We are 191,666 members in 81 forums discussing 142,733 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

All TopicsForum: Older Than 60 Years Old With Breast Cancer → Topic: Can we have a forum for "older" people with bc?

Topic: Can we have a forum for "older" people with bc?

Forum: Older Than 60 Years Old With Breast Cancer —

Meet other women who are similar in age and dealing with age-appropriate issues.

Posted on: Feb 7, 2009 03:29PM

Northstar wrote:

I am an "older" woman with breast cancer (I was diagnosed at 65 and am now 66).  I notice that most of the posts seem to be from people younger than I am (often by quite a bit...).   I'd love to "talk" with others my age, exchange info about their diagnoses, effects on their lives, etc.   I see that there is a forum for young women.

Someone suggested that maybe it's that older people aren't so computer-savvy or aren't used to being in online discussion groups.   However, for those who are, it would be great. 

DX 8/15/08, ILC, 5.1 cm, Stage IIb, Grade 1, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-, Oncotype DX 11.

Page 995 of 1,033 (30,971 results)

Posts 29821 - 29850 (30,971 total)

Mar 18, 2017 12:09PM Chevyboy wrote:

I KNOW.... me TOO! We are always referred to as "Elderly"...!!! And Welcome Celia! You are pretty young.... I thought I was too old at 72 to have breast cancer! But someone once said, "that is good, because when you are older, it doesn't grow as fast."......

I read somewhere.... Oh, it was Sally Fields.... She said "I OFTEN DON'T SEE MYSELF AS OLDER: YOU FORGET BECAUSE INSIDE YOU STAY THE SAME." And that is really the truth! We THINK the same, about everything! We just don't "feel" as good, and "things" just hurt.... And you don't WANT to do a lot of things you used to do.... But I still love to work in my yard & gardens....

Ducky, you are still "young".... I mean young at heart! Our neighbor is 92, and man, she is a spit-fire!!! She is a fiesty little Italian lady! And when she gets mad at something, she lets both barrels go! She just cracks me up! Thank God she can live in an Assisted Living place.... Where they check in on her.... Now they make sure they get up and GO down for their meals.... She cannot say she doesn't feel well.....and get meals in her room.... The place she lives in is great! All kinds of activities, programs, crafts, and she is tickled when she wins a dollar playing Bingo! We see her about once a week.... She still gets her hair done, AND her friends comes to do her nails, and a pedicure....

My neighbor's Mother.... "the chicken neighbors".... Well her Mom would not go get checked out.... Her Husband finally got mad and told her the lump in her breast is growing larger! She finally went for her first Mammogram.... I think she is 62.... Cancer was found in both breasts, and right now she is under-going chemo.... with a port.... And this is beFORE they do surgery! All kinds of tests and scans.... but you would THINK women would KNOW to get a Mammogram every year! And not put it off, thinking it can't happen to them. Don't know why it just kind of makes me sad.... that she would do this to her Daughter's.... They are just devastated.... Kelli cries every time she talks about it. BUT..... Kelli & her Husband Nick are going TO HAVE ANOTHER BABY!!! They have 2 little girls.... Ivy Wren, and Eloise.... 5 & 7....! They are all so excited!

So maybe expecting another baby, will help them all.....

Ducky..... HaaaaaaHAAAAAAaaaaaaaaa! I love "your" pilot! We are such "bad girls" talking and teasing like we do..... ! And what's this? Your friend is "recovering???" from liver cancer? I don't know about any of the drugs they use..... I just know our extended family guy is doing terrible.... Has had a Carcinoid Tumor in his liver.... or I don't understand it really....But for the last few years he has been treated.... But this last few weeks, he has been in and out of the Hospital.... and since I read last night, he is not doing any better.... Mostly comatose, or when he does come out of it, he is agitated.... They sent him home with "home hospice".... but his grown Daughter's are having an awful time, watching this..... I just don't know what to say to them..... My SIL is his wife's Sister.... We don't see them very often at all.... but you just hate to see someone you have known, going downhill so fast.... All you can do is pray for peace.... for all of them.....

