Log in to post a reply
Mar 30, 2017 11:49AM
Mar 31, 2017 09:42AM
Thank you everyone for your advice and support. So we have a partial diagnosis, and sadly, it is definitely breast cancer. I have not seen the pathology report nor did my mom want to discuss the specifics last night when she confirmed this news, so I don't know yet what stage or type it is or even if lymph nodes are involved, more details still to come. However, the fact that the doctor offered Tamoxifen as one treatment option means it is (from my limited understanding) hormone receptor positive, correct? My mother refuses any type of, as she calls it, 'chemical' medication, so will not take Tamoxifen at all, nor any other medication. including aromatase inhibitors. At this point, her decision is to have a total mastectomy of the left breast where the tumors are. Although this is a very brave decision, she also states she will not follow up with radiation nor chemo nor any type of medication. So my fear is that even if she has the breast removed, it could easily come back elsewhere, if it has not already spread to other tissues, organs, etc. I have asked to see the pathology report so I can see all the data for myself and know exactly what we are facing. I have a feeling if she had dealt with this from the time she found the first lump almost 2 years ago, a simple lumpectomy would have been enough, and we would not be where we are today with a much more serious situation. However, we cannot change the past, only deal in the present to ensure her future.
Once my mom has had the operation (hopefully sooner rather than later), we (my family and I) will think about whether to pursue this naturopath who obviously isn't worth her degree if she had been seeing my mother every 3-4 months for the past 18 months and did not suspect cancer nor advise her to get tested. I feel like she inspired false confidence and was a key reason why my mother delayed being tested. But right now all our focus is on getting my mother through this next step, the surgery, and then we will see.
UPDATE MARCH 31st: I now have copies of my mom's bone scan, pathology and hematology reports, and it does not look good :( She has been diagnosed with invasive ductal mucinous carcinoma with a proliferation index of 15%-20%. It is also estrogen and progesterone positive at 95% each, but HER-2 negative. The tumor in her breast measures 7.5cm with a necrotic center. The bone scan results points to about 5 indications of mild to moderate abnormal increased bone tracer uptake throughout her spine, in the humerus and in her pelvis, and as such, the doctor wants her to do a another CT scan to rule out bone metastasis. Finally, her hematology results are showing signs of anisocytosis and macrocytosis (not sure if this is relevant to the cancer or just another health issue). Nowhere in the report does it mention lymph nodes, so I don't know what this cancer's stage is, but if it is in the bones, I guess it is Stage IV. I am still researching what all this means as this brand new territory for us, but if anyone can provide more insight, I sure would appreciate that.