Topic: Can we have a forum for "older" people with bc?

Forum: Older Than 60 Years Old With Breast Cancer — Meet other women who are similar in age and dealing with age-appropriate issues.

Posted on: Feb 7, 2009 06:29PM

Posted on: Feb 7, 2009 06:29PM

Northstar wrote:

I am an "older" woman with breast cancer (I was diagnosed at 65 and am now 66).  I notice that most of the posts seem to be from people younger than I am (often by quite a bit...).   I'd love to "talk" with others my age, exchange info about their diagnoses, effects on their lives, etc.   I see that there is a forum for young women.

Someone suggested that maybe it's that older people aren't so computer-savvy or aren't used to being in online discussion groups.   However, for those who are, it would be great. 

DX 8/15/08, ILC, 5.1 cm, Stage IIb, Grade 1, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-, Oncotype DX 11.

Page 4264 of 4,268 (42,680 results)

Nov 22, 2022 10:55AM illinoislady wrote:

Once again as sunny as I always hope it will be. Our temps. are working up to getting into the late 50's, like almost 60, That won't last too long but so far, the change has made for a pretty good week.

Not sure I mentioned (wish I knew how to post pictures here) that I really have been enjoying wearing short hair again. My Dh said I looked 20 yrs. younger again. Well, he is somewhat biased so I'm not at all sure that is even close. I think more my body and hair resemble heavily how they used to be. I weighed a healthy 135 #'s, and my face hadn't fallen from a stroke, and I never went for a long hair style back then. I do believe being able to fluff out my hair a little more, as well as visibly not be having to apply hair dye to white hair, makes a bit of positive difference. Um, 20 yrs. worth, real doubtful! You would have to work a lot harder to convince me, but I do think I look younger.

Several places, (churches and organizations) are doing holiday meals again this yr. Some will even deliver them. They would like a donation of whatever amt. you can afford and wish to give, but it is NOT a must-have for them if your means have dwindled. I spoke to my family about pre-ordering at least three. So, all but me. I planned to make a roast because it would be a lot less work for me, and I would not have to evaluate everything I ate for possibly upsetting my salt balance. Also, ordering meals means usually there is no way to have leftovers unless you're a very delicate eater. So, we would have food not needing real preparation the next day. They were all so wishy-washy I abandoned the idea. Now that it is too late to order, (I have friends that I could arm-twist a bit) they are telling me fine. I'm going to stick with the roast. I gave them a chance to choose something, and they waited too late to do it. End of story -- enjoy the roast everyone.

Each day I am thankful for nights that turned into mornings, friends that turned into family, dreams that turned into reality and likes that turned into love. ~~~Elizabeth Kuebler-Ross Dx 9/27/2007, IDC, 5cm, Stage II, Grade 3, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2-

Nov 22, 2022 12:44PM betrayal wrote:

Love today's quote. I sometimes crave being alone and seldom suffer from loneliness. There are days when I do not leave the house while DH has to be out and about daily so I let him run errands he can handle.

petite1: The petite shorts are still a tad long but I don't always need to take them to the tailors, they just break lower than I usually prefer. I am short legged with a long torso, so tops can be regular sized because petite tops are sometimes too short. The sleeves can sometimes be too long but I just push them up or fold them under. I was lucky when my mother made my clothes because they were always custom fit. Belated HB to your DH and may he have many more.

My first bike was a hand me down that my DD painted red and green. It was a standard girls bike where you reversed the pedals to brake. It had nothing fancy to say for it. I rode it everywhere once I learned to balance. One day my friend and I decided to take a rather lengthy ride ~ 10 miles roundtrip and got caught in a major thunderstorm. We sought refuge at a farm several miles from our home and had to call our parents to come get us. Needless to say we were grounded for this but to this day, I would do it again. I found that my mother would punish me for things that she ignored if my DBs attempted or did. At that time, there was not the concern about child predators, etc that there is today. Just she had a double standard always.

Today is sunny and warmer with temps supposed to hit the low 50's. Welcome after the bitter cold. Located the electric turkey roaster in the garage and cleaned it up so we can use it on Thursday. Hope the 21 lb turkey I have will fit in it and that the darn turkey will finally thaw in the refrigerator. It has been in there since last Thursday and only seems a bit softer.

Mary: I bought a beaded purse in BC and not only did it have a business card inside, there was a printed backstory about the artist tucked into the purse. I found this very interesting and it made the purse even more meaningful. If people comment on the bag, I share the story with them. That is why I made the suggestion. I did not mean to offend.

