Join Us

We are 221,289 members in 83 forums discussing 161,929 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: Can we have a forum for "older" people with bc?

Forum: Older Than 60 Years Old With Breast Cancer —

Meet other women who are similar in age and dealing with age-appropriate issues.

Posted on: Feb 7, 2009 06:29PM

Northstar wrote:

I am an "older" woman with breast cancer (I was diagnosed at 65 and am now 66).  I notice that most of the posts seem to be from people younger than I am (often by quite a bit...).   I'd love to "talk" with others my age, exchange info about their diagnoses, effects on their lives, etc.   I see that there is a forum for young women.

Someone suggested that maybe it's that older people aren't so computer-savvy or aren't used to being in online discussion groups.   However, for those who are, it would be great. 

DX 8/15/08, ILC, 5.1 cm, Stage IIb, Grade 1, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-, Oncotype DX 11.

Page 9 of 1,301 (39,018 results)

Posts 241 - 270 (39,018 total)

Feb 27, 2009 07:16PM PhyllisCC wrote:

Hey guys,

I was dx at 56, am now 58 so guess I qualify.  Although I think anyone who wants to join should be able.  Reading all these post for us "older" girls is so helpful; but I also read a lot of the other forums and find them helpful too.  But anyway I'm sure you all realize that you HAVE set up a forum for older folks.  We have more topics and "hits" than a lot of the established forums.  And if the mods don't want to set up a separate one...we can can continue here.  Thanks to all of you keeping this thread alive.  I guess I must be computer savy... I figured out how to put a pic on right away... the rest of the stuff?  I'm still learning.  Thanks for sharing-- it really helps.  Phyllis

Feb 27, 2009 07:23PM JO-5 wrote:

Facecrafter,

I think --- Arimidex is supposed to lower the Estrogen in your body / while Tamox blocks the action of Estrogen in the body.

It reduces the risk of hormone receptor positive breast cancer from coming back.

Some of the nurses on here might be able to explain it better.

Meanwhile, if you go to the very top of this message board and click on TREATMENTS AND SIDE EFFECTS --- then on the left click on HORMONAL THERAPY it will explain it in depth.

Hope this helps!

JO

IDC 04 Stage 1 Grd 3 no nodes Lumpectomy rads plus boosts ER+PR+HER- AI 5 yr 2014 secondary angiosarcoma from rads lumpectomy recurrence 1 yr Mastectomy with lat flap 1/2 flap went necrotic skin graft to center of chest.

Feb 27, 2009 07:27PM JO-5 wrote:

Phyllis,

You've got me beat --- I even wrote down the instructions and thought I did everything right --- but still no picture!

I really tried, too, because I decided who in the world would care about a grey haired old lady! ????  Until I figure this out --- just use your imagination!  lol lol lol

JO

IDC 04 Stage 1 Grd 3 no nodes Lumpectomy rads plus boosts ER+PR+HER- AI 5 yr 2014 secondary angiosarcoma from rads lumpectomy recurrence 1 yr Mastectomy with lat flap 1/2 flap went necrotic skin graft to center of chest.

Feb 27, 2009 07:33PM - edited Feb 28, 2009 10:52AM by JO-5

deleted by jo

JO - Lumpectomy w/ clear margins- 36rads w/boosts - cellulitis 3x - mild arm LE - Breast LE w/ rad. fibrosis IF EVERYTHING MADE SENSE AND WE UNDERSTOOD ALL THE REASONS - FROM WHERE WOULD COME THE TRUST?
Dx 4/4/2004, IDC, , Stage I, Grade 3, 0/16 nodes, ER+/PR+

Feb 27, 2009 07:37PM PhyllisCC wrote:

Jo,

Your picture is there!... and what a great shot..andLaughing a great smile.  Me... I still think the Hawaiian sunset looks better than me!  We'll figure all this computer stuff out... sooner or later.  Take care.  Phyllis  (woops...I figured out the smilies )

Feb 27, 2009 07:43PM - edited Feb 28, 2009 01:14PM by swimangel72

Northstar what a beautiful kittie you have - what's his name? We have two cats in our house - Skippy is 14 years old and slowing down - Bucky is just 2 years old. He acts more like a dog than a cat - follows me EVERYWHERE!

