Topic: How about women over 70

Forum: Older Than 60 Years Old With Breast Cancer — Meet other women who are similar in age and dealing with age-appropriate issues.

Posted on: Sep 5, 2021 01:44PM

Posted on: Sep 5, 2021 01:44PM

ohionana1605 wrote:

when do you call it quits? When does quality trump quantity

Page 10 of 10 (92 results)

Dec 1, 2022 11:40AM maggie15 wrote:

weninwi: I'm sorry that you had progression after a short time on everolimus and fulvestrant. Hopefully your next treatment will work longer.

Dr. Bardia is my MO. I really like him because he is a caring person, willing to discuss the science behind everything, and objectively presents the pros and cons of different courses of action. Elacestrant came up in relation to my decision to skip the AIs for now due to their side effects and my situation. Elacestrant does have SEs (nausea and vomiting) but they are different from those caused by AIs and might be more tolerable to some people (like me who puts up with lower GI SEs from my anemia treatment.) He is hoping to do a clinical trial in the future with early stage bc patients since this drug might become an alternative to tamoxifen and AIs.

I never did chemo (oncotype of 24 so not recommended at my age), considered tamoxifen but ruled that out because of family history of stroke and an Italian study showing high incidence of DVT in women over 70, and nixed the AIs due to osteoporosis, osteoarthritis and an enlarging thyroid. I got through rads OK but six months later developed late stage radiation pneumonitis with progressive pulmonary fibrosis. My RO got me into the ILD clinic right away where they prescribed prednisone which contained the PF to my right lung. According to my pulmonologist I probably had subclinical ILD from micro aspiration of gastric acid (Barrett's esophagus and esophagitis/upper GI bleed 4 years ago) and should not have done radiation. It is not a contraindication in the current SOC like autoimmune diseases are. My doctor sees a 90% correlation in his practice (mostly rads for lung cancer) but nobody has been able to prove a cause/effect relationship yet. I'm currently on a high dose corticosteroid inhaler to lessen the debilitating cough. Thankfully I'm able to walk 3 miles on level ground (albeit at 3 mph rather than my previous 4) and am hoping my recently increased dose will help the SOB on exertion.

If you're interested in trying elacestrant, have you contacted Menarini-Stemline to see if there are any upcoming clinical trials? It's due for quick FDA approval and I'm sure they are trying to maximize its usage. Best wishes for finding an effective next treatment.

DX 2/15/2021, IDC, Right, 3 cm, stage 2A, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Dec 1, 2022 09:30PM racheldog wrote:

Well, I had the Ortho f/u and he was very pleased with my progress and ROM, etc. I feel like it is time to move on from breast cancer and then the joint replacement, get a trainer to lose some of this weight all this brought on and move on with life. Of course, I did thrown in the question again about joint replacements and AI drugs. And, no answer, which surprises me that this has never been posted in any medical Ortho journals. The PA was most interested and is attending a conference in December. I told her to stand up tall and ask that question from the audience --- a real academic question IMO.

I may give Aromasin a try next year at my 6 month mark but I am more of a pessimist on all the three drugs. Another oncologist had mentioned Tamoxifen in low dose now. Maybe that is out of the box (5 mg instead of 20 mg) and there are articles about this. But it seems that may only be used for DCIS?

Dx 9/2020, IDC, Left, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 3, ER+/PR+, HER2+ Radiation Therapy 6/1/2021 Whole breast Chemotherapy Other Surgery Lumpectomy; Lumpectomy (Left) Chemotherapy Chemotherapy Other

Page 10 of 10 (92 results)

Scroll to top button