Loved the program Escape to the Chateau that used to be broadcast on HGTV and then disappeared. Found it on Peacock and am bingeing on the 3 seasons I have not seen. The couple are very creative and into upcycling items they found in the chateau or elsewhere that were in disrepair. I am amazed at how creative they both are and envy those that possess that skill. I am still on season 7 with 2 more to go after this. If you have not seen it and love DIY, I highly recommend watching it.

Have a good day.

Surgery 2/1/2016 Lumpectomy; Lumpectomy (Left) Surgery 2/1/2016 Lymph node removal Surgery 3/4/2016 Lumpectomy; Lumpectomy (Left) Radiation Therapy 3/31/2016 Whole breast: Breast Hormonal Therapy 6/25/2016 Arimidex (anastrozole) Hormonal Therapy 5/19/2017 Femara (letrozole) Hormonal Therapy 6/16/2020 Aromasin (exemestane)

Nov 23, 2022 07:40AM - edited Nov 23, 2022 07:42AM by mcbaker

No, I was not offended.

Escape to Chateau is on our PBS, but I often see reruns. I really enjoyed it when I first discovered it. I'll look around and see if I can find a bigger variety of episodes. I subscribe to Acorn. I would suspect that it being on TV is great advertisement for the B & B and events.

Mary Dx 10/3/2018, DCIS, Right, 6cm+, Stage 0, Grade 3, ER-/PR-, HER2+ Dx 11/16/2018, IDC, Right, <1, Stage IA, Grade 1, ER-/PR-, HER2+, IHC Surgery 11/16/2018 Lymph node removal; Mastectomy; Mastectomy (Right); Reconstruction (Right): Tissue Expander Targeted Therapy 12/19/2018 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Chemotherapy 12/19/2018 Taxol (paclitaxel) Chemotherapy 12/24/2018 Taxol (paclitaxel) Targeted Therapy 12/28/2018 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Surgery 6/28/2019 Reconstruction (Right): Fat grafting, Saline implant Chemotherapy

Nov 23, 2022 10:34AM illinoislady wrote:

The art of thanksgiving is thanksliving. It is gratitude in action. It is applying Albert Schweitzer's philosophy: "In gratitude for your own good fortune you must render in return some sacrifice of your life for other life." It is thanking God for the gift of life by living it triumphantly. It is thanking God for your talents and abilities by accepting them as obligations to be invested for the common good. It is thanking God for happiness by striving to make others happy. It is thanking God for beauty by helping to make the world more beautiful. It is thanking God for inspiration by trying to be an inspiration for others. It is thanking God for health and strength by the care and reverence you show your body. It is thanking God for each new day by living it to the fullest. It is adding to your prayers of thanksgiving, acts of thanksliving. -Wilferd A. Peterson

Each day I am thankful for nights that turned into mornings, friends that turned into family, dreams that turned into reality and likes that turned into love. ~~~Elizabeth Kuebler-Ross Dx 9/27/2007, IDC, 5cm, Stage II, Grade 3, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2-

Nov 23, 2022 10:40AM petite1 wrote:

Good morning. It is warm today and pleasant for my walk. I have a few errands to run and that is about it for today.

Betrayal, I am short legged and long waisted, too. The last suit I bought (for my mom's funeral) the pants were too big and the jacket too small. I took up the pants and left the jacket open.

petite Dx 8/23/2019, ILC/IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/7 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2- Radiation Therapy 10/20/2019 Whole breast: Breast Hormonal Therapy 12/19/2019 Arimidex (anastrozole)

Nov 23, 2022 11:56AM mcbaker wrote:

It is best for me to try the different combinations they sometimes have on the rack. That prevents me from having tops or bottoms that don't fit.

Mary Dx 10/3/2018, DCIS, Right, 6cm+, Stage 0, Grade 3, ER-/PR-, HER2+ Dx 11/16/2018, IDC, Right, <1, Stage IA, Grade 1, ER-/PR-, HER2+, IHC Surgery 11/16/2018 Lymph node removal; Mastectomy; Mastectomy (Right); Reconstruction (Right): Tissue Expander Targeted Therapy 12/19/2018 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Chemotherapy 12/19/2018 Taxol (paclitaxel) Chemotherapy 12/24/2018 Taxol (paclitaxel) Targeted Therapy 12/28/2018 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Surgery 6/28/2019 Reconstruction (Right): Fat grafting, Saline implant Chemotherapy

Nov 23, 2022 12:16PM celiac wrote:

With my long legs and short torso, as well as generally needing a larger top than bottom, I always shopped separates to get a good fit. When my workplace went to business casual, happily only needed a couple of suits for Board meetings or similar business meetings. Retired now, so donated these to a local charity, "Dress for Success", along with lots of other business like attire.