Hi again JO - you really do NOT have to worry about having your photo online here at bc.org............as I said before, only registered users can see your avatar. Any guests who pop in won't see it. So I hope you can upload a photo.  By the way - Google your own name and see if anything shows up. I google information about MRSA and breast cancer all the time - and what do you think shows up but my own posts that I've made here at bc.org! Surprised So now I tell myself to be careful about what I write here -  the safest philosophy is - don't say anything you wouldn't want to say to someone's face or to hear repeated behind your back.

Hi Judy - and welcome! You seem to really have a good handle on your treatment and doctors, which is fantastic. I must say I was SHOCKED when my ob/gyn first told me that it was an over-abundance of estrogen that was fueling the thickening of my endometrial lining (this was a year before I was dx'd with bc.) I was post-menopausal since the age of 48.......so I asked her in all innocence, "where's the estrogen coming from?" and she said, "body fat." I nearly fell off my chair! I had always prided myself on my knowledge of women's reproduction (remember that old book, "Our Bodies, Our Selves").........so I couldn't believe that I never knew this fact. All these years going to doctors including the ob/gyn and NOT ONE OF THEM ever told me there was a relationship between body fat and estrogen! Not that I'm obese - I was actually very much in shape my whole life until menopause struck (at the same time I started sitting more in front of a computer)..........but I felt very ANGRY that my doctors never once advised me to lose weight in order to lower my bc risk. But now I realize - that's only one part of the story. Just like now they're saying that any alcohol consumption increases your risk for bc.........I DON"T DRINK.......yet I got bc. I did drink and party many years ago before I was married and before I had children in my 20's. I have to wonder if THAT didn't put me at an increase risk.........the way they say taking birth control pills before you have your first child is more damaging than AFTER you have a child since your breasts are more "unformed". I believe that researchers will find out this is true.........just the way they have discovered that exposure to DDT before you have breasts can increase your risk of bc.

A secret about me..........I've been in love with Justin Hayward of The Moody Blues since I was 17 years old!  Check out this old music video of "I Know You're Out There Somewhere"...........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSyRFLlYnWI&feature=PlayList&p=FD943F0F7CBA4DBA&playnext=1&index=19

Anyone else want to share their favorite musicians/heart-throbs?

3/3/08 Right-side mastectomy with immediate muscle-sparing free tram; 3/9/08 Developed abdominal MRSA staph infection and hernia;Completed 4 months Navelbine and 1 year Herceptin; Arimidex - 3 more years! Diagnosed at age 53 Dx 2/5/2008, IDC, Right, <1cm, Stage IB, Grade 1, 0/7 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+ (FISH)

Feb 27, 2009 07:44PM mzmiller99 wrote:

Northstar - what a sweet baby furface!!

Jo- you are gorgeous!  What beautiful hair! 

I hope we become a forum, too.  We have a great group here.

Just think, if we put our life time experiences together, it would probably go back to prehistoric times! 

Now that I've thought about what I just wrote, I wonder where the h*ll the thought came from?!  Must be this nonstop rain!  Or the kindergartener who told me I smelled like fish slobber today!  We finally decided that it was my new silk knit sweater!! 

However, I couldn't stop sniffing "down there", just in case!!

