Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Found a lump on rib. Hate worrying so much!

Options

I just found a small lump-type of thing on my left lower rib (cancer side). I had my husband see if he could feel it, and he can, too. I called my PCP and will be going in th morning to have it checked out. I hate starting rounds of testing; I hate it so much, but I think it needs to be checked.

Has anyone had anything like this? It is a little smaller than a grape.

When do we ever NOT think that everything is cancer?

Comments

• bevin
    bevin Member Posts: 519
    edited March 2012
    Options

Awww- Thankful, I'm so sorry that you need to worry about this.  Hopefully its nothing but some arthritic changes.  While I haven't had anything like this, I wanted to send you thoughts of strength as you wait for your appointment and scans. 

Good luck, keep us posted.

• Miller1353
    Miller1353 Member Posts: 5
    edited March 2012
    Options

I had the same thing happen. I almost passed out when I felt a small lump while showering. I went to the oncologist and she said it was a tumor. I swear I broke out in a cold sweat. She did a needle aspiration on it. It was fat necrosis. It is very common after a mastectomy.  Hope you find similar benign results. :)

• thankful4life
    thankful4life Member Posts: 18
    edited March 2012
    Options

Thanks so much for the replies! I will check back in tomorrow after my appointment.

• SAMayoFL
    SAMayoFL Member Posts: 63
    edited March 2012
    Options

Sherry, this is bizarre!!!  I signed on because I am having the EXACT same thing you are having.  I bent down this weekend and had a pain in my ribs.  I started feeling the area and I have a lump the size of a lima bean or so on my ribcage just under my breast.  Do your ribs hurt?  For the most part, it feels like a bruise.  If I move a certain way my rib area is sore but unless I move or touch the area it doesn't really hurt.  I went to my general surgeon, who is on spring break, and saw his PA.  She did an ultrasound and said it doesn't look like anything to her but she is sending me for an ultrasound with a radiologist and a chest xray on Thursday.  Please let me know what you find out tomorrow.  I am trying not to panic but I am one year post treatment on March 23.  I really want to stay post treatment!!  By the way, I am an ILC girl too.  I had DIEP reconstruction in August. 

Susan

• thankful4life
    edited March 2012
    Options

Susan, my doc sent me for CT scan. I'm now waiting on call from doc. I know that panicked feeling. Hope things go well for you.

• kyliet
    kyliet Member Posts: 587
    edited March 2012
    Options

Wow, I found one also. It aches and hurts to touch. My GP and onco said not to worry as it is an accumulation of blood and fluid after operation, just to watch for infection.  It is still hard not to worry, but I only had a CT scan 5 weeks ago and that was clear. x

• weety
    weety Member Posts: 371
    edited March 2012
    Options

Hoping for good news.

• SAMayoFL
    edited March 2012
    Options

Thankful, when will you get the results of your CT?  I go for an ultrasound and chest Xray tomorrow.  I hate waiting!  All of us having the same symptoms though does give me some comfort.  Surely we wouldn't all have the same symptoms if something was wrong.

Kato, how long ago was your surgery?  I had DIEP stage 1 in August and stage 2 in November.  To me, hat seems like a long time after surgery to still have pain.

Weety, thank for the kind thoughts.  I am hoping for good news too!

Please come back here and post results.  I hate not ever knowing what happened!

Susan

• msjag
    msjag Member Posts: 64
    edited March 2012
    Options

This is crazy, but I signed on to read if anyone had this, found a spot that felt a bit sore and when you touch it..WOW, made me jump it hurt so much, under the rad/bc side...has to be from radiation...I see onc/BS  in APril..when I come back from vacation, end of March, I will call...but I'm not ruining this vacation!!   Good luck to everyone.

• SAMayoFL
    edited March 2012
    Options

What about you other ladies?  Radiation?  I didn't have radiation.  Msjag, how long ago was your radiation?  I agree, DO NOT let this ruin your vacation.  Have a wonderful time.  We are all having the same symptoms which leads me to believe it is nothing serious.

Susan

• barbe1958
    barbe1958 Member Posts: 7,605
    edited March 2012
    Options

Hey ladies, Google "Costochondritis" and see if that makes sense for you. It is INCREDIBLY painful, but not serious.

• msjag
    msjag Member Posts: 64
    edited March 2012
    Options

Thanks Barbe, I will do that now!!

• kyliet
    kyliet Member Posts: 587
    edited March 2012
    Options

Just looked up costochondritis and it said there is no swelling just pain, I definitely have a prominent lump like a big pea.

I had lumpectomy in Dec '11. Full clearance Jan '11 and have just had chemo 2 of 6. Radiotherapy isn't till after chemo finishes.  Doc said no cancer should grow while having chemo, so lets hope not.

It is so hard not to worry, I sometimes feel like the Drs are so used to it all they become a bit dismissive.

Hugs (not on the sore spot) to everyone, Kylie x

• barbe1958
    edited March 2012
    Options

My lump felt like a thumb was under the skin and lying on the rib bone. It hurt with pressure. An ultrasound showed it to be "normal breast tissue". The doc and I looked back at my double mast chest and he said "Well, you know what they mean when they say normal."

• kerri72
    kerri72 Member Posts: 6
    edited March 2012
    Options

Hi everyone, just as I was finishing radiation last year I noticed a lump on my lower cancer-side rib - it didn't exactly hurt but made the area feel tender/sore. The ultrasound showed it was a benign lipoma (fatty tumor). None of my doctors were the least concerned and told me to ignore it. I was totally freaked out and know exactly how you ladies are feeling! I hope and pray yours turn out to be nothing too. 