Now, I wear more exercise leggings and tops than anything else. Weather is warming up nicely here in N Kentucky.

Dx 12/2/2016, DCIS/IDC, Left, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 1, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 12/21/2016 Lumpectomy; Lumpectomy (Left); Lymph node removal Radiation Therapy 2/21/2017 Whole breast: Breast Hormonal Therapy 4/5/2017 Arimidex (anastrozole)

Nov 23, 2022 05:56PM betrayal wrote:

Oh, what I would give for long legs. I used to work with a woman who I swore had legs long enough to run into her arm pits and she was a real clothes horse. She was average height as well and could wear clothes off the rack. I have always had to shorten bottoms or skirts even if they state they are made for petites. I have opted for separates even for suits where I can because I need regular for tops. The petite tops can be too short when I raise my arms and the sleeves can be too narrow. I have a muscular arm from years of lifting patients so the sleeves can sometimes be too snug. I used to hem my own pants but sometimes what I had to cut off was substantial so I switched to using a tailor so the leg bottom didn't look odd.

Regan goes for her second behavior training lesson tonight and has done well with sit/stay with me increasing the distance over the week. Still working on "paw" but she is getting better at giving me her left paw. She was reluctant to share this one but would offer the right with no issue. She loves baby carrots so they are the bribe I use for "paw".

They carted off the last of the ash today and the aspect of the backyard has really changed with the removal of 4 trees. It seems more open but it will take until spring to see how much shade we have lost. I may be able to add plants that don't quite require as much shade which would be wonderful.

Happy Thanksgiving to all who post here and thanks for all the support that is shared on this forum by such wonderful women. Hope everyone has a wonderful holiday.

Surgery 2/1/2016 Lumpectomy; Lumpectomy (Left) Surgery 2/1/2016 Lymph node removal Surgery 3/4/2016 Lumpectomy; Lumpectomy (Left) Radiation Therapy 3/31/2016 Whole breast: Breast Hormonal Therapy 6/25/2016 Arimidex (anastrozole) Hormonal Therapy 5/19/2017 Femara (letrozole) Hormonal Therapy 6/16/2020 Aromasin (exemestane)

Nov 23, 2022 07:00PM illinoislady wrote:

Lets see. I have long legs, and torso. I was the tallest girl in grade-school. In high school only two or three were taller than me. I also have mostly long, thin bones. When I got up to weighing 220 #'s no one believed me. I really didn't like carrying extra wt. around, and it was actually harder to find clothes to fit well. i also have one leg (I think almost everyone does), longer than the other. It was noticeable and I was so glad to start wearing jeggings. It is much harder to tell, and I do not have to have the bottoms of my jeans and slacks fooled with.

Most of the time I got along okay, but my problem is I have not only no make-up sense, but no clothing sense either. While I buy a few things from time to time, I get a lot of my clothing at Goodwill. That way if I make a real mistake, it usually isn't costly.

Had a good day today are the Cardiologists office. He is upping my Carvedilol to the full dosage. He later on plans to change the Losartan to another heart med. He seems to be quite happy with where I am at the moment. I will go back and see him in about a month. It is such a godsend that the V.A. is working on getting a system where many of the Dr's to out to the satellite clinics to see people. It is just under a 150-mile rd. trip so not only has it been costly at times on gas prices. It has removed as much as four hrs. gone from home and work that is waiting for my return.

Hope you all had a wonderful day and have the same tomorrow for Thanksgiving. Having you here is indeed something I'm very grateful and thankful for. Someone, or in this case, lots of someones, have helped me along the way easing my fright and discomforts and filling my life with a large group of admirable people. Thank You.

Nov 24, 2022 05:53AM illinoislady wrote:

Deciding to be grateful for our situation, our experiences, our unique perspective, quickly changes our outlook on everything that did happen, on everything that is happening now, and on everyone we meet. Accepting that we are in charge of whatever kind of day we will have forces us to accept responsibility for our joy, which can always be ours, or our unhappiness. And being grateful feels so good. Gratitude is an attitude, and I can feel it whenever I want. -unattributed

Page 4264 of 4,268 (42,680 results)

Scroll to top button