Susan IMRT 09/08, Oncotype DX 15, Aromasin 03/09 Dx 6/16/2008, IDC, <1cm, Stage I, Grade 3, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Feb 27, 2009 07:46PM swimangel72 wrote:

Wow JO - great photo! I took soooo long writing my post and finding Justin Hayward's picture that you beat me to the punch! Lol! And Judy I love your new picture too! Phyllis - it's nice to meet you too! Big hug
3/3/08 Right-side mastectomy with immediate muscle-sparing free tram; 3/9/08 Developed abdominal MRSA staph infection and hernia;Completed 4 months Navelbine and 1 year Herceptin; Arimidex - 3 more years! Diagnosed at age 53 Dx 2/5/2008, IDC, Right, <1cm, Stage IB, Grade 1, 0/7 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+ (FISH)

Feb 27, 2009 07:58PM Northstar wrote:

Hey, swimangel and mzmiller (and anyone else....),

My little love-cat is called "Pippin," since we read our boys The Hobbit when they were little.   He is also like a little dog--watches us, follows us, sleeps on our bed, and even plays peek-a-boo and go fetch.   When our 19-year-old cat had to be put to sleep last year (whole nother sad story), I thought maybe I wanted a dog, but my husband wisely noted that dogs have to be walked in all kinds of weather a couple of times a day.  So, we have a dog-cat!    I have heard that stroking an animal increases the serotonin in your brain.   I must have a lot, then. 

DX 8/15/08, ILC, 5.1 cm, Stage IIb, Grade 1, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-, Oncotype DX 11.

Feb 27, 2009 08:01PM swimangel72 wrote:

Pippin is the PERFECT name! Yes, "a dog-cat" that's our Bucky too! Lol! Oh and Susan - I HATE that smell from silk sweaters..........especially those dyed black. I had to wash and wash a brand new sweater to get rid of the smell.........and it only went away when all the dye was nearly gone! Lol! doh!

Feb 27, 2009 08:32PM FACECRAFTER wrote:

JO-what a great smile! and hair!  swimangel nice to meet you too. Hard to keep track of everyone here.Laughing but hello everyone!!  JUDY 
Ring the bells that still can ring. Forget your perfect offering. There's a crack in everything. That's how the light gets in. JUDY Dx 8/18/2008, IDC, 2cm, Stage IIB, Grade 3, 5/21 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2-

Feb 27, 2009 08:34PM FACECRAFTER wrote:

Hey, never knew about the fat!  Maybe that's why..I had a gastric bypass 10 years ago and lost 100 lbs!  Must have increased my risk quite a bit.  But I do have it in family-- mother, both maternal aunts, father with esophagel cancer, I was doomed from the start...

Ring the bells that still can ring. Forget your perfect offering. There's a crack in everything. That's how the light gets in. JUDY Dx 8/18/2008, IDC, 2cm, Stage IIB, Grade 3, 5/21 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2-

Feb 27, 2009 08:51PM samedaynurseJan wrote:

oooooooooooooooo JO.....your picture is wonderful just like you ! I knew you could do it.....you look exactly as I expected....*bigsmile* backatcha.....

I wish I could be the voice of knowledge about all the estrogen answers here but like all of us Im still learning. I am planning on going to an Education and Enrichment Class on hormone therapy which is supposed to answer all the questions about our meds and what they do and also about the NEW MEDS that are on the horizon for us ( I didnt even know there were any.....) soooooooo after I go to this (I will take notes) maybe I will have some good stuff for us......I also just found out about a Mindfulness Clinical Study that I may be eligible for sometime this year I wish some of you lived here so we could go together...Im not sure I want to go back to being a bc something or other but I just read a great Anticancer Lifestyle article in the new AARP (grin) magazine and what does it talk about but Mindfulness and how good it is for us and for our long term survival so if I decide to do it I'll share that information too.

Welcome to any of the ladies from the Illinois board who find their way here....you will love these women , they are awesome !!!!

jan

A life lived in fear....is a life half lived. Dx 12/1/2008, IDC, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Feb 27, 2009 09:02PM bluewillow wrote:

I just love this thread-- thank you Northstar!  And I love everyone's photos!!  You all are a great group of ladies!

This is me after my first post-chemo haircut, taken about two weeks ago.  I already need another trim.  I may go with a spikier look next time-- what do you all think?  Hugs to all!

