Join Us

We are 218,658 members in 84 forums discussing 161,161 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: Can we have a forum for "older" people with bc?

Forum: Older Than 60 Years Old With Breast Cancer —

Meet other women who are similar in age and dealing with age-appropriate issues.

Posted on: Feb 7, 2009 06:29PM

Northstar wrote:

I am an "older" woman with breast cancer (I was diagnosed at 65 and am now 66).  I notice that most of the posts seem to be from people younger than I am (often by quite a bit...).   I'd love to "talk" with others my age, exchange info about their diagnoses, effects on their lives, etc.   I see that there is a forum for young women.

Someone suggested that maybe it's that older people aren't so computer-savvy or aren't used to being in online discussion groups.   However, for those who are, it would be great. 

DX 8/15/08, ILC, 5.1 cm, Stage IIb, Grade 1, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-, Oncotype DX 11.

Page 6 of 1,266 (37,978 results)

Posts 151 - 180 (37,978 total)

Feb 26, 2009 12:40PM klp wrote:

Jo...go to edit your profile, the page where it mentions public profile. Go down to the bottom of page to the "signature" line and just start typing in the info...

Lumpectomy,SNB, 33 rads Oncotype DX 5...no chemo!!!! Started Tamoxifen and stopped almost 3 years later.. Dx 10/10/2008, IDC, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 2, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Feb 26, 2009 12:41PM - edited Feb 26, 2009 01:25PM by JO-5

It's me again!

I figured it out! You go to Edit My Profile scroll down to Signature and type in anything you want there then hit save!

The new info won't change on all your old posts --- but will show on all the new posts!

JO

IDC 04 Stage 1 Grd 3 no nodes Lumpectomy rads plus boosts ER+PR+HER- AI 5 yr 2014 secondary angiosarcoma from rads lumpectomy recurrence 1 yr Mastectomy with lat flap 1/2 flap went necrotic skin graft to center of chest.

Feb 26, 2009 12:46PM Marple wrote:

Klp, how do you show where you are from by your avatar?

Dx 2006, IDC, Stage IIB, Grade 2, 1/14 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Feb 26, 2009 12:46PM JO-5 wrote:

klp,

You and I must have been typing at the same time! Thanks -----

JO

IDC 04 Stage 1 Grd 3 no nodes Lumpectomy rads plus boosts ER+PR+HER- AI 5 yr 2014 secondary angiosarcoma from rads lumpectomy recurrence 1 yr Mastectomy with lat flap 1/2 flap went necrotic skin graft to center of chest.

Feb 26, 2009 12:48PM GramE wrote:

I am "only" 63, 62 when diagnosed, but also am concerned with a quality/quantity of life debate.  I had dose dense chemo before surgery, lump and sentinel node biopsy in December , and am taking Herceptin every 3 weeks.   The chemo zapped the tumor and I had to go for a re excision to get a full 2 mm clear margins.  The first only got 1 mm clear margins.  I insisted on Deep Conscious Sedation versus full knock out anesthesia and my surgeon was very comfortable with it.   My SNB was clear, so no further node surgery was necessary.  I have a port, which I got after my first of 16 chemo treatments.  

I have refused radiation for many reasons:  I have 30% use of my dominant hand from previous reconstructive surgeries from a car wreck (NOT my fault), had a frozen shoulder when caring for my husband and mother, live alone, and IF I should have a recurrence, I am prepared for bi lateral mastectomy. It is not that I am trying to get off with an easy procedure, because this has not been easy, but is IS doable.   Tuesday is 10 months since I was diagnosed and it seems like I have had to put medical at the top of my "To Do" list.   I was diagnosed 3 weeks before my only son's wedding.   

As much as I try not to obsess over this, it is hard not to look at the calendar and see "herceptin" or blood work, Mammo, or MUGA, or whatever other medical appointment I need for that particular month.    But I am trying to keep a positive mood and I am good to myself when I have the energy and finances. Hugs and prayers,   Nancy

Feb 26, 2009 12:54PM Britt wrote:

Hi everyone -

This is an interesting thread - I am 51, will turn 52 in two weeks, and am still getting my period! It's interesting to read about everyone's different perspectives from the "50 and over" group.  I, too, am a member of AARP,  single, no kids, recently ended a five year on and off relationship, and my mom and I live together - we are more like sisters and best friends than mother and daughter, and she has been my rock throughout this entire ordeal!  If anyone is interested and starting chemo in March 2009, I have started a thread where I have insisted that AGE is NOT an issue!   We have quite a diverse group there - several women in their sixties - and it is very upbeat and we discuss everything and anything.  But it's great to find a thread where women in our age group can share our special and unique concerns.

