Topic: Can we have a forum for "older" people with bc?

Forum: Older Than 60 Years Old With Breast Cancer — Meet other women who are similar in age and dealing with age-appropriate issues.

Posted on: Feb 7, 2009 05:29PM

Posted on: Feb 7, 2009 05:29PM

Northstar wrote:

I am an "older" woman with breast cancer (I was diagnosed at 65 and am now 66).  I notice that most of the posts seem to be from people younger than I am (often by quite a bit...).   I'd love to "talk" with others my age, exchange info about their diagnoses, effects on their lives, etc.   I see that there is a forum for young women.

Someone suggested that maybe it's that older people aren't so computer-savvy or aren't used to being in online discussion groups.   However, for those who are, it would be great. 

DX 8/15/08, ILC, 5.1 cm, Stage IIb, Grade 1, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-, Oncotype DX 11.

Page 5 of 4,142 (41,419 results)

Feb 23, 2009 05:50PM mandy1313 wrote:

My aunt was diagnosed in the UK at age 91. Because of her age the medical system  did nothing at all. She is now 100.  (and yes, she did have a wonderful birthday and received a card form the Queen).

I am an "older" person and some of my concerns such as already high cholesterol may not be the concerns of our younger "sisters".   There probably is a need for this forum but I wouldn't close it to anyone....you never know what we might learn from anyone.  I think "Older"breast cancer patients would suffice as a name.  

Dx 6/2008, IDC, 1cm, Grade 1, 1/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Feb 23, 2009 06:00PM binney4 wrote:

Hi, all,

Enjoying this new thread, and hope it'll turn into a "place of our own". I was diagnosed and treated in 2001, then five years on Arimidex. My oncologist then switched me to Femara. I did okay on the Arimidex, but the Femara really did me in, with major joint aches and depressing hair loss, etc. So we had a talk, and since my percentage of ER positive was low (17%) we decided to quit it. There really are no studies showing what the ideal time to stay on them is yet. And of course while they feel like a safety net there's no guarantee they'll keep you cancer free. Also, he told me that if I kept my weight down that would help reduce estrogen production also. Sooo...working on keeping my weight down. Which is actually somewhat easier now than when I was on the AIs (it kept creeping up despite all my efforts -- very frustrating!)

Anomdenet, I love your story about your grandmother. Good for her!

Paula, I too chose mastectomy hoping to avoid rads, but the tumor was too close to the chest wall so I had to do it anyway -- very hard adjustment for me, as rads scared me more than chemo. Well, heck, the whole thing's plain scary!

Anybody else dealing with lymphedema?

Be well, all!
Bonnie

Feb 23, 2009 06:04PM klp wrote:

No lymphedema here...so thankful for that!Smile
Lumpectomy,SNB, 33 rads Oncotype DX 5...no chemo!!!! Started Tamoxifen and stopped almost 3 years later.. Dx 10/10/2008, IDC, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 2, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Feb 23, 2009 06:31PM samedaynurseJan wrote:

Evening to everyone.....what a great response this thread is getting !!!!!

Paula....I am indeed a nurse, full time in the Recovery Room of a very busy surgical center , and also not particularly brilliant about breast cancer. Up until my own diagnosis, my grandma and my cousin were my main sources of information and that was really very little. Now Im turning into a walking talking bc text book and Im not sure I really like that either....actually , like all of us, I dont really like anything about any of this, to quote my 3 year old grandson " Its stupid....I HATE IT !" and age has nothing to do with that part, does it......That IS a great photo Paula , we are all young at our ages now.....and having bc isnt going to change that, yes ????!!!!!!

I agree that anyone from any thread anywhere anytime should join us and read and ask and talk for anything we can help with just as I would go to other threads if I were looking for something specific......I have read some of the hormone boards about Arimidex but decided to come to my own conclusions.

Here is some of what I know from my own Drs about the Arimidex......if you start your therapy with a strong normal Dexascan you have a much smaller chance of bone loss.....if you start with osteopenia or osteoporosis the concerns and precautions are much greater. I have a normal Dexascan and so I was advised to take Calcium 1200mg, Magnesium 500mg, Vit D-3 1000U plus fish oil and I have added glucosamine. This should offer me enough protection to stay out of bone loss danger.....actuality remains to be seen but I believe it. Fish oil and diet should help cholesterol......and weight, well, I am going to struggle with that forever anyways so I will just work a little harder.

*giggling* a little at mzmiller.......

I got a statement today.....insurance pending for treatments......very healthy six figure number.....enough to raise my stress level LOTS.....going back to the gotta have insurance issue, and now gotta hope it pays. Did any of you have Mammosite ? what makes Femara harder than Arimidex, does anyone know ?????

be happy, be healthy

jan

A life lived in fear....is a life half lived. Dx 12/1/2008, IDC, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Feb 23, 2009 06:41PM klp wrote:

My Dexascan in June was better than the previous one a few years before that. I had the D3 test and I scored a 74 so my Vit. D level is very good. I take calcium, fish oil, glucosamine, COQ10, folic acid, B-complex, C and D..I'm sure there is more but that's a start. I also walk my dog every day and go to Curve's 3x/week for a workout...