Nana of Mason, Hayden, and Addison~Lumpectomy, Re-excision, SNB, AC/Taxol, Radiation, 1 yr Herceptin Dx 7/26/2007, IDC, <1cm, Stage I, Grade 3, 0/4 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2+

Feb 27, 2009 09:06PM IllinoisLady wrote:

Hi everyone here.  Same Day Nurse Jan was on the Illinois thread I post on all the time.  I am 63 and feel like I could come here often ( probably daily like I do my 'home' thread ) to see what is new.  My diagnosis is below in my signature.  I had Papillary cancer --- one of the truly lazy cancers --- one almost wonders that it grows at all --- but lo and behold in the same breast not far away was a big bruise and hiding under the bruise during the lumpectomy for the Papillary cancer my surgeon ( a Professor from Southern Illinois University )  found a second much larger cancer, Ductal Carcinoma.  What a major surprise but she saved my life.  I think some surgeons would have lifted out the bruise and pretty much went on....Dr. Ryan kept checking to assure herself that all was fine.  All was obviously not fine.  That changed my after treatment to 6 mos. of  chemotherapy and 7 weeks of radiation.  Can't believe it....my hair came in darker than it was.  Oh well. 

I'm on Arimides for the next five years and doing well with it.  The worst thing I've noticed is a strange pins and needles reaction  ( similar to a quick hot flash since the pins and needles doesn't last long )  and I tend to clomp around in the morning when I first get up.....almost like my feet are asleep or something, but that goes way after a short while.  Not much of anything else.....a few warm moments now and then but nothing that is truly bothersome....more surprising.

Although I am 63 I don't feel even close to that age.....though during chemo I often felt much, much older.  In a strange way.....the older I do get the younger I seem to feel.  It is just a number and gets the importance we give it and guess I look at it as mainly positive ( give me my darn discount, please ) and I just refuse to be less than I have to be or want to be just because of a number. 

I need to work on some weight issues though I did ( certainly the wrong way ) lose 38 pounds during chemo.  Tried to be in charge but it just did not work out well  ---  often the thought of food was so repulsive that I couldn't get much down.  Going to mainly go back to South Beach style eating and hope to start walking a lot again.  Not only is it a fantastic exercise but I think there is something that can happen to walkers --- like the runner's high.  An energetic feeling that in turn is so serene and making you feel you can handle anything that comes along.  I miss my walking.  We live out in the country so it is quite easy to take off and do a couple of miles easy.

Hope this thread is able to stay here.  I have inserted it in my favorites with that hope.  The BC org. was what kept me going through my journey so far and for that reason I would not like for anyone to be denied, but I do think sometimes there might be differences of perspectives for those who have attained a little more numbers than others. 

I'm sure I'll b checking back here later.

Jackie

Each day I am thankful for nights that turned into mornings, friends that turned into family, dreams that turned into reality and likes that turned into love. ~~~Elizabeth Kuebler-Ross Dx 9/27/2007, IDC, 5cm, Stage II, Grade 3, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2-

Feb 27, 2009 09:07PM samedaynurseJan wrote:

bluewillow....I think Mason is adorable and I think you look positively great....I sort of like your hair just the way it is but for what you've been through if you want to try an edgier look then I say go for it....as we all know....its JUST hair, it goes and it comes and it comes and it goes

jan

A life lived in fear....is a life half lived. Dx 12/1/2008, IDC, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Feb 27, 2009 11:28PM - edited Feb 28, 2009 03:02PM by JO-5

OKAY LADIES,

Call me nuts!   Undecided   I googled my user name...... nothing much came up. I googled my user name and then typed breast cancer.

Up popped my picture--and the posts....... Since I don't say any thing on here that I care for the world knowing --- the posts are ok........

Just don't like my picture being out there like that. Yell

It bothers me!  This will be my new picture because I AM JUST AN OLD RAGGEDY ANN IN A BARBIE DOLL WORLD!  Laughing 

After changing my pic...... I tried it again and the posts came up but not my Raggedy Ann. I think what happened was the first time  I didn't log out of the message board - just went back to my home page - then googled. Whatever the reason -- this is how I am going to leave it.