That salad sounds so good Jackie! I'll have to make me some! Thanks!

Don't walk ahead of me, I might not follow. Don't walk behind me, I may not want to lead. Just walk beside me & be my friend. Dx 11/2009, IDC, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+

Mar 18, 2017 01:23PM - edited Mar 18, 2017 01:24PM by bonnets

Chevy,

I agree about being called elderly, maybe at 74 on the outside, but not inside! Then there's that old lady who keeps getting in the mirror so you can't see yourself. We've been looking at a community near us that starts at independent living, and you can graduate thru assisted , to full care or dementia unit, pricey though, but guarantees coverage that you dont have insurance for, for the rest of your lives. You invest in a condo, then pay a monthly fee. Offers a lot of programs, a meal a day, cleaning, transportation when you can no longer drive, lots of people to chat with, which DH enjoys. Caneat is you can't get in if either of you are diagnosed with dementia. I worry about this as DH short term memory is not good. Haven't made any decisions yet, of course we hate to sell our little log home. There are pluses and minuses to both situations. CAn't depend on family, even when they offer, they have their own lives. DH doesn't want to live with his daughters family, the only one we have near to us. Hard to believe we are at that "elderly" stage and needing to think about these things.

Had my mammo the other day, everything is OK, asked DD if she had had hers lately, since she also lost a sister to BC. "NO' have too much to do. One thing at a time. Told her I'd bug her , as it can save your life. SHe was not happy about that, will do it but won't be "right now" that can mean next year, but what can I do?

Bonnets Dx 8/30/2012, IDC, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 9/14/2012 Lumpectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Right, Sentinel Radiation Therapy 10/22/2012 Breast

Mar 18, 2017 01:27PM duckyb1 wrote:

Chev, you know who she is...I have spoken of her quite often and showed you all a picture of her..........the had BC at 52, and again 13 years later.......her liver enzymes kept going up and the kept checking since May of 2016.....it went on and they called it bile duct cancer.........discovering that it was an entirely new cancer....not related to her BC........well they operated and removed 40% of her liver which grows back.....not sure what this outcome will be, but needless to say she is concerned but doing ok........you might remember this picture.

Ducky Dx 2/15/2011, IDC, Right, 1cm, Grade 1, 0/8 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Radiation Therapy 4/24/2011 Whole-breast: Breast

Mar 18, 2017 01:42PM ChiSandy wrote:

Sandra, fantastic continuing great news about Mike! And welcome, Celia.

I’m only 66, but I find it really so disconcerting that even after getting my cataracts done so I see clearly, the woman in the mirror looks so much younger than the one in photos or on my computer screen when I have PhotoBooth or FaceTime turned on. Never thought I would want to wear glasses to look younger (cover up the circles & wrinkles and draw the viewer’s eye up and away from the jowls).

Diagnosed at 64 on routine annual mammo, no lump. OncotypeDX 16. I cried because I had no shoes...but then again, I won’t get blisters.... Dx 9/9/2015, IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 9/22/2015 Lumpectomy: Right Radiation Therapy 11/1/2015 3DCRT: Breast Hormonal Therapy 12/30/2015 Femara (letrozole)

Mar 18, 2017 01:45PM bonnets wrote:

Ah yes Sandy, I agree with you on the eye glasses!

Bonnets Dx 8/30/2012, IDC, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 9/14/2012 Lumpectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Right, Sentinel Radiation Therapy 10/22/2012 Breast

Mar 18, 2017 01:52PM Chevyboy wrote:

Yes Bonnets.... I know what you are talking about... we have that same sort of Senior Living here also... They have a huge building with "condo's.... Then also small little doubles, with garages, besides the Assisted Living.... In that same building, they have a wing for "Memory Care".... and since my friend has been there for a couple years, quite a few people have been moved into that locked wing.