Best wishes to all -

Maria (am I still allowed to visit even though I am pre-menopausal?Cry

Britt/Xena the Warrior Princess Dx 11/24/2008, IDC, 2cm, Stage IIB, Grade 2, 1/11 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Feb 26, 2009 12:56PM - edited Feb 26, 2009 01:35PM by JO-5

Nancy,

I always said, If I ever got BC that I would have a mastectomy ---but when it happened -- it turned out differently.

I'm saying that to say this ---- we all, no matter our age, have to decide what is best for us and quality of life is vey important.

You have certainly had a hard time with this Beast ! Clear nodes is a good thing!

I DON'T THINK ANY OF US ON THIS THREAD WOULD EXCLUDE ANY ONE!  Wink

God bless and meet your needs!

JO

Feb 26, 2009 01:06PM klp wrote:

Sharon...you mean how do you put in your state, country, whatever?? On "edit your profile" there is a place to show your location

Lumpectomy,SNB, 33 rads Oncotype DX 5...no chemo!!!! Started Tamoxifen and stopped almost 3 years later.. Dx 10/10/2008, IDC, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 2, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Feb 26, 2009 01:45PM Marple wrote:

Yes klp. Thanks that's what I mean........so tried it.  Here goes.

Feb 26, 2009 01:46PM Marple wrote:

LOLOL, well there you go.  Thanks again.

Feb 26, 2009 01:48PM Marple wrote:

Sheesh, where is the thread for the computer challanged?

Feb 26, 2009 01:49PM klp wrote:

Congrats Sharon!!!!! Now we all know where you liveWink

Feb 26, 2009 02:00PM Marple wrote:

Hahahaha, well come on over.

Feb 26, 2009 02:15PM klp wrote:

I don't have a passport..and I can't leave my doggie..thanks anywayLaughing

Feb 26, 2009 02:34PM Sierra wrote:

Hi gals:

golly, I can not keep up with all the posts

but wanted to send special thoughts

for those with Moms in their eighties

They are so spirited and it is not easy

wishing them well and you too

re:  N Home. yes I meant Nursing Home

back later

dont have a computer

so hit and miss

Hugs, Sierra

The Time is Now! Dx 1/2000, 3cm, Stage IIB, Grade 3, 1/14 nodes, ER-/PR-

Feb 26, 2009 02:36PM - edited Feb 26, 2009 02:37PM by Sierra

This Post was deleted by Sierra.

Feb 26, 2009 02:40PM Sierra wrote:

Hi Gals:

Another post here,

just wanted to ask if anyone here

lived in San Fran during the Hippy days

I did.. we could compare notes

send me a PM if you did

it was soooo much FUN!

Sierra :)

Feb 26, 2009 02:52PM Marple wrote:

Klp, well we are a great pair then 'cause although I've left my dog in a kennel he's older now and I'm less inclined to plus I don't have a passport either.  I couldn't afford the health ins. needed if I left my country.

Feb 26, 2009 02:56PM klp wrote:

Hey Sharon guess we are stuck in our own countries..oh well. I did make it to Lake Louise and British Colombia eons ago..closest I've been.

Feb 26, 2009 03:25PM Motherof7 wrote:

JO-5

You say you have been on Arimidex for awhile. What kind of side effects do you have? I already have osteoporis, my Dr. says it will make my bones weak. I crushed the ball in my hip in Oct. 2008, had to have it replaced, my bone density test was really bad. I am a little afaird of the Arimidex. I also read where some women get a lot of belly fat. I am 65, I walk each day. I just want to know if any of you ladies have had any problems with the Arimidex? Also, in some of my reasearch, there is a Dr. at Wayne University who has developed a vaccine for the positive hormone receptors, she tried it out on mice and it worked. I just don't know if it has been tried on humans yet. I would be willing to try it out. I live right on the border of GA/FL. I go to the cancer center in Valdosta, GA. I would appreciate any info any of you have. You all will be in my prayers.

Dx 12/8/2008, 1cm, Stage I, 0/3 nodes, HER2+

Feb 26, 2009 04:01PM - edited Feb 26, 2009 04:15PM by JO-5

Motherof7,

I have had joint and muscle aches and pains/ nausea/ headaches/ mood swings/ insomnia/ skin issues/ sore throat/ high BP (never before Arimidex) and my cholest. is higher. YellFrownWink

In 06 I had laproscp. surgery on my knee (cart. torn on both sides of right knee) and I do not think that was from Arimidex because I've had knee problems for years! I take meds for the BP but not for the cholest. (afraid of liver damage and have heard it can cause joint pain, also) I am trying to keep that down with diet. (Not having much luck yet.) I lost 5 pounds and put it right back on.