Those of you that saw my pic.... you know who you're talking to --- those of you that didn't --- you haven't missed a thing!  LOL

I guess this is just part of being older and maybe an Old Fuddy Duddy ---- and a lot because of not fully understanding this whole technology! 

Good night all and God bless!

JO

Feb 28, 2009 05:36AM - edited Mar 2, 2009 07:09AM by Peggle

Enjoy life one day at a time

Feb 28, 2009 10:10AM IllinoisLady wrote:

Wow !!!!  I was on PremPro for almost three years and then after total hysterectomy Dr. put me on Premarin.  At one point I ask the Dr. if I could get off the hormones ( I had been hearing negative things ) and he poo-pooed the idea.  Then I had a stroke......and a few months after I had started recovering well, Dr. asked me ----  as though we had never had the original conversation before....if I was ready to go off hormones.  Made me think the test/criteria was.....if nothing bad happens they are OK for YOU.  Then later on I get cancer.  Of course, I could have gotten either of these problems for other reasons too......even though no family history on the cancer or stroke, but I have to think if nothing else it was a major contributor. 

Jackie

Each day I am thankful for nights that turned into mornings, friends that turned into family, dreams that turned into reality and likes that turned into love. ~~~Elizabeth Kuebler-Ross Dx 9/27/2007, IDC, 5cm, Stage II, Grade 3, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2-

Feb 28, 2009 11:51AM JO-5 wrote:

Jan,

I am really looking forward to hearing all about this new study - if you decide to do it!  We will all be waiting to pick your brain!  LOL

JO

Feb 28, 2009 11:53AM - edited Jul 5, 2010 08:36PM by Maire67

This Post was deleted by Maire67.
Dx 6/2005, ILC, Right, 5cm, Stage IIIB, metastasized to bone, 1/9 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+ Hormonal Therapy Aromasin (exemestane), Faslodex (fulvestrant), Femara (letrozole) Surgery Lymph node removal; Mastectomy Chemotherapy AC + T (Taxol) Targeted Therapy Herceptin (trastuzumab)

Feb 28, 2009 12:06PM GramE wrote:

I agree, Maire, about the younger ones.   I find my memory is not the same.   Some words are lost back in their somewhere.   Lady who sits next to me at bingo --over 2 years - I could NOT remember her name.  I started thru the alphabet, A - alice, anita,ann,  agatha, B - barb, betty, C - carol, connie.    Could NOT remember.   Her name is Vickie !!   

I play bridge at least once a week, sometimes 3 times.  It is a concentrated effort - very little talking and I do pretty good at it.  But NO master points games or "hold a grudge" allowed.   We play for fun and when the game is over, it is over.   So far no one had rolled their eyes when they get me as a partner !!!

If someone likes my picture and puts it out there, I say go for it.  They say your mail carrier knows more about you than you do.   I do not look much like my avatar, which I just figured out how to post.   I have hair now !!!      

Feb 28, 2009 12:14PM - edited Feb 28, 2009 03:03PM by JO-5

Maire,

Yep, My picture is just going to stay Raggedy Ann. LOL  I have that little figure and the saying embroidered on the back of a jeans shirt!  (I'm just an Old Raggedy Ann in a Barbie Doll World) .

Can't answer about the chemo brain - didn't have chemo - but I know a lot of ladies that complain about that and someone on here will be able to help you.

I blame my "senior moments" on Arimidex - because I've never been this bad before and it is listed as one of the side effects.

I know Arimidex is not chemo in the way Tax. is but when I mentioned it to my Dr. he said that actually Arimidex is a sort of chemo.

I agree about all the young women w/ BC. It breaks my heart and scares me for our girls. I never realized before I got on here and other message boards how many really young women have BC.

Having said that ---- You should never feel bad  or silly for complaining. No matter what someone else is going through it does not negate or make unimportant what you are going through. We're all just at different places.

God bless!

JO

Feb 28, 2009 12:21PM klp wrote:

I didn't have chemo either but I blame my memory lapses more on getting older than anything else.

