Topic: Anxious about my surgery/reconstruction decision

Forum: Older Than 60 Years Old With Breast Cancer — Meet other women who are similar in age and dealing with age-appropriate issues.

Posted on: Oct 7, 2020 05:45PM

Posted on: Oct 7, 2020 05:45PM

suzopedia wrote:

This is my second time around for cancer. I had two lumpectomies (left) in 2005 and was diagnosed in 2020 on the right side. It looked like it was DCIS. The first lumpectomy didn't have big enough margins and the second lumpectomy found a micro invasion, more DCIS and atypical ductal and lobular hyperplasia. I panicked. I'm wondering what else is in my right breast. The second lumpectomy was to clear margins and they found all this instead. After being at peace around BC for the last 10 years, I'm finding it difficult to live with the anxiety. My MO agrees it might be better for me to have the UMX rather than deal with constant monitoring. So here I am. Really scared but trying to move forward.

My surgeon said she did not recommend more surgery, partly because of my age. I'm 70. That's the reason I want the MX. I want to reduce my chances of having to deal with this again in the future. I have orthopedic/spinal issues I also have to keep an eye on. I am leaning away from reconstruction right now. I don't want anymore complications or surgeries than I have to have. But I'm still scared. How will I feel being lopsided? How will I feel looking at that scar?

I'm feeling alone and disconnected. The social worker and nurse navigator don't return calls. My husband is supportive but it's along the line of "I'll support whatever you want to do". I want my mommy :-) and/or someone to make my decisions for me. I know that isn't going to happen. I just needed to vent. I have a call into the psychologist at my MO's office. And then I'll keep coming in here and pestering you all until my surgery and maybe even after. <hugs>

susan

Dx 1/5/2005, IDC, Left, 2cm, Stage IIA, Grade 3, 0/3 nodes, ER+, HER2- Surgery 2/25/2005 Lumpectomy Chemotherapy 3/1/2005 TAC Radiation Therapy 6/1/2005 Whole breast: Breast Hormonal Therapy 8/1/2005 Arimidex (anastrozole), Aromasin (exemestane), Femara (letrozole), Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Surgery 7/24/2020 Lumpectomy: Right Dx 7/27/2020, DCIS, Right, 3cm, Stage 0, Grade 2, ER+/PR+ Surgery 9/22/2020 Lumpectomy: Right Dx 9/27/2020, IDC, Right, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, ER+/PR+

Page 2 of 2 (20 results)

Nov 2, 2020 07:55AM marie914 wrote:

Suze - I am 60 and I had the choice of a lumpectomy or an unilateral mastectomy or a bilateral mastectomy. I did not want radiation but I did want to keep my one breast until I saw how things worked. I did have an expander put in and will be getting an implant. I'm okay with it but I can see where just sewing me up would have been fine and I could have worn a prothesis or knitted knocker. I wear a prothesis that I got off Amazon for $40 or something. It works great now until my expander gets enough saline in it to match my other breast. When I am home I just go without. I haven't noticed balance issues but I think the prothesis I got makes me feel fine in public. You could probably get a better one if you are staying flat.

Dx 7/31/2020, DCIS/IDC, Left, 2cm, Stage IIA, Grade 2, 0/8 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-, Surgery 9/14/2020 Lymph node removal: Sentinel; Mastectomy: Left; Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement Chemotherapy 11/6/2020 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel) Surgery 2/1/2021 Reconstruction (left): Silicone implant Hormonal Therapy 2/8/2021 Femara (letrozole)

Nov 2, 2020 02:29PM suzopedia wrote:

abc54321

thanks so much for the tip about the block. I met with my breast surgeon this morning and asked about that and she said yes, we could ask the anesthesiologist to do that. I was concerned because I wouldn't be spending the night in the hospital. I wondered how bad the pain would be.

You love your scar. Good to know. I remember the first time around in 2005 I wouldn't even consider a mastectomy. Not sure exactly where that came from. The thought terrified me. Heh-heh. I'm sure I will have scars that I will get to love also.

I found a good website for bras that work for mastectomies especially singles. Handful.com I bought one of their bras. You can put thin forms in each side so you can even out. They were super nice and bc survivors get a big discount.

thanks for your response.