It;'s the San Marino.... http://www.sanmarinoretirement.com/

And yes, she pays over $3000 a month.... for 3 meals a day, someone always checking in on you, and all the activities. They bring you your meds whenever needed.... Also take the residents out to eat, or go gambling, etc...... She gets her Husbands military pay, & his SS.... And her Son is renting out their home, so that rent also helps. She never worked.... So she is VERY lucky! Also never drove.... I tell her she is a spoiled brat, and she laughs her head off!

When my Grandma was moved to Assisted Living, it was only $1,000 a month! That was about 25 years ago.... She only had a few thousand in her savings, and I couldn't sell her home! So when she was running out of money, and her home would not sell, the State helped me turn her home back to her, as a Life Estate.... And then rent it for only the upkeep, taxes, and Insurance! THEN they would take her SS, all but $200 a month, and then she was in a Nursing home.... Dementia is such a horrific disease.... It was hard for me to watch her go through that....

She was my Dad's step-mom.... raising my Dad & his Sister when they were both 5 & 6. She was only 21 when she met Grandpa, and they married.... But through the years, her temper & her German survival mode, just turned her whole family against her...... My folks moved to California.... My other Cousins didn't want anything to do with her.... And trying to over-look her personality, was a bit hard.... But she had a heart-attack, went to the Hospital, and never went back home....

So for the next 2 years, I was all she had..... She was mine.... just like she was one of my kids.... I would run down the alley every day to see her.... Dress & shower her, and tried not to cry when I left her alone.... The HOME was great, but they could only do so much.... and she was going into Dementia faster than anyone could keep up. That's why she needed more care..... AND she had no more money...... I just thank God, I could get the help I needed to take care of her.....

Her cranky attitude just left.... she was forgetting everything.... Forgot she had my Dad & his Sister.... I made an Album, showing her the old pictures she had.... but it didn't help.... She was just "there"..... Memories weren't important anymore.... there weren't any......

Oh well.... I love thinking and remembering her.... I was lucky to have her in my life during her older years.....

Ducky, I remember that picture, but who IS she? I can't remember.....

Don't walk ahead of me, I might not follow. Don't walk behind me, I may not want to lead. Just walk beside me & be my friend. Dx 11/2009, IDC, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+

Mar 18, 2017 02:47PM CeliaC wrote:

ChiSandy - Oddly enough, in May 2016 cataract surgery was done on both my eyes. Very different seeing "the face in the mirror" so clearly. Great to see so well without glasses, but I liked the more "blurry" version. Still need readers and try to find ones with a little personality - totally get the wearing glasses as a form of "camouflage".

Thanks, ladies, for the warm welcomes. Hope everyone is enjoying the weekend. Around here (greater Cincinnati/N Ky area), the NCAA Basketball March Madness is in full swing. Lots of teams from the vicinity, especially UK are in contention. Illinois ladies - Watching Northwestern vs Gonzaga now.

Dx 12/2/2016, DCIS/IDC, Left, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 1, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 12/20/2016 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Radiation Therapy 2/20/2017 Whole-breast: Breast Hormonal Therapy 4/4/2017 Arimidex (anastrozole)

Mar 18, 2017 03:13PM ChiSandy wrote:

After being re-refracted after cataract surgery, I found much cheaper glasses (half the price of Pearle or LensCrafters, and still cheaper than Costco) at Warby Parker—cheaper still at 39dollarglasses.com, and dirt cheap at ZenniOptical.com (starting at $6.95 including single-vision prescription lenses, cheaper than drugstore or supermarket readers, with only a $29 upcharge for progressives). At those prices, they’re no more expensive than decent costume jewelry or department-store eye makeup. I have a whole wardrobe of progressive-lens glasses now, some of them photochromic as well.