I guess so far I'm the oldest one on this board...bully for me..heehee

I had 33 radiation tx but no Mammosite..going tomorrow to rad doc for checkup. I had no burning, redness or anything from the radiation.

I feel very blessed to go thru this breast cancer experience without problems. When I read and hear about others especially the young ones it makes me very sad. 

Lumpectomy,SNB, 33 rads Oncotype DX 5...no chemo!!!! Started Tamoxifen and stopped almost 3 years later.. Dx 10/10/2008, IDC, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 2, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Feb 23, 2009 06:46PM Marple wrote:

Hugs klp.

Dx 2006, IDC, Stage IIB, Grade 2, 1/14 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Feb 23, 2009 07:01PM swimangel72 wrote:

Hi - I love the idea of this forum for women who are naturally post-menopausal. I'm 54, was dx'd last year at 53 and was postmenopausal from the age of 48. My oncologist put me on Arimidex - and so far, no real SEs (since last September).......originally I was very vocal against Tamoxifen because I read it increases your risk for endometrial cancer - and I already had a thickened endometrium. Seems the Arimidex has also solved that problem - which is a GOOD SE! I'll be finishing my Herceptin tx's in April - yay! but still have to go through Stage 2 of my free-tram reconstruction and also opened abdominal surgery in July to repair a very large hernia (the result of the MRSA staph infection I got at the hospital last year.) At that time they'll also be taking out my gall bladder - so while I'm not very worried about a cancer recurrence as of now, I'm extremely worried about getting another MRSA infection during these surgeries! MRSA kills more people in the US than Aids..........and the CDC and hospitals are NOT taking it very seriously! Sorry to get on my soapbox about this everyone.......I'm happy to be part of this forum!

Bonnie I also ended up with Stage 1 lymphedema in my right arm - it started with painful cording which was only relieved when I found a certified LE therapist. She was wonderful - fortunately my insurance paid for everything (but not for my sleeve for some reason.)

My DH has been my rock - and also my comedian! He makes me laugh and that has been the best medicine for me! Also my kids have been so wonderful - without them I'd only be half the person I am now. I have two daughters in college and a 16 -year-old son. He's my "movie-buddy" since my DH isn't fond of the movies (he gets too sleepy). I saw the Dark Knight with my son - and I can see why Heath Ledger got an Oscar - he truly deserved it  (may he rest in peace) even if I wasn't crazy about the movie itself - too much plot, too many characters and too much action.

Talk to you all later!

3/3/08 Right-side mastectomy with immediate muscle-sparing free tram; 3/9/08 Developed abdominal MRSA staph infection and hernia;Completed 4 months Navelbine and 1 year Herceptin; Arimidex - 3 more years! Diagnosed at age 53 Dx 2/5/2008, IDC, Right, <1cm, Stage IB, Grade 1, 0/7 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+,

Feb 23, 2009 07:11PM samedaynurseJan wrote:

A Quick note before I retire the computer for tonight.....

I truly hope Administration keeps an eye on this thread.....sees how we have all flocked to it....how positive and welcoming this group is and will be and reconsiders a thread for us under any name they choose to give us.....I was hoping that with the demise of the Political threads there might be room for us now.......if not, we can make ourselves very much at home right here.

What a great group of women.......

SwimAngel.....I so sympathize with your experience with MRSA....its one of the best reasons I have for working where I do and not at the hospital anymore, dont be afraid to speak up as to what you expect from your health care workers we are all expecting to hear it now...and should. My mom got C Diff on her last hospital stay, another hospital friendly infection.

Kathy....Im with you about feeling blessed....totally.....scared still....but blessed for sure.

Nite nite

jan

A life lived in fear....is a life half lived. Dx 12/1/2008, IDC, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Feb 23, 2009 07:34PM - edited Feb 23, 2009 07:37PM by Sierra

Hi Gals:

wow, nice thread and nice to see a few mature sisters

I still get hot flashes at night

and as for the cold.. I live in Canada

and have to wear nearly 3 scarves.. I really feel

the cold a great deal now

best to all wherever you are on the path

Sierra :))

ps.. Can any of you tell me if you are single, divorced or married?

I am on my own more or less :)
The Time is Now! Dx 1/2000, 3cm, Stage IIB, Grade 3, 1/14 nodes, ER-/PR-

Feb 23, 2009 08:01PM mzmiller99 wrote:

Sierra - I'm married to my mom!!!  She lives with me and when I get home from school, she's got chicken and biscuits on the table and the floors swept!!  The best thing is, that I don't have to sleep with her!!  Wink

And, I really do like this group of veteran warrior women!  I hope we can stay together.

Susan IMRT 09/08, Oncotype DX 15, Aromasin 03/09 Dx 6/16/2008, IDC, <1cm, Stage I, Grade 3, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Page 5 of 4,142 (41,419 results)

Scroll to top button