Join Us

We are 219,486 members in 84 forums discussing 161,542 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: How to get back to normal with depression and anxiety. Benzos?

Forum: Older Than 60 Years Old With Breast Cancer —

Meet other women who are similar in age and dealing with age-appropriate issues.

Posted on: Aug 13, 2020 10:09PM

LoveLau wrote:

• I need practical advice. 3 years of anxiety and depression and fear... antidepredsants didnt work. Are benzos the answer? Got off them now want them back. Trying DBT. Meditation, ice bags on my head, paired muscle relaxation. Bible study, prayer thru the day and night. Feel good at night and in afternoon. In morning very bad. Dr tried many meds with bad mental side effects. I must be doing something wrong. Seeing psyc all these years and women going thru this doing much better. If you have conquered this let me know how. Below is advice from moffit cancer center. Yes good advice but i dont know how to implement it. Living with fear but i do believe i am ok physically. Read lots of books on bc, anxiety and depression. I want to live a good quality of life. Fear is in my way especially with pandemic. Bless you for your thoughts.

Studies have shown that breast cancer patients, after completion of therapy, seek to move on and return to a "normal way of life." Studies show that a desire for "normality" is a key factor in coping with breast cancer. Reminders of cancer were found to cause fear and increased insecurity. Therefore, when searching for one's "new norm," it is important to take it one day at a time and find coping mechanisms that work, which will be different from patient to patient. For some, it may be finding enjoyment in activities they engaged in prior to diagnosis, taking time for appreciating life and expressing gratitude, volunteering, etc. Of prime importance, studies have shown that accepting the disease as a part of one's life is a key to effective coping. Equally important is one's partner's acceptance of the disease as well. Studies suggest women focusing on mental strength to allow them to move on with

Dx 10/2016, LCIS/ILC, Right, 1cm, Stage IB, Grade 2, 1/24 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2-

Page 1 of 1 (4 results)

Posts 1 - 4 (4 total)

Aug 16, 2020 03:19PM beep7bop wrote:

I don't have answers wish I did. I am trying to deal moment to moment. On top of going thru breast cancer and reconstruction last year I lost my 43 year old son june 24 2020.

Dx 3/11/2019, ILC/IDC, Both breasts, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery Lymph node removal: Sentinel; Mastectomy: Left, Right

Aug 16, 2020 04:35PM Krose53 wrote:

I have had anxiety most of my life. I'm sorry antidepressants have not worked for you. I just changed to Viibryd, a new one, with great results and no side effects. It's important to give your antidepressant at least 8 wks to see how you feel. The best thing I ever did for my anxiety and this includes medication is one on one behavior modification therapy. Search out a therapist who specializes in this and has lots if expierence Make sure you are comfortable with him/her. It takes work but it's yields such great results. In the beginning I needed to go weekly.I hope you feel better soon. I understand how devastating anxiety and depression can be.

Dx 11/16/2017, ILC/IDC, Both breasts, 1cm, Stage IIA, Grade 2, 2/5 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (FISH) Surgery 12/26/2017 Mastectomy: Left, Right Chemotherapy 1/21/2018 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel) Hormonal Therapy 3/31/2018

Aug 16, 2020 04:37PM - edited Aug 16, 2020 04:38PM by Krose53

This Post was deleted by Krose53.
Dx 11/16/2017, ILC/IDC, Both breasts, 1cm, Stage IIA, Grade 2, 2/5 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- (FISH) Surgery 12/26/2017 Mastectomy: Left, Right Chemotherapy 1/21/2018 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel) Hormonal Therapy 3/31/2018

Aug 16, 2020 04:37PM - edited Aug 16, 2020 04:38PM by Krose53

Beep,I am so sorry for your loss. I can't imagine the pain.

Page 1 of 1 (4 results)