Diagnosed at 64 on routine annual mammo, no lump. OncotypeDX 16. I cried because I had no shoes...but then again, I won’t get blisters.... Dx 9/9/2015, IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 9/22/2015 Lumpectomy: Right Radiation Therapy 11/1/2015 3DCRT: Breast Hormonal Therapy 12/30/2015 Femara (letrozole)

Mar 18, 2017 04:04PM sandra4611 wrote:

Hi Celia. We're glad you are here. As you can see, we don't always talk about serious stuff. There are plenty of days where that is SO needed to get through whatever worry is keeping us up at night.

I know what you mean about being old. Before I had a brain stem stroke 4 years ago (at 64) I was working full time as an accountant, then changed clothes and went to teach two hour long fitness classes every night and Saturday morning. (Mike and I also taught ballroom dance Friday and Saturday nights.) One of the locations I taught at was at Randolph Air Force Base Fitness Center. I had young active duty people as well as others of all ages. I routinely wore out the young ones. (I taught Pilates and Zumba.) They would be panting, bent over gasping for breath, and I would say, "I'm older than your grandmother! Come on! If I can do it, you can do it!" I was certainly not old and could prove it!

Fitness instructors are 65% more likely to get hurt than their students. Mostly it's because of overuse. One day I went to my doctor to try to figure out why my lower back on one side was so darn painful. I hadn't done anything to hurt myself...it just showed up one day. Turns out it was a ligament. The doc said, "Well, you know elderly people can tear a ligament just turning over in bed." I thought to myself, "That's an interesting fact but why is he talking to me about elderly people?" Then it dawned on me! I'm considered elderly now? It was a shocking revelation!

BMX w/ Direct to Implants. Hospital acquired staph infection led to 5 more surgeries over 15 months. Dx 7/18/2013, DCIS, 2cm, Stage 0, Grade 3, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+ Dx 8/23/2013, LCIS, Stage 0, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+ Surgery 8/23/2013 Lymph node removal: Left, Right, Sentinel; Mastectomy: Left, Right; Reconstruction (left): Silicone implant; Reconstruction (right): Silicone implant Surgery 9/6/2013 Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement Surgery 12/6/2013 Reconstruction (left): Silicone implant; Reconstruction (right): Silicone implant Surgery 3/21/2014 Reconstruction (left): Silicone implant; Reconstruction (right): Silicone implant Surgery 10/3/2014 Reconstruction (left): Silicone implant; Reconstruction (right): Silicone implant Surgery 12/19/2014 Reconstruction (left): Fat grafting; Reconstruction (right): Fat grafting

Mar 18, 2017 04:54PM ChiSandy wrote:

Sandra, I know what you mean. One day back in 2010 I got up from my seat in a fro-yo parlor to discard my empty cup…and the third step I took caused me to shriek in pain as my right knee gave way. The next day (after getting an orthopedist referral from the ER where the EMS took me), the surgeon said an MRI was unnecessary—he could tell right away that I’d torn my medial meniscus cartilage. I asked what caused the tear and he said “You’re 59. Shit happens.” (Fast forward 7 years—I now have bilateral knee implants and neither cartilage, ACLs, not PCLs to injure).

Mar 18, 2017 05:34PM Chevyboy wrote:

Hey Sandy.... Did you have that Arthroscopic Surgery for your torn Medial Meniscus? I knelt down one time, with my knee bent, out to the side, and tore that also! Had the surgery.... finally..... I was only about 55 at the time.... But both my knees are fine so far....

What is a "fro-yo" parlor? I don't think I have ever heard of that one! You mean like a Starbucks? Yes, I heard my meniscus "pop" when I hurt mine also!

For my age, and the things that I have hurt, I really am lucky I guess....! Back surgery was when I was only 45.... "just a kid".... and that went fine.... But falling and breaking my hip a couple years ago.... and then the rod & screws even turned out better than I ever thought it would....

Just don't get any "older" gals.....

Mar 18, 2017 05:35PM Chevyboy wrote:

What I mean is always have a million Birthdays, but don't grow old..... Hah!

