant and actually nap now where she only slept at night for the first week here. Have a good day.

Surgery 1/31/2016 Lumpectomy; Lumpectomy (Left) Surgery 1/31/2016 Lymph node removal Surgery 3/3/2016 Lumpectomy; Lumpectomy (Left) Radiation Therapy 3/30/2016 Whole breast: Breast Hormonal Therapy 6/24/2016 Arimidex (anastrozole) Hormonal Therapy 5/18/2017 Femara (letrozole) Hormonal Therapy 6/15/2020 Aromasin (exemestane)

Sep 22, 2022 07:14AM cardplayer wrote:

Trying to catch-up. Sounds like everyone has been been busy with winterizing, house cleanup, etc. Thinking of you mavericksmom. A front is coming through on this first day of autumn. It’s raining and windy. We’ll start to have cooler nights and days in the 60s going forward. Spent yesterday at DD house. Love spending time with my new granddaughter. We made ourselves useful. We plan to pickup some items for them at Costco on Friday and visit again on Saturday. The other grandmother will be visiting next week, so we’ll be staying home.

Heading to see my PCP and GI doctors today. Have a healthy and peaceful day.

Targeted Therapy 6/30/2020 Perjeta (pertuzumab) Chemotherapy 6/30/2020 Carboplatin (Paraplatin), Taxotere (docetaxel) Targeted Therapy 6/30/2020 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Surgery 11/19/2020 Mastectomy (Right) Hormonal Therapy 12/3/2020 Arimidex (anastrozole) Surgery 12/9/2021 Prophylactic mastectomy (Left) Dx IDC, Right, 6cm+, Stage IIB, ER+/PR+, HER2+

Sep 22, 2022 08:12AM petite1 wrote:

Carole, We are watching the Gulf. If it develops, it will be Hermine the second. The first Hermine was a disaster in 2016. We are hoping history does not repeat itself.

The clean up and rehab is coming along. Of course, DH, used my truck to haul junk to the dump and now the bed is full of mud. I tried to sweep it out, but broke the broom. I am waiting until it dries, and will try again.

My PCP visit was this morning. He thought I lost too much weight and changed my thyroid dosage. He also did a referral to the Cardiovascular surgeon for my vein problem.

petite Dx 8/23/2019, ILC/IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/7 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2- Radiation Therapy 10/20/2019 Whole breast: Breast Hormonal Therapy 12/18/2019 Arimidex (anastrozole)

Sep 22, 2022 08:54AM keywestfan wrote:

Thank you Betrayal,

This has been, is, quite a trip. Am 11 days out from LTHR- left total hip replacement.Like BC it has physical,emotional consequences. Periods of discouragement, worry, anxiety, etc. Then the sun appears.I’ve been doing well, learned how to maneuver the walker, soon, I hope to transfer to a cane. Do fear I’ll just forever be afraid to simply walk unassisted like a normal person down the street..I’ve been in the Mather Retirement Home Skilled Nursing on the second floor. We live in Independent Living on the 10th floor.Skilled nursing has been good, but sort of scary, afraid of Covid, from wonderful staff and nurses, all of whom go back into the world at night. Going back to apartment tomorrow..

Anastrozole June 2019 Dx 2/14/2019, IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 3/23/2019 Lumpectomy; Lumpectomy (Right) Radiation Therapy 4/29/2019 Hormonal Therapy

Sep 22, 2022 10:14AM reader425 wrote:

Just popping in to say you all motivate me to continue the various projects we have going on here. Glad to hear of progress Petite, betrayal, card player, maverick. I know I missed some.

So glad to hear the good report Keywestfan. Have said a prayer. Sounds like you are making steady progress.

Everyone have a good day. It's raining here so I have a lot of indoor projects (cleaning kitchen cabinets, etc.). Also watching the hurricane, with relatives down south. Stay safe.

Dx 9/11/2014, IDC, Left, 2cm, Stage IA, Grade 3, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 10/28/2014 Lumpectomy; Lumpectomy (Left) Radiation Therapy 1/3/2015 Whole breast: Breast Hormonal Therapy 2/28/2015 Arimidex (anastrozole)

Sep 22, 2022 01:48PM cardplayer wrote:

Glad that you’re doing well Keywestfanand you’re heading back to your apartment tomorrow. Take care.

Targeted Therapy 6/30/2020 Perjeta (pertuzumab) Chemotherapy 6/30/2020 Carboplatin (Paraplatin), Taxotere (docetaxel) Targeted Therapy 6/30/2020 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Surgery 11/19/2020 Mastectomy (Right) Hormonal Therapy 12/3/2020 Arimidex (anastrozole) Surgery 12/9/2021 Prophylactic mastectomy (Left) Dx IDC, Right, 6cm+, Stage IIB, ER+/PR+, HER2+

Sep 22, 2022 05:32PM cindyny wrote:

Keywestfan, glad to hear from you! Getting home to your own bed will be heavenly.

I didn’t get a walk in today, it was cold & raining. But I did get out to a local hospital for blood work my new PCP ordered. The results were sent to my portal already, cholesterol is all good. Then I ran to the city mission and dropped off 4 bags of clothes - lots of sweaters I hope will get used. And from there made my way to CVS for my 3rd booster appointment. Sore spot at the injection and I swear my other arm aches in the same area. I know, nutty.