Dx 1/5/2005, IDC, Left, 2cm, Stage IIA, Grade 3, 0/3 nodes, ER+, HER2- Surgery 2/25/2005 Lumpectomy Chemotherapy 3/1/2005 TAC Radiation Therapy 6/1/2005 Whole breast: Breast Hormonal Therapy 8/1/2005 Arimidex (anastrozole), Aromasin (exemestane), Femara (letrozole), Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Surgery 7/24/2020 Lumpectomy: Right Dx 7/27/2020, DCIS, Right, 3cm, Stage 0, Grade 2, ER+/PR+ Surgery 9/22/2020 Lumpectomy: Right Dx 9/27/2020, IDC, Right, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, ER+/PR+

Nov 2, 2020 02:48PM suzopedia wrote:

marie914,

I have decided to try an implant. When I met with the plastic surgeon, he thought he could use the direct implant procedure and I would go home with the implant. I'm already small on the left side from my surgeries 15 years ago so a small implant on the right would be just ducky. Added benefit, I won't have to wear a bra most of the time. They put the implant in and check you out, blood flow, etc. If it doesn't work they take it out and put in an expander. And I'll go through the fill/exchange procedure.

I guess in a few months I'll be on here saying "yeah, no big deal". It seemed like a really big deal to me, but now that the plans are made and I've talked with both surgeons, my MO and the psychologist from her office, I'm starting to relax a little. I wasn't ready to just see a scar but if that's how it works out, I'm sure I'll adjust. So, hoping for the easiest case but I'll take whatever I get. Thanks for your input.

Nov 2, 2020 03:25PM beesie.is.out-of-office wrote:

I'm glad you are feeling more comfortable with your decision. If your only surgical option is not what you would willingly choose (not that any of us would choose to have any surgery!), it's natural that it takes a while to get used to the idea - I know that was certainly the case with me.

Do you have your surgery date?

Nov 2, 2020 04:02PM suzopedia wrote:

sent you a PM

Nov 12, 2020 01:21PM suzopedia wrote:

Well the deed has been done. I had surgery on Tuesday and it's Thursday and I'm doing good. I have pain, but its tolerable. I think I'm with you Marie914, I would have done just as well without an implant. The direct implant didn't work and I have a tissue expander. I have these awful antibiotics I have to take. I don't do well with them. I have had c-diff in the past. So another adventure for me. I'll get though it. Now if I just get a good pathology report. Fingers crossed.

Jan 1, 2021 02:09PM - edited Jan 1, 2021 08:49PM by luv2walk2

This Post was deleted by luv2walk2.

Jan 1, 2021 02:53PM beesie.is.out-of-office wrote:

luv2walk2, to get the attention to your own situation, can I suggest that your start your own discussion thread, rather than tag onto suzopedia's thread?

To get the most people to see your post and offer their support, the Just Diagnosed forum is probably best - here's a link: https://community.breastcancer.org/forum/5

Near the top of the page you can see where to click to "Start a new Topic". The easiest thing to do is just highlight & copy your post from here and then paste it into the new post - that way you don't have to rewrite everything. Then you could delete this post, so that all your information and responses are in your new thread.

One thing you could clarify is your diagnosis. You say "My cancer is papillary and in the milk duct. It is supposedly 1 x .7 x 1 cm, with an invasive spot measuring. 15 cm." What it sounds like is that you have a small invasive cancer that is .15cm in size, along with a larger area of DCIS (which is in the duct). If that is correct, is it the DCIS that is papillary? Because if so, this is quite common and very different than papillary invasive breast cancer, which is rare. The DCIS portion of the diagnosis a non-invasive condition; the more serious condition is the invasive cancer, and if yours is .15cm (1.5mm), that is extremely small, just a tiny bit larger than what's called a microinvasion. But I'm just guessing here, which is why clarification would help. Perhaps you can copy exactly what's in the biopsy pathology report.

Jan 1, 2021 08:49PM - edited Jan 1, 2021 09:11PM by luv2walk2

This Post was deleted by luv2walk2.

Jan 1, 2021 11:40PM minustwo wrote:

Sorry to report that we were apparently unable to connect with Luv2Walk. She has deleted all her posts from all the threads she joined.

2/15/11 BMX-DCIS 2SNB clear-TEs; 9/15/11-410gummies; 3/20/13 recurrance-5.5cm,mets to lymphs, Stage IIIB IDC ER/PRneg,HER2+; TCH/Perjeta/Neulasta x6; ALND 9/24/13 1/18 nodes 4.5cm; AC chemo 10/30/13 x3; herceptin again; Rads Feb2014

Page 2 of 2 (20 results)

Scroll to top button