Image result for getting older quotes

Mar 18, 2017 06:14PM ChiSandy wrote:

Chevy, I did indeed have meniscus surgery, but only to debride the torn part and smooth out the rest. Unfortunately, the portion I tore was not the part with an actual blood supply and could not be “repaired” per se. And a “fro-yo” parlor is one that sells mostly frozen yogurt. (These days, they’re self-serve, the cashier weighs out the dish and you pay by the ounce for the yogurt & any toppings). I think that having had open reduction & internal fixation surgery (still have most of the hardware—some screws were removed for the knee prosthesis) for a tibial plateau fracture 14 years earlier (was hit by a car) may have started the ol’ “traumatic arthritis” ball rolling.

Mar 19, 2017 04:52AM Chevyboy wrote:

Okay.... didn't know you had that ORIF also.... Mine was my hip/femur... I didn't know the femur was hollow..... didn't know they could slip a rod down there. But the Ortho surgeon really did a good job... Only in the Hospital 3 nights, then home, with a walker... Didn't want to go anywhere for rehab... Just kept walking.... and it worked!

I think THAT is when the Lymph-edema started.... Same side as my Lumpectomy.... All that surgery, needles, drains, etc.... But I can control that with the compression stockings, and light massages.... I made little scented rice pillows, that I heat in the microwave, and lay on my ankle/leg, and THAT helps also, I think.

Mar 19, 2017 07:30AM IllinoisLady wrote:

Wherever there is a human being,
there is an opportunity for a kindness.
- Seneca

Each day I am thankful for nights that turned into mornings, friends that turned into family, dreams that turned into reality and likes that turned into love. ~~~Elizabeth Kuebler-Ross Dx 9/27/2007, IDC, 5cm, Stage II, Grade 3, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2-

Mar 19, 2017 07:44AM IllinoisLady wrote:

Getting old is not for sissies as they say and I believe it. I have been fortunate but did have some strain in a ?ligament or muscle in my back, twice. The first time I went to the V.A. and it slowly got better. Second time I was working for the Dr. and it got better quick. I would have gone to the V.A. but I had promised to be at work -- and I always tried very hard to be 'available' when needed. Funny thing is --- I took Dh with me that early evening because I thought I might not be able to do all I would need to do.

When I got there and told the lady of the house why I had brought Denny she said - wait just a minute and turned around and left the room. Belatedly it dawned on me -- she was going to get the Dr. I was so into being where I promised I would be at the appointed time, I had forgotten completely that I was going to a Dr.'s house -- and I could get some help there. He gave me some pill that seemed to start almost instantly soothing the pain -- and later sent me home with a few more -- and then something else ( something to cure the inflammation being caused ) and in no time I was back feeling fantastic.

When I first started working there I was a little in awe of this Dr. I worked for, but in a while I recognized him quicker as a caring, loving individual who was always nice to be around. Consequently, many times when he could have directed some of the care I've needed -- I haven't remembered that if nothing else I could ask for his opinion of what I should do or should forcefully ask be done. He is 78 yrs. old and has really tried to retire but I'm not sure he will ever fully get there. His patients adore him and he has always done the best he knew how I think to help them. No one wants him to retire, even knowing that he has more than earned it. Not sure when you are still working at 78 that you totally want to retire.

So yeah, I think getting old has some drawbacks, but the nice part is that by the time we do start to get there, we have weathered a lot of storms and helped those we love ( family and friends ) weather them too. We have been tried and we can do it and we will. So, it is not for sissies but it is for us who have been almost through it all.

Have a gorgeous day.

Each day I am thankful for nights that turned into mornings, friends that turned into family, dreams that turned into reality and likes that turned into love. ~~~Elizabeth Kuebler-Ross Dx 9/27/2007, IDC, 5cm, Stage II, Grade 3, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2-

Mar 20, 2017 08:03AM IllinoisLady wrote:

The story of a love is not important - what is important is that one is capable of love. It is perhaps the only glimpse we are permitted of eternity.

