Join Us

We are 224,965 members in 83 forums discussing 163,804 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: Metats

Forum: Older Than 60 Years Old With Breast Cancer —

Meet other women who are similar in age and dealing with age-appropriate issues.

Posted on: Mar 5, 2009 01:12PM

mikita5 wrote:

Anyone know if  you take off both breasts and it comes back, it'll come back in colon or elsewhere. Is it a good thing to keep one breast so if it does come back , it'll come back in the healthy breast and have better chance of survival???

If God leads you TO it, he'll lead you THRU it! Dx 1/2/2008, DCIS, 1cm, Stage 0, Grade 3, 0/1 nodes, ER+

Page 1 of 1 (2 results)

Posts 1 - 2 (2 total)

Mar 5, 2009 05:00PM bluewillow wrote:

Hi!  I just found our new official forum-- thank you, moderaters!!

Mikita, that's a good question.  I was told by my onc/surgeon's nurse that recurrence most always comes back in the same breast or other breast, before going elsewhere in the body.  Not sure how true that is, but that's what she told me.  And that got me wondering the same thing you asked.  I opted for a lumpectomy, but that still left me wondering if the cancer came back, would it comes back in my breast that I decided to keep instead of somewhere else... ?

Jo, I am saying BIG prayers for your mammo to be all clear tomorrow!!!!!!!

hugs to all,

Mary Jo

Nana of Mason, Hayden, and Addison~Lumpectomy, Re-excision, SNB, AC/Taxol, Radiation, 1 yr Herceptin Dx 7/26/2007, IDC, <1cm, Stage I, Grade 3, 0/4 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2+

Mar 5, 2009 05:11PM NancyD wrote:

If you are thinking about a recurrence, it will only happen where there is breast tissue...so if your breasts are removed, it reduces chance to almost nothinig. It also reduces the chance of a new breast cancer.

A metastasis to other organs can happen even if the breast tissue is removed because removal of the breast does not ensure the complete removal of cancer cells, and the ones left behind settle wherever they are comfortable. The most likely spots for that are bone, liver, lungs, and brain. I suppose the colon could be a spot for it but it must be pretty rare, because of all the metsters we have posting here, I don't recall anyone having it in their colon.

Life is good. It's not perfect. but it's good. Dx 2/22/2008, IDC, Left, Stage IIIA, Grade 2, 4/10 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Chemotherapy 3/22/2008 Adriamycin (doxorubicin), Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel) Surgery 7/11/2008 Mastectomy: Left; Prophylactic mastectomy: Right Hormonal Therapy 9/1/2008 Arimidex (anastrozole) Radiation Therapy 9/5/2008 Breast, Lymph nodes Surgery 1/28/2010 Reconstruction (left): DIEP flap; Reconstruction (right): DIEP flap

Page 1 of 1 (2 results)