Join Us

We are 219,487 members in 84 forums discussing 161,542 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: breast cancer caused by previous radiation

Forum: Older Than 60 Years Old With Breast Cancer —

Meet other women who are similar in age and dealing with age-appropriate issues.

Posted on: Jul 24, 2018 06:59PM

dhorak wrote:

My mother be has been diagnosed with breast cancer for the third time. She's had a lumpectomy in each breast. The first was 25 yrs ago and the second was 16 years ago. She's had it in each breast. She just had a biopsy done last week and the results are that it was caused by previous radiation. We go this Thursday to talk to the onco about a treatment plan. So my question is, is there anyone out there that has had this diagnosis and what type of treatment did you have. We've been told that there is the possibility that it can be treated with chemo and I assume more radiation (not quite sure, will find out more on 8/8/18.  It doesn't make sense to me that you would use radiation on something that was caused by radiation. Thanks for any input.

Denise Dx 2/12/2008, IDC, Left, 2cm, Stage IIB, Grade 3, 3/33 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2-

Page 1 of 1 (4 results)

Posts 1 - 4 (4 total)

Jul 24, 2018 07:01PM Lula73 wrote:

I had rads to the chest for Hodgkin’s lymphoma 30 years before my BC diagnosis. I was told I had reached my lifetime maximum amount of rads and mastectomy was my only option.

-Lula Dx 1/2017, DCIS/IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 1, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 2/13/2017 Lymph node removal: Sentinel; Mastectomy: Left, Right; Prophylactic ovary removal; Reconstruction (left): DIEP flap; Reconstruction (right): DIEP flap Hormonal Therapy 3/2/2017 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Surgery 11/1/2017 Prophylactic ovary removal Hormonal Therapy 1/2/2018 Femara (letrozole)

Jul 24, 2018 07:10PM Georgia1 wrote:

I have honestly never heard of breast cancer being caused by radiation. Good for you for asking questions on your mom's behalf.

Cancer touched my breast so I kicked its ass. Dx 9/3/2017, ILC/IDC, Right, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx 10/10/2017, LCIS, Right, 0/1 nodes Surgery 10/10/2017 Lumpectomy; Lymph node removal: Right, Sentinel Radiation Therapy 11/27/2017 Whole-breast: Breast Hormonal Therapy 1/2/2018 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone)

Dec 26, 2018 01:50PM AnitaLouise wrote:

I had chemo and radiation 14 years prior to my second BC. I knew that the breast had to be removed due to previous radiation. You can't have that tissue treated with radiation again. So I decided to have both removed along with the nipples (ductal carcinoma). At the time I was 61. Who really needs nipples anyway. That was two years ago and I still haven't had tattooing done because, I have had several surgeries.

Feb 15, 2019 06:35AM teltech wrote:

I posted the below back in December. I had not discovered this topic at that time. As it seems appropriate, I thought I would put the post here also in answer to your question. Currently undergoing chemo - abraxane and carboplantin, I was told I could not do any more radiation in future.

--------------------------------------

Posted on: Dec 4, 2018 04:41AM

Reston, VaJoined: Oct 2018Posts: 6Latest activity: Feb 15, 2019

teltech wrote:

Has anyone had breast cancer radiation causing a new different cancer? I have been told, my doctors have heard of it but none of my physicians or nurses have seen it before. Seems it is rare. When I met the Radiation Oncologist she said she "had heard" of me. Seems my surgeon presented my case at a conference (?), weekly meeting?

In 1999 I was diagnosed with DCIS. Had a lumpectomy with chemo and radiation. This past October I was diagnosed with osteosarcoma caused by the previous radiation. Verified by analysis of tumor. Am currently recovering from mastectomy with LD flap. Need to see oncologist for further analysis/treatment.

Dx 9/26/2018, Left, 6cm+, Grade 3, ER-, HER2-
Dx 9/26/2018, Left, 6cm+, Grade 3, ER-, HER2-

Page 1 of 1 (4 results)