Helen Hayes

Mar 20, 2017 02:34PM Chevyboy wrote:

Just called United Health Care through AARP.... Medicare Complete.... We have 0 pay out every month..... $10 per visit to our Primary Care, and $50 if we have to see a specialist.... with a referral.

I was so worried about all the uproar, and everyone hating Obama-care, and what this new administration would change.... Seems nothing!!! Yay! Maybe we are just lucky we are older, right?

And if we need an ambulance, we have to pay $245.... But we have never had to so far! Anyway.... that's the news.... We are lucky to be pretty healthy, I guess!

Mar 20, 2017 03:21PM ChiSandy wrote:

We got grandfathered in to BCBS’ open-panel fee-for service Part B Plan F—higher premiums (income-based, sliding scale) but no deductibles or co-pays, not even for ambulance rides so long as deemed “medically necessary.” (For non-emergencies or if we elect to call a cab or Uber, that’s not reimbursed, but a “medi-car” service or HC-accessible taxi is covered if we are wheelchair-bound). They’re no longer offering it in IL to new enrollees. It will be gone in 2020, at which time we will switch to Plan G—lower premiums but a $195 annual deductible. And because we signed up when we did, we can’t be forced into an Advantage or closed-network HMO plan.

Mar 21, 2017 05:59AM Chevyboy wrote:

I'm so thankful we have never had to ride in an ambulance.... Not even when I couldn't get up from breaking my hip.... THank God for neighbor Steve, who was bringing his Dad home from Doctor, and we were in back of their house... I was laying in the alley. He grabbed his wheel-chair, they got me in it, and wheeled me down to OUR garage, and DH drove me to Hospital.... Like a guardian angel!

Our friend, just passed away last night.... Geez.... makes you so sad.... Carcinoid Syndrome, or something that I don't understand.... in his liver, and throughout him. He lived with it for a couple years... I just thought it was something he was "living with".... But these last 2 weeks in his "Caring Journal".... His Daughter kept posting and giving updates. Just hurts to lose someone.... even though they are not suffering anymore..... I feel so bad for his wife and their family..........

Mar 21, 2017 07:36AM Anneb1149 wrote:

Mornin all,

I think I told you about my sciatica problems several weeks ago. I couldn't get in to see my primary, so I saw one of his PA's, who agreed that chiropractic was the way to go. I saw her a week later, and even though the pain was still intense, she thought that staying with chiropractic was still best. Well, here we are 4 weeks later, and while the sudden stabbing pain has lessened, I am still in constant pain, and am sitting on ice packs all day long, with little reduction of the overall swelling and pain. My daughter noticed that the lymphedema in my arm has greatly increased and she can see swelling in my leg as well. We both think that it is lymphedema swelling that is keeping the sciatic area swollen at this point. I am in constant pain and can not find a comfortable position, standing, sitting or lying down. So Icalled for another appointment with my primary this morning to get the name of an orthopedist and a referral for lymphedema therapy. First appt availablebis April 24th!! I said that was ridiculous and while I agreed to see the PA tomorrow so I can get the LE referral, I told them I would be looking for a new Dr. I find it hard to believe that he has so many non-emergency patients that he can't fit in the patients who need to see him immediately any earlier for 6 weeks- if I let this go another 6 weeks without improvement, I will lose my mind!

Thanks for letting me vent

Anne

Dx 9/25/2013, IDC, 1cm, Stage IIIA, Grade 2, 3/9 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2+ Targeted Therapy 10/4/2013 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Targeted Therapy 10/4/2013 Perjeta (pertuzumab) Chemotherapy 10/10/2013 Taxotere (docetaxel) Surgery 1/28/2014 Lymph node removal: Right, Underarm/Axillary; Mastectomy: Left, Right Radiation Therapy Breast, Lymph nodes

Mar 21, 2017 12:21PM IllinoisLady wrote:

If we had no winter, the spring would not be so pleasant: if we did not sometimes taste of adversity, prosperity would not be so welcome.
--Anne Bradstreet

