Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Recall after 5 year mammogram

bambi13
bambi13 Member Posts: 7

I had lumpectomy on right breast 5 years ago, caught really early stage 1/grade 1. I had my 5 year mammogram last week & today I got a recall for paddle and ultrasound on left breast. Just when I thought I was over the 5 year milestone! trying not to think the worst but is not working tonight. Has anyone else had this experience?

Comments

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 7,815

Hi bambi, and welcome to Breastcancer.org.

We're so sorry for the worries that bring you here, but we're really glad you've found us and decided to post. You're sure to find our amazing community a wonderful source of advice, information, encouragement, and support while you figure out what's going on. We're all here for you!

We know it can be traumatizing to have to relive the possibility of another diagnosis. Try to stay calm and positive and know that your doctors are likely being super cautious, given your history, and it very well may be nothing at all to worry about. When is your ultrasound scheduled for?

We're all here for you, no matter what, but just know we are sending good thoughts for nothing at all to worry about! Please keep us posted!

--The Mods

• bambi13

That makes me feel so much better, you are right about the clinic being extra cautious, the recall letter only landed yesterday and I am feeling much more optimistic today. The ultrasound is on Thurs so that isn't long to wait at all. Thank you so much for your reply, it really helped me.

• bambi13

Here is my update for all you ladies who are watching. I had an eventful day today - turned out to be a cluster of calcification crystals, they did paddle, scan and biopsy, consultant said nothing to worry about and is seeing me in clinic next weds for result. I had resigned myself to getting bad news and here I am feeling sore but happy today. The breast I had op on is NED so more good news at 5 years X

• maggie15
    maggie15 Member Posts: 817

Great news it turned out to be nothing to worry about. I hope the biopsy pain doesn't last too long.

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 7,815

Bambi, we are happy to hear that, so glad it was benign. Thank you for sharing... Celebrate!!

The Mods

• bambi13

I got the results of my biopsy this week. Consultant told me that the cells are pre- cancerous and in situ., which apparently means they can't go anywhere. Also said the cells are dividing but didnt really understand what she meant. Says it's about 2cm, is the lowest of the low grade and is quite common in older breasts. Due to my history she is removing it on 22/12. Says unless things change when she does op I'm unlikely to need radiotherapy. If they hadn't found it on this mammo it would have been three years to my next one so might have been a different outcome - so feeling that I've been lucky - thank God for mammograms.

• maggie15

bambi13: I'm glad your doctor is being proactive. A few years ago my mammogram showed architectural distortion probably caused by a radial scar, a precancerous lesion. I was put on surveillance but nothing showed up until two and a half years later when I had a 3 cm IDC tumor in the same location. Recently SOC for radial scars has been changed to excisional biopsy, but unfortunately mine occurred when watchful waiting was the norm. I hope your surgery goes well!

• bambi13

Thanks for your reply Maggie. If consultant hadn't suggested surgery I would have asked for it - think I would just worry more if they were keeping an eye on me. Do you have to take any meds., I tried tamoxifen 5 years ago but it made me so ill, I wonder now if I should have persisted with it. She says I might benefit from some kind of hormone blocker.

• maggie15

Hi Bambi, My oncologist recommended 10 years of AIs but I decided against them because of my other health problems they could negatively impact. The hormone blockers reduce the risk of recurrence by about 50% but they don't come with a guarantee. You could always try an aromatase inhibitor (there are three different types) to see how you do on it. Some people have minimal side effects but others find the side effects disabling. Sometimes switching to another med does the trick. It's a decision that does not have an easy answer.

• bambi13

I was due to have surgery on 22nd dec & passed fit for op, have a really bad cold which I’m hoping has gone by then. Today they have changed date of op to 23rd, my consultant is off indefinitely and it will be a different consultant surgeon. I was quite settled about it all & I really trust Lisa who did my last op - I know I should be grateful that it’s is going ahead but can’t help worrying that I don’t know the new consultant.

• maggie15

It's a worry that you haven't met the new surgeon. However, if the doctor who did the last surgery isn't there any more you have to go with a new one. I hope the surgery goes well.

• rahrah2023
    rahrah2023 Member Posts: 13

The same month that I met my 5 year cancer free, I was diagnosed with IDC close to the areas where the first tumor was found. I am beyond stressed and worried. PETSCAN showed no abnormal uptick for cancer in any other part of my body. Went for my MRI w contrast and they had to stop the procedure due to the burning sensation in my arm. I have to repeat this procedure in 1o days. I cried all the way home because I am really scared. I know how you feel.

• bambi13

hi rahrah2023

Try not to worry, I know it’s easier said than done. We have to be thankful that they are looking after us. I got covid at Christmas so my op was cancelled for 7 weeks. Looks like mine is dcis & I have just had the cells removed last fri. Obviously it had to go to lab and my follow up isn’t until 15th march, so a bit of a wait again, that’s the worst part of going through all this isn’t it. . I get the burning sensation in the arm on side I had first lumpectomy. When I told consultant she said it is a nerve pain & it could have been damaged or irritated. Try to remain positive - I find that is the best medicine, let me know how you go on x

• rahrah2023

Hi Bambi13

Thank you for your kind words of encouragement. I am scheduled for my MRI with and without contrast on March 14th and my oncologist on the 15th. Feeling a little better but scared. Just want to know my treatment plan and get started.

Take care

Rahrah2023

• rahrah2023

Update: MRI of the breast was successful. Based on the results, I am Stage 1A IDC with a 1.7 cm mass and 2.0 cm mass where the lumpectomy procedure was done. Local reoccurrence, did not invade my lymph nodes. Pathologist said that the lumpectomy area is more worrisome than the 1.7 cm mass. Started chemo treatments on 3/17/2023. Carboplatin,Taxol and Ketruda. Keytruda no issues;taxol major muscle spasms in less than 6 minutes. They stopped the taxol and called my doctor. Gave me more Benadryl, oxygen and something else that stopped the spasm. Doctor said they will try a different treatment next week. Continue with the Carboplatin without any complications. I am very happy to start treatment and very happy it is in the early stage.

• rahrah2023
    edited April 2023

My doctor called me on Wednesday 4/12 to tell me that there is a shortage of Carboplatin and that they are not sure when they will have a supply of it. My world just crashed!!!!! She suggested I continue with the other chemo treatment but I am so terrified of what comes next. Update s we speak, they have Carboplatin. Treatment number 5 of 12. Feeling positive.

Take care ya’ll

Rahrah