We ate a fast lunch and went to 3 more stores taking advantage of 20% off offers. In two stores we got out to the car to put things in the trunk and checked the receipt. There were errors. Overcharged by $7 at one place, just rang up wrong, and at the other store there was an item we never purchased but were charged for it. The clerk didn’t even know what the item was, issued a $5 credit. Glad we took the time to look!

Things on my to do shopping list were a new hairdryer and curtains. Fortunately I found both at great prices. I’m hopping in to take a hot shower and call it a day. I hope all of you had agood day.

dx at 58, no family history, onco = 19 Dx 10/6/2017, DCIS/IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/5 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 10/31/2017 Lumpectomy; Lumpectomy (Left); Lymph node removal Surgery 11/13/2017 Lumpectomy; Lumpectomy (Left) Radiation Therapy 12/26/2017 Whole breast: Breast Hormonal Therapy 3/1/2018 Arimidex (anastrozole)

Sep 22, 2022 07:31PM mavericksmom wrote:

I had two appointments today. The first was a pre-surgical appointment with a lymphedema therapist who showed me exercises to do after surgery. The funny thing was that when I went to check in, the receptionist snapped at me and said "How did you get up here?" I told her I followed the instructions the person from admission told me. The receptionist said I was supposed to stop at security first, and I explained that I wasn't told that. She wasn't very nice about it, but apparently it is pretty easy for anyone to go anywhere without anyone stopping them. Later she said, "Oh, so you are here for a pre-surgical visit, so you wouldn't have known."

Then I had my appointment with the plastic surgeon, who, while very nice and apparently very good at his job, seemed more interested in my lymphedema than my reconstruction. I was surprised because I am having a mastectomy with tissue expander and possible lymphovenous bypass to prevent lymphedema in my right arm. I have stage two lymphedema in my left arm from the first time I had breast cancer in 2003. Anyway, apparently this is done as an outpatient surgery! I told him that if this is an outpatient surgery I will absolutely NOT stay overnight for any reason! My insurance rep warned me not to stay overnight unless they admit me, otherwise I will end up with a lot of medical bills! So, I already know what to say to get me home and I plan to do that even if I have to lie about it!

Then he told me to schedule my one-week post op appointment, but that will be with his PA, someone I never even met! I already decided that when I am done with this surgery and my implant surgery which won't happen for months, I am done seeing any doctor for breast cancer!

I am glad I will go home the same day, especially knowing how lax the security is there! Also, it will allow me to be in charge of what I eat, drink and when I use the bathroom, shower, etc. I can never sleep well in a hospital, so hopefully being at home will be better, and I won't have to put a mask on!

I am also happy that I will likely be back at work after Thanksgiving, so I will be able to celebrate the holidays more normally.

My DD and family are headed to Disney World on Saturday. I hope they don't have issues with the hurricane! They have been waiting for this trip for a long time.

Glad to hear everyone is doing well here and that all the renovations are moving along in the right direction!

So happy to hear you will be able to go to your apartment, Keywest! One can heal at home so much better!

Dx 6/6/2003, IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 1, 0/24 nodes, ER+/PR+ Dx 12/4/2018, ILC, Left, 1cm, Grade 2, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Sep 23, 2022 05:56AM carolehalston wrote:

DH has been on the lookout for a used gas golf cart for weeks. One of our weekend neighbors sent pictures of a cart that a friend of his father's has for sale. It's yellow and has the features we want but looks well used. We made an offer and it was accepted. The neighbor, Brian, will be bringing it next weekend. Just in time for us to store it for the winter. Hope the new acquisition works out for dh.

We are only a mile from the golf course and there's a trail used by 4 wheelers and ski mobiles. I know it's optimistic at our ages (83 and 79) to count on being back next summer. So here's hoping we'll get some use out of the golf cart. With just one vehicle during the summer, the golf cart counts as a second mode of transportation on golf days.

It's a rainy dark morning. Some time during the day I may venture to town to a supermarket for one or two items.

Hope everyone has a good day.

Nipple-Sparing BMX w/Alloderm & Silicone Implants 7/24/09, Oncotype Dx 9, No Chemo, No Rads, Arimidex Dx 6/25/2009, IDC, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 3, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Sep 23, 2022 06:41AM petite1 wrote:

Good morning. My visit with the PCP went as expected. He adjusted my thyroid meds. The rehab is going well. DH is paying the first draw today. We will go out this afternoon, after I have lunch with my BFF. We continue to watch the tropics. I am topping off my gas tank just incase. I don't usually drive too much, but DH has been using my truck to go to the "job site". I might check on the battery supply and change out the flashlight batteries. Just in case.

Keywestfan, your own bed is the best place to recover. cyber hugs

mavericksmom, cyber hugs

petite Dx 8/23/2019, ILC/IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/7 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2- Radiation Therapy 10/20/2019 Whole breast: Breast Hormonal Therapy 12/18/2019 Arimidex (anastrozole)

Page 4212 of 4,220 (42,191 results)

Scroll to top button