Mar 21, 2017 12:23PM ChiSandy wrote:

See an orthopedist. Couple of years ago, what I'd thought was sciatica turned out to be two torn gluteal muscles--in which case chiro wouldn't do you much good

Mar 21, 2017 12:36PM IllinoisLady wrote:

Anne, not sure the above quote is the best one for you at present. I'm with you though. If you can't see a Dr. any sooner, they might not be the right one for a good fit to your life and circumstances. I'm glad you discovered the possibility of a connection to your sciatica and the lymphedema. Seems like the lymphedema is really in rough shape at the moment. Too much stress all way around stirring it up even more. Anyway -- hoping you get some "real" relief soon and can begin to get back on your feet again. You have been in the pits and it is past time for things to get ironed out.

Chevy, I am sorry to hear about your friend. Seems like just when we think things are on a fairly even keel, they suddenly change and their goes the rug. It is good to know someone no longer suffers, but the family and friends will until they can totally let go. I hope they are all right and will be able to hold onto to lots of good memories until they start to bring joy again. My condolences to you and your friend's family.

Mar 21, 2017 12:55PM Chevyboy wrote:

Thanks Jackie..... Yes, the girls are all broken hearted.... as I imagine so is his wife Patty.... She is my SIL's Sister.... Now both Sister's have lost their Husbands... Patty's Sister Carol, lost her Husband about 7 years ago..... he was my Husband's Brother....

Now that we are older, we can look back on all of our friends that have passed, or are in awful shape....I just thank God for every day...... I always pray for a million more "tomorrow's"...... It's the suffering so many go through..... long illnesses......

Sandy, my sciatica was caused by both herniated disks, pressing on that nerve, going all the way down my leg into my foot... The pain became unbearable before the surgery, and a Neurologist is the one that did the double Laminectomy .....,..no fusion, and it worked out GREAT!!! As soon as I woke up from the surgery, that constant pain was GONE.

Mar 21, 2017 06:52PM - edited Mar 21, 2017 06:53PM by duckyb1

Anne....a while back I fell and got severe pain in my back....was concerned so I went to the ER....well as it turned out the ER Dr. told he he thought I had broke a vertebrae but I would have to go to an orthopedic Dr.........I said "well good luck with".....he said "oh no, when the order comes from the ER you will be seen within a few days.......it cost me a copay for the ER, however I got to see the Ortho.in in 2 days....

Ducky Dx 2/15/2011, IDC, Right, 1cm, Grade 1, 0/8 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Radiation Therapy 4/24/2011 Whole-breast: Breast

Mar 21, 2017 11:51PM camillegal wrote:

Hi Ladies,

Chevy I'm so sorry about u loosing u'r friend. It never gets easier as we get older, u think it would. I mean we've already seen our parents, brothers, sisters, friends leave, but that pain never really leaves--u just live with it.

Ann I'm so sorry for all the pain and the wait. My everyday Dr. told me that Drs. always leave availability open for certain problems. Maybe all of them don't. She has intervened for me when she knew waiting a month was just to long. Maybe u'rs can do that too. IDK, well different states do different things, I think. Right now I'm going back on steroids which before has lessened my pain considerably <I start in the morning> maybe u can ask about that???

Sandy I enjoy so how u can explain ins. stuff, but it is one <OK maybe there's more, shut up Chevy> thing I never got. I worked for NY Life Ins. years ago and had answers written down for health ins. and didn't even understand what I was saying, the worst part when they asked something I didn't have written down I would BS, never really giving an answer but sounding like I knew. Just so confusing to me.

OK I'll see u later.

Dx 2007, Stage IV, 24/38 nodes, HER2+

Mar 21, 2017 11:53PM - edited Mar 21, 2017 11:55PM by ChiSandy

Chevy, so sorry for your loss! When friends die it seems to hit home harder—a reminder of our own advancing age.