Lumpectomy,SNB, 33 rads Oncotype DX 5...no chemo!!!! Started Tamoxifen and stopped almost 3 years later.. Dx 10/10/2008, IDC, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 2, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Feb 28, 2009 12:41PM Sierra wrote:

Hi Ladies:

what a beautiful group of sisters here?

Northstar:  Are you in Maine? by the way

one of my favorite states... just love it

have not been for a while though

so, a few of us on the HRt. odd thing is I stopped it

then started up with it again, but my breasts

were always terribly sore, you could not even

touch.. or it hurt..

Well, I am so happy we are all here

and hope to continue on a good path

Have a great week-end all!

I dont have a picture here

but if anyone wants to see me

write me private

:)))

Hugs, Sierra

The Time is Now! Dx 1/2000, 3cm, Stage IIB, Grade 3, 1/14 nodes, ER-/PR-

Feb 28, 2009 12:47PM Northstar wrote:

Hi, Sierra,

I'm in Massachusetts, but it's close to Maine Smile.   Our Maine Coon cat was born in Massachusetts, too, but he tells me every now and then he'd like to visit Maine just to see what it's like (maybe in spring...). 

I was supposed to get another fill in my expanders Friday afternoon and forgot all about it.   Took a lovely, restful nap instead.    I would blame it on chemo-brain, but I didn't get chemo, so I have no excuse.   Luckily, they said I could come in Monday.   

Moderators, I think we would have even more participants in an "Older" forum if people could find it.   Right now they just stumble across it, and we still have a lot of people participating.   Can we try a real forum for awhile and see how it goes?    We can always eliminate it if there isn't much interest.  

Feb 28, 2009 01:09PM Marple wrote:

Yes, Northstar........I think you are absolutely right.  Please moderators........may we have our own forum?  We're oldies but goodies and deserve to be found more easily.

Dx 2006, IDC, Stage IIB, Grade 2, 1/14 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Feb 28, 2009 01:13PM swimangel72 wrote:

JO that was an excellent experiement with Google - of course your photo appeared if you were still logged into bc.org. To any casual internet surfers who aren't registered and signed in to bc.org they wouldn't be able to see your photo - not even your Raggedy Ann doll (which is adorable!) Kids today are all OVER the internet - I warn my college-age daughters and the kids in the middle school where I work to be careful what they post (especially under-age drinking photos).........especially on Facebook.........even if they immediately remove them, someone could have copied them and then they no longer belong to them. Still - the internet is morphing as we speak - the way kids' brains are morphing, sometimes in unexpected ways (good and bad).

Moderators - where ARE you?

Feb 28, 2009 01:14PM anianiau wrote:

It might be interesting to try sorting out the forum by decade, for example, 50 to 59, 60 to 69. 70 and over. People tend to be dealing with somewhat different issues during those periods. Just a thought, and not meaning to exclude anyone--just make it easier to find...

Dx 10/20/2008, DCIS, 1cm, Stage 0, Grade 3, 0/8 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2+

Feb 28, 2009 02:25PM Mandy1313 wrote:

Hi All

Swimangel mentioned that if you had DDT exposure as a child, you might be more likely to have breast cancer.  This is of interest to me because I have bc and my sister died from bc. I am negative for the BRCA gene and outside of my sister and I, no one in the family has or had bc...not mom, grandmom, aunts, cousins, grandmom's identical twin sister.  Both my sister and I were exposed to DDT as children. We were actually sprayed with it in fear of polio (remember that disease) because in those days they thought it might come from a mosquito.  So if anyone has info about htis, I would be most appreciative you would message me and tell me where I should be reading.  Thanks.

Mandy

PS  I was actually one of the children in the trials for the Salk Polio  Vaccine. I was lucky and got the real vaccine. My friend got the placibo and had to have the 3 shots plus the blood tests. When you are a 7 year old kid, those shots are pretty dramatic.  It became available to the public about 2 years after I got it. I remember this because my parents were desperate to get some for my sister.  

Dx 6/2008, IDC, 1cm, Grade 1, 1/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Page 9 of 1,301 (39,018 results)