• thankful4life
    edited March 2012
    Options

Will have surgery on Thursday to excise cyst.

• SAMayoFL
    edited March 2012
    Options

Thankful, have they given you any idea what to expect?  I HATE waiting.

I had an ultrasound and chest xray on Thursday.  Both tests did not show anything remarkable.  My rib pain is still pretty bad though.  Yesterday I was in a lot of pain.  It hurt to take a deep breath and to bend down.  I don't want to incur any more medical bills but I am not comfortable ignoring being in pain either.  I have an appointment on Wednesday with the surgeon so I will have to see what he says.

UGH!!!!

Susan

• SAMayoFL
    edited March 2012
    Options

Barbe,

I just saw your post on costochondritis.  That actually sounds exactly like what I have.  I told my husband last night that if the pain was on my left side I would think I was having a heart attack.  My symptoms match what I read very close.  I will keep ya'll posted but that gives me some mental relief.

Susan

• thankful4life
    edited March 2012
    Options

SAM, he thinks it is probably just a cyst, but I just want to know for sure. He said I will have a 2- to 3-inch incision; surgery should only take about 30 minutes.

• barbe1958
    edited March 2012
    Options

Susan, my pain is on my left side, too!! It happened once at work and I went to the guy next to me cause I was so worried. He said "Should I call an ambulance" and I said "I don't know!!" I had a full cardiac work-up to dicount heart issues just in case. It was VERY scary and VERY, VERY painful!! How can it just be inflamation as it hurts SO much!!!

• barbe1958
    edited March 2012
    Options

Thankful, I will be thinking of you as you get the bugger out on Thursday. Anxious to hear what it is and how you do!! You are in my prayers until I hear otherwise.

• Karen3
    Karen3 Member Posts: 37
    edited March 2012
    Options

I have the same - had it for many months now and predates my recent bilateral mast for my second BC. I have pain in ribs too - feels 'bruised' to touch. The lump is soft though and moveable. It's about 2cm. My doc said not to lose sleep over it because he thinks it's a lipoma (a harmless benign tumour). I see my surgeon on Friday and I am sure he will say the same. I dont feel especially worried about it now.

• BouncingBetties
    BouncingBetties Member Posts: 50
    edited March 2012
    Options

I hope it's just a cyst. I have tenderness in my rib area on the right side (cancer side) but I'm afraid to feel around. I have tenderness in my breast and under my arm, too. I used the ipalm hand massager my Mom bought me from Hammacher Schlemmer to improve my neuropathy and we think that it may have stimulated my lymph glands. I have an appointment for my Zoladex implant next Thursday (on my birthday, yet) and think I might ask to see my onc for a quick check. I don't think it matters what stage we are or how much time goes by - I think the fear is always going to be there.

• SAMayoFL
    edited March 2012
    Options

Barbe, is this something that comes and goes for you?  Or something that happened and then you healed from it?  It's really weird because Sunday night I was contemplating going to the ER because it hurt so bad to take a breath and then Monday it was completely gone.  BC is driving me CRAZY!!!

Thankful, I will be thinking of you on Thursday too.  Please let us know what he says.  I go back to the surgeon tomorrow but I already know the ultrasound and chest Xray didn't show anything unusual.  UGH!!!

Bouncing, happy early birthday and keep us posted!

Susan

• barbe1958
    edited March 2012
    Options

Susan, it comes and goes. When it REALLY happens, I can't even breathe. It scares the crap out of my DH as he sees the look on my face!! I bend over a chair back trying to "support" my ribs as I force myself to try to breathe. I had wondered at one point if it was a form of pleursy (sp?) and they say to do that to force air into your lungs.

Otherwise, I just notice that the area is tender if pushed on. It keeps me from checking myself for lumps as it hurts to push.

• SAMayoFL
    edited March 2012
    Options

Barbe, that is exactly the symptoms I have.  Sometimes the pain is severe while other times I just have a sore or tender spot.  I picked up my films and report today to take with me to my doctor's appointment and it said the irregularity is at the costochondral injunction.  I feel much better just knowing that.

Thanks so much for your support during this!

Susan

• barbe1958
    edited March 2012
    Options

Susan, please let us know what your doc says!!! Glad to have been of comfort.

• SAMayoFL
    edited March 2012
    Options

I have costochondritis!!!!!  I am SO happy!!!  I have been in so much pain plus having a lump has had me in a tailspin.  A heavy weight has been lifted!!  Thank you so much for getting me through this!

Thankful, I hope your heavy weight is lifted tomorrow as well.  Please let us know!

Susan

• barbe1958
    edited March 2012
    Options

Susan, it's still a painful symptom to have, what did the doc recommend for you? I'm SO happy for you but I do know it's still painful...

• SAMayoFL
    edited March 2012
    Options

I am still having major leg pain from either chemo or the Neupogen shots.  March 23 I am one year post chemo but I still have terrible leg pain.  In order to sleep, I have to take Mobic every night.  My surgeon said that would be enough but I could ibuprofen if needed.  He also mentioned that costochondritis is very painful and will last a while.  He said probably 5-6 weeks.  Honestly, as long as the beast is not back and I don't have to worry about having chemo again I will not complain.  Well, I probably will complain but I know it could be a lot worse!

How long have you been dealing with this?

Susan