I may have to bite the bullet and do something about the bone spurs in my vertebrae—what causes my back to “go out" is that the spurs irritate the spinal nerves and the muscles go into spasm to protect the spinal cord from more movement. My back muscles are tighter and stronger (backs of legs—hamstrings & calves--too) than my abs, psoas, and quads (front muscles)—so stretching the muscles behind me and strengthening those in front will provide better back support and improve my posture. We're also working at keeping my shoulders back and my head up.

Mar 22, 2017 05:04AM Chevyboy wrote:

And another thing! I just read this on FB... https://mountainsandmustardseedssite.wordpress.com...

I took Cipro for a UTI, after the first prescription didn't knoci it.... But THEN my SHOULDER started hurting sooooo bad, that after about 3 days I had to stop it! When I went back to Dear Doctor, I TOLD her this.... From now on, that is in my chart, that I cannot take it! It might work for SOME people, but sometimes YOU can't take what works for others.... Same as Tamoxifen.... Didn't work for me, but works for many others.... Just be careful....

Yes little Cammers... Our "team" of Dr's, usually make room, when we call up needing something NOW... And you are going "back on steroids"..... That's okay.... I took them for awhile, trying to get over Asthma.... They DO help, and I think you are supposed to take them for a short time.... But they REALLY help certain things.... It's like you are supposed to follow directions on THIS drug.... You mean Prednisone.... right? P & me are best friends.... I used to be sicklier when I was younger.... not so much now, but Prednisone always helped.... Why are you in pain?

Wait.... you mean you said something about something you didn't know? HaaaaaHHAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaa! I always do that. That's a gift. Just roll with it.... No-one knows the difference anyway....

DUCKSTER!!!!!!!!!! Oh hey..... GOOD advice! Yep, you might have to wait a bit, but that's no difference waiting in ER, than waiting for your Doc.... right? And the ER has a much larger team to work with you.... and get things done! So what was wrong with your back? Also, our Rocky Mountain Primary Care team does NOT have x-ray equipment, or can read blood work right away.... ER has that !

Yes Sandy, muscle spasm's are the WORST! It's like you can't even MOVE, the pain is so bad ! Gotta always practice good posture.... But it's easier when things don't hurt! Be careful stretching.... Make sure it isn't hurting something else.... When I try stretching in bed, sometimes my legs will cramp up, and you can fly off that bed faster than you ever thought possible.....

Going to go by & feed Daughter's cat this morning... She is in Orlando, with her "mama Sister".... and her family... Hah! Going to the Crystal River, then on to a nice Hotel on some beach... Amelia Island! Those girls both love being around the Sea....

Mar 22, 2017 06:02AM edwards750 wrote:

If you guys don't mind allow me to add my 2 cents worth about getting old. Even if you don't feel it everywhere you go someone or something reminds you you are no longer a spring chicken. I remember when I thought 40 was old. Recently when I was in Kohl's the sales clerk automatically gave me the senior citizen discount. Ditto with Taco Bell and the Malco theater. Love the discounts but hate the reality.

I haven't had any of the orthopedic issues you guys have had so I can't speak to what you are going through except I hope you get some relief soon.

We have BC/BS through my DH's job. Large deductible but monthly insurance payment is largely paid by the company because my spouse is an associate. With the cost of medical procedures so high we typically reach our deductible long before year's end.

Celia - we live in Collierville a township outside Memphis. The NCAA tournament has teams like Kentucky playing UCLA in Memphis at the FedEx Forum this week.The teams play Thursday and Friday. It will be interesting to see what kind of reception Calipari gets. Some Memphians are still ticked about his leaving UofM for Kentucky. IMO they do need to get over it. That was years ago. Kentucky was his dream job. I do think he could have handled his departure better.

Sorry about your friend Chevy. Our BC group at church lost one of our ladies to BC and another one was just DX with Stage IV BC. I also had another friend pass away from BC. She suffered so much. Hitting too close to home.

Diane

Page 995 of 1,033 (30,971 results)