Now -- let me assure you NOT EVERYONE HAS SEs AND NONE OF THE ONES I MENTIONED LAST LONG - EXCEPT FOR THE JOINT PAIN, AND THEY DON'T ALL COME AT ONCE, and I would rather treat the side effects than cancer.

MY Dr. told me that if my bone density was bad he would put me on Boniva or something similar. I know a lot of ladies that had to go off the Arimidex and switch to Tamox. because Tamox is not as hard on the bones....... also there are lot of different AIs out there.

As for the vaccine ---- sorry no trials for me. I have so much trouble w/ meds that I can't take the chance. We are just very thankful that I am able to tolerate the Arimidex.

I hope you get some answers and pray for wisdom for you and the Drs. because you have some issues that I don't have - so in your shoes I can't say what I would do ---- but not a trial (for sure)

JO

Feb 26, 2009 05:34PM - edited Feb 26, 2009 05:40PM by Northstar

Hey, everyone,

When I first posted the question about having a forum for "older" bc people on Feb. 7, I got exactly 2 responses, so I kinda gave up and went to some other forums and wasn't on the discussion groups much. 

Today I logged on and found 150 more responses!!!  Laughing  I love it!!!  

So, Moderator(s), can we please have this as a forum, maybe called "Older People (or Women) with Breast Cancer???

I definitely think that if there's a forum for "Young Women with Breast Cancer," it is a little bit ageist (or something equally discriminatory) not to have a forum for us older ones.   What do ya'll think??

I suggest that we just leave that as the title of the forum and let people self-select.  

I haven't even read all these posts yet.

I finished radiation Jan. 7 and am back at work (I only work part-time anyway) and doing my pottery--we have a show coming up.    I am taking tamoxifen (my onc. says that the protocol now is for 2 years of tam. and then an aromatase inhibitor. 

Thanks for all your responses and you go girls!!!!   Northstar

DX 8/15/08, ILC, 5.1 cm, Stage IIb, Grade 1, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-, Oncotype DX 11.

Feb 26, 2009 05:53PM Marple wrote:

I apologize for the lack of responce when you first posted Northstar.   Obviously it is a good idea.  Hugs.

Feb 26, 2009 06:06PM klp wrote:

Hi Northstar...I responded right away and then you disappeared...thanks for starting this thread. It has really been fun and interesting.

Glad you returned to see what you startedSurprised

Feb 26, 2009 06:57PM JO-5 wrote:

HEY THERE NORTHSTAR!

I even posted a new thread asking where you were ---- but it got wayyyyyy down the line.

You started something good with this as you can tell by all the ladies that have been posting.

If they don't give us a Forum --- this is working just fine!

Welcome back and congrats on finishing radiation and being back to work!

Looking forward to hearing from you often!

JO

Feb 26, 2009 07:12PM SoCalLisa wrote:

Hi everyone..I am 66 years young, but am too old to be a boomer..

I was diagnosed over eight years ago...in right breast

I had a lumpectomy, six months of chemo. another DX so mastectomy...then a year of

tamoxifen and then another biopsy in the other breast with ADH so another lumpectomey..then four years of

arimidex... I finished up with that almost three years ago...

My mother said she didn't feel old until I went on Medicare...lol..

Biography: DX 11/2000 LCIS,DCIS,IDC 2B, Grade 1, ER+,PR+ Her2Neg 1 pos node Lumptectomy, CMF chemo X 6 mos, DX 8/2001, IDC same breast--Mastectomy , Left Breast Lumpectomy... Tamoxifen, one year...Armidex, Four years

Feb 26, 2009 07:14PM - edited Mar 2, 2009 07:10AM by Peggle

Enjoy life one day at a time

Feb 26, 2009 07:30PM SoCalLisa wrote:

You are right...it does make a difference...I would absolutely NOT do chemo again

It was a three year ordeal with all the side effects...

Biography: DX 11/2000 LCIS,DCIS,IDC 2B, Grade 1, ER+,PR+ Her2Neg 1 pos node Lumptectomy, CMF chemo X 6 mos, DX 8/2001, IDC same breast--Mastectomy , Left Breast Lumpectomy... Tamoxifen, one year...Armidex, Four years

Feb 26, 2009 07:30PM - edited Feb 26, 2009 07:35PM by klp

Luckily my Oncotype DX score was very low so I never had chemo. I don't know how I would react if I was faced with chemo in the first place.

Feb 26, 2009 07:45PM JO-5 wrote:

I didn't have chemo ---- so I don't know the answer to that. I do know that we can't say what we will do at any given time.

As I've said on here before -- I always vowed that in the event of BC - I would have a mastectomy and when it came down to it --- I changed my mind.

I think I woud do whatever I could to beat this beast at whatever age --- but then since I have not experienced chemo ---- I can't really say!

JO

Page 6 of 1,266 (37,978 results)