Log in to post a reply
Feb 26, 2009 09:29PM
Thanks, swimangel, for sharing. I really do know all the pros and cons of this surgery. I would give anything if I didn't have this decision to make, but, for me, I think the bilat mx is the only way I can live my life with a little bit of peace. I've worried about ovarian cancer for 20 yrs. My mom died of oc. I have one maternal aunt died of bc. Presently, 3 first maternal cousins with bc. Cancer is well known in my family, so my onc recommended the genetic testing. It came back negative!! She was happy about that and I felt I was blessed. Then, went to Johns Hopkins Breast center and the surgeon, after reading my files, said she was sure if there were another test for more genes, which they haven't identified, that I would be positive for one of those. AFTER I told her my decision, she said she'd do the same thing and thought I'd made the right decision.. Ok, I've read on here where ALL surgeons say that..
I also feel blessed that I don't have to do chemo or radiation. I also know if DCIS comes back, it will come back as invasive cancer, THEN I would have to have chemo. I guess what I'm saying is that I feel I'm doing all I can do NOW to hopefully avoid a reccurance.
I also know the cancer can come back in other organs, but if it does, I will know I did all I could to try to avoid it. With my lumpectomy, and if I do nothing further, and it comes back, I'll kick myself knowing I may have avoided a reccurance.
I have a friend who just went thru lumpectomy and radiation. THEN, had a mammo., 2 MRI's and ultrasounds--all clean. They told her she was cancer free in Oct 08. However, the radiation made a mess of her already small breast, so she decided on a mx for it. She had it, pathology report came back--more cancer cells. Now, she's having a hard time with this and wondering what to do with the 'healthy' breast.
My surgeon at J. Hopkins told me that I had to make my decision based on what I thought I could handle. 3 month or 6 month mammo's, MRI's......then if anything suspicious, waiting for results, yada yada yada......I can't live like that. I have about fell apart with this dx in January. This has worn me down to a pulp.. If I had to live with that fear, I know my body would always be run down. With being run down, my immune system wouldn't be able to fight off any cancer cells. If I take away the probability of reccurance, I feel I can get on with my life.
Yes, I will always have the fear of reccuring cancer. It has already changed my life, but I have to do what I think will be best for my peace of mind. I know we're all different. We all make different decisions. I pray this is the right one for me. I already grieve for my breasts, but in my mind, it's better than giving my life.
I'm so sorry you aren't happy with your decision. I wish we could all be happy with whatever we decide, I wish there was a cut and dry 'right' answer for all of us.
I'm just taken back by all the people on this site. I couldn't believe so many women have been stricken by this disease.
If God leads you TO it, he'll lead you THRU it!
1/2/2008, DCIS, 1cm, Stage 0, Grade 3, 0